Eric Black named in Telegraph investigation

DuncanRG

Unless clubs learn how to mind-read, there's not much you can do about stuff like this. He knew people, he's made recommendations, he's incredibly stupid and naive. and he's out of a job.

The reporters didn't need to mind read. We can't criticise the club too much without knowing what reputation Black had on the inside track, but one suspects it wasn't squeaky clean.

You can never be 100% in the vetting process, but our reaction to it will really say where we stand. He will be gone tomorrow.

Indeed.

So we need a new French speaking assistant manager - any ideas?

Our French speaking ex centre back who looks after the under 23's will step up imo. He's been more closely involved with the first team set up so should be seamless.

One thing that is interesting is that it was his long time friend / agent who set it up. Makes you wonder what they had on the agent!

Shame no one gives a **** about agents and they have to make it about club employees to get a scoop.

That guy must want the ground to swallow him up. If the reporters hadn't fooled him, they wouldn't have got Allardyce or Black.

Can I get something straight here, is this Scott mcgarvy in the know about the telegraph insider, cups if he did know he has big time crapped on people he's known in football for many a year.

Reading it through it looks like he's a patsy stitched up by the Telegraph - the paper seem to have used mates of high profile managers to get to them rather than just go direct. It makes sense as an effective sting technique but there's more than a whiff of entrapment going on. Still, he's been busted and he'll be gone by teatime.

It looks like I'm in the minority here but I feel a bit sorry for him , I know it's wrong and dodgy, but still I also know I've spouted a bit of BS after a couple of drinks trying to impress people.

Probably better to try and impress people by being on the straight and narrow. If I had a meeting with someone and they bragged how they could bribe people (or buy them for a few pieces of silver) then I really wouldn't be impressed. Maybe its normal in football, but not in my life it isn't.

Probably better to try and impress people by being on the straight and narrow. If I had a meeting with someone and they bragged how they could bribe people (or buy them for a few pieces of silver) then I really wouldn't be impressed. Maybe its normal in football, but not in my life it isn't.
People say and do stupid things , I suppose you should be congratulated that you don't - still expect him to be sacked ,which would look like a good decision,doesn't stop me feeling sorry for him though.

Here's the full excerpt from Ralph's interview the other day on the Sam Allardyce business:

"Oh my God. I have to tell you, really, absolutely shocked and shuddered. Our whole board is shocked and upset by it. Multiple messages through the day yesterday and this morning. We've been a club that's been driving, wanting to get control of the evolving agent world around us, and we believe we're going to have ears now. Southampton is built on a completely honest and open culture and on values. The reason I took the job was the unbelievable value structure and foundation of our owner, Katharina Liebherr. ... That's why I embraced this, was to be able to lead and be the de facto owner of an organization where it was driven by culture. So we're extremely upset by this. We see it as a shocking evolution that -- I wouldn't say we're so naïve to believe that this didn't exist, but we did think it wasn't part of our English football culture. We're going to use this, for sure, as a club, to fight for change and to fight for more regulation. We are all for regulation, and we are one of the most disciplined clubs in English football in terms of the way we deal with agents and youth academy players. Staying within the rules is something we really -- everything we do is based on that. We will react, for sure. It's going to become a major thing for me when I get back. Absolutely top of the agenda."

Here's the full excerpt from Ralph's interview the other day on the Sam Allardyce business:

"Oh my God. I have to tell you, really, absolutely shocked and shuddered. Our whole board is shocked and upset by it. Multiple messages through the day yesterday and this morning. We've been a club that's been driving, wanting to get control of the evolving agent world around us, and we believe we're going to have ears now. Southampton is built on a completely honest and open culture and on values. The reason I took the job was the unbelievable value structure and foundation of our owner, Katharina Liebherr. ... That's why I embraced this, was to be able to lead and be the de facto owner of an organization where it was driven by culture. So we're extremely upset by this. We see it as a shocking evolution that -- I wouldn't say we're so naïve to believe that this didn't exist, but we did think it wasn't part of our English football culture. We're going to use this, for sure, as a club, to fight for change and to fight for more regulation. We are all for regulation, and we are one of the most disciplined clubs in English football in terms of the way we deal with agents and youth academy players. Staying within the rules is something we really -- everything we do is based on that. We will react, for sure. It's going to become a major thing for me when I get back. Absolutely top of the agenda."

Black will be lucky to escape with a public burning!

I think Les Reed is going to take some flack from the owner and the Chaiman because he must have appointed Black and they would rely on him for inside knowledge about someone involved in English football and for the due diligence prior to appointment. This may well reflect badly on him.

It is also disappointing that Black must have known for a few days that he had been set up by the Telegraph and the fact the club didn't find an excuse to leave him in England today would suggest to me that he failed to be upfront and warn Les Reed what was going down. If Black had been upfront with the club it may have also stopped Ralph doing his 'we're white than white' interview yesterday which is now already being used to embarrass the club.

Not sure how you can defend him really. He knew what he was doing when he decided to meet up. It was not as if they just bumped into each other. He went there with the intention of doing something. Talking about how to bribe officials was totally stupid. Then indicating to take a couple of grand after it was set up sounds like a bung to me. The point is if he was caught doing that what else has been up to? Has to go no excuses.

Ralph is trying to get Team Europe ready to play the best hockey team in the world right now, with puck drop in a few hours. I feel sorry for him with this Black business, particularly because I think that integrity is something that he values above most other things.

I am not 100% sure on his role at Saints but I assumed that he is something akin to Katharina's surrogate at the club. His comments about integrity a few days ago have really painted him into a corner. That being said, as Chairman of the club, he really needs to be on hand to deal with nonsense like this instead of coaching at a pre-season hockey tournament. Or perhaps he could just fire Black by Skype. It's been done before...;)

If Eric Black uses the Allardyce defence - that it was entrapment and he wouldn't have demonstrated a willingness to break the rules if he'd known he was being filmed, isn't likely to get much sympathy. It's rather like saying you wouldn't have robbed a corner shop if you'd known it had CCTV.

I don't think we can assume this will have no adverse effect on the club or the team. Eric is bound to be given an opportunity to defend himself but but the timing is very unfortunate when the team is in such a busy period of games. At the very least it is a distraction for Les Reed and Claude Puel which they will want to be over, one way or the other, as quickly as possible.

On the broader issue, you could argue that The Telegraph is doing the FA's job for them. We shouldn't have to rely on newspapers to try to clean up the game but the governance of football in England is fragmented between the FA, the Premier League and the EFL. The three bodies have issued a joint statement this evening, which some might say is arse-covering, but the very fact that it is a joint statement shows that no one organisation is in control.

Joey Barton

Speaks good French *tick

Available *tick

Respected *tick

Ready *tick

Willing *tick

Guranteed to improve under Puel *tick

Can double up as player *tick

Seems a no brainer

Minor issue that he's a loon who's under contract elsewhere and the transfer window is shut.

Minor issue that he's a loon who's under contract elsewhere and the transfer window is shut.

Eric Black could consult us on loopholes?

It's possible that you could sign him (Joey) as assistant manager and later (few days) register him as a player.

Eric will know the steps to take so we should ask him before sacking him

Wait a minute, we are employing an assistant manager who lives 140 miles away....... Wtf is that about?????

If the bloke cannot be arsed to move here and commit to the job then he should not be here anyway.....

I find this type of strategy in employing an important manager baffling....

In fact it cannot work - end of!

Get rid..... The bloke must be sacked........oh dear stupid guy...Well done the Telegraph for exposing the bent people in the game...

I just can't understand how rotten and corrupt some people seem to be. Call me a soft old leftie with his head in the clouds if you like but I wonder whether this is just the tip of a very rotten iceberg. It's becoming difficult to believe that almost everyone in football isn't on the make.

I wonder whether this is just the tip of a very rotten iceberg. It's becoming difficult to believe that almost everyone in football isn't on the make.

Can icebergs be rotten? - unless they're lettuce. "This is just the tip of a very rotten lettuce" doesn't have the same ring to it though.

I didn't rate Black and would have preferred we kept Sammy Lee - but having said that what he did was fairly minor - advising who could be approached about promising players. No tapping up. Against the rules but not heinous.

Ralph is trying to get Team Europe ready to play the best hockey team in the world right now, with puck drop in a few hours. I feel sorry for him with this Black business, particularly because I think that integrity is something that he values above most other things.

I am not 100% sure on his role at Saints but I assumed that he is something akin to Katharina's surrogate at the club. His comments about integrity a few days ago have really painted him into a corner. That being said, as Chairman of the club, he really needs to be on hand to deal with nonsense like this instead of coaching at a pre-season hockey tournament. Or perhaps he could just fire Black by Skype. It's been done before...;)

Black works for Les Reed not Ralph Kreugar, it's up to Les now but he's in Israel at the moment.