Benali's Big Race

Sour Mash

Love the fact our lads didn't say "up the royals" though haha!

I may have booed him when he said that, lol. Madejski did follow it up with "Come on you Saints" though! Very nice of Madejski to invite those of us that turned up to support Franny into the stadium for the photos as well as the friends and family. Top job.

Looking forward to welcoming Franny back at SMS, in absolute awe of him. In typical Franny style he had time for every single one of us last night, despite being absolutely knackered. He was still so full of enthusiasm, so so inspirational.

I may have booed him when he said that, lol. Madejski did follow it up with "Come on you Saints" though! Very nice of Madejski to invite those of us that turned up to support Franny into the stadium for the photos as well as the friends and family. Top job.

Looking forward to welcoming Franny back at SMS, in absolute awe of him. In typical Franny style he had time for every single one of us last night, despite being absolutely knackered. He was still so full of enthusiasm, so so inspirational.

Just heard him say that the £365k includes £265k from his last one 2 years ago. So that means about £100k raised for this 44 club effort.

Quite disappointing. With the amount of money being flung around at the top end of football, you would expect contributions from players and club charitable foundations to easily surpass his target. 25k from Saints players and the foundation is pretty poor IMO.

Just heard him say that the £365k includes £265k from his last one 2 years ago. So that means about £100k raised for this 44 club effort.

Really!! ****. Where did you hear him say that?

Just made another donation.

Where is the money from fellow professionals. I know they all probably have their own charities they support, but, £100k for that effort.

I hope Virgin Media are adding to it as well.

Franny is an inspiration. As well as a local born legend.

Do fans of other clubs know of what he has achieved? The charity he is supporting I suspect deals with a subject that has touched us all in some way not just those in Southampton.

Does anyone have connections/links with other supporters fan forums who can place a post on their forums with a link to Franny donate page?

Really!! ****. Where did you hear him say that?

Just made another donation.

Where is the money from fellow professionals. I know they all probably have their own charities they support, but, £100k for that effort.

I hope Virgin Media are adding to it as well.

Franny is an inspiration. As well as a local born legend.

He said that on TalkSport this morning.

Everton gave Sunderland's mascot £200k, so I would hope that the club did at least the same for Franny.

Seems that the club has donated £20k

Have heard that the players donated £200 each and the club made up the rest.

If the player donation figure is correct, I guess we will all have our individual views about whether this was a suitable figure.

Also heard that the support given to Franny by the Cancer Research PR team was very poor and it was only the intervention of a local PR company, who gave their time for free, which enabled Franny's fine efforts to get wider publicity both locally and nationally (eg MOTD2)

Seems that the club has donated £20k

If the player donation figure is correct, I guess we will all have our individual views about whether this was a suitable figure.

Also heard that the support given to Franny by the Cancer Research PR team was very poor and it was only the intervention of a local PR company, who gave their time for free, which enabled Franny's fine efforts to get wider publicity both locally and nationally (eg MOTD2)

Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me.

As I said, no one should be beholden to contribute, not least as they may well have other charities. But £200! I wouldn't have bothered if I were them. I know that the average PL player earns 63 times the average national wage (and our top earners are more like 125 times the average national wage), so £1500 would have been a nice gesture to a man who is Saints through and through. But I'm sure that they all have their other charities that they support and that are just as worthy. I do too, but still managed to donate. In fact I am thinking of upping my donation to £201.

As I said, no one should be beholden to contribute, not least as they may well have other charities. But £200! I wouldn't have bothered if I were them. I know that the average PL player earns 63 times the average national wage (and our top earners are more like 125 times the average national wage), so £1500 would have been a nice gesture to a man who is Saints through and through. But I'm sure that they all have their other charities that they support and that are just as worthy. I do too, but still managed to donate. In fact I am thinking of upping my donation to £201.

It's nice that the players have chosen to contribute. We also don't know if any of them have donated more privately. Pretty ridiculous turning your nose up at £200 each purely because they earn a lot of money. I'm sure franny was grateful for the support and that's what matters.

My personal opinion is that an organised whip round in the current dressing room of the club where the guy was a legend, should have produced a significant amount.

The club made efforts through allowing collections and several other concessions, but in an era where players are commonly thought of as selfish and money-driven, sadly the amount donated appears to reinforce that feeling, and adds a little more distance between the fans, and players who kiss shirts but care little.

My personal opinion is that an organised whip round in the current dressing room of the club where the guy was a legend, should have produced a significant amount.

The club made efforts through allowing collections and several other concessions, but in an era where players are commonly thought of as selfish and money-driven, sadly the amount donated appears to reinforce that feeling, and adds a little more distance between the fans, and players who kiss shirts but care little.

Absolutely.

If 11 players from each of the 20 teams chucked in £5000 he'd raise £1.1M (or 22 did £2,500). Not a lot in their world

I think the publicity for this has been pretty poor. I couldn't believe that what he did was humanly possible and it could have been a good national press story. Press not intersted though. I remember during his last superhuman effort, a dog kennel or similar burnt down and the press were all over it. 100's of thousands raised instantly. A few TV interviews at premier league training grounds - 'Have you donated to franisbigrun?' would to be sure have got some donations and other fans/people would have followed. Big profile millionaire might have come on board too. Its a big story when you explain what he actually did. I still can't believe it was possible. Mind you, I wouldn't argue with him. Sad reflection on UK press.