The Checkatrade Trophy...a real incentive .or just a gimmick ?

david in sweden

well it used to be the Johnsons Paint Trophy to most of us....

A well-argued debate on today's BBC football site points to " the rights and wrongs" of allowing some Premier League clubs to have their "B team" (U23's) to take part in the competition, which we can recall..... we won in 2010, but which had previously only been open to L1/L2 clubs.

Those of you interested enough can read the article for themselves, but I wondered just how many people who regularly read / visit this site actually follow our U18/ U23 sides with any degree of interest.

In bygone years, when I was still living in So'ton ....I used to walk to The Dell and watched " the Reserves " (as they were then) at every opportunity, but found that many fans who came to first team games knew little of nothing about those up-and-coming youngsters and could scarcely name more than 3-4 of " the Stiffs ".

I'm wondering how many of you ...if you're still reading this ..actually follow the the Academy / U23 sides.. .or even go to Staplwood to watch games?

I manage to visit SMS and get in a few games a season, but have not yet managed to watch the youngsters " live ", (although many are on YouTube nowadays).

So what's your response? ..Do you follow the Academy sides...or just follow the first team matches?

Edited by david in sweden

I watch some youth games at St Mary's and online. Always interested to see the next batch progress. I'd go to Staplewood for games too if they let us in.

Not particularly interested in tonight's game although obviously I'll be wanting the youngsters to play well

well it used to be the Johnsons Paint Trophy to most of us....

A well-argued debate on today's BBC football site points to " the rights and wrongs" of allowing some Premier League clubs to have their "B team" (U23's) to take part in the competition, which we can recall..... we won in 2010, but which had previously only been open to L1/L2 clubs.

Those of you interested enough can read the article for themselves, but I wondered just how many people who regularly read / visit this site actually follow our U18/ U23 sides with any degree of interest.

In bygone years, when I was still living in So'ton ....I used to walk to The Dell and watched " the Reserves " (as they were then) at every opportunity, but found that many fans who came to first team games knew little of nothing about those up-and-coming youngsters and could scarcely name more than 3-4 of " the Stiffs ".

I'm wondering how many of you ...if you're still reading this ..actually follow the the Academy / U23 sides.. .or even go to Staplwood to watch games?

I manage to visit SMS and get in a few games a season, but have not yet managed to watch the youngsters " live ", (although many are on YouTube nowadays).

So what's your response? ..Do you follow the Academy sides...or just follow the first team matches?

I think most serious saints fans would manage to name at least 4 players that have played for our U23's this season....

Used to be regulars at Staplewood with Mrs Saint when we lived in Southampton.

We'd watch the kids most weekends and saw Bale, Walcott, Ox and many others haring up and down the wing just a couple of metres the other side of the rope.

Would still go now if we lived closer. There was a surprisingly good atmosphere considering the relatively small crowd and it was rather quaint walking across to queue up for a cuppa served by tea ladies in white coats.

We'd often chat to the lads after the game when they'd come back out to meet up with their mums....

As mentioned above, I have great memories of watching the reserves on a Saturday at the Dell.

It seems a lifetime away now, getting the first team scores over the tannoy and cheering if Big Ron or Chivers had scored...

Happy days....

I'm always interested in how the academy is getting on. I'm one of the few who like that we are in the EFL Trophy.

A team like this tonight?

----------McCarthy-----------

Valery--Jones--Wood--McQueen

--------Reed---O'connor------

Johnson---Hesketh----Sims

----------Olomola-----------

The team could easily change as I’ve no idea if Stephens’ inclusion in the Eng U21’s precludes him from this game & I’m not sure what Isgrove’s status is

I tell you what, there's potential to make a lot of money betting on this. The youth teams are all very long odds despite potentially have a few senior players in.

Saints, leicester, everton, sunderland and west brom all to win against league 1 or 2 sides is 200/1.

I tell you what, there's potential to make a lot of money betting on this. The youth teams are all very long odds despite potentially have a few senior players in.

Saints, leicester, everton, sunderland and west brom all to win against league 1 or 2 sides is 200/1.

Well they are all away which increases the odds, turns out only 5/14 under 23 teams won.

Wonder if we will see Olomola in around the first team soon like what little I've seen of him rather Shane long like in his work rate and speed.

He already has been, was out in Israel and has been training with the first team, I was very impressed with him when I went to Man Utd at home in u23s and i expect he'll be given a run out against Sunderland in the cup or one of the final Europa group games depending on what's at stake.

The criticism of the timing of these games appears to be justified, in a u21 tournament we had FOUR players away with England u21s trip to Kazakhstan which arguably is better experience for the lads.

I might go along for Crawley at home , a ticket stub from that one could be crucial to secure a ticket for Wembley if we make the final........

I saw a total of 721 quoted, but no idea how many we had.

The echo article said 52. A nice touch from CUFC was a poster at the away end congratulating the Saints fans would travelled the 153 miles to the stadium.

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14781713.Colchester_1_2_Southampton_Under_23s__Olomola_secures_Trophy_win/?ref=mac

Edited by AllSorts

Ta yeah just checked on BBC. They seem to think it is U21s

It is U21s. The Premier League 2 team is U23s, but because the EFL have their finger on the pulse and all that, they've made the rules to match last year's dev squad rules.

I think, can't say I'm paying that much attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that Saints have made no attempt to promote the home game in this competition, even though it is quite soon.

Crawley Town have confirmed the date is Wednesday 9th November , kick off 7.45pm, entry is £5 adults, £3 concessions and £1 for under 11s. The mad thing is there is another game at St Marys the FOLLOWING night, England u21s v Italy u21s where you potentially get to see 4 Saints u23s perform in that.

http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/article/2016-17/crawley-town-southampton-3383867.aspx

Well they are all away which increases the odds, turns out only 5/14 under 23 teams won.

But only one of the teams I listed didn't!

West Brom and Everton u23s lost so you only got 3/5 i'm afraid.... :rolleyes:

Interesting that Saints have made no attempt to promote the home game in this competition, even though it is quite soon.

Crawley Town have confirmed the date is Wednesday 9th November , kick off 7.45pm, entry is £5 adults, £3 concessions and £1 for under 11s.

The mad thing is there is another game at St Marys the FOLLOWING night, England u21s v Italy u21s where you potentially get to see 4 Saints u23s perform in that.

http://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/article/2016-17/crawley-town-southampton-3383867.aspx

a real bonus for the true Saints fans . Surely an entry fee of £5 can't be a "bank-breaker." Go without your pint for once !