SAINTS vs Burnley

nta786

Right, cba about the international break and lets get the discussion going for this one.

I wanna see a weakish team, only because I'd love to put a stronger team out for Inter Milan away even if thats what we haven't been doing with the Europa League- also wonder if Boufal will make the bench for this one! And also do we know if Cedric is injured for this one? + when is Jay Rodriguez back too?

Forster

Martina Fonte VVD Targett

Romeu

JWP Clasie

Tadic

Redmond Long

This gives Bertrand a rest if he plays any internationals- I'd also look to take off Tadic at half time for Boufal.

Prediction: 2-0, Long x2

Right, cba about the international break and lets get the discussion going for this one.

I wanna see a weakish team, only because I'd love to put a stronger team out for Inter Milan away even if thats what we haven't been doing with the Europa League- also wonder if Boufal will make the bench for this one! And also do we know if Cedric is injured for this one? + when is Jay Rodriguez back too?

Forster

Martina Fonte VVD Targett

Romeu

JWP Clasie

Tadic

Redmond Long

This gives Bertrand a rest if he plays any internationals- I'd also look to take off Tadic at half time for Boufal.

Prediction: 2-0, Long x2

Think I'd rather win this and Inter, then rest a few against Man City... as much as I can't stand them, it's going to be a tough game up there even with our strongest squad, whereas it be would be annoying if we dropped points at home to Burnley. I reckon a home win and the prospect of playing in the San Siro would be enough to keep our players buoyed mentally for both.

Call me a sceptical cynical old fool, but if Boufal was on the verge of being available to play, wouldn't the club have been slipping out the odd video or photo teaser by now?

History tells me that when the club 'go quiet' on a player it often means they are taking longer to recover from an injury than first thought... (Exhibit A: JRod and Gardos)

Yes, appreciate that its been a busy period for the club so producing 'Boufal teasers' is probably way down the media department's 'to do' list at the moment. I guess if it remains quiet during the international break that'll perhaps be cause for a dose of pessimism.

Call me a sceptical cynical old fool, but if Boufal was on the verge of being available to play, wouldn't the club have been slipping out the odd video or photo teaser by now?

History tells me that when the club 'go quiet' on a player it often means they are taking longer to recover from an injury than first thought... (Exhibit A: JRod and Gardos)

Yes, appreciate that its been a busy period for the club so producing 'Boufal teasers' is probably way down the media department's 'to do' list at the moment. I guess if it remains quiet during the international break that'll perhaps be cause for a dose of pessimism.

Unfortunately this really. If he was close he would get a look in at a u23 game first of all I would think and last night would have been the perfect opportunity for him, Jay and Florin really.

Go full strength. Need to win this one.

I can almost sense how this game will play out - We average high possession & Burnley are the opposite & like to be organised & dig in. We will have lots of the ball & they will be content to sit.

Virgil & Fonte should be able to handle Vokes, but we will need a bit of magic to unlock them as we've limped over the line against Watford & Sunderland.

I'll be interested to see if we arrange any behind closed doors games to give Boufal or Jay a run out.

My team:

----------Forster----------

Cedric Fonte Virgil Bertrand

----------Romeu----------

------Davis---Højbjerg-----

----------Tadic-----------

----Austin---Redmond----

Cant wait to see Boufal in action!!

I have a horrible feeling he will disappoint because by the time he steps on the pitch the expectation levels for him will have gone through the roof. I give it two games before he is being compared to Gaston and the worse signing since Ali Dia thread gets started.....

You were saying. Winkything

You cynical old fool!

Truth is we're getting nothing at all from the club OS about progress on recovery from injuries, players get injured a curtain comes down and that's that. Not exactly transparent as per the mission statement of Herr Kreugar. There is absolutely no need for secrecy as other teams probably don't give a toss who they are playing against, the modern view in this age of Squads and Rotation is it's XI v XI and only the performance of the 'collective' matters.

Obviously there is also a gagging order on players as otherwise they'd keep us posted on their twitter feeds. In fact I'll ask them in a minute and see if our enquiry is ignored.

Go full strength. Need to win this one.

I can almost sense how this game will play out - We average high possession & Burnley are the opposite & like to be organised & dig in. We will have lots of the ball & they will be content to sit.

Exactly this, I think it'll be very tight. Burnley are no mugs. We'll be last on MoTD ;)

So, having paved the way for Boufal's return to fitness, it's now time for me to put the mockers on it with my suggested squad for the Burnley game... :)

Forster

Cedric

Fonte

Virgil

Bertrand

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Davis

Tadic

Redmond

Austin

Subs: McCarthy, Martina, Yoshida, Clasie, JWP, Boufal, Long

Dropped/Rested/Injured: Targett, McQueen, Pied, Gardos, Stephens, Reed, Isgrove, JRod, Hesketh, Olomola

Even allowing for the general incompetence of the average "referee's assistant", I'm sure they would flag for a throw-in.

Bringing a bench onto the pitch is only a yellow card, isn't it? He'd do well to score from a seated position though.

Bringing a bench onto the pitch is only a yellow card, isn't it? He'd do well to score from a seated position though.

Ah, but we don't know just how good he is yet ;) And JRod scored against palace while he was flat on his back, so maybe boufal is adept at hitting the onion bag while sitting down. Might be his party trick.

Jordan Pickford called up by England to replace injured Tom Heaton of Burnley. Wonder if that'll keep him out of the game on as Sunday?

With any luck that would be the case, from what I can see they haven't got much back up with the veteran Paul Robinson and a lad called Nick Pope being potential replacements, neither of them have played a game for Burnley yet. Their danger man Andre Gray is suspended as well I think for being nasty about people on twitter 5 years ago, so that's a bonus. Just got to keep Saints fan Sam Vokes quiet, hopefully he's tired after playing for Wales.

Big day for our squad with Redmond, Ward-Prowse and Stephens in u21 squad set to play Bosnia at 3pm this afternoon (on BT sport for anyone not at work).I think Targett is still injured.

Hoijberg and Steven Davis both play tonight, Forster maybe for England.

Fonte, Van Dijk and Clasie should all be returning today, no more news on Cedric but Martina and Yoshida both involved in long distance travel, not been an ideal international break.

Still plenty of tickets left for Sunday, I can't see Burnley bringing more than 1000 so will be a couple of blocks of Northam left empty. Reminder for anyone who just wants to sit and watch the game tickets for the away end on general sale only £20.

Fonte, Van Dijk and Clasie should all be returning today, no more news on Cedric but Martina and Yoshida both involved in long distance travel, not been an ideal international break.

Does anyone know whether Martina is injured? He wasn't involved for Curacao against Antigua, originally not in the squad (for the Caribbean Cup), then called up, then withdrew. Don't know if he travelled or not. No mention of him playing today on the OS (Puerto Rico). Given he is usually captain of Curacao, it looks like there could be a problem.

Does anyone know whether Martina is injured? He wasn't involved for Curacao against Antigua, originally not in the squad (for the Caribbean Cup), then called up, then withdrew. Don't know if he travelled or not. No mention of him playing today on the OS (Puerto Rico). Given he is usually captain of Curacao, it looks like there could be a problem.

Fingers crossed not - who plays right back for the u23's? At worst case looks like we could be without any full backs for the weekend as doubts over Targett, Cedric and Martina, with Bertrand (and Pied) already out. Step forwards Jack Stephens, Sam McQueen and maybe Valery / Bakary?!

Fingers crossed not - who plays right back for the u23's? At worst case looks like we could be without any full backs for the weekend as doubts over Targett, Cedric and Martina, with Bertrand (and Pied) already out. Step forwards Jack Stephens, Sam McQueen and maybe Valery / Bakary?!

Jesus how the hell did we get to a situation of possibly having to call up both our under 23 fullbacks, to the first team, in the space of a week.....****ty bad luck if it comes to that.

-----------Forster

Martina Fonte VVD (Targett) Yoshida

-----------Romeu---------------

--------Davis-Hojbjerg---------

Redmond--Tadic------Austin

Boufal on for Redmond or Tadic with half hour to play. Hopefully Targett and Martina make it through! What the chances of Bertrand back for Inter away?!

Neither Redmond or JWP starting for U21s today as they rest a lot of players against Bosnia - pleased about that to be honest, don't need any further knocks in any position do we.

Who is left to play? Davis for NI. Hojbjerg too I guess.

Don't think Tadic has another game does he?

Neither Redmond or JWP starting for U21s today as they rest a lot of players against Bosnia - pleased about that to be honest, don't need any further knocks in any position do we.

Who is left to play? Davis for NI. Hojbjerg too I guess.

Don't think Tadic has another game does he?

No, I don't think so.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-10-11/international-schedule-japan-denmark-northern-ireland-england

-----------Forster

Martina Fonte VVD (Targett) Yoshida

-----------Romeu---------------

--------Davis-Hojbjerg---------

Redmond--Tadic------Austin

Boufal on for Redmond or Tadic with half hour to play. Hopefully Targett and Martina make it through! What the chances of Bertrand back for Inter away?!

You have put some thought into this.... it would be the team i would pick with what is available to us.

from that article

Ryan Bertrand started the game, before pulling up with an injury trying to reach a Wayne Rooney and he will not be involved.

I'm trying to work out if that is some sort of double entendre...

I thought Forster was injured in the last game again leicester? Also Rodderz is back, he may start...?

Forster played the entire game vs Leicester and is currently on England duty.

Rodriguez was back in training last week as was Boufal, but I doubt the club will deem either are ready to start 1st team games yet.

I just hope we prioritise Inter away to this game. I know we need to win both, but I want our best team possible out in the San Siro.

No chance. Burnley will be the priority, quite rightly. We could afford to lose in Italy, and anyway Inter are trying their best not to qualify. 3 points at home and a draw away against each team is enough to qualify for the next round. We also have City away to come after Inter, we will rest some players again for the San Siro (and probably still win).