My #saintsfc injury report following my chat with Puel:

Bertrand out Sunday but running

Cedric out 2-3wks

Targett in squad

Long has trained

Boufal training wth squad & will be eased in

J-Rod - fit

Gardos playing tonight for U23

Much more positive on Bertrand then I was expecting, hopefully he can be available for Milan.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-10-14/claude-puel-pre-burnley-sofiane-boufal-jay-rodriguez-team-news

Puel admits the Moroccan international could feature in his squad for the weekend fixture against the Clarets.

He said: “I think it is early to see Sofiane but he has made progress and has improved.

“We will see when he can participate with the squad and perhaps he could start on the bench to feel the team, the game and to take bits from it.

“It’s important that step by step we will give him some game time and we make progress with everything.”

So team for Sunday presumably:

-------------------Forster-----------------

Martina-----Fonte----VVD--------Targett

--------------------Romeu----------------

---------Hojbjerg-----------Davis---------

----Redmond-------Tadic------Austin----

Only doubt is whether he actually prefers McQueen to Targett.

Subs:

McCarthy

Yoshida

McQueen

JWP

Classie

Jay Rod

Hesketh / Olomula / Boufal

Expect to see Jay-Rod and Boufal involved against Inter (along with Yoshi etc.).

So, having paved the way for Boufal's return to fitness, it's now time for me to put the mockers on it with my suggested squad for the Burnley game... :)

Forster

Cedric

Fonte

Virgil

Bertrand

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Davis

Tadic

Redmond

Austin

Subs: McCarthy, Martina, Yoshida, Clasie, JWP, Boufal, Long

Dropped/Rested/Injured: Targett, McQueen, Pied, Gardos, Stephens, Reed, Isgrove, JRod, Hesketh, Olomola

So, given today's injury update, could we be looking at something like this instead?

Forster

Martina

Fonte

Virgil

Targett

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Davis

Tadic

Redmond

Austin

Subs: McCarthy, McQueen, Yoshida, Clasie, JWP, Boufal, JRod

Dropped/Rested/Injured: Cedric, Bertrand, Pied, Gardos, Stephens, Reed, Isgrove, Hesketh, Olomola, Long

Edit: Just seen Benji's post above. Great minds and all that... :)

And, if that's close to the line up vs Burnley, perhaps we could be looking at something like this for the Milan game?

Forster, Martina, VvD, Yoshida, Bertrand, Romeu, Classie, JWP, Boufal, JRod, Long.

Subs: McCarthy, McQueen, Fonte, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Redmond, Austin

Dropped/Rested/Injured: Cedric, Targett, Pied, Gardos, Stephens, Reed, Davis, Isgrove, Hesketh, Olomola

No chance. Burnley will be the priority, quite rightly. We could afford to lose in Italy, and anyway Inter are trying their best not to qualify. 3 points at home and a draw away against each team is enough to qualify for the next round. We also have City away to come after Inter, we will rest some players again for the San Siro (and probably still win).

I think the issue here will be managing player morale around the San Siro game. Whatever plans we did have must be being hastily reviewed with all the injuries...

This has been posted before - 'hope we can have him on the bench'...

bench this game or bench inter - i don't give a **** as long as this is the legend he's billed to be.

We hired a manager to play a formation to suit this guy - he is going to be **** hot for us*.

*for the 2/3 years he is here.

Caaaam down caam down! Not suggesting we should play him before he's 100% ready - just that probably like a lot of people I'm just itching to see him play!

Having said that actually I've got tickets to the Chelsea game so 95%? Yeah bring him on!!! ;)

Totally but even if he is fully fit it would be pretty harsh to drop someone from the team to make way for him with everyone playing so well at the moment. Bouf will get his chance but I'm not to worried when that is, if I'm honest, given how well things are going (unless being a **** hot left back is also in his locker).

From U23 game team included Hesketh, Reed and Valery, so assume that they won't be involved on Sunday.

Olomola wasn't but I guess he normally plays at a younger level? Are J Rod against old club or Boufal in contention with Long looking likely to miss out?

Anybodys guess as to the team / squad!

From U23 game team included Hesketh, Reed and Valery, so assume that they won't be involved on Sunday.

Olomola wasn't but I guess he normally plays at a younger level? Are J Rod against old club or Boufal in contention with Long looking likely to miss out?

Anybodys guess as to the team / squad!

Reckon Long will not be in the squad. Olomola could well be

From Redmonds interview in the Times today, good to see claude is trying to get us to play properly

"This summer, he moved to Southampton, continuing his development. “The manager [Claude Puel] is very good,” he says. “He’s a thinker. I’ve only seen him frustrated once, when we didn’t have a good first half [against West Ham] and we were playing too many channel balls; he didn’t want hoofed balls, what he called ‘nothing’ balls.”

From Redmonds interview in the Times today, good to see claude is trying to get us to play properly

"This summer, he moved to Southampton, continuing his development. “The manager [Claude Puel] is very good,” he says. “He’s a thinker. I’ve only seen him frustrated once, when we didn’t have a good first half [against West Ham] and we were playing too many channel balls; he didn’t want hoofed balls, what he called ‘nothing’ balls.”

Considering going from a mediocre (despite scoring) first half against West Ham to what we produced in the second it suggests he knows how to motivate the team which is certainly good.

Onto the game on Sunday not totally sure as to why this game has beeen selected by sky but I guess they've got to fill a quota.Burnley do what they always do and work hard , hopefully are extra quality in different areas will make the difference

2-0 Tadic and Van Dijk

This match will be my (and little man's) first visit to St Marys for far too long. So I do hope that those ST types on here who might be quite satisfied with some dull 1-0 victory will understand that some of us are hoping for a rather better outcome than that!

If only a football match ticket came with some kind of guarantee ...

there are stats..and stats....and figures from people who just guess a lot,

.... but during the week I read that Saints have the worst conversion rate (shots to goals).. in the Prem. My count 111 shots.. and just 7 goals.:scared:

We create a lot of chances, but just can't find the back of the net regularly enough.

Sooner or later, they'll start going in and we'll really blitz " someone ".....

there are stats..and stats....and figures from people who just guess a lot,

.... but during the week I read that Saints have the worst conversion rate (shots to goals).. in the Prem. My count 111 shots.. and just 7 goals.:scared:

We create a lot of chances, but just can't find the back of the net regularly enough.

Sooner or later, they'll start going in and we'll really blitz " someone ".....

I wonder how many of those were regulation blocks from the CB, FB or DM? I see us snatch at a lot of shots around the edge of the box, but we're definitely not creating and wasting 15 clear-cut chances per game. In fact, isn't this the kind of stat you'd expect to see when you're struggling to create lots of out-and-out chances? A high number of shots, most of which don't trouble the keeper because they're from too far out or are too easily blocked.

I wonder how many of those were regulation blocks from the CB, FB or DM? I see us snatch at a lot of shots around the edge of the box, but we're definitely not creating and wasting 15 clear-cut chances per game. In fact, isn't this the kind of stat you'd expect to see when you're struggling to create lots of out-and-out chances? A high number of shots, most of which don't trouble the keeper because they're from too far out or are too easily blocked.

read somewhere yesterday that we are bottom of the table with unblocked shots - Goals conversion too

Boufal in the squad it looks like. The clubs snapchat has a video of him walking into the ground with his bag

Was always going to be on the bench IMO.

I reckon we will go Redmond / Austin up top & have Boufal & J-Rod on the bench.

Shane probably isn't worth risking. Save him for Inter IMO.

My guess, with Inter to come on Thursday is

Forster

Martina VVD Fonte McQueen

Romeu

Davis JWP

Tadic

Austin Redmond

Or possibly Yoshida and Targett, but think they'll be saved. Reed for Romeu and Mccarthy for Tadic whenever possible. Could see Omolomu.

Hojbjerg and Clasie saved for Thurs and hope Long's fit by then.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie
Loop

I don't think this often, but we really should hammer them.

Depends on whether we can put it in the net though, doesn't it?

Suspect we will see lots of the ball and dominate for long periods, but will we have the firepower/cutting edge to turn that into goals? Based on last few games, I would expect it still to be a tight scoreline, although obviously hope we can find our scoring touch today!