Air / Ferry / Train Strikes In Italy On The 21st - For All Those Going To Milan

Gemmel

Anyone know if the strikes gone ahead as planned?

Very patchy. I set out early to walk to Stazione Centrale to catch my airport bus, or round up a taxi-load if cancelled.

Didn't even have to walk. Trams running pretty well normally. And airport bus. So got to Malpensa way too early. ?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Got the morning flight out of Linate to Gatwick so avoided any potential strike. The sign on the bus stop that morning used the word 'possibile' so it might have been patchy. The flight was full and dominated by mushes/mushettes, largely in mufti. It just needed Griffo to get us all singing...

The signs st The Malpensa Express and what the guy told me. But if it makes you feel better in your little world, good for you. .

In my little world today we got the underground to the stadium for a tour, then the underground to the canal area, then the underground to the centre of town and now I'm sat on the 1757 train to the airport.

But that's my little world. In your world all transportation was cancelled because some gimp cab driver told you yesterday. Your world definitely wins.

Thank god it's CB Fry's little world, where gratuitous patronising condescension and nastiness abounds. He even resorts to his mobile device whilst on holiday to post his unpleasantness.

There was a strike mentioned in official announcements, including on the bus stops this morning. Being Italy the impact and extent was difficult to predict or ascertain. Anybody who had a flight to catch was wise to take it into account. The fact that there wasn't the potential impact is used by CB Fry to have a snide go at another poster in the happy knowledge that _he_ didn't have to worry about it.

Does anyone have a clue as to why he is so consistently unpleasant? Even when I agree with some of his opinions it's always slanted at others. Sad really, but we'll have to suppose he's happy in his little world.

Just up from Lima metro there was about 300 blokes with banners , flags ect handing out leaflets about strikes . None of our journey from Turin was affected, but a couple of English birds we met in Milano central had their train to airport cancelled . The biggest balls ache we had was delays from Gatwick to Clapham . We got from Milan to Turin quicker than we got from Gatwick to Clapham . Well done Southern railways , a credit to your country!!!. I dread to think what European visitors think after landing and trying to get to the capital

In my little world today we got the underground to the stadium for a tour, then the underground to the canal area, then the underground to the centre of town and now I'm sat on the 1757 train to the airport.

But that's my little world. In your world all transportation was cancelled because some gimp cab driver told you yesterday. Your world definitely wins.

Never got a cab in Milan, but hey

:mcinnes:

Thank god it's CB Fry's little world, where gratuitous patronising condescension and nastiness abounds. He even resorts to his mobile device whilst on holiday to post his unpleasantness.

There was a strike mentioned in official announcements, including on the bus stops this morning. Being Italy the impact and extent was difficult to predict or ascertain. Anybody who had a flight to catch was wise to take it into account. The fact that there wasn't the potential impact is used by CB Fry to have a snide go at another poster in the happy knowledge that _he_ didn't have to worry about it.

Does anyone have a clue as to why he is so consistently unpleasant? Even when I agree with some of his opinions it's always slanted at others. Sad really, but we'll have to suppose he's happy in his little world.

On mans patronising, condescending nasty poster is another mans amusing wordsmith. It's all about different posting styles that make a forum great. Take yours for example, self righteous, self important, 99% of your posts are about yourself yet when it's pointed out to you in a light hearted reference to your constant reminders that you once lived in Italy (you did live in Italy didn't you?)your response is a foul mouthed torrent of abuse about what "c****" people are who mention it. Some might say that is the work of a conceited, self obsorbed freak with anger issues, I prefer to say different posters, different needs.

Got to the airport early just in case, but my flight to Bordeaux was on time.

Getting off the plane a lady asked me if I had been to the game. Turns out that they had too, and the lived about 10km from our house in the middle of France. Got home before my train was due to leave Bordeaux, and even got a partial refund on my ticket!

The taxi driver we used at 9am said, I directly quote :

"Everything go to **** at 9."

The strike didn't effect the flights but there was more traffic in Milan on Friday as people steered away from public transport.

Did anyone else use the 'myTaxi' app over there? Really good.

Edited by Colinjb

Was it the same Italian jobsworth, who called this strike, who also decreed that we would all have to show our passports to get into the San Siro?

Did anyone get asked to show their passport??? I had to show my ticket to at least 8 people but no-one wanted to look at my passport, even when I offered it to them...

Did anyone get asked to show their passport??? I had to show my ticket to at least 8 people but no-one wanted to look at my passport, even when I offered it to them...

A friend had to show thiers to collect a ticket but that was from a saints ticket office employee. No Italian police or stewards were remotely bothered about the passport

I got stuck in Milan Centre cos the tube went on strike but the buses still ran (albeit busier than they do rush hour in London) so my 15 min journey took 2 hours...

It seemed a bit of a scattergun strike. We were still there until the weekend. I'm not sure what happened in the morning strike, as we surfaced late and then walked a lot; but in the evening we took some public transport after the 18:00 time that the strike was supposed to recommence.

We took a number 9 tram around 18:30, intending to head back down to the Naviglio area, but headed in the wrong direction - so decided to stay on an check out some other remote districts (forgetting about the strike!) When we decided to head back, we waited with a load of other people at a tram stop, only to have a completely empty tram drive straight past without stopping! Everyone started walking off. We checked out the nearby Metro (Line 1) station and there were people exiting, but all barriers in blocked. We walked a bit and then took a No 2 Metro without problems straight to the canal. Coming back was another No 9 tram.

I can see why some thought there were no disruptions and some thought everything was a nightmare. It was neither, really; or a bit of both, depending on how lucky or unlucky you were.

It seemed a bit of a scattergun strike.

I can see why some thought there were no disruptions and some thought everything was a nightmare. It was neither, really; or a bit of both, depending on how lucky or unlucky you were.

Spot on. Me and my brother went to the lakes area, upon arrival we asked if the half 6 train would be running back to Milan and were answered with a shrug of the shoulders - "depends if that train's conductor is part of the striking union". But also told that all trains after 8pm would definitely run as strike was over by then.

(Fwiw, the half 6 one ran fine in the end)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That cant be true as CBFry said it didnt happen.

Yet again you prove your inability to read and process basic information. Feel free to point out where I said the strike didn't happen, or in fact feel free to prove how "all transportation stopped" at 9am as you previously claimed.

Seriously, give it up.

No transportation after nine. Said no one, or no signs, at all.

Seriously, well done.

Yet again you prove your inability to read and process basic information. Feel free to point out where I said the strike didn't happen, or in fact feel free to prove how "all transportation stopped" at 9am as you previously claimed.

Seriously, give it up.

. As someone said above, you were either affected or not, pure chance or luck.

You started this by having the audacity to berate someone for just airing on the side of caution whilst you swanned round Milan, cravat tied loosely clutching your copy of The Naked Civil Servant. "Strike? What strike" you laughed as you thought of poor Noodles on a train that would get him to the airport an hour or so before he had to. "Oh the fool", you laughed again, whilst blue eyed Italian men caught your gaze and you thoughts turned back to Teddy, but that's another story.

You are a complete and utter tool, I don't think you're nasty as Sue pointed out, you're funny, funny as ****.

. As someone said above, you were either affected or not, pure chance or luck.

You started this by having the audacity to berate someone for just airing on the side of caution whilst you swanned round Milan, cravat tied loosely clutching your copy of The Naked Civil Servant. "Strike? What strike" you laughed as you thought of poor Noodles on a train that would get him to the airport an hour or so before he had to. "Oh the fool", you laughed again, whilst blue eyed Italian men caught your gaze and you thoughts turned back to Teddy, but that's another story.

You are a complete and utter tool, I don't think you're nasty as Sue pointed out, you're funny, funny as ****.

It's not luck to have a cursory glance of the information available and then act accordingly. The idea that Milan was going to be at some kind of standstill was laughable and I will laugh at people who thought that could have been the case based on info/non-info available the week before, the day before and on the day.

It's always nice sport to mock you and I look forward to the next opportunity. Don't leave it too long.

It's not luck to have a cursory glance of the information available and then act accordingly. The idea that Milan was going to be at some kind of standstill was laughable and I will laugh at people who thought that could have been the case based on info/non-info available the week before, the day before and on the day.

It's always nice sport to mock you and I look forward to the next opportunity. Don't leave it too long.

Ill try not to as it clearly means so much to you.

The idea that Milan was going to be at some kind of standstill was laughable

As I mentioned before, if CGIL, the Italian equivalent of Unison (so the "automatic" transport workers union if they don't individually opt-out), had gone on strike, it can completely shut down, and has done twice in the last 5 years (striking over pay and driverless trains, so not that different from the UK). The union that called the strike is a hard left union that will be much stronger in the south of Italy, but regardless still small.

As someone else mentioned, if a train driver was a member of that union, and decided to go on strike, that particular train wouldn't run, but odds are the next train would.

In Italy a lot of the time union membership is not based on politics either. As part of your (obligatory) fee, unions fill out your tax returns, provide workplace advice & legal aid amongst other useful things as routine. I.e. belonging to a hard left union might not mean the employee is hard left and wants to go on strike, just that the accountant used by their union's local branch is better than the other union's.

Personally I would have rented a car :lol:

On Thurs Night they made announcements at Metro Stations saying that there WOULD be a strike, but that there would be a service between 3 and 6 for The Rush Hour period.

Next morning everything running normally, mid afternoon still hunky dory, so me and Saint Without a Halo decided to forego our early 1700 trip to MXP for our 2220 flights,

but to have a quick visit back to Canalside instead and soak up the glorious sunshine and have a few more beers. 1830, catch Green Line change onto Red Line to get back to our hotel and collect bags ..... OH OH all locked up.

Trying to catch a cab along with half of Milan's workforce was a bit traumatic as minutes ticked by, and when we did it seemed that we had made quicker progress by foot as traffic was gridlocked!!

Fortunately our AC Milan supporting cabbie knew a few short cuts, waited for us to get our bags and then whisked us off to Centrale and suggested catching a bus might be a better option. Sure enough one was about to leave as soon as we got there.

Made our flights with 30 mins spare!!

Even in the midst of a strike the transport system seemed to work better than Southern Rail on a good day!!