Milan Public Transport Info

Surman4no7shirt

FYI:-

If you have data in Italy (and you should, it's almost impossible to find free wifi anywhere in Italy), then it's worthwhile downloading the Metro app for Milan:

iPhone:

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/atm-milano-official-app/id415637297?mt=8

Cheap-o's:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.atm.appmobile&hl=en

You can buy tickets (€1.50 per ride / 90 mins) directly in the app via PayPal, the tickets are valid on busses, trams and metros. The ticket is a QR code on your screen that you activate when you want to use it. You then scan your phone at the turnstile (Metro) which lets you in or show it to the driver (Bus). It also has an interactive Map and a pretty good journey planner.

You can also tweet the public transport company in English for information here:

https://twitter.com/atm_informa

They generally respond in a few mins.

For those travelling to Malpensa you can visit the Trenord site, register and pre book tickets into Milan which are sent as a QR code to your phone.They have a discount on at the moment which reduces the cost to €20 from €26. Can save time pratting about at the aeroporto and save some money for beer !

For those travelling to Malpensa you can visit the Trenord site, register and pre book tickets into Milan which are sent as a QR code to your phone.They have a discount on at the moment which reduces the cost to €20 from €26. Can save time pratting about at the aeroporto and save some money for beer !

have tried to do this but what is the tax code ?

cant seem to proceed without it

all sorted

Edited by rick1976.4.38

I can't get my head around that train website, seems a right ballache, I thought the National Rail was hard to use.

It is cack.

Your Citymapper thing is the most useful format for transport I've seen - every map online other than that either doesn't have the lines (Google), or is a bigger-than-full-screen-scrollathon with too-small text in the format so loved by the Italians like this one: http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/it/mil/tram/milano-tram.htm

For trams, metro buses you can get 48 hour ticket, which starts first time you use it for 8.25 euros

http://www.milano24ore.net/travelguide/metro.php

This is what we did last time, great for getting around for all forms of transport without having to worry about it - if you do buy the ticket at a station from a machine in Milan watch out for the "helpful" people who "show you how to use the machine" and are still there with their hand out when you've told them to go away and worked it out yourself.

This is what we did last time, great for getting around for all forms of transport without having to worry about it - if you do buy the ticket at a station from a machine in Milan watch out for the "helpful" people who "show you how to use the machine" and are still there with their hand out when you've told them to go away and worked it out yourself.

They've mostly got rid of them in Milan now, they are still a pain in Rome though. If you avoid Stazione Centrale (which you should anyway...) then probably won't notice it.

They've mostly got rid of them in Milan now, they are still a pain in Rome though. If you avoid Stazione Centrale (which you should anyway...) then probably won't notice it.

Funnily enough that was exactly where we were... it was where the bus from Bergamo dropped us.

Cheers. Is it €4.50 for a 24 hour ticket - I seem to recall seeing that somewhere? I've been through Milano Centrale by train and arrived by airport bus but never wanted to linger! Are the zingari still a nuisance?

Yep, it's €4.50 24hrs. I downloaded the ATM Milano app from playstore to my phone and bought a couple of tickets to my phone, negating using the station machines, also has map and timetable info. Recommended!

Cheers. Is it €4.50 for a 24 hour ticket - I seem to recall seeing that somewhere?

The site says so: English / Italian, but it wasn't available from the machine last time I tried to get one for someone, and is not available from the app, I guess an edicola would have them.

I've been through Milano Centrale by train and arrived by airport bus but never wanted to linger! Are the zingari still a nuisance?

Not so much in Centrale the last time I was there, but as you know Italy isn't blessed with a channel between it and Europe, so there might be some around. In Stazione Centrale the problem is more that if you were a migrant or refugee arriving in Italy from the south, and want to go to a country further north by train, then Stazione Centrale is where you would linger. I've never understood why they don't change the name of Stazione Centrale, it always give people a bad impression of the city. It's a horrible area, it's not close to the city centre and all the useful trains go to Cadorna.

Edited by Surman4no7shirt

http://www.trenord.it/en/discovery-train/special-tickets/milanocard.aspx

milanocard_eng.jpg

MILANOCARD

With MilanoCard you are entitled to travel free of charge on all public transports for 24, 48 or 72 hours in the city of Milan and to get the free access to 3 museums and discounts from 10% to 85% provided at monuments, restaurants and in all services under agreement with the MilanoCard as well. Moreover you have a free medical assistance h24 during your trip. MilanoCard gives special and exclusive facilities to visit the Duomo of Milan, the symbol of the city. Do you ever have a personal driver for free? This will be possible in Milan thanks to MilanoCard and Uber. With MilanoCard: 2 rides (up to 15€ each) for free.

Discover Milan with Malpensa Express and Milanocard, the first tourist card of the city of Milan.

OUR SPECIAL OFFER!

Malpensa Express Ticket + MilanoCard 24h: €18,30

Malpensa Express Ticket + MilanoCard 48h: €22,90

Malpensa Express Ticket + MilanoCard 72h: €31

[so correct me if im wrong but does this cover retun from malpensa to Milan plus unlimited travel on on metro/tram /bus

QUOTE=dubai_phil;2409860]http://www.trenord.it/en/discovery-train/special-tickets/milanocard.aspx

milanocard_eng.jpg

MILANOCARD

With MilanoCard you are entitled to travel free of charge on all public transports for 24, 48 or 72 hours in the city of Milan and to get the free access to 3 museums and discounts from 10% to 85% provided at monuments, restaurants and in all services under agreement with the MilanoCard as well. Moreover you have a free medical assistance h24 during your trip. MilanoCard gives special and exclusive facilities to visit the Duomo of Milan, the symbol of the city. Do you ever have a personal driver for free? This will be possible in Milan thanks to MilanoCard and Uber. With MilanoCard: 2 rides (up to 15€ each) for free.

Discover Milan with Malpensa Express and Milanocard, the first tourist card of the city of Milan.

OUR SPECIAL OFFER!

Malpensa Express Ticket + MilanoCard 24h: €18,30

Malpensa Express Ticket + MilanoCard 48h: €22,90

Malpensa Express Ticket + MilanoCard 72h: €31

The site says so: English / Italian, but it wasn't available from the machine last time I tried to get one for someone, and is not available from the app, I guess an edicola would have them.

Cheers. I've downloaded the ATM app but probably won't have data switched on, so a physical ticket would be my preference. I know the direction I need so will leave the station, just start walking quickly and check my map later.. Been offered a lunch at the Brasserie Bjork by the owner?/manager? who is a new Skype student of mine as of last Thursday!