Saints 3 Burnley 1 - Post Match Reaction

St Chalet

MOTM  

374 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM

average 1st half

excellent 2nd half

Loads of chances created, home win, 8th in the league and off to play Inter Milan

only concern is the injuries to our fullbacks

hard to pick a MoM today as it could be anyone.

Everyone (bar Forsert - who had little to do) could take that accolade

Tadic for me, think he was sublime

Austin, Clasie, Romeu, Redmond and Davis in any order behind

Tom Heaton had to pull off 3 or 4 outstanding saves to keep it down to 3-1, we were so dominant it was ridiculous.

Romeu & VVD were absolute quality, McQueen looked like he'd been playing PL football for years.

Austin was terrible in the first half but got a lot better in the 2nd half. Redmond was very good, took his goal extremely well.

Agree. Redmond MoM. Fantastic. And so exciting to see McQueen shine. I love, love, love that we're using the academy again this year. Puel continues to truly impress me. The first half may have been relatively bland (although we deserved to be up a couple goals) but what I think we achieved first half was superior energy management. We kept the ball, began tiring them out. Second half we reaped the benefit, turning up the heat with an amazing amount of retained energy. Commentators here in US were marveling at how much pace Saints retained right through into extra time. 34 shots to 6 says it all.....

I am so happy with this win. It was a match that we should have won against weak opposition and those kind of games always make me a little nervous. Very happy with Redmond. Tadic was influential, and McQueen can look back on this game positively. He may be a starter for Milan with injuries to Bertrand and Targett. Romeu was my MOM. He monstered the midfield.

Looked at Burnley's team sheet before the game and thought we should hammer them, and we pretty much did.

Romeu imperious in the middle, though also thought Clasie was better than usual, moving the ball with more pace and accuracy than he has so far this season. Tadic and Redmond both took advantage of the space they were given to create problems - Redmond's finish was struck very sweetly. McQueen also did well - not tested much at the back, but a couple of lovely crosses. Nobody else really had enough to do for them stand out, though I'm sure despite failing to hit the target for the billionth time, a certain hard-working midfielder will be hailed by some as having had a storming game :)

Perfect game for McQueen to make his PL debut and gain confidence.

It really was, and you could see McQueen's confidence rising as the game went on. Midfield were commanding - Romeu, Davis and the best game Clasie has played by miles. Tadic very influential, and Redmond always a handful. Defence rarely troubled. Commentator noted that all our points have been gained from lower table opposition - bigger tests ahead but the quality of Football played is very encouraging.

Victor who? We do not miss him in the slightest with Romeu's rise to prominence. Some of his skills were a joy to watch and I just hope we get him tied down to an extended contract soon or the vultures will start circling again.

Hats off to Puel - the style of play is beautiful and so much better than the last couple of years. If only our finishing were better........

Much harder tests to come but we seem to be a real team with much fluidity - who knows wahtwe could achieve this year?

Good win. Maybe could've scored more but can't really complain today.

Good performances from the whole team, MOTM between Romeu and Redmond today, though Tadic, Austin, McQueen and Clasie all have claims. Redmond shades it.

I only caught the second half. How bad was Targett's injury?

Pretty routine win against a poor opposition on the face of it. Lovely finish from Redmond - he has been playing very well but with no end product lately. Hopefully this will give him a nice confidence boost.

Happy with the points, but overall happier with the style of football that we are playing this season under Puel. It's much prettier than we ever really saw with Koeman.

Not sure who the co-commentator was on the stream I was watching but he kept blabbering on about how harsh the penalty we got was on Burnley. WTF!? - Every angle on the replay showed a blatant trip on McQueen who tried to keep going. Looked a dead cert to me.

By the way, some questioning the McQueen penalty. But it looked to me like he had his rear foot stamped on. May have been accidental, but it took him out, and therefore a clear penalty, surely.

Could you apply the same argument to Van Dijk's foul in the first half?

I don't think we should be too worried about "only scoring three", especially as Heaton made a few brilliant saves. If anything I actually felt our final ball/decision was disappointing - Tadic, while always a livewire, wasn't crossing very well - which means we could have had even more shots on goal!

Could you apply the same argument to Van Dijk's foul in the first half?

I don't think we should be too worried about "only scoring three", especially as Heaton made a few brilliant saves. If anything I actually felt our final ball/decision was disappointing - Tadic, while always a livewire, wasn't crossing very well - which means we could have had even more shots on goal!

I've seen Burnley's pen shout against Virgil a few times now. It was a stonewall penalty for me. There were a few bodies flying in at the time, which may have unsighted the ref.

Burnley should have had a pen in the 34th will admit, but the one they did get did no one else see the way one of the Burnley players was holding VVD's shirt, and Tadic barely pushed him to me- just want to see some consistency.

Anyways we didn't have that luck vs Arsenal, and we got the three pts!

Shame about the clean sheet too but meh- and finally 2 days off work this week for the big one in MILAN!!!

OK, easy opposition and all that, but as MLT remarked, it's not straightforward to play sides that come with double defensive walls. Almost all of our players increased their reputation, nobody had a poor game. Clasie's best game for us since signing, Romeu seems too go on improving, Davis worked his socks off, Martina kept trying, and as for the front three...what a wonderful advert for our recruitment process and for Puel's set up and training. And McQ must be delighted with an excellent debut. We can keep this level up on Thursday, by bringing fresh Shane and Pierre-Emile to supplement maybe J-Rod and a Charlie on song. Sam may face a big test, looked a bit knackered at the close, but sure he'll be up for it.

firstly congratulations to our board on again getting another top manager,

personaly think we are playing better and more compossed under puel than khoeman

35 shots at goal,we should have scored plenty more,

pity about the clean sheet going,god knows what dean gave the penalty for but they should have had one for the van dyke tackle.

have to say that was the best game clasie has had in a saints shirt,him and romeu controlled that midfield

our next two games in the premier league will be a huge test for us

nearly forgot,big shout out to sam McQueen,did an impressive job

Great result.

Sam McQueen shows promise. Redmond best game. Charlie is such a character!

Great welcome for Franny.

Who were the ex players there?

Kevin Bond, Andrew Surman, Tommy Widdrington, Flash Gordon, Kelvin Davis, Big Lawrie....what a fantastic reception he got as he walked back to the players tunnel.

Good professional result in the end.

Too many missed opportunities in first half and slightly fortunate with Burnley penalty appeal against van dijk.

Once we got the scrappy first goal we kicked on and put game to bed. could have got 5 or 6 in the end.

Mcqueen looked good but better teams will test his defensive abilities and he needs to learn how to go down. 9/10 out of ten he'd get a booking for that superman dive. Their penalty was equally soft.

Only downside was targett injury, i did worry about rushing him back for this game considering he wasn't fit enough for england. Hope we rest bertrand midweek and don't repeat the injury setback.

The real test for this team is getting points from the games against the big teams.

A bit of a bore in the first half, with Burnley parking the bus and time-wasting, but once we had scored early in the second half, they had to come at us. Difficult to choose any player who had a poor game, apart from Rodriguez when he came on late in the game, the points all but guaranteed. But that is excusable and inevitable that he would be short of match sharpness. A special mention to Sam McQueen who deputised well for Targett when he had to come off injured and Targett himself had acquitted himself well up until then. Martina has grown well into the right back spot, so the defence looked mostly as solid as it has been since for the past several matches. What a shame that we lost our clean sheet run to yet another penalty, one which was apparently a bit soft according to some pundits immediately afterwards. Is this a record number of penalties awarded against us in this short number of matches?

I gave MOTM to Romeu for another superb display, but Redmond, Tadic, Clasie, Van Dijk, Davis and Austin weren't far behind, Clasie probably putting in the best performance that I can remember from him.

Where did all the doom and gloom merchants from a few weeks ago disappear to?

I think there were some excellent moments. To be a bit critical I would like to have seen a goal or two from open play. Tadic was sublime at being provider but we lacked movement and touch from his deliveries. Really hope Boufal is not a replacement for him. It would be exciting to see them both play together alongside a marquee signing upfront.

Puel reaction....

It was an important game as it was after the break and they are always difficult

we had difficulties in the 1st half, we didnt score or create many chances

we came out in the 2nd half with good intentions

you could see we had quality on the ball

you could see we were good in the 2nd half and it was a pleasure to see

it would have been better to have scored more

but it is important to have the result we have

we must recover well and prepare for Milan

We have lost some good player to injury

it is important to use the squad and get new players in

now we have Martina and McQueen and that is it. It is a problem

it was a good 2nd half from McQueen, he is a good technical player, good left foot

it is interesting to see how he does

we changed his position in the U23s

he has made progress in this position at LB

I dont know who will travel to Milan, will decide tomorrow and tuesday

we have a few injuries and decide from there

for the moment am happy with this win

Edited by Batman

A superb all round performance, invidious to single anybody out for special praise everyone fired on all cylinders. Play like this every time and nobody will beat us, can we do a Leicester ;-)

Ok we can quibble about the shots to goals conversion ratio of 10% as being in need of improvement but as the man said, as long as we score one more than the opposition who's complaining.

I've always liked McQueen in the junior teams now he has his chance in the PL and he took it well today, growing in confidence as he had more of the ball from his team mates. He looked odds on to score when brought down. Bummer that Targett wasn't ready and paid the price, just glad that Shane Long was not risked as well.

Van Dijks passing is outrageous (in the good way). At times I felt bad for Burnley, their keeper was fantastic again. Being picky I do sometimes wonder about Fraser he seems very reluctant to come off his line even when an easy cross gets sent in. I think he has a big advantage in having two of the worlds best CB's in front of him. Everyone looked great today.

Would not have flattered us if we scored six today and we would have if not for Heaton who would be a nuturals MOM. It's a toss up between Davis and Romeu for our MOM for me as whispering Dave said on Solent McQueen was good going forward but didn't have any defending to do.

Solid, strong performance. We did what we should have. Redmond, Tadic, Romeu, VvD, Austin were all very good. Never in doubt really, and could have been more. Loved Edmonds goal. We are getting very used to Austin scoring in every game, been a while for that feeling. Teams have to game plan for him. Midfield was excellent, the game was always in control. This team may turn out to better than last year's.

One of the best games I've seen from clasie in a saints shirt and Romeu and Davis class as always. Midfield three looking very solid now

Especially when you consider Hoj didn't even get on the pitch. Also I'm not sure what Puel has done but JWP is looking much improved in recent weeks (admittedly mostly as a late game sub). Reed also looked decent in the one game he has played this season. All in all the midfield is looking pretty good at the moment.