Saints 3 Burnley 1 - Post Match Reaction

St Chalet

MOTM  

374 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM

Good spirit in the squad - Austin and Redmond clearly get on great, and I can imagine Charlie is generally popular and lifts the dressing room mood.

They are a very good tandem. Redmond is attacking from the outside, and Austin is a terror in the box. Teams need to game plan for both, it's very hard.

A bit of a bore in the first half, with Burnley parking the bus and time-wasting, but once we had scored early in the second half, they had to come at us. Difficult to choose any player who had a poor game, apart from Rodriguez when he came on late in the game, the points all but guaranteed. But that is excusable and inevitable that he would be short of match sharpness. A special mention to Sam McQueen who deputised well for Targett when he had to come off injured and Targett himself had acquitted himself well up until then. Martina has grown well into the right back spot, so the defence looked mostly as solid as it has been since for the past several matches. What a shame that we lost our clean sheet run to yet another penalty, one which was apparently a bit soft according to some pundits immediately afterwards. Is this a record number of penalties awarded against us in this short number of matches?

I gave MOTM to Romeu for another superb display, but Redmond, Tadic, Clasie, Van Dijk, Davis and Austin weren't far behind, Clasie probably putting in the best performance that I can remember from him.

Where did all the doom and gloom merchants from a few weeks ago disappear to?

Really? I thought Jrod looked very good when he came on, sharp, got to see plenty of the ball, made some good attacking moves and worked back to help out the defence a very good performance for a player coming back from injury.

What superb performance. Puel's coaching is top class...

Burnley are truly dreadful or are we we truly pretty damn good? Good luck to Puel, that is proper football and a joy to watch....

The standard of reffing in the Premier league is mightily bad...

J Rod did well when he came on too and McQueen must be very chuffed with z very impressive performance..

just saw this on the BBC...pretty impressive (probably should have punished them more to be honest)

Southampton had 34 shots (including blocks) against Burnley; their highest total in a Premier League game since 2003-04.

Apparently it isn't our highest number of shots in a PL game since 2003/4. It is the highest number in any PL game

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2016/10/16/28532062/-?

That just felt like such a comfortable, never in doubt win. That's where we are at now after forcing our way back to the top division and re-establishing ourselves. Really starting to like the look of Redmond, if he can add a composed finish to his close control and trickinness Liverpool have their Sturridge replacement in waiting. As others have said, McQueen did really well. C'MON!!!

What superb performance. Puel's coaching is top class...

Burnley are truly dreadful or are we we truly pretty damn good? Good luck to Puel, that is proper football and a joy to watch....

The standard of reffing in the Premier league is mightily bad...

J Rod did well when he came on too and McQueen must be very chuffed with z very impressive performance..

It says a lot that Arsenal had a hell of a time breaking down their defence last time out, yet we were ripping through it easily, time and time again. If it wasn't for Heaton we'd have scored a hatful.

Now I'm not saying we're better than Arsenal. I wonder tho' if defenders aren't struggling to get their heads around Puels fluid attacking set up, which is why we're creating so many opportunities. Now our finishing seems to be improving a bit, we could be in for a very entertaining season.

Good game, especially the second half. Impressed with Redmond who bar a 15 minute spell in the middle of the first half was always a penetrating threat. Best game for Clasie for me too. Hugely impressed with Romeu again, in fact good games throughout. Burnley have no chance of staying up if that is representative of their performances. Dreadful.

We started the game really, really well, and if it wasn't for a worldy from Heaton, we'd have been 1-0 up. It was always going to get more difficult if we didn't get the early goal, we slipped back a bit and Burnley gained a bit of confidence and kept their shape well. The forced sub of Targett didn't help and it unsettled us for a bit. We still created openings, but Burnley were holding their own well enough in that first half.

We started the 2nd half as we started the first, but we got the break we needed. Typical Austin goal, and from that moment on the inevitable flood gates opened up. Redmond was causing them problems all match, looks so exciting when he's in full flow and his goal was well deserved. 3-0 put the icing on top, but we really should have got 4/5 maybe 6...just to add that cherry! Overall, once we got that first it was just a standard premier league win. Our midfield is running games at this level now, Romeu in particular is playing at a level I didn't think he was capable of. Burnley put in a good effort, they're a spirited side, but have quite an alarming lack of quality. There's only so far work-rate and spirit gets you in this league.

Only slight chink is that we didn't get that clean sheet, but we're on a great run at the moment and go to Milan in a better place then them (who would have been saying that 5 years ago).

we were totally dominant until Targett's injury, and only Heaton saved Burnley from being 0-3 down by HT.

Our defence gave Sam Mc Q...a few, quiet minutes to settle in, before he came into the game, but by the second half... he looked like he'd been playing there all season.

Good displays all round and especially Austin and Redmond who are looking like a formidable attacking pair, bit also very nice to see JayRod back again.

Bit of a quiet game for Tadic.... but Romeu, Davis and Clasie looked class throughout. Martina DAJFU every game - even if he doesn't look like a first choice.

Burnley defended well ......considering we had 34 shots (many of which were blocked). Talk about "fluid football ".... it looked like a waterfall at times.

This style of play surely augers well for the season, and Puel's mix'n'match doesn't seem to do any harm. We have 24 first choice players .....

Edited by david in sweden

VVD again got his head to everything , so much so I worry about him getting brain damage , Fonte now in sweeping up role ! Redmond was outstanding today , Austin struggled when running the length of the pitch to try and score a breakaway goal !!! but a great penalty . Turned into a great match after a the first half ....

A gentleman next to me said he didn't rate Redmond. I said let's count the number of times he touches the ball in the second half. After 3 minutes he had touched the ball 12 times. Redmond is an exceptional player and is by no means the finished article. We have a gem on our hands.

Well done to Sam McQueen. When your chance comes you have to take it. Sam was fantastic today and looked like he'd been playing at left back all season.

So I met my new hero after the game. A quiet man of few words. Very polite and very unassuming. Where he speaks volumes is on the playing field. Claude Puel that second half was impressive.

Les Reed continues to pull rabbit a out of hats.

Up to 8th

Just wanted to say again - bloody impressive football !

Shows what coaching can and should achieve......

Sublime football ....

The astonishing thing is that in this system every player looks good..

Even Clasie who I admit to not being a fan of looked great today.

Lots of plaudits rightly for McQueen but Jrod did very well when he came on too which was good to see...

Burnley have no chance of staying up if that is representative of their performances. Dreadful.

I think people have become complacent about just how consistently good we have become over the past 5 years. Burnley are a pretty typical bottom quarter of the Premier League side, a bunch of last-ditch desperados and a route one hopeful.

Last 7 games - 5 wins, 2 draws, scored 12 conceded 1. That's some run of form.

This team looks full of winners and is playing with some real fluidity and purpose. Fair do's to Puel - I wasn't sure about his style and how it would affect the team but it seems to have been adopted quickly.

Next 5 games are really going to test our metal, Citeh(a), Chelsea(h), Inter (h +a) and S'lund but the way we are playing we should fear no one.

We've also got Boufal to come in, happy days.

Only worry is what we do when Van Dijk or Romeu aren't available. They're two outstanding players we don't have ready made replacements for.

They are great players. But with Romeu we have Hojbjerg who can come in. Maybe shift the format a bit.

Virgil is less replaceable but he had his rocky moments today. Yoshida has stepped up to the plate before. Gardos is also an unknown quantity once back and looked solid before injury.

We could cope I reckon :)

They are great players. But with Romeu we have Hojbjerg who can come in. Maybe shift the format a bit.

Virgil is less replaceable but he had his rocky moments today. Yoshida has stepped up to the plate before. Gardos is also an unknown quantity once back and looked solid before injury.

We could cope I reckon :)

Possibly agree re Hojbjerg as a replacement for Romeu, but Yoshida or Gardos for Van Dijk just further reinforces my point!

So far things are going really well but the real test comes over the next five weeks as Saints face Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Inter – twice. It is these fixtures that will reveal exactly what can be achieved but certainly more with Puel than Koeman I feel

just saw this on the BBC...pretty impressive (probably should have punished them more to be honest)

Southampton had 34 shots (including blocks) against Burnley; their highest total in a Premier League game since 2003-04.

Not sure that is correct, under Strachan we probably didn't have 34 shots at goal at home all season!

So far things are going really well but the real test comes over the next five weeks as Saints face Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Inter – twice. It is these fixtures that will reveal exactly what can be achieved but certainly more with Puel than Koeman I feel

You mean the Koeman who gave us wins against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and Spurs last season? If you feel Puel will 'certainly' do better than that, it's going to be an amazing year. I'm hoping with you.

A good solid win. The injury to Targett seemed to disrupt our rhythm in the first half but we really went at them again in the second half with some lovely football.

Forster - 6 - had little to do.

Martina - 6 - Solid display, supported our attacks well.

Fonte - 6 - As solid as ever but him and van dijk were a little lucky to get away with their mix up which should have lead to a burnley penalty

Van Dijk - 7 - Another comfortable and commanding display.

Targett - 6 - Was doing well before his injury

Romeu - 9 - Another superlative display. He doesn’t just do the simple things, he shows great skill and awareness in tight areas to often take opponents out of the game, before producing effective forward passes to set us on the attack.

Clasie - 7 - One of the best games he has had for saints. Some effective first time passes to set us on the counter.

Davis - 7 - Good display with forward bursts, accurate passing and quick feet.

Redmond - 8 - Has bags of energy, he was popping up all over the place causing problems for Burnley. Has great technique and showed it for his goal.

Tadic - 8 - Playing more on the right hand side now and looks far more comfortable there than central. Terrorised the opposition full back at times.

Austin - 7 - Mixed game all round but stuck the ball in the net twice so can't argue with that! Has the positional instinct that can't be taught.

McQueen - 8 - He was excellent going forward and provided some great crosses. Couldn’t really judge him defensively today.

Rodriguez - 6 - A lively display, shame he couldn't add the 4th goal.

A good solid win. The injury to Targett seemed to disrupt our rhythm in the first half but we really went at them again in the second half with some lovely football.

Forster - 6 - had little to do.

Martina - 6 - Solid display, supported our attacks well.

Fonte - 6 - As solid as ever but him and van dijk were a little lucky to get away with their mix up which should have lead to a burnley penalty

Van Dijk - 7 - Another comfortable and commanding display.

Targett - 6 - Was doing well before his injury

Romeu - 9 - Another superlative display. He doesn’t just do the simple things, he shows great skill and awareness in tight areas to often take opponents out of the game, before producing effective forward passes to set us on the attack.

Clasie - 7 - One of the best games he has had for saints. Some effective first time passes to set us on the counter.

Davis - 7 - Good display with forward bursts, accurate passing and quick feet.

Redmond - 8 - Has bags of energy, he was popping up all over the place causing problems for Burnley. Has great technique and showed it for his goal.

Tadic - 8 - Playing more on the right hand side now and looks far more comfortable there than central. Terrorised the opposition full back at times.

Austin - 7 - Mixed game all round but stuck the ball in the net twice so can't argue with that! Has the positional instinct that can't be taught.

McQueen - 8 - He was excellent going forward and provided some great crosses. Couldn’t really judge him defensively today.

Rodriguez - 6 - A lively display, shame he couldn't add the 4th goal.

Wow, you're feeling generous aren't you!? We were excellent and some of your scores are depressingly low. I'd bump Martina, fonte, classie, Davis, Redmond and tadic all up a point. We were that good.

So can all the bedwetters please take note!!

Next time we change a manager, can you all please realise that if takes time to get ideas across & for a team to play as he wants.

You make yourselves look rather silly every time with your knee-jerk reactions!!

While I agree the bedwtters need to calm down, I also think the happy clappers need to as well. We are away to inter, man city and the reigning champions with home games against Chelsea and inter in our next few games. We're on a great run of form and playing some lovely stuff, but I think we'll be in a better position to judge just where we're at in a few more weeks time. We were excellent yesterday but burnley were poor. Perform like that in some of our next games and I'll be genuinely excited.

Wow, you're feeling generous aren't you!? We were excellent and some of your scores are depressingly low. I'd bump Martina, fonte, classie, Davis, Redmond and tadic all up a point. We were that good.

I guess it depends what your average score is? I would say 5. Also, as you alluded to above, despite our excellence, Burnley were poor. I would be more generous if the performance was repeated against a better side! :)

I'm a big fan of Tadic and agree his general play was good, but his crossing wasn't up to its normal standard, particularly in first half. I think 8 is fair - he was good but I've seen him play better.

Possibly agree re Hojbjerg as a replacement for Romeu, but Yoshida or Gardos for Van Dijk just further reinforces my point!

Tbf most clubs have that problem few have the depth to replace a top quality player with another top quality player.

Having said that the club must surely be looking at the CB situation Fonte has been excellent for us but can't have to many good seasons left in him. VVD is going to be off to one of the big boys next summer ( or if we are really lucky the summer after) so we really need to be bringing in their replacements sooner rather than later imo.

As an aside, was really pleased to see a foul throw given.

Always used to drive me nuts watching these elite players get something so utterly basic wrong and never have any come-back from it.

And yes, I am entirely aware it was given in Burnley's favour!

So can all the bedwetters please take note!!

Next time we change a manager, can you all please realise that if takes time to get ideas across & for a team to play as he wants.

You make yourselves look rather silly every time with your knee-jerk reactions!!

A good observation Warsash, but you note that those bed-wetters are always calling for someone's head after every poor result !

I guess it depends what your average score is? I would say 5.

Also, as you alluded to above, despite our excellence, Burnley were poor. I would be more generous if the performance was repeated against a better side! :)

don't know about the rest of you..... but "my" average / satisfactory score is : 7........

less than that is a bit below par......I think 5 means a relatively poor game, regardless of the opposition.

If I were to mark anyone down, I would do it only because we didn't do better with " the other 31 shots "....but if Burnley had conceded more than 4 goals would have been unfair to Tom Heaton who kept the score down with some great saves, when some other keepers might have gone into double figures.

Very good win, shame we couldn't have put a few more away.

Penalty to Burnley could have changed the game, though the pundits are saying Van Dijk got none of the ball but I clearly saw his thigh make contact with ball first. But Burnley turned up to not win and were time wasting in the first half so I kind of feel they got what they deserved.

Bigger tests will come, be interesting to see what we do against Man City. Everton snuck a point, West Ham and Bournemouth got smashed there. Wonder whether we will try to play or set out to defend.