Romeu is now an improvement on Wanyama

Saint Without a Halo

When you add in his vision distribution and ability to read a game so much better to his undoubted ball winning abilities

Romeu is now key at the base of our new diamond formation

Not sure Wanyama with his great ball winning abilities could hold this role given his greater weaknesses in vision and distribution

Another diamond that took a little while to shine? Or did Koeman just not realise what he had?

Remember Wanyama was awful the first season, Romeu just needed time he will be a good replacement he is a better player technically then Vic but he does not boss the midfield with heading and tackling like Wanyama did.

He was an absolute monster in the tackle today. Twice today he nicked the ball of the foot of a Burnely player with his head (bloody brave) and constantly won every tackle.

He's a better passer of the ball and is very very technical. I don't think he's quite as big a unit though, Wanyama used to just shrug players off like they weren't there.....and then give the ball away.

Agree with this. Vic was a pure destroyer & was perfect to play with a midfield partner (Clasie or Morgan) who could pass the ball. I think Romeu is better in Puel's system than Vic would have been purely because it involves a lot more passing. (Oriol has surprised me as I thought he'd struggle as a 'solo' DM, but he's been very impressive).

Absolutely loved Big Vic though, but massive credit to Romeu for his performances so far.

Romeu is clearly better than Vic because he still plays for us . Everyone who leaves is shiete and their replacement is far better.

Thanks for that very thoughtful contribution to the debate

I and many others agree Vic was immense as a defensive unit and strong as an Ox the point is he played as one of two with the other being more technical mobile and a better ball distributor

Puels system is based on one key DM at the diamonds base that can cover all of ball winning ball distribution and good anticipation of where to be all together

Much as I admired ViC who was undoubtedly a better physical barrier I think Romeu is better and more suite to the Puel system

BTW just for your information I do not think Redmond is better than Mane on performances to date so not all current Saints are better than their replacements

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

There's no doubts that Romeu suits this system a lot more than Wanyama would. Lets not kid ourselves, Wanyama was a beast. A pure destroyer that could dominate the midfield but he was very reliant on a partner doing some of the running for him. Systems make and break players. Look at Drinkwater for example. I don't care what anyone says, he's a decent player but nothing more but he benefited massively from having Kante next to him. Now he looks average without him.

Big Vic moved at the right time imo. This system doesn't suit a destroyer like him but it's tailor made for a player like Romeu.

Hats off to Romeu as well. He's really stepped it up this season. I always knew there was an outstanding player in there from the days before his knee problems so i'm glad he's flourishing in the new system.

Vic was immense, but had limited ability on the ball. Romeu is clearly a better player in technical terms but there will be games where we miss vics presence I think. Kante is proof that you don't have to be a monster to be a great holding midfielder, and I think Romeu suits the diamond better; I'm also extremely impressed by his discipline. Last season he seemed to pick up a booking every match but seems far more in control this year. Really pleased with how he's performing, but I do think writing vic off as a lesser player is a touch unfair so far. Time will tell

Wanyama on his day could absolutely boss things but this was usually only against the 'big sides' when he was trying to sell himself. He was an excellent physical presence to have in the team sometimes but was also pretty pointless in games like yesterdays when we are dominating and trying to break down teams with their backs to the wall. Romeu is a far better all round midfielder and far more consistent. He was harshly treated last season when he was always immediately dropped as soon as Wanyama was back from his latest ban/sulk. It didn't set the right example.

I always thought Romeu had potential to be an upgrade on Wanyama if the team and style around him evolved. As much as Romeu is strong in the challenge, I still don't think he will (and maybe never will) be up to Wanyama's standard in terms of a destroyer and we will notice this more in games against the top sides. However, I think his contribution across the whole season may well end up being greater than Wanyama's (especially if he doesn't pick up 3 red card's worth of suspensions...) Definitely one of my favourite players, has quick feet and good composure on the ball to compliment his tough tackling.

Remember Wanyama was awful the first season

Eh? That's really not how I remember it. His passing was poor for the first stretch but he had an instant impact on our defence which didn't leave us for his whole stay here.

If Romeu plays as well as he is at the moment for three years, then he might be better than Wanyama. Long way to go.

Edited by DuncanRG

Eh? That's really not how I remember it. His passing was poor for the first stretch but he had an instant impact on our defence which didn't leave us for his whole stay here.

If Romeu plays as well as he is at the moment for three years, then he might be better than Wanyama. Long way to go.

Victor came in and started well got injured and then struggled to win his place back from Jack Cork. His first season certainly wasn't a vintage one.

Wanyama was a liability who couldn't pass a ball 10 yards. Romeu is a proper footballer. Wanyama was not.

Somewhat revisionist. Sure, when he first arrived, he under hit passes, but when he bothered to get motivated last season, his passing was fine, even if it was not incisive.

Its always hard to compare two players. VW is of course a physical presence that isn't that common in the PL, while OR is the more intelligent player. Both are good and I would happily have both in my team. However as VW has left, that;s all rather theoretical now.

He's certainly an improvement on the ball, he is looking more and more like a playmaker in recent games and seems to have grown in confidence. Seems to be spreading the ball around at the back well and even bursting forward past players at times.

But it's early days, he needs to keep this up for a whole season.

Plus Wanyama is probably unmatched in the league for his physical presence, I don't think Romeu can bully opponents like Wanyama can. Let's not forget Wanyama has probably improved a Spurs team that last year was challenging for the title.

If anything I'd say Romeu's recent performances are more reminiscent of Morgan, winning the ball on the front foot, good passing range and bursting forward.

Somewhat revisionist. Sure, when he first arrived, he under hit passes, but when he bothered to get motivated last season, his passing was fine, even if it was not incisive.

Its always hard to compare two players. VW is of course a physical presence that isn't that common in the PL, while OR is the more intelligent player. Both are good and I would happily have both in my team. However as VW has left, that;s all rather theoretical now.

Think I'd dispute that Romeu is more intelligent. Wanyama was always in the right place and Romeu has a habit of going into challenges when he should stand firm.

Romeu is more of a replacement for Morgan which is what we missed last season. Our system does not require a Big Vic type destroyer which helps us turn defence into attack in an instant, as was displayed yesterday. I do get the feeling that Romeu also loves being here. I honestly could see him seeing out his career with us. Vic was always going to leave, and will leave spurs the second he gets an offer from a bigger team. For me, Romeu all day long, and thats not just because Vic has gone!

One of the thing's I've noticed about Romeu when I've watched him is how well he senses danger.

The one barometer people seem to of overlooked is Romeu's acceptentence by the faithful in the stands. Several times on Sunday his name rang out loud and clear.

As good an indicator as any that he is being fully backed and appreciated.

After years and years wishing we'd get another Jimmy Case, we've been absolutely blessed with Morgan, Big Vic and now Romeu.

Just wish JWP or Reed would make the step up and then we'd have a homegrown talent in the middle of the park.

It's funny how many have forgotten the many posts in previous seasons that complained about Wanyama (and Mane) "disappearing" in some games and their general lack of consistency. I think we are starting to see more consistency from Romeu (and Redmond) now and believe that Romeu, in particular, is every bit as good as Wanyama even on his best day.

Romeu has an excellent reading of the game. Also - he's done the big club stuff first and hasn't got a massive ego.

You said something about the club going to sort out a new contract, do you know if Romeu is happy to sign if a decent contract is offered to him? I think his attitude is great and hopefully see him tied down to 5 more years.

Let's hope they get on and offer that contract extension, before it's too late.........

After his performances so far I've no doubt that we will want him to sign a new contract, but the Big Vic / Clyne situations in recent seasons do cross my mind.

Fingers crossed he signs a new deal.

He's been in superb form the last handful of games. Puel seems to have given him a bit more freedom to play what I presume is his natural game, bringing the ball forward whenever he spots a gap, and playing a lot of through-balls in to the forwards.

I don't think either Poch or Koeman wanted the defensive lynchpin taking those kinds of risks, and maybe he'll get caught out a few times this season turning over possession, but there's a definite increase in the speed with which we move the ball through midfield compared to previous years, and I'd say it was almost entirely down to Romeu at the moment.

He's been in superb form the last handful of games. Puel seems to have given him a bit more freedom to play what I presume is his natural game, bringing the ball forward whenever he spots a gap, and playing a lot of through-balls in to the forwards.

I don't think either Poch or Koeman wanted the defensive lynchpin taking those kinds of risks, and maybe he'll get caught out a few times this season turning over possession, but there's a definite increase in the speed with which we move the ball through midfield compared to previous years, and I'd say it was almost entirely down to Romeu at the moment.

Agree with what you say - Romeu is both tough in his defensive duties and cultured with his runs and incisive passing. Unsurprisingly though, you've omitted Davo's role in quick movement of the ball through midfield; and using the Burnley game as an example, Clasie too showed that side of his game.