Romeu is now an improvement on Wanyama

Saint Without a Halo

When you add in his vision distribution and ability to read a game so much better to his undoubted ball winning abilities

Romeu is now key at the base of our new diamond formation

Not sure Wanyama with his great ball winning abilities could hold this role given his greater weaknesses in vision and distribution

Another diamond that took a little while to shine? Or did Koeman just not realise what he had?

Has been better than Wanyama for over a year already.

When you add in his vision distribution and ability to read a game so much better to his undoubted ball winning abilities

Romeu is now key at the base of our new diamond formation

Not sure Wanyama with his great ball winning abilities could hold this role given his greater weaknesses in vision and distribution

Another diamond that took a little while to shine? Or did Koeman just not realise what he had?

OK he doesn't have the same physical characteristics (height /weight ) but I think he is a better player in some ways. Early days .

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29212/10633141/the-rise-of-romeu

skysports-oriol-romeu-southampton-chelsea_3817379.jpg?20161026153122

Even the most optimistic Southampton supporters could have been forgiven for feeling nervous when the transfer window shut without the arrival of a Victor Wanyama replacement. His departure to Tottenham had left a huge hole at the base of their midfield, and a winless start to the Premier League season only added to the anxiety.

As it turns out, they need not have worried. Southampton have made a habit of reinvention, and this year Oriol Romeu has been the biggest success story. The 25-year-old Spaniard started fewer than half of the Saints' Premier League games in his first campaign on the south coast, but he has stepped into Wanyama's shoes and made an impressive impact this season.

Looking at the defensive stats for this season (per game)...

Romeu

Tackles = 3

Interceptions = 2.8

Clearances = 1

Dribbles = 2.1

Blocks = 0.6

Wanyama

Tackles = 2.9

Interceptions = 1.1

Clearances = 4

Dribbles = 1.5

Blocks = 0.5

... Romeu comes out on top for 4 of the 5 key defensive stats...

Still think Wanyama at his very best is better than Romeu.

But Romeu is far more consistent, has a much better attitude, and you know what you will get. Wanyama goes AWOL in games or gets himself sent off

So I would pick Romeu every time

Wanyama was never asked to play for Chelsea.

Romeu looks to be rather special if he stays fit we have pulled off a massive coup... and... and he gives every impression of liking it at our Club, seems to be becoming the life and should of our party. Get him on a ten year contract Les!

What a change from The Incredible Sulk.

I maintain that it is hard to compare two such different players. Wanyama is of course much more physical. Not many are 6'2 tall and the same width. Romeu is to me a more intelligent player (although I know others will disagree) and a more incisive passer of the ball. But as CW says, the attitude of OR is better.

Looking at the defensive stats for this season (per game)...

Romeu

Tackles = 3

Interceptions = 2.8

Clearances = 1

Dribbles = 2.1

Blocks = 0.6

Wanyama

Tackles = 2.9

Interceptions = 1.1

Clearances = 4

Dribbles = 1.5

Blocks = 0.5

... Romeu comes out on top for 4 of the 5 key defensive stats...

I'd be interested to see how they compare statistically when it comes to passing. One of the more common knocks against Wanyama was his inability to pass consistently well. And his discipline, particularly last season.

The problem with passing stats, is that it doesn't really take into account what sort of pass they are. I for some reason had the EFL L'pool Spurs game on, and when Vic came on, not only did he run around like a headless chicken and get caught out of position an awful lot, his passes in general were the short sideways ones.

The problem with passing stats, is that it doesn't really take into account what sort of pass they are. I for some reason had the EFL L'pool Spurs game on, and when Vic came on, not only did he run around like a headless chicken and get caught out of position an awful lot, his passes in general were the short sideways ones.

Good point. I don't remember Wanyama producing many incisive forward passes. It was a common complaint about him if I recall.

Wanyama was back in 'looking disinterested' mode this evening from what I could see (only caught part of the game on BT Sport)

Wasn't just Wanyama, practically the whole spurs side looked out of sorts and generally pretty clueless.Lloris almost gifted the germans a goal in the first minutes.Spurs inability to score is obviously affecting them badly.

• 2 years later...
Got to feel for him. I'd never question his attitude and it's not like he's been much worse than most of our players, just plays in a position where Hojbjerg and Lemina clearly dominate.

Hojbjerg clearly dominate? Hoj may have more of an engine than Romeu but Romeu is technically better on the ball and reads the game well defensively.

Hojbjerg clearly dominate? Hoj may have more of an engine than Romeu but Romeu is technically better on the ball and reads the game well defensively.

Dominate's the wrong word, I just mean he and Lemina are guaranteed a starting place. Romeu at his best is far better defensively than either of them but we haven't seen it from him since Puel left.

Once that cretin Hughes has gone, Romeu will be back in the team as he deserves to be. Those who rate Lemina & Hojberg more highly clearly do not watch games very closely. Lemina disappeared last night after HT, at one point I thought he had been subbed off but nope he was still out there running around at half speed and nowhere near the action or the ball.

I can only assume he has had some kind of injury recently that the club has not publicised.

Why else would such a senior player not even make the bench for a few games and then end up playing for the U23s?

because Hughes is a knob? When we played Chelsea Romeu came on and immediately beefed up midfield we had a tackler.

His passing has been a bit off but he should be on bench at least.

Brighton 2-1 up and he brings on Davis and Jwp neither can tackle head or cover back 4.

I would rather try Romeu at centre half done it before than see Hoedt cock up again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

talking of Wanyama, big Vic doesn’t get to play many games at Tottenham. Maybe he would like to come back? Schneiderlin doesn’t play many games for Everton either and neither does Clyne at Liverpool. They can’t all have lost their talent and they are all still in their twenties if I am correct.

Come on new DoF, get rid of Forster, Hoedt, Austin, Cedric etc and let’s bring the class of 2013 back together

talking of Wanyama, big Vic doesn’t get to play many games at Tottenham. Maybe he would like to come back? Schneiderlin doesn’t play many games for Everton either and neither does Clyne at Liverpool. They can’t all have lost their talent and they are all still in their twenties if I am correct.

Come on new DoF, get rid of Forster, Hoedt, Austin, Cedric etc and let’s bring the class of 2013 back together

Like your style, Kucho. Round up the old boys! They'd all want 100k pw though.

because Hughes is a knob? When we played Chelsea Romeu came on and immediately beefed up midfield we had a tackler.

His passing has been a bit off but he should be on bench at least.

Brighton 2-1 up and he brings on Davis and Jwp neither can tackle head or cover back 4.

I would rather try Romeu at centre half done it before than see Hoedt cock up again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agree. Romeu has been criminally underused by Hughes, unless there's a reason we don't know about. O.R. immediately adds a bit of steel to the side and he can pass and distribute well at his best; I think he should be used as part of a three midfield (M.L. and PEH) more often. The playing of Austin, LOng and Hoedt and the freezing out of Romeu are my major criticisms of Hughes which also tie in with substitutions.

I have watched very little football this season, but the dropping of Romeu was one of the few managerial decisions that went along with what people on here were saying at the time. For several matches people said he was poor and needed dropping and then that happened. I honestly have no personal opinion on the matter as I haven't seen enough, but this time MH actually followed the overwhelming calls for a player to be dropped. Maybe we're spelling or pronouncing Hoedt wrongly for him...

I have watched very little football this season, but the dropping of Romeu was one of the few managerial decisions that went along with what people on here were saying at the time. For several matches people said he was poor and needed dropping and then that happened. I honestly have no personal opinion on the matter as I haven't seen enough, but this time MH actually followed the overwhelming calls for a player to be dropped. Maybe we're spelling or pronouncing Hoedt wrongly for him...

You are correct - Romeu was playing poorly and was deservedly dropped. People should simply go back and read match threads from the first month of the season.

As is always the case when a team is struggling, though, any player not in the lineup immediately is thought to have improved or is better than the current players, because they aren't the ones currently losing the games.

Insofar as the overall outfield makeup goes this season, Hojbjerg has been the player of the season, Redmond perhaps just behind him in those stakes, and Lemina probably next best ... so unless the formation changes and Romeu plays in a 3 man central midfield, there doesn't seem to be a valid argument for breaking up what has been the only decent part of the Saints lineup so far this season.

All that said, I would probably favour a 4-3-3 lineup anyway:

RB - Cedric?! Train wreck this season

CB - Bednarek / Yoshida

CB - Vestergaard

LB - Bertrand? Pretty much a train wreck this season too

DM - Romeu

CM - Hojbjerg

CM - Lemina

RW - Armstrong

ST - Ings

LW - Redmond

Romeu has lost out because Hughes has insisted on playing 4-4-2 most of the season with two box to box types in the middle.

Romeu is a proper sitting DM possession based type player when played in that role, like he was under Puel, protecting the back four he is an asset .

He really isn't suited to play as a more mobile midfield two getting up down the pitch in a team that just lumps the ball forward a lot of the time.

You are correct - Romeu was playing poorly and was deservedly dropped. People should simply go back and read match threads from the first month of the season.

As is always the case when a team is struggling, though, any player not in the lineup immediately is thought to have improved or is better than the current players, because they aren't the ones currently losing the games.

Insofar as the overall outfield makeup goes this season, Hojbjerg has been the player of the season, Redmond perhaps just behind him in those stakes, and Lemina probably next best ... so unless the formation changes and Romeu plays in a 3 man central midfield, there doesn't seem to be a valid argument for breaking up what has been the only decent part of the Saints lineup so far this season.

Don't think I'd argue with any of that. Perhaps the Northampton game was a way of giving him some much needed match practice and he will be in the squad for Saturday for his defensive qualities?

Romeu has lost out because Hughes has insisted on playing 4-4-2 most of the season with two box to box types in the middle.

Romeu is a proper sitting DM possession based type player when played in that role, like he was under Puel, protecting the back four he is an asset .

He really isn't suited to play as a more mobile midfield two getting up down the pitch in a team that just lumps the ball forward a lot of the time.

Yup, and we're really not very good at 442.

Yup, and we're really not very good at 442.

and ourr recruitment since we returned to the premier league has never suited it we have seemingly always recruited players to fit a 4-2-3-1 like we played under poch and Koeman even this summers signings suit that formula so I've no idea what we are doing playing a 442!

Romeu is one of the best players I have seen in a Saints shirt. He is also intelligent and I would imagine a good influence around the camp. Boufal is a fabulously skillful player who needed an arm put around him. I am never quick to criticise managers but Hughes is guilty of bad man management.

An arm around him?! IF the reports are true he needed a good fist in his face.

Romeu is one of the best players I have seen in a Saints shirt. He is also intelligent and I would imagine a good influence around the camp. Boufal is a fabulously skillful player who needed an arm put around him. I am never quick to criticise managers but Hughes is guilty of bad man management.

Oh please....Really!

Heard he kicked off at Fulham when told he wasn't in the squad and decided to leave rather than stay and watch the game
Which suggests Hughes decided on the cutting off nose to spite face approach...

Why not just fine him rather than restrict our selection options by banishing him from the squad?