Route to Milan 2016

saintoaks

Would be interested to hear the routes of how us saints fans will be descending on Milan this week. Ours is quite boring, flying from Gatwick at 7am Thursday into linate for 10am. Chuck the bags into the hotel then out for a few ! Have heard some weird and wonderful routes getting to Milan, see you there !

Would be interested to hear the routes of how us saints fans will be descending on Milan this week. Ours is quite boring, flying from Gatwick at 7am Thursday into linate for 10am. Chuck the bags into the hotel then out for a few ! Have heard some weird and wonderful routes getting to Milan, see you there !

We're on that flight too

We are flying into Geneva from Gatport Airwick for 9:10 pick up the hire car, meander down to Milan through the Mont Blanc tunnel, arrive Milan for lunch dump the gear, have a mooch about. Game probably more drinking, pour ourselves into bed. Leisurely breakfast amble back over the Alps lunch along the way for our flight back to Blighty at 19:10

Route to the San Siro? Uncle Mick's Hillman Imp from Tichfield Common to the Dell in the back seat with my brother and a packet of spangles and my late great dad and the afore-mentined uncle up front. A ridiculously sunny autumn day in October '66 as an impressionable 5 year old made his way to a long-held place of family pilgrimage, a journey we were to repeat countless times over the years. Up hill and down dale we trudged, the good times and the bad, the highs and the lows, as dad dragged us (willingly!) all around the West Midlands in search of our seasonal Saints fixes. Fast forward to now and the flame still burns as brightly, dad's long gone but uncle Mick still has a ST in the Itchen and at a spritely 70 years of age you can still see a glimpse of the fine looking young man with the sideburns and the whiff of the Hillman Imp about him. Just realised writing this down that this season is my fiftieth Saints-going season and I'm going to see little old Southampton run out at the San Siro, bring it on, I'll be the one with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye, happy days.

Route to the San Siro? Uncle Mick's Hillman Imp from Tichfield Common to the Dell in the back seat with my brother and a packet of spangles and my late great dad and the afore-mentined uncle up front. A ridiculously sunny autumn day in October '66 as an impressionable 5 year old made his way to a long-held place of family pilgrimage, a journey we were to repeat countless times over the years. Up hill and down dale we trudged, the good times and the bad, the highs and the lows, as dad dragged us (willingly!) all around the West Midlands in search of our seasonal Saints fixes. Fast forward to now and the flame still burns as brightly, dad's long gone but uncle Mick still has a ST in the Itchen and at a spritely 70 years of age you can still see a glimpse of the fine looking young man with the sideburns and the whiff of the Hillman Imp about him. Just realised writing this down that this season is my fiftieth Saints-going season and I'm going to see little old Southampton run out at the San Siro, bring it on, I'll be the one with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye, happy days.

You started about the same time as me , but I wont be there on Wednesday as I dont have a passport, so could you do two lumps and two tears for another old fart who cant be there.

same year I started my saints journey,if correct a two nil defeat to leeds united at the dell for me

to think we will be playing one of the greats of European football is a dream come true.

think it will bring a lump in the throat to many of the older generation

also on the lgw to malpensa 9.am

Great post Sandwich!

Tomorrow morning - Gatwick to Turin, staying with a friend and then train to Milan Thursday morning ( I may splash out on the fast train..). Lunch at a student's restaurant, then who knows, then back via Linate Friday. Time for bed, no more transmissions and back on 16.

S

20:35 flight from Heathrow to Malpensa on Wednesday, then Linate to Heathrow on Friday morning. Anyone else travelling solo for this?

Will be getting to Malpensa at a similar time to you on the Wednesday.

How are you planning to get from the airport into Milan?

Edited by beavis17

Will be getting to Malpensa at a similar time to you on the Wednesday.

How are you planning to get from the airport into Milan?

Think trains will still be running - the lady of the apartment I'm staying at said it costs about 90E to taxi all the way (we're staying slightly North-West of the centre), and recommended getting a train to Cadorna station and the a taxi from there, as the connecting trains don't run very often as it gets late. I expect the trains to the other main stations will be running as well.

Think trains will still be running - the lady of the apartment I'm staying at said it costs about 90E to taxi all the way (we're staying slightly North-West of the centre), and recommended getting a train to Cadorna station and the a taxi from there, as the connecting trains don't run very often as it gets late. I expect the trains to the other main stations will be running as well.

The last train looks to be at 22:43 from what I can tell.

9.45 AM Tuesday Emirates Dubai Dxb to Malpensa meeting son no three in Milan City Centre early evening for my ticket (he is flying from Stanstead to Linate) back late Friday to the Heat Sun Sand and Sea.

I am on the same flight out as Dubai Phil so brushing up on my golf knowledge! Also staying at the same hotel as Eric of Arabia he of the lucky sash ( hope it's coming too)! ( There are a dozen or so of us Dubai Saints going, look out for our flag at the match)

Also my fifteenth year watching Saints having started in the days of McGrath The great late Ron Davies Terry Paine Chivers and a very young Channon

Seems like lots won't be there Wednesday evening then. Out crack of dawn Wed from Heathrow. So looking forward to this one. Has meant Sunday evening doesn't even has its dark feel.

Very true:

At the final whistle yesterday after an enjoyable game, as the PA was announcing "Saints are next in action............" I turned to my mate and said ".....in Italy!!" "righto back home pack our bags", and he said "see you at Gatwick on Thursday morning": the pair of us grinning like fools.

Not ashamed to say 52 years of age and excited!