RIP Gray Sprake

Winnersaint

This is sad news. I earn a living in publishing and about ten years ago I worked on his authorised biography 'Careless Hands: The Forgotten Truth of Gary Sprake'. It's a formidable defence of his reputation against accusations of his being error-prone. The author asserts that he was actually a superb goalkeeper, but was unfortunate enough to make mistakes when playing in a few televised matches at a time when hardly any football was broadcast. This has led to the incorrect impression that he was habitually letting his team down. Across a 500+ game career he was no more or no less error-prone than any other goalkeeper. It's an interesting book, and he turned up at our offices when the book came out to sign a few. He was a pleasant, friendly guy, and he deserves a lot of posthumous respect.

I believe he did. By the time I saw my first game at the Dell against Leeds in October 1963 he was a fixture in the team. Went on to play the best part of 400 games for a dominant Leeds under Revie a team which didn't have weak links. He was a good keeper but things like the Peter Houseman goal in 1970 Cup Final show that he was prone an error or two.