Inter 1 Saints 0 - Reactions

St Chalet

Just thought i would post this Alpine special for those who missed his words of wisdom from the match thread..

"We have blown this bigtime

Puel was an awful choice and Uncle Les lost the plot this summer"

If anyone has any doubt ,any doubt at all that this fool is an utter tw at this should confirm it once and for all...

...and whilst you waste your time and ours condemning other posters, maybe it's time you stood back and looked at your own motives. Do you really think that the rest of the posters on this website are in the least bit interested in your narrow and bigoted views of other people when most com eon here to share thoughts on matter football and Saints matters in particular. No offence meant.

...and whilst you waste your time and ours condemning other posters, maybe it's time you stood back and looked at your own motives. Do you really think that the rest of the posters on this website are in the least bit interested in your narrow and bigoted views of other people when most com eon here to share thoughts on matter football and Saints matters in particular. No offence meant.

No offence taken... and for the record i post my veiws and get comments both critical and non critical and i post comments in the same way but am not

in the least bothered how mine are taken...

However if someone does post something mind bogglingly stupid like "We never looked like scoring last night" it deserves complete ridicule

My Spurs supporting friend is usually first to mock any Saints defeat. Got the following text from him last night though: "1-0 to the Italians, who would have seen that coming. Great effort Saints though". Getting praise from him is praise indeed. It felt great this morning waking up to the realisation that I witnessed Saints outplay Inter Milan at the San Siro and only lost to Inter's one and only shot on target. Ok, so Inter aren't the force they once were. The amount of stuffs I'm giving about that right now are negligible. We march on!

We never looked like scoring last night .......

Really? Is that how others saw it as well?? I'm getting on now, bit of a doddering old fool, nearly into my 60's. When I see statements like this it confuses the life out of me, how on earth can you come to that kind of conclusion. My opening gambit would've been very similar to yours, something along the lines of:

"We never looked like losing last night...."

Honestly, really?

Really? Is that how others saw it as well?? I'm getting on now, bit of a doddering old fool, nearly into my 60's. When I see statements like this it confuses the life out of me, how on earth can you come to that kind of conclusion. My opening gambit would've been very similar to yours, something along the lines of:

"We never looked like losing last night...."

Honestly, really?

Perhaps Charlie meant "I got the feeling that we would never score from the many chances we created"...?

Perhaps Charlie meant "I got the feeling that we would never score from the many chances we created"...?

I understand the fact that people are probably quite disappointed with the result - but that's probably more to do with the fact that we did put in a very good performance. I only managed to watch the last hour and I can remember two being cleared off the line, Charlie going just wide, J Rod near to getting on the end of one and having one disallowed, VVD hitting the keeper from 6 yards when he really should have scored. And that's just off the top of my head.

To say that we never looked like scoring is quite frankly bizarre.

Such a shame we didn't get anything. But just shows how far we've come since league one days to be disappointed not to win at the San Siro!! Inter were durge until they took the lead. We have to be more clinical in the home tie. Thought Mcqueen did great again and Romeu too. Hope Fonte gets the chance to captain us against them in a couple of weeks- because he's earnt it.

Poo.

Can anyone tell me why we are third in the group and not second? Goal difference? Goals scored? Goal average? Pound not worth jack $h!t against teh euro? Inside leg measurement? What?

This is only important once we have played all the games and there are two teams with the same no of points. Then it's based on results between the two teams in question; if that's equal then goes to goal difference and then onto who scored the most goals. If this doesn't resolve it then there are further criteria which is highly unlikely to happen.

Internazionale still have some ferclucking good players in their team, with the likes of Perisic just sitting on the bench. They obviously have quality, just haven't got into gear at all this season.

For us to dominate as we did, with 7000 loud and proud fans, and only sheer bad luck costing us a draw or win, leaves a warm feeling in my heart. As another poster put it, to paraphrase; "If I had chicken for dinner, we'd have won". It really was that close. A gnats scrote away from all three points at the San Siro. It could be worse!

Work on our finishing and we're sorted.

Back home on my second mug of tea, tired, with a foul cold, sounding like a frog after singing with a sore throat but strangely satisfied.

It's a shame about the injuries to Long and Redmond as they looked vulnerable to pace (and Long's niggling persistance), and a confident J-Rod would have scored in the first half, although his disallowed header looked good from the other end. Their goal came from nothing and a momentary lack of concentration, although I'd have to watch the replays to see where from. I'm fine with the use of the squad, we seem to have found another full-back out of it, and as we have so many games it's a necessity, even if people on here argue for playing our strongest team all the time. The injuries we've suffered highlight the need, and it should be remembered we're in 4 competitions still. Puel's comments about players not being able to maintain standards playing three times a week seem particularly apposite with Austin, and I can quite see why J-Rod was chosen as starter for this game.

One day JWP will learn to finish, in the meantime perhaps we can nickname him Jigsaw as he goes to pieces in the box, but in the meantime it's great to have those free-kicks with that angled run-up which nearly took out Inter's high line, but for some poor finishing.

My ticket for the home game was on the mat when I got home, I so hope we stuff them...

Very hard result to take but it's a learning curb for these players. Lots of positives, Boufal looked intelligent, Yoshida made a couple of good tackles and I thought that was one of JWP's best games in a Saints shirt other than the chance he missed. I couldn't believe it when the commentator said he isn't even 22 yet. He must have been ridiculously young when he became a first team regular. I had him down for about 24.

Makes it all the more ridiculous that the JWP bashing started when he was about 19

I understand the fact that people are probably quite disappointed with the result - but that's probably more to do with the fact that we did put in a very good performance. I only managed to watch the last hour and I can remember two being cleared off the line, Charlie going just wide, J Rod near to getting on the end of one and having one disallowed, VVD hitting the keeper from 6 yards when he really should have scored. And that's just off the top of my head.

To say that we never looked like scoring is quite frankly bizarre.

Are you a fan of Jeremy Vine by any chance?

How did he "not create a chance"? Maybe the author has a different idea of chance creation than me. Thought he also slotted into the Romeu position well when needed as well, most of our MFs now samlessly fill in on an as needed basis when Oriol gets forward, Hjojberg and Davis also do this very well. Still think his future is more defensively oriented than creative.

I understand the fact we need to rotate with the number of games we have this season.

When you rotate it's always going to propel some players into contention to start, and some will end up forcing themselves out the door as they don't perform.

Austin is a fine example of the first, the games v Sparta really helped boost him and he's not looked back since. Unfortunately, players like Jrod seem to be the latter. I feel sorry for the bloke, nasty injury at a time when he was playing his best football. He's so far off the pace and lacking confidence it's unreal. I don't even think a loan deal will help him, I think we just need to cut our losses and get him off the wage bill sooner rather than later.

Midfield was decent, VVD cost us (again) but overall we looked fairly solid. It's the final third that's the problem. I'd like to see Olumola (sp?) given a run out from the bench on Wednesday to see what he can offer, as it can't be any less than what Long and Jrod currently do.

I understand the fact we need to rotate with the number of games we have this season.

When you rotate it's always going to propel some players into contention to start, and some will end up forcing themselves out the door as they don't perform.

Austin is a fine example of the first, the games v Sparta really helped boost him and he's not looked back since. Unfortunately, players like Jrod seem to be the latter. I feel sorry for the bloke, nasty injury at a time when he was playing his best football. He's so far off the pace and lacking confidence it's unreal. I don't even think a loan deal will help him, I think we just need to cut our losses and get him off the wage bill sooner rather than later.

Midfield was decent, VVD cost us (again) but overall we looked fairly solid. It's the final third that's the problem. I'd like to see Olumola (sp?) given a run out from the bench on Wednesday to see what he can offer, as it can't be any less than what Long and Jrod currently do.

Easier said than done, he's on a fair wedge and has a pretty long contract.

Internazionale still have some ferclucking good players in their team, with the likes of Perisic just sitting on the bench. They obviously have quality, just haven't got into gear at all this season.

For us to dominate as we did, with 7000 loud and proud fans, and only sheer bad luck costing us a draw or win, leaves a warm feeling in my heart. As another poster put it, to paraphrase; "If I had chicken for dinner, we'd have won". It really was that close. A gnats scrote away from all three points at the San Siro. It could be worse!

Work on our finishing and we're sorted.

I actually did have chicken for dinner and we lost, where does that leave me? Just back, fantastico doesn't come close. Lovely city, very chillled, not sure where the horror stories on here came from? Would definitely go back, acoustics from their end (and ours) were awesome, would love to see a game there in front of a full house.

JWP and Romeou our pick on the day, nothing wrong with the selection, if Jrod/JWP/Long score in the first half we win that game. Maybe naive of us to keep driving forwards at 0-0, hindsight's a wonderful thing but it got very scrappy after they scored; 1-0 to the Italy and they knew enough/did enough to keep their noses (just) in front.

Hopefully we will spank them in the return but it won't be easy, free-flowing football that lacks the killer touch v niggly get-the-job done football. 'Patience' is our friend, win 1-0 and we will have one foot in the next round....

I hope people remember quotes like this when they bemoan a player wanting to leave the club - loyalty should work both ways

Still baffling how we lost that.

Great stadium, shame the locals had little interest.

Think young Pierre needs a bit more regular game time, as it just wasn't working as he wished, Tadic a pain in the backside with his powder puff passing, then mass waving of hands at everyone else on the pitch when everyone else is defending the attack from his short changed pass (yes he is very good and equally he can be very bad).

Just one of those games overall, that said ref was a total homer Trash a Saints player nothing, breathe on an inter player from 10 feet: foul!??! World championship time wasting masterclass from Inter........... If they could still get away with it they would have had the hordes of photographers just behind the goal line with no film in their cameras but an endless supply of flash bulbs.

Was it just our positioning high up in the stand or did that pitch look a bit bigger than most.

Despite the result a very memorable trip, 7000 Saints fans was impressive, for someone who's first live game as a nipper was v Notts County in 1978 to stand in that stadium watching my team was great........... Bit different to Walsall at the Bescot on a Wednesday night.

We flew into Geneva and drove to Milan through the Alps via the Mont Blanc Tunnel, the scenery was stunning (coming home the other way via the Simplon Pass similar) as we drove down the mountains me and my mate, having been here and there following Saints, just said to each other the drive to an away game at home is going to be bloody dull after this feast for our eyes.

Tbf to Jay he was millimetres from scoring a few times and had the ball in the net once too.

This.

He was not as bad as people are making out or as bad as Redmond or Long is at finishing.

Jay Rod I feel is getting back to full fitness now, if he can come off the bench tomorrow for 15-20 and play the 90 on Wednesday vs Sunderland without any injury issues I think we will all see him get back to his former self and score at least 12-15 in all comps ( has 2 already), he is the best finisher we have at the club.

Having Jay Rod, Austin, Long, Boufal, Redmond and Tadic on rotation with 3-4 of them starting is great depth to have.

Well, after an amazing four days in Milan, I am now back in Hampshire with a sense of 'did that really happen?. The build-up to matchday was an incredible experience. Saints fans everywhere, with the majority having a great time whilst representing themselves and the club admirably. Many beers were drunk and many songs were sung, and the anticipation of playing Inter Milan in the San Siro (yes, really, Inter Milan in the San Siro) was building by the hour. On arrival at the ground, it really was a case of having to pinch yourself. The San Siro is an amazing sight which takes your breath away. But, for me, it was a symbol of just how far we have come as a club in recent years. The fans did themselves proud throughout the game and did they all could to help the team record what would have been an historic victory. But, alas, it wasn't to be. However, I sit here now at my laptop immensely proud of my club, my fellow supporters and everyone else connected to Southampton FC. Let's not see this trip to Milan as a defeat, but more of an indication of the progress we have made, and as inspiration for future success in Europe.

This.

He was not as bad as people are making out or as bad as Redmond or Long is at finishing.

Jay Rod I feel is getting back to full fitness now, if he can come off the bench tomorrow for 15-20 and play the 90 on Wednesday vs Sunderland without any injury issues I think we will all see him get back to his former self and score at least 12-15 in all comps ( has 2 already), he is the best finisher we have at the club.

Having Jay Rod, Austin, Long, Boufal, Redmond and Tadic on rotation with 3-4 of them starting is great depth to have.

Not sure how you draw that conclusion about him. Even at his peak, 2013-14 before his injury , he aways seemed to need about four chances before one came off for him.

Plenty of attacking options, but Austin is the only real goalscorer amongst them (Boufal may of course prove otherwise).

• 4 years later...

5 years ago today.

What a superb away trip that was. Disappointing result but we gave them a good game.

I was slightly late arriving and only got there just before kick off. I will never forget the feeling of walking up towards one of the most iconic sports stadiums in the world and hearing OWTS booming out from inside it.

• Like 3

A mate we went with tagged me in a memory on Facebook, when it popped up on the iPad I had a look - I was greeted with "memories from this day". Just looking at my posts the over riding thought was "What a fantastic away day" - and our superb road trip from Geneva and back just added lustre to it all.

Yes it would have been nice to have won - but anyone who was there (and not stupidly drunk to have obliterated recall) must hold it up there as one of best away days ever - just for the sheer adventure 

• Like 2

Yeah, what a fantastic trip. I think the majority of us fully well knew it was not going to happen again for a long time....

That side...

Forster 6; Martina 6.5, Yoshida 6, Van Dijk 6, McQueen 6.5; Hojbjerg 6, Romeu 6.5, Ward-Prowse 6.5; Tadic 6 (Boufal 73 6); Rodriguez 6.5 (Davis 78), Long 6 (Austin 48 6.5).

Not the strongest...can't remember who else we had that season but Cedric, Bertrand and Fonte were missing, can't remember whether that's because we were playing the "squad game" or whether it was just our strongest team at the time? (Fonte I know had gone "awol" and left out of european games run)

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah, what a fantastic trip. I think the majority of us fully well knew it was not going to happen again for a long time....

That side...

Forster 6; Martina 6.5, Yoshida 6, Van Dijk 6, McQueen 6.5; Hojbjerg 6, Romeu 6.5, Ward-Prowse 6.5; Tadic 6 (Boufal 73 6); Rodriguez 6.5 (Davis 78), Long 6 (Austin 48 6.5).

Not the strongest...can't remember who else we had that season but Cedric, Bertrand and Fonte were missing, can't remember whether that's because we were playing the "squad game" or whether it was just our strongest team at the time? (Fonte I know had gone "awol" and left out of european games run)

Interesting I guess a few went on to play some more European games, guess Van Dijk the most, closely followed by Tadic, then Davis and Forster a little while on loan?

11 hours ago, benjii said:

I flew out to Italy... the next day on a holiday booked before the fixtures were out. Ball sacks!

I did go to Prague and to Israel though.

Both performances were diabolical. But still a good laugh.

Thousands of miles travelled without a goal scored, classic Puel. 

People like to be reminiscent about Milan but for me Hapeol Beersheeva away was the best trip, set a record for furthest ever distance for a competitive Saints fixture , doubt that will be beaten unless the Premier league start playing league games in America and Asia. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Thousands of miles travelled without a goal scored, classic Puel. 

People like to be reminiscent about Milan but for me Hapeol Beersheeva away was the best trip, set a record for furthest ever distance for a competitive Saints fixture , doubt that will be beaten unless the Premier league start playing league games in America and Asia. 

Still annoyed I didn't go to that but could only afford 2 and Prague and Milan were the easier options.

Think I enjoyed Prague most out of all the European trips although Arnhem was interesting in the square before the game.

On 21/10/2021 at 06:29, Lighthouse said:

Because he was 33 and we needed to balance the games with everyone else and rotate the squad.

Not sure it was that at all - genuinely thought the fact that he didn’t feature in any of the European games whatsoever was some sort of punishment from higher up for him wanting to leave that summer whilst his stock was so high post Euros.

This quote from Alpine was pretty nail on the head though 

"We have blown this bigtime

Its nice watching that highlights video further up the thread, don’t remember it being such a one sided match. Can’t say I remember much of the game at all after that day by the canal to be fair.

On 22/10/2021 at 23:06, bpsaint said:

Not sure it was that at all - genuinely thought the fact that he didn’t feature in any of the European games whatsoever was some sort of punishment from higher up for him wanting to leave that summer whilst his stock was so high post Euros.

This quote from Alpine was pretty nail on the head though 

"We have blown this bigtime

Its nice watching that highlights video further up the thread, don’t remember it being such a one sided match. Can’t say I remember much of the game at all after that day by the canal to be fair.

I thought it was with his stock supposedly high - we were considering him being off Jan so why lessen the ticket price with him European cup tied.