DNA Tests

Nordic Saint

Anyone here done a DNA test? If so, what did you find out? I've just sent off for the Ancestry DNA kit, as I'm interested in my ancestry. They seem quite reasonably priced nowadays, at less than £100. I think it's going to take a while as it has to be sent to the USA. I'll report back later on whether it was worth it (if anyone is interested).

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the results. I've been thinking of getting one and also as a present for my parents as my Dad is particularly interested in this type of thing. My Nan comes from decent Romany stock so I'd expect some out of that to come out in the results. Look forward to seeing what you think of your results.

Slightly different to what you were asking but I had test done when I was working at a hospital in London. Aalt that time they were part of the project mapping the human genome and needed handy volunteers. My feedback was "pretty good, good heart good lungs, but if you suffer from a severe bout of food poisoning after your 40s you will end up as hunchback".

I guess they've refined the debriefing a bit since then....

Anyone here done a DNA test? If so, what did you find out? I've just sent off for the Ancestry DNA kit, as I'm interested in my ancestry. They seem quite reasonably priced nowadays, at less than £100. I think it's going to take a while as it has to be sent to the USA. I'll report back later on whether it was worth it (if anyone is interested).

Not sure it's really worth the money - thought I'd get a full blown in depth report but only received the bare basics uploaded onto my Ancestry page. Not really sure that I should have expected more but just seemed a tad underwhelming.

Will be interested to hear what you think.

Not sure it's really worth the money - thought I'd get a full blown in depth report but only received the bare basics uploaded onto my Ancestry page. Not really sure that I should have expected more but just seemed a tad underwhelming.

Will be interested to hear what you think.

Sorry to hear that, Horley. I sent off my sample today and have been told to expect a 6-8 week wait for the results. My expectations are quite high too. I was impressed by the testing kit and packaging anyway. What exactly are the bare basics? Did you get any links with other people as they claim and did it help sustantiate links in your Ancestry family tree?

Sorry to hear that, Horley. I sent off my sample today and have been told to expect a 6-8 week wait for the results. My expectations are quite high too. I was impressed by the testing kit and packaging anyway. What exactly are the bare basics? Did you get any links with other people as they claim and did it help sustantiate links in your Ancestry family tree?

Hi yep it did give me a number of matches 4-6th cousin upwards and a percentage certainty of a link which was quite interesting (but as not currently a paid up Ancestry member I've not pursued too many of these to date) so I guess there's some benefits to be had here.

Also gave me a % ancestry by geographic area (21% Scandinavian ) but the rest was all just generic filler - still I'll be interested to see what you think of it

I was thinking of doing this for my wife as an Xmas pressie. It seems very clearly outlined on the Ancestry site what you might expect, so that is not an issue for me. I won't be expecting anything more than an email with a few percentages covering some fairly broad geographical areas.

I want to do it really for the LOLz as my wife, just like any other American has a very clear idea on here heritage (Sicilian/Nordic/German) based entirely on flimsy evidence, hearsay and a few frankly ridiculous family stories passed down over the years.

Whatever the results, it will be interesting for her.