The fuss about squad rotation

alpine_saint

The Echo has 2 article a day about it.

As a principle, I dont have a problem with it. And it concerns me that Puel seems to feel the need to justify it in every interview (and that he keeps being asked about it).

The problem with its current incarnation at SFC is that we dont have the players for it. We have one functioning forward. Long is injured and has been, well, sh*te this season, and J-Rod is clearly still struggling to come back to form (and its not unfair to ask if he ever will...). And we definitely have a current (if temporary) issue with full-backs.

Seems to me that we are basically choosing which games to attempt to win. That was never the principle behind squad rotation. Did we choose to make a fist of the Man City game rather than have a real go at the San Siro ??? Some of the players comments in advance made it sound it wasnt the case. Where is the priority next week - Chelsea or the return Milan fixture ??

As a principle, I dont have a problem with it. And it concerns me that Puel seems to feel the need to justify it in every interview (and that he keeps being asked about it).

The problem with its current incarnation at SFC is that we dont have the players for it. We have one functioning forward. Long is injured and has been, well, sh*te this season, and J-Rod is clearly still struggling to come back to form (and its not unfair to ask if he ever will...). And we definitely have a current (if temporary) issue with full-backs.

Seems to me that we are basically choosing which games to attempt to win. That was never the principle behind squad rotation. Did we choose to make a fist of the Man City game rather than have a real go at the San Siro ??? Some of the players comments in advance made it sound it wasnt the case. Where is the priority next week - Chelsea or the return Milan fixture ??

:lol:

You are nuts.... we gave both game a good go..... if you think we dont try to win all games, you dont have a clue...

I think it is obvious we made a go at Milan.

You've answered your own question. If he wasn't asked the same question repeatly he wouldn't have to keep justifying it.

As for the Inter game, it was obvious to everyone that we were the better side so we have got the squad for it. Obviously we we're not getting the goals we deserve but the form of the strikers is a different issue from the squad rotation policy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The use of our squad has been a real highlight. It also does partly address the catch-22 need for our out of contention players to have the opportunity to get back to match fitness in a competitive environment.

Can it leave us 'blunted' when it comes to specific games? Possibly, but it clearly is helping us stay fresh for these matches rather then just hammering the same starting eleven repeatedly and going into them shattered.

We have not played badly yet this season in my personal opinion. We have been wasteful and looked a little rusty in the first few games but we have never been totally battered or outclassed. We are bemoaning points dropped rather then poor performances. This tells me we are doing something fundamentally very right.

At the moment the rotation is working but with a few more injuries we could struggle a bit. I got nervous when VD was hobbling yesterday which delayed Boufal coming on but thankfully he was ok.

If VD or Rom get injured we will find it difficult, although we do have stand ins for those positions the quality is a long way short.

I don't think many teams play their full strength sides in Europe, choosing to keep players fresh for their league games.

The players who have come in will benefit massively from the experience.

The thing is if you want to be in Europe next season you have to do well in your domestic league. Short of winning the Europa if we want Europe again next season we need to finish top seven. Its a bit of a chicken egg scenario that will be the same all over Europe.

At the moment the rotation is working but with a few more injuries we could struggle a bit. I got nervous when VD was hobbling yesterday which delayed Boufal coming on but thankfully he was ok.

If VD or Rom get injured we will find it difficult, although we do have stand ins for those positions the quality is a long way short.

That's got little to do with squad rotation and more to do with the fact they are utter class players. Arguably squad rotation would actually help protect them but we need to play them most of the time as we don't have any depth behind them. Having said that both should get a rest in the cup game against Sunderland which to my mind will be good use of squad rotation.

Of course the stand ins are some way short! If we sold vvd next week he'd go for £40/50m, like wise Romeu would be £20/25m, any player coming off the bench to replace those will be some way short and although we have good depth this year we are not Man City when it comes to quality from the bench!

I think Puel has got the rotations about right, but I can understand why the media are obsessed with it.

Essentially, it provides a talking point about how seriously you're taking a particular game - given that in many instances, you're actually choosing NOT to field your best starting XI.

I presume that if the Inter match had been a "do or die" and the Man City match a total irrelevance, then certainly Fonte and very probably Austin would have started in Milan. We still fielded a strong team and were unlucky to lose, but it does provide storylines about the balance of priorities in the manager's mind and that's fair game IMHO, even if it does become a tad repetitive.

He's using the squad well, he's gone beyond the first team and looked in the U23's and has even altered players positions and they've done well.

I think we've got our strongest squad, since, well...ever. You can change midfield options around and we're not much weaker, you can change Tadic/Boufal/Redmond/Jay/Long/Austin around, and we're still threatening. We've got good options with Yoshida, VVD, Fonte at the back - I think Yoshida has done well in the EL games this year.

We've got two excellent goalkeepers, and 5 capable full backs. No real question over the squad, it's now just a case of using it well and getting the most out of it - which Puel seems to be managing perfectly.

What on earth are you smoking mate.

Should have won at inter, could have won at city.... Unbeaten in the league bar tough games away at arsenal and united... We're having a very good start to the season.

Not only that, but the players were absolutely knackered after city having given their all. This is despite them being rotated. We have Sunderland on wednesday and chelsea next weekend.

How on earth do you think we would have fared to date with no rotation and players dead on their feet? And how do you think we would manage the next two games with players completely fatigue.

Your post is by far and away one of the worst and most nonsensical i have ever read on this forum. Hopefully you'll realise that.

Also, giving jayrod and long opportunities through rotation is the only way they'll gain match sharpness and confidence.

Just a horrendous post tbh.

Should have won at inter, could have won at city.... Unbeaten in the league bar tough games away at arsenal and united... We're having a very good start to the season.

Not only that, but the players were absolutely knackered after city having given their all. This is despite them being rotated. We have Sunderland on wednesday and chelsea next weekend.

How on earth do you think we would have fared to date with no rotation and players dead on their feet? And how do you think we would manage the next two games with players completely fatigue.

Your post is by far and away one of the worst and most nonsensical i have ever read on this forum. Hopefully you'll realise that.

Also, giving jayrod and long opportunities through rotation is the only way they'll gain match sharpness and confidence.

+1

He'd be the first to start *****ing if we went with the same 11 and conceded late goals due to mental/physical tiredness and/or losing key players to avoidable fatigue-related injuries.

And before other troll chime in with "blah blah, getting millions to play a couple of games a week, easy" you have no clue as to how physically/mentally sapping playing at that tempo/level is. Even the fittest amongst us wouldn't last a minute at that level of physicality.

Chelsea or Milan what you stupid?............they are both equally as important you Muppet.

This response proves once and for all that the red mist descents when I post, rather than based on the content. I clearly stated I have nothing against it, but am concerned that it is such a talking point, as in, a lot of journos think there is mileage in the possibility that our squad isnt deep enough to provide decent rotation possibiliites.

"should have won at Inter, could have won at City"...well, why didnt we then ?

Excluding current FB lack of cover, which in time with players coming back will be addressed, the fact is we arent scoring enough goals. How can that be disputed ? We simply dont have enough squad depth up-front. Austin cant do it all himself, and J-Rod doesnt look like hes going to make it back. Long will probably pull himself together eventually, but its not enough. I think it entirely likely Puel is facing hard choices over which match he wants to win.

Nowhere have inferred the players in the squad arent putting enough effort in, or arent playing well. But we are struggling to put the ball in. We scored against City because Stones ballsed up.

Edited by alpine_saint

This response proves once and for all that the red mist descents when I post, rather than based on the content. I clearly stated I have nothing against it, but am concerned that it is such a talking point, as in, a lot of journos think there is mileage in the possibility that our squad isnt deep enough to provide decent rotation possibiliites.

Excluding current FB lack of cover, which in time with players coming back will be addressed, the fact is we arent scoring enough goals. How can that be disputed ? We simply dont have enough squad depth up-front. Austin cant do it all himself, and J-Rod doesnt look like hes going to make it back. Long will probably pull himself together eventually, but its not enough.

Nowhere have inferred the players in the squad arent putting enough effort in, or arent playing well. But we are struggling to put the ball in. We scored against City because Stones ballsed up.

We scored against City because Redmond pressed well, anticipated well, showed composure and executed a great finish.

Agree with most of this. It is annoying about Puel constantly having to answer questions on (and justify) his squad rotation - 'big' clubs do this a lot and it's considered normal due to their [expected?] fixtures glut as a result of being successful. We're just behaving like a 'big' club would, as we have extra fixtures due to our recent success (well done us!) - the Daily Fail would hate this, as we're only a, what was it, "small seaside club"? Ha. Ha.

My only difference of opinion: I think we DO have the players for our squad rotation, except we're being stretched by a spot of bad luck with short-term injuries, as you acknowledge.

In my opinion Puel is using more of the available players than Koeman ever did: McQueen, Targett & Hesketh are shining examples of this. I feel like we have a much broader squad of equal players than last season, so I'm not worried about injuries as much as I used to be. Having Boufal fit(-ish) is a boost, as well as Redmond's improving form. Hopefully Long will get his scoring boots back soon.

Mr S-Clarke provides similar sentiments in post 16, which I also agree with.

Excluding current FB lack of cover, which in time with players coming back will be addressed, the fact is we arent scoring enough goals. How can that be disputed ? We simply dont have enough squad depth up-front. Austin cant do it all himself, and J-Rod doesnt look like hes going to make it back. Long will probably pull himself together eventually, but its not enough. I think it entirely likely Puel is facing hard choices over which match he wants to win.

Oh boo hoo. With all the bull**** you've posted on here over the years what do you expect?

Hang on, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same poster that, back in Div 1, said we should rest players away at Brighton (I think) so they would be fresh for the play offs?

Some of you are agreeing with Alpine... others having a laugh, but the truth of it must be somewhere in between.

A few dumb journos repeatedly ask dumb questions and the obvious one seems to be about the squad rotation.

Whilst Prem. managers are searching for "the perfect eleven" Claude Puel is trying not to overwork individual players in a season that might conceivably see us playing over 50 games by May. Aside from the 38 Prem.games ..we already have an extra 6 (Europa League) plus more if we get past the group stages. A good run in the League / FA Cup would easily see us past 50...not to mention that we have a dozen or more internationals who may well be used in World Cup qual.games / friendlies / Africa Cup.

No-one ever thinks seriously about injuries when they "lobby" for their best 11, but s**t happens and now it's here ...although we have 5 recognised full backs ...six now with McQueen.....four of them are out injured.

A pre-season look at our "strike force" was Austin, Long, Jay Rod and Redmond. These are not bad players they just have bad luck.

We can all see the outcome so far..and just to prove it ...last week someone published stats. showing that we had the lowest conversion rate (shots / goals) in the entire Prem.

If we continue to use the same players over and over again..they will implode. Virgil has played in 12 of our 13 fixtures - so far plus a couple of sorties with the Dutch team..and we still have two more fixtures before the end of October.

Yes he does a very good job for us ....but he took a nasty knock on Sunday, which he seemed to run off... but we can do without him getting injured, and you can bet he won't be one of those "getting a rest " in the next international break.

Squad rotation has to be the answer and few can say that anyone who's played so far this season has had a really bad game.

Yes we've had a few poor results (partly due to poor shooting - as above) and partly due to some "indifferent refereeing", but few people can claim we've played badly - even in those games that we've lost.

Squad rotation maybe the new team tactic to succeed....I noted that there has been quite a few changes in the MU sides during the last few weeks, as Mourinho desperately tries to find a winning formula and other clubs currently in the top 6 have done the same.

The one positive thing to come out of this is that we have found a couple of new prospects in McQueen and Hesketh....who we may see more of later on....especially if we still have another 40+ games to play this season.

Edited by david in sweden