Nice read

doddisalegend

Interesting that they describe Romeu as 'briefly brilliant' at Chelsea. I don't remember seeing him play, but I did a search to see if I could find any Chelsea reaction to when we signed him and there are quite a few comments about them making a mistake (by keeping Mikel instead) and how he's going to be a top player for us in a few years time.

"The new man has looked in the back of the cupboards and in the door of the fridge and made something ridiculously tasty from pretty unappetising ingredients when other managers might have picked up the phone to order a takeaway." :lol:

Interesting that they describe Romeu as 'briefly brilliant' at Chelsea. I don't remember seeing him play, but I did a search to see if I could find any Chelsea reaction to when we signed him and there are quite a few comments about them making a mistake (by keeping Mikel instead) and how he's going to be a top player for us in a few years time.

He was doing very well for them and had been a regular starter under AVB. Then got a bad knee injury which really hampered his career for a couple of seasons.

Yep. He looked a really good prospect when he first joined Chelsea. I was quite frustrated with Koeman last season tbh. Didn't seem to want to give him the run of games he needed.

If one of the purposes of this article was claim that Martin Samuel is a plonker then I say well played 365, well played. How dare we not appoint O'Neill instead of Puel.

I enjoyed reading this. The 2016 points table was an eye-opener.

they have an even better dig at Samuel here

http://www.football365.com/news/f365s-top-ten-things-we-all-got-wrong

Definitely not related to The Times being sued by Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe in 2005 over one of his columns, the Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel wrote a scathing piece in September 2014 on Southampton under Ronald Koeman.

‘The problem is Koeman has made it look a breeze,’ Samuel wrote. ‘Successfully riding the sale of so many players at once is an unusual achievement; that was why the predictions for Southampton this season were gloomy. If the board thinks it can get away with it year on year, there is an inevitable conclusion. One player too many.’

Fresh from not learning his lesson, Samuel then laid into Southampton again for the appointment of Claude Puel this summer: ‘How can Claude Puel be a better bet for Southampton than Michael O’Neill after failing to win Ligue 1 with Lyon?’ was what I’m contractually obliged to call a hot take.

Samuel was obviously (or at least hopefully) writing with wilful bias, but nobody truly expected Southampton to act out their same play for the third year running to quite the same effect. There they are again, two points off the top six and with the Premier League’s second-best defence.

Oh, and Sarah Winterburn has written something great on them that you should read. I don’t want to be hit with a shoe either.

they have an even better dig at Samuel here

http://www.football365.com/news/f365s-top-ten-things-we-all-got-wrong

Definitely not related to The Times being sued by Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe in 2005 over one of his columns, the Daily Mail’s Martin Samuel wrote a scathing piece in September 2014 on Southampton under Ronald Koeman.

‘The problem is Koeman has made it look a breeze,’ Samuel wrote. ‘Successfully riding the sale of so many players at once is an unusual achievement; that was why the predictions for Southampton this season were gloomy. If the board thinks it can get away with it year on year, there is an inevitable conclusion. One player too many.’

Fresh from not learning his lesson, Samuel then laid into Southampton again for the appointment of Claude Puel this summer: ‘How can Claude Puel be a better bet for Southampton than Michael O’Neill after failing to win Ligue 1 with Lyon?’ was what I’m contractually obliged to call a hot take.

Samuel was obviously (or at least hopefully) writing with wilful bias, but nobody truly expected Southampton to act out their same play for the third year running to quite the same effect. There they are again, two points off the top six and with the Premier League’s second-best defence.

Oh, and Sarah Winterburn has written something great on them that you should read. I don’t want to be hit with a shoe either.

Hmmm thanks so now he looks like a plonker with a grudge. I must start visiting 365 more often.

On a completely unrelated note, it has been many years since I last used the word plonker in a conversation. I may try introducing it to Canadians. See how they like it. Previous efforts to expose them to rhyming slang resulted only in confusion.

Hmmm thanks so now he looks like a plonker with a grudge. I must start visiting 365 more often.

On a completely unrelated note, it has been many years since I last used the word plonker in a conversation. I may try introducing it to Canadians. See how they like it. Previous efforts to expose them to rhyming slang resulted only in confusion.

I enjoy throwing about the term "w*n*e*" with great abandon; not too many here have any idea what it means. Calling male friends "mate", however, can lead to a few raised eyebrows.