Complacency

tajjuk

So I was watching the build up to the West Ham game and they were talking to Bilic, he was saying how in the summer after they had done so well last year and got the new stadium etc that all the press were talking about them targeting champions league etc. He reckoned that this naturally allowed some complacency to sneak into their players, second season, they'd done so well, similar players, etc.

This got me thinking that our lack of stability, or at least our changing of manager and players has at least one benefit, there is no real opportunity for complacency.

New players put pressure on the existing players to perform, a new manager doesn't know them so they have prove themselves to him, they can't rest on their laurels or just think 'I did well last year so I can cruise a bit'.

Everyone gets basically a clean sheet and has to earn their chances, so I think you see that with the young players, they probably lacked confidence under Koeman because he seemed negative about the academy players and the likes of McQueen probably thought they'd never get a chance. But now, new manager, new ideas, clean slate and chance to impress and I think we are seeing the results, several players have made obvious improvements already this season. Not just the fringe youngsters but the likes of Romeu, JWP, Austin etc.

I've never replied to one of your posts before but you really should give it a break and "support" another team.

We played OK, some players had an off day but we were beaten by a better team, a team that's had multi millions spent on it with huge wages. Their fan singing "we've won it all" when they should be singing "we've bought it all"

Haven't they just beaten Man U 4-0. Well done Saints, we can't win them all.

Our complacency comes at a higher level.

Les Reed thinks he has the Midas touch with signings so doesnt care who he sells each summer or just how big a task he sets the incumbent manager to sustain our progress

If we stay up... job done. There will only be questions asked if we get relegated. Our ambition is simply to remain in the Premier League, anything else is just a pretence.

So sweet all the negative posters come out today. Hard ons all round we lost a game

In fairness the same posters said the same all summer

We seem more interest in a healthy bank balance than actually winning a trophy

For a guy that likes to bulster the bank balance Old Les certainly wasted money on that BIG/new trophy cabinet

So sweet all the negative posters come out today. Hard ons all round we lost a game

Just like all the Über-Fans giving it their "the results dont matter, we play beautifully" / " what do you expect when they can spend 100s of millions, we are little Southampton" / "You're a negative bedwetting tw*t" standard responses.

Discussion on here between individuals with opposing views is simply impossible nowadays.

Just like all the Über-Fans giving it their "the results dont matter, we play beautifully" / " what do you expect when they can spend 100s of millions, we are little Southampton" / "You're a negative bedwetting tw*t" standard responses.

Discussion on here between individuals with opposing views is simply impossible nowadays.

I hope after Brexit FM is right and we have a limit on non EU players, we would benefit from this as we play with 3-4 English players each week at least and have 2-3 on the bench, we may then be able to compete a bit better with the top clubs and then we will have much less arguments about money and holding onto the best players.

Les Reed thinks he has the Midas touch with signings so doesnt care who he sells each summer or just how big a task he sets the incumbent manager to sustain our progress

I think he bloody has. Promotion, promotion 14th,8th,7th and 6th. Is he not judged on results ?

Not at all. It's the reasoning, rational, knee jerk reactions and most of all understanding of what we've actually achieved that is totally missed by people like you on this forum.

Les Reed has done a good job... every year, because every year we take a step forward, and I don't know about you but moving into the next round of the EL (which we will) is progression.

We're not likely to improve our league standing this year, primarily because last year was a massive wake up call to the mega wealthy clubs.

They're the ones that became complacent, not us!!!

Funny how you only ever slither out for a "discussion" after a defeat and disappear off the face of the earth whenever the club is on a good run.

Let's remember you have been consistently wrong about everything related to Southampton Football Club for season after season after season after season, so spare us "the discussion is impossible nowadays" poor-lickle-me routine, like you're some misunderstood genius shouted down by the mob.

And being that every year, every, single, year, you perform your traditional reverse ferret of "yeah, well it's easy to say that with hindsight", pathetically disowning your own "discussion" points of the previous six months, it's hardly surprising you don't get much traction for your discussions is it? We all know you'll be proven wrong in no time. We all know you're wrong over and over and over again.

And don't dismiss people with opposing views to yours as "uberfans". Clearly, patently, they aren't that.

They're just people is all.

People that aren't calorie addicted fat cretin trolls so pumped up with caramel, nougat and milk chocolate that they can't resisted typing ill-informed bile about a football team they've actually seen play about twice in fifteen years.

Discussion is so awfully difficult these days isn't it?

If we stay up... job done. There will only be questions asked if we get relegated. Our ambition is simply to remain in the Premier League, anything else is just a pretence.

In fairness the same posters said the same all summer

We seem more interest in a healthy bank balance than actually winning a trophy

For a guy that likes to bulster the bank balance Old Les certainly wasted money on that BIG/new trophy cabinet

A flock of ****s.

Funny how you only ever slither out for a "discussion" after a defeat and disappear off the face of the earth whenever the club is on a good run.

This is the irritating part. The doom and gloom would be just about bearable if it was tempered with the odd bit of praise for a job well done. The fact that it never is makes Alpine look like a pantomime villain. Same with Glasgow, except his technique seems to centre around reviving old threads each time we lose, which thankfully isn't very often at the moment.

Though you can't give Bilic credit for spotting the problem 10 games in - it's his job to ward off complacency. Competition for places helps, and we've done well there.

True, but he said as much as himself, he said something like there is a collective guilt (him and the players) but ultimately the responsibility lies with him as it's his job to make the players play the best.

I don't like West Ham at all these days but have a lot of respect for Bilic, seems very switched on, was the best pundit ITV had during the Euros (though that isn't saying much).

I mean the other thing is we won't have the West Ham situation because generally the media will right us off as soon as they see the sales so there is no hype for our players to buy into.

I think the only player who might have been guilty of some complacency this season is Fonte, believed his own hype too much after the Euro win, then the links to Man Utd etc, but I think the reality of the premier league and him making a few mistakes when he wasn't 100% switched on have reminded him it was hard work that got him where he is.

As soon as I saw the word Bilic i just can help but think of his terrible hair transplant.

Seems like a top bloke though

As soon as I see the word 'Bilic' I remember back to the 1998 World Cup semi-final where his despicable histrionics and play-acting got Laurent Blanc sent off and caused him to miss the biggest game that any player could play in, the World Cup final.

And Bilic is supposedly an intelligent man, a qualified lawyer. His actions that day were of a low-life cheat and I will never forget it.

Are you being serious or just joking around? We're not Sunderland. Look at our team and compare it to the bottom half. How can the signings of Boufal, PEH, Redmond be equal to ambition of only staying up? What would you do different? Sign Hazard and Ibrahimovic? Force Mane to stay?

Don't be so negative, cheer up and start enjoying the games instead..

Are you being serious or just joking around? We're not Sunderland. Look at our team and compare it to the bottom half. How can the signings of Boufal, PEH, Redmond be equal to ambition of only staying up? What would you do different? Sign Hazard and Ibrahimovic? Force Mane to stay?

he'll enjoy you replying more than anything

He is not negative just a cretinous troll but as you can see he is not alone..