Saints v Chelsea Match Thread

St Chalet

Was offside - we've just played a team who are way more clinical. Couple of £60-80m players will do that.

More than clinical - they're just better and almost always outsmart us. If we'd taken our chances ruthlessly we'd still be losing 2-1.

Edited by DuncanRG

LOL. No I mean, we were getting ahead of ourselves. Too much back slapping by the team and coaches. No worries, reset and get another run going.

Puel: We've done okay lately but we're still a bit ****

Redmond: Don't fancy our chances, to be honest

Martina: We don't do throw-ins in Curacao

Chelsea are an expensively-assembled team that is on a tear right now. The better team won so I can't complain. We made far too many defensive mistakes today and Chelsea took advantage of two of them. Martina, Davies and Clasie all had poor games. We had some really good spells of possession particularly in the first half but I can only think of two half-chances involving headed misses by Austin.

The shame is that Chelsea went forwards over the summer and we have gone backwards due to complacency

How come you waited until after today's game to post that observation, rather than, say, last week after our 1-1 away to Man City? Yours, curiously....

(bite_count = bite_count + 1)

Edited by trousers

I thought Chelsea played really well. They outplayed us in the midfield and that was the difference. I can't blame the defense for either goal really. I though VVD, Fontes, and Austin all played well. Redmond was pretty invisible. Too bad on Austin's goal, could have easily not be called offsides. However again, this match was won by Chelsea not lost by us.

Can I just say that Chelsea weren't clinical today - if they were it would have been four, maybe five, and they definitely should have scored from the Moses rebound. We didn't get the chance to prove whether we were clinical or not as Austin's header was our only good chance.

Ho-hum. We don't usually let Chelsea defeats get us down so let's hope we're back at it on Thursday.

However again, this match was won by Chelsea not lost by us.

Fair way of putting it, though we played into their hands with the early mistake.

The shame is that Chelsea went forwards over the summer and we have gone backwards due to complacency

It could be argued that we have only gone backwards because of our success in spotting, buying, and developing world class players year in year out. Name me one other club that has progressed at the same rate that we have over the last 7 - 8 years.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Alpine in overreaction horror.

Yes Chelsea always "go forwards" they have a mountain of money to spend and world-class players - some that can't even get in their match day squad.

Can you explain how we are supposed to compete with that on a long-term basis? - Simply put we can't and although Leicester had a stunning season last season, it will be very much a "flash in the pan" as the top sides quickly regain their foothold on the PL and we will battle it out to be the best of the rest.

I don't know why we tamper our expectations so high, Europa League is the best we can hope for barring a miracle, we are a very good side but we have to be exceptional to beat sides like Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Tottenham etc - today we just weren't.

Jamie Redknapp (Sky Sports): "Chelsea beat a very good Southampton side"

I appreciate the sentiment behind posting this but Redknapp's wisdom has been dubious today. He referred to Moses, a 25 y/o Nigerian, as "young English talent" and said the following when asked pre-match how we might trouble Chelsea: Southampton play so narrow, and the Chelsea back three won't want to be dragged out wide. Figure that one out!

I agree with this a more clinical Chelsea side could have put 4 in, I'm thinking particularly of the first half giveaway by Clasie and Forster's second half calamity, which should have been punished for a goal. Romeu bailed him out eventually.

Edited by Saint Albert
I agreed with the wrong quote. I am obviously a numpty.