Saints vs Inter Milan - Build Up

Lighthouse

This is going to be controversial but a club of our stature should not have to resort to having the likes of Olomola on the bench for a tie of such magnitude. Nothing against him, he is a young lad learning his trade, but we should have thought bigger during the window taking into consideration the two a week games and the fact there were lots of internationals this autumn. By January when the window opens our chance could have gone. Our bench today exposed our lack of ambition in the market last summer!

This is going to be controversial but a club of our stature should not have to resort to having the likes of Olomola on the bench for a tie of such magnitude. Nothing against him, he is a young lad learning his trade, but we should have thought bigger during the window taking into consideration the two a week games and the fact there were lots of internationals this autumn. By January when the window opens our chance could have gone. Our bench today exposed our lack of ambition in the market last summer!

Not controversial in the slightest, although I hope it doesn't take the thread off on a tangent. Biggest cause of regret is not reinforcing our options up front, as many posted on here that neither Long nor Rodriguez could be relied upon as regular goalscorers, even IF they are fit.

Not sure what the attacking options are for Thursday, Austin, Austin, and perhaps Austin.

Doesn't take them long does it? A result goes against us and where is the ambition blah blah blah

Yes I am excited. Losing today against a very good Chelsea could help us if we learn how to overcome a solid wall of mobile defenders. Perhaps we need someone to be braver in attacking fullbacks quicker before they double up. Perhaps we need play more digaonal balls.Inter are not in the same class as Chelsea but I bet they adopt the same tactics.Perhaps trhgis is the game for Boufal to repeat his magic as he did against Sunderland.Perhaps this is when us fans raise the roof and intimaadte the s..t out of the opposition. Cmon you Saints

Do you also wish we'd signed a third-choice left-back so that we never had to resort to playing McQueen?

Spot on!

Not sure the club could have anticipated both JRod and Long being out at the same time . With Austin and Redmond that is four strikers. Is it not reasonable to lean on the youth thereafter?

I don't think the four incumbents of the striker role, or any addition, would be happy rotating even more than we do at the moment.

Not sure the club could have anticipated both JRod and Long being out at the same time . With Austin and Redmond that is four strikers. Is it not reasonable to lean on the youth thereafter?

I don't think the four incumbents of the striker role, or any addition, would be happy rotating even more than we do at the moment.

Still don't see Austin and Redmond as good as mane and Pelle.

You realise we have injuries right? The whole point of a club of our stature is we give youngsters a chance when the opportunity rises. Would love to know who you would go and sign who'd happily sit around all season not on the bench if everyone was fit.

Also from the man who would literally be jizzing himself silly if it were Gallagher on the bench, that's quite a post.

There were grounds for realistic concern over the fitness of both Austin and Rodriguez.

You've be posting this continuously since the window so I doubt you're suddenly going to listen to people now but...

We've signed players to replace everyone who left from last season and then we had a squad designed to withstand a European campaign. We signed Austin in January, which to some people seems like getting your Xmas presents a week early, then on Xmas day complaining that you didn't get any.

We have Austin, Redmond, J Rod, Long, Tadic and Boufal. That's 6 players for 3 forward positions, which is the right amount. Nobody decent is going to come here knowing they won't even make the bench, unless 2 forwards are injured. If that happens, the youth players are going to be needed to cover.

Rather bizarre you are now coming out and saying the club shouldn't be giving a chance to young strikers that have come up through the academy.

That's your position on this matter now, is it?

- We play a system with 3 attacking players.

- We have 6 first team attacking players... Austin, Boufal, Long, Rodriguez, Tadic & Redmond.

That is 2 players per position (a ratio most managers ask for), if we had any more it would be bloating the squad and leave a number not even in the matchday 18, plus block the pathway for Olomola, Hesketh, Gallagher etc etc.

How many senior attacking players do you think Saints should have?

Got to play our best team for this one.

Forster

Martina Fonte VVD Bertrand

Romeu Hojberg

Boufal Tadic Redmond

Austin

If we are serious about getting out of the group we must win this one and In turn hurt Inter's chances of progressing

Agree with you on this starting XI.....As strong as we've got and in fairness, we should never have lost the away leg...will take a win by any score as it should be enough to get us through.

This may be harder than the away game if they sit back. We absolutely must get a result though. If Sparta win, then a draw would be ok if we can beer Beer Sheva. Hoping for a strong team; it doesn't look like Claude will have much choice other than to go with Austin. Think we may see Boufal start too. Going to go for a 1-1 draw, but a win would be a massive step towards qualification. 9/2 for an Inter win at St Marys - never thought I'd see those odds!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Got to play our best team for this one.

Forster

Martina Fonte VVD Bertrand

Romeu Hojberg

Boufal Tadic Redmond

Austin

If we are serious about getting out of the group we must win this one and In turn hurt Inter's chances of progressing

I agree with that line up, plus hopefully we'll have Long available on the bench.

Massive game for us as a club, sold out night game against a European giant just hope our fans can produce an atmosphere to match.

I watched Sampdoria 1v 0 Inter last night, they were given a tough run out chasing the game for the whole 2nd half, first goal really is crucial. De Boer remains under a lot of pressure, 5 league defeats already this season.

Any idea how many Inter are bringing over? I doubt they'll have more than 500.

Rather bizarre you are now coming out and saying the club shouldn't be giving a chance to young strikers that have come up through the academy.

That's your position on this matter now, is it?

In normal times if they are good enough I would be fine but I see a really good chance of progressing in Europe floundering because our squad is too thin. Yes we have been unlucky with injuries, but the fact we have so many international call ups has been another factor to be considered. I know I talk with the benefit of hindsight but we gambled on Jay Rod staying fit and now we have been exposed to the extent we have had a complete rookie on the bench at the San Siro and again yesterday.

Take the point no one decent would have come to act as fifth cover but with Seagar a long term injury and Gallagher going on loan it would have been prudent to have got someone like Lambert in on a years contract is all I am saying.

Sounds like I'm moaning and blaming Puel, I'm not, he has done a fine job but perhaps his lack of in depth knowledge of the personal at SMS has cost us.

Take the point no one decent would have come to act as fifth cover but with Seagar a long term injury and Gallagher going on loan it would have been prudent to have got someone like Lambert in on a years contract is all I am saying.

I have never seen a more Sunderland suggestion in my life.

I have never seen a more Sunderland suggestion in my life.

Nothing says ambition like signing a Championship standard haggard old veteran striker entirely to warm the bench just in case of simultaneous injury to four of our front line attackers.

Personally I'd like to see puel try Bertrand at right back and McQueen left back, other than that keep the team the same as others have said.

I've personally never rated Martina but at the moment he looks shot from all the games and needs a break.

As far as I'm concerned this and the league cup should be our top priorities this season. Let's be honest we're not going down and unlikely to qualify for Europe in the league so let's make a proper go of these two competitions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've be posting this continuously since the window so I doubt you're suddenly going to listen to people now but...

We've signed players to replace everyone who left from last season and then we had a squad designed to withstand a European campaign. We signed Austin in January, which to some people seems like getting your Xmas presents a week early, then on Xmas day complaining that you didn't get any.

We have Austin, Redmond, J Rod, Long, Tadic and Boufal. That's 6 players for 3 forward positions, which is the right amount. Nobody decent is going to come here knowing they won't even make the bench, unless 2 forwards are injured. If that happens, the youth players are going to be needed to cover.

Remind us again. How many of these 6 forwards are prolific goalscorers!

lets just hope the whole stadium get behind the lads for a change

an atmosphere like we had against mk dons in the jpt would make this one hell of a night

goona be hard to beat inter,even though they r playing poorly in serie a,another loss last night to sampdoria,first half they were poor but upped it in the second half and icardi should have buried his header

r chance to get pay back for the unlucky defeat at the san siro,otherwise it could be hard to get out the group

COYS

Martina is probably running on empty with the amount of ground he (usually) covers and the amount of games he's played recently. It wasnt long ago that he was very good in the last Europa home game vs Sparta Prague. Not sure what's up with Cedric, but obviously the sooner he's back the better for rotation and keeping players fresh, however I personally dont think there's too much between them. Cedric probably a bit better all round, but Martina has had some great games.

I think Ward-Prowse is almost certainty to start and looks like Yoshida is the choice for Europa games too.

I assume Brozovic will be suspended for this game? If so, he is a large gap for them to fill especially as Joao Mario is not in the squad.

Likely start for Hojberg I would think, and Boufal is bound to get some game time too... I really hope we are up for this. A win should send us on our way towards the last 32.

Remind us again. How many of these 6 forwards are prolific goalscorers!

Austin is capable of 15, all the others 10 if they have a decent season.

The alternative being to sign experienced pros to not even make the bench unless 2 strikers have simultaneous injuries.

Dutch and Italian media reporting De Boer could be on his way out after a string of poor results. Its likely Inter have a caretaker or new manager this Thursday (possible new manager syndrom alert).

Double-edged sword, new manager syndrome or if FDB is still in charge he'll desperately need wins to save his job in which case Inter will be putting out their strongest 11. Hopefully the confidence hasn't taken too big a knock after yesterday.

Academy manager in charge Thursday.

Still loving the Lambert suggestion. Struggling to get in our team when he left 2 years ago, hardly got into the Liverpool or West Brom team since. Now at Cardiff but yeah perfect for Inter Milan on Thursday :D

He made 39 appearances in his final season for us.

He made 39 appearances in his final season for us.

This is true although it was largely down to the c*ntiness off Osvaldo, rather than Lambert looking amazing. The second half of the season he was off the pace, looked lethargic and most of his goals came from set pieces. A lot of people thought we were mugged off with £4m but personally I was pretty happy that we'd offloaded a player who was past his shelf life.

No way CHDAJFU now.