Chapel Kop

Nordic Saint

Interesting post from the UI. Can anything be done to support the players?

The Chapel Kop 09:30 - Oct 31 with 168 views franniesTache

So I found out something interesting yesterday, apparently the players (led by two of our most senior players) are seriously ****ed off with the lack of noise from the Chapel and desperately want something done about it.

That's straight from the horses mouth's too, they feel it has an impact on the team and think it's embarrassing how silent it is, and have even made internal suggestions to the club about how they think it could be improved (including the club looking into Leicester style "clappers").

Have to say what i found most interesting about it is that at least one of these players (one of the most senior in our squad) said that the lack of atmosphere from the Chapel is a real cause for concern for a lot of the squad and something that actively annoys them.

Tadic is quite often trying to pump the crowd up so wouldn't be surprised if he gets annoyed at the lack of a response.

I've always said, if the club actively made an effort to turn the chapel into the home end, i'd move down there no doubt. All it'd take is a letter or email to every northam/itchen north season ticket holder to carry out a survey and see if enough people would do the same.

Clearly bo*locks. I went on the Chapel Kop for to the Burnley game and they sucked the ball into the net 3 times, Boufal was so inspired by the wall of sound cascading of the Kop he scored his wonder goal against Sunderland. We score a lot of goals and keep a lot of clean sheets in front of the Chapel Kop. Coincidence?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spion_Kop_(stadiums)

It seems Wiki disagrees with the players as well, read the history section.

Interesting post from the UI. Can anything be done to support the players?

The Chapel Kop 09:30 - Oct 31 with 168 views franniesTache

So I found out something interesting yesterday, apparently the players (led by two of our most senior players) are seriously ****ed off with the lack of noise from the Chapel and desperately want something done about it.

That's straight from the horses mouth's too, they feel it has an impact on the team and think it's embarrassing how silent it is, and have even made internal suggestions to the club about how they think it could be improved (including the club looking into Leicester style "clappers").

Have to say what i found most interesting about it is that at least one of these players (one of the most senior in our squad) said that the lack of atmosphere from the Chapel is a real cause for concern for a lot of the squad and something that actively annoys them.

Key words in bold...

I think it is the style of football we are playing tbh. Dont get me wrong, I am not knocking the manager or players as it is obvious that something is working, but this slow build up play, sideways and square passing, back to the keeper possession play can sometimes be a bit of a yawn to watch.

Oddly enough Romeu seems to get the crowd buzzing more with his fearless old fashioned English full blooded style of play, but other than that we do tend to keep possession by tip tapping the ball without actually much penatration which can imo sometimes lead to a dull spectacle unless someone like Boufal can turn on the magic as he did against Sunderland, that turned the volume up.

So we swap the singers and the chapel enders around how's that make any difference the away fans now get a free ride and the Northam is silent when the players kick towards it.

The truth is different people like to do different things at the football we are never going to have 30k saints fans singing OWTS in unison for 90 minutes no matter what the club does.

Why is everyone surprised that it was quiet yesterday. Loads of day trippers, football tourists and Chelsea supporters, added to which the Chapel contains the Family Stand. There are so many "empty" parts of the stand due to exits and other things, unlike the Northam, it will never be loud unless it is redesigned and reconstructed. There is usually more noise there (I sit in the Itchen) than the Northamers give credit for, but agree yesterday was quiet. Whole ground was quiet yesterday (apart from the Chelsea supporters - the ones in the Northam), apart from one rendition of OWTS and a couple of usual crappy Pompey songs our Northam Kop really don't have much to crow about. Crowd react to the game, after Chelsea went ahead so early we never really looked like scoring and most of the crowd just sit on their hands waiting for the 80th minute before they can go home (and miss our best few minutes).

Endless songs about Pompey and using the same tunes over and over again has taken its toll on how much respect the Norffam gets. Ole ole ole ole Boufal was the best for Boufal we could come up with? Victor Anichebe's song from Sunderland fans (Karma Chameleon) was funny I thought, particularly as he's a ****ing useless lump but has his own song.

As for the OP about players and the noise, I'd imagine that's total ******** and have no intention of believing it as true.

Embaressing stand, many people want to sing but are too shy to start it.

By time the Northam songs come around the opportunity has gone to join in.

I suggest the players should wear a t-shirt with the words...

'Sing up you grumpy bastards.'

Maybe they should try breathalysers at the turnstiles. Anyone passing should be sent back down the pub and not come back till they fail.

Everyone knows the only things that get crowds excited are:

1) Scoring a goal

2) Winning a corner

3) A crunching challenge

4) Playing the ball to a wide player in space

Stoppage time being announced too.

Snipers on the stadium roof taking out anyone in fancy dress, half and half scarves or people playing games on their phones.

Anyone bringing a sharing size bag of crisps and a pot of hummus should get an automatic lifetime ban. People with a job which is considered as higher than working class forced to down half a bottle of whiskey at the turnstile and sign a contract that demands they add to the atmosphere, even by clapping along.

Dennis Rofe back at half time to wind up the away fans and implore the Northam to "suck the ball into the net"

If the singing mecca that is the Northam came up with some new songs rather than OWTS and WIWJALB on loop then the rest of the ground may decide to join in.

Trouble is you cannot force people to sing. I know loads of die hard fans who travel home and away and do not feel the need to sing.

Rather sad when people feel the need to force fans to support their team in a particular way.

As for the team being p!ssed off with the lack of support from the Chapel. Perhaps it is their job to get the fans going by playing exciting football !!

Been in the Chapel a couple of times. Never again..... Actually got abuse from one guy for shouting! Wtf, this is a blinking football match! I would of thought they would be better watching at home in peace and quiet. I suppose they come to the ground for the atmosphere ironically!

The club should do what other English clubs have done for European games and put flags on the seats in the Chapel against Inter. It might get them involved a bit. If nothing else it will increase the noise levels as all the miserable old gits will be moaning "get those ******** flags out the way". Win win.

I am in my 60s now and sit in the Chapel, back in the day I stood on the Milton (there is a good number of us) hence my username and avatar back then the variety of songs were much better than they are today, some might not be very PC by today's standards. Let's look at what we have have today, a number of player chants, a couple of anti Pompey songs and OWTS. When you hear the variety of songs from some of the visiting supporters makes our efforts embarrassing at times.

I am in my 60s now and sit in the Chapel, back in the day I stood on the Milton (there is a good number of us) hence my username and avatar back then the variety of songs were much better than they are today, some might not be very PC by today's standards. Let's look at what we have have today, a number of player chants, a couple of anti Pompey songs and OWTS. When you hear the variety of songs from some of the visiting supporters makes our efforts embarrassing at times.

We're of a similar age Toomer (you've got a handful of years on me tho' Grandad ;) but...) so we're from the same sort of era. I understand the Chapel is never going to turn into some hotbed of chanting but just more noise would be good.

What happened to a good old fashioned blood-curdling roar when the home team piles forward. Everyone just seems to hold their breath these days. I witnessed the Saints defence melt many times up north in the 70s when those crowds got up a head of steam. C'mon, bring back the 'roar'!

Post some of those great old songs on here and see if they catch on.

The Chapel stand is awful, its almost as if singing or shouting encouragement in there is banned. I remember sitting there for Pompey at home in the Championship singing loudly and overheard the bloke next to me tut and say it's not normally like this in here. It's a shame as just a bit of noise from that stand would make a real difference, hopefully for Inter at home that will be the case.

The Chelsea fans were noisy but the majority of their noise was just chanting Chelseeeeaaaa over and over again or singing about Super Frankie Lampard endlessly. There wasn't really much variety they were just good at keeping it going.

There is very little song variety from any of the away fans that come to SMS these days most teams have one special song chant and then just sing they same crap as everyone.....is there a fire drill is? Being the ****est most unoriginal of the lot.

Been in the Chapel a couple of times. Never again..... Actually got abuse from one guy for shouting! Wtf, this is a blinking football match! I would of thought they would be better watching at home in peace and quiet. I suppose they come to the ground for the atmosphere ironically!

It was probably the bol loxs you post on here so understandable :D

to be honest, even in the Northam the singing has got a lot worse over the past 5 years. Every song sung as fast as possible. The fact that Spurs sing our song better than us says it all really. If we could slow it down it would also give other stands a chance to join in.

I've been saying for a while that our support is sh*te, home and away. Take reasonable numbers but the fact 95% of our fan base is only willing to sing OWTS, gets tedious.

I do think this would be a good idea though. As much as I hate them, it'd be good to have something similar to the scousers (obviously with a better atmosphere), with banners / flags pre match.

I personally wouldn't move from Block 1, but it'd be good to have block 1 and the Chapel creating atmosphere rather than all down one end of the stadium - I'm not convinced that the away fans can hear the Northam anyway, so don't see why they would have to be located next to them.

I like singing. I sing in all sorts of places. Sometimes I've even been paid for it. Very occasionally, I may join in with OWTS if (a) the team is playing well and (b) I've had more than my normal amount to drink. But, mostly, I go to SMS to watch football, clap and cheer when appropriate and boo Dejan Lovren. There are no circumstances in which I could see myself singing about fetching my father's gun.

When I was in my teens watching from Milton or under West Stand I sang and chanted, but that was 40 years or so ago. My dad had an East Stand season ticket, he and most of those in the seats hardly ever seemed to sing or chant, stamping their feet on the wooden floors was about as animated as it got. Double those numbers of singers and non-singers into St Mary's and you can see why there are quiet areas. It's just the way it is, always has been and probably always will be.

I find it funny how many on here simply either refuse to acknowledge it's true and bury their heads in the sand (hint it is true), blame another area of the ground/group of fans entirely, or say "i'm not joining in with that because of x reason".

What i don't see is people going, "yeah actually it is a bit sh*t, what we should do is start our own songs so we don't have to join in with the ones we don't like".

Mind you it often seems that way that we have some sanctimonious *****s in our support that would rather slag off others than do something about it, and lets not lie it's absolutely true.

I find it funny how many on here simply either refuse to acknowledge it's true and bury their heads in the sand (hint it is true), blame another area of the ground/group of fans entirely, or say "i'm not joining in with that because of x reason".

What i don't see is people going, "yeah actually it is a bit sh*t, what we should do is start our own songs so we don't have to join in with the ones we don't like".

Mind you it often seems that way that we have some sanctimonious *****s in our support that would rather slag off others than do something about it, and lets not lie it's absolutely true.

You've just hit the nail on the head.

That's ridiculous. If you're going to get abuse, it shouldn't be for shouting at a football match, it should be for writing "would of" instead of "would have".

I've been to the majority of PL grounds and SMS isn't anywhere near the worst for atmosphere. Not even bottom half. We are louder and have more songs than most.

Probably says more about other fans than ours though.

The atmosphere would be much better if we just moved the away fans to one side and took the whole northam.

As for Leicester. Clappers? Goal music? Poznan? No thanks.

Our songs are generally poor, or about pompey (cant understand singing songs about pompey unless they are there to hear it).

Our 'home end' has more away fans than home fans in it.

Unless those two things change, which is unlikey, the atmosphere will always be a bit sh!t at St. Mary's.

I also think we should be shooting towards the northam end in the second half.

The club should do what other English clubs have done for European games and put flags on the seats in the Chapel against Inter. It might get them involved a bit. If nothing else it will increase the noise levels as all the miserable old gits will be moaning "get those ******** flags out the way". Win win.

That would cost the club money so I can't see it happening. The Kingsland Stand would have been opened and staffed for the Sunderland game if the club was prepared to spend money like that on improving the atmosphere. That empty stand resulted in one of the worst atmospheres I've ever seen at St Mary's for a game with a 20,000+ crowd.

One way or another we need an end full of home fans, with the central block directly behind the goal singing constantly and the rest joining in on occasion. The problem right now is that our home singers are split into 2 small groups in the corners of the away end, who don't sing together because they can't even hear each other, so they are easily outsung by a large group of away fans, who are not divided.

That would cost the club money so I can't see it happening. The Kingsland Stand would have been opened and staffed for the Sunderland game if the club was prepared to spend money like that on improving the atmosphere. That empty stand resulted in one of the worst atmospheres I've ever seen at St Mary's for a game with a 20,000+ crowd.

One way or another we need an end full of home fans, with the central block directly behind the goal singing constantly and the rest joining in on occasion. The problem right now is that our home singers are split into 2 small groups in the corners of the away end, who don't sing together because they can't even hear each other, so they are easily outsung by a large group of away fans, who are not divided.

Do the Northam even bother to sing anymore? To my ear it's the Kingsland North that get all of our singing going these days.

It isn't just our problem it's across the country. The combination of the removal of terracing, everything being offensive and soccer AM creating a new generation of fan that wants to engage in #banter and is more interested in trying to be crazy or a comedian that create an intimidation atmosphere is to blame. The atmosphere in the premier league barring a handful of grounds is in the main horrendous. You've only got to look at old footage to see the difference when a goal is scored for example. The terraces would explode, these days its just polite applause. We do seem to have more than our share of cretins only capable of singing songs that involve clapping like a coked up seal or wackiness like fancy dress or putting items of confectionary on peoples heads but it's a countrywide epidemic I'm afraid.

The idea that saints fans are in some way worse than other PL fans is pretty erroneous. Like I said the Chelsea fans spent half the game against us singing about Frank Lampard I can imagine the reaction on here if we spent half the game singing the Rickie Lambert song. The Chelsea fans were loud but their songs where worse than ours.

Every set of away fans at sms bring the same old tired **** when it comes to songs.