Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

This all seems like bad news. More Blackburn, Pompey and Cardiff than Chelsea and Man City.

If it ends as well as Cardiff we'd be lucky with debt set to be leveraged onto SFC, Blackburn are a better model of what could happen. Would be a tragic end to the Liebherr era, let's hope PL FAPP finally shows teeth. Pigs might fly though!

More likely that the intermediators are away on holiday why things are quiet.

Also I wonder if they have to borrow more cash is due to the value of the club increasing each time an extension happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely that the intermediators are away on holiday why things are quiet.

Also I wonder if they have to borrow more cash is due to the value of the club increasing each time an extension happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It increases every time that VVD increases in value.

The report in The Times is a bit more speculative than the note on not 606 implies. The report says the investigation is about the split in the number of days spent in Switzerland and Germany not being as reported to the German authorities. Depending on the outcome of this investigation the estate may have to pay more tax, and if it does it may have a knock on effect on the sale of the club if Katrina has to sell the club for a knock-down price to pay the tax bill.

Lots of assumptions in the article, no facts.

The Times article:

German tax inquiry could force sale of Southampton

exclusive

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent

June 7 2017, 12:01am,

The Times

A large tax bill would increase the pressure on Liebherr to sell Southampton

RICHARD POHLE/THE TIMES

Katharina Liebherr, the Southampton owner, has become embroiled in an investigation by the German tax authorities which could increase the pressure on her to sell the club. The Times has learnt that the public prosecutor’s office is investigating the tax liability of her late father, Markus Liebherr, who bequeathed Southampton to Katharina after his death in 2010 along with several other companies forming part of Mali Holdings.

The German authorities are investigating whether they are entitled to levy taxes against the beneficiaries of Markus Liebherr’s estate after receiving allegations that he spent more time in Germany than was previously realised. The German-born Swiss industrialist claimed Zurich was his main residence, but he also had property in Germany.

Authorities in Germany often focus on high-profile cases in the belief that the resulting publicity leads to a higher tax yield from ordinary citizens. Uli Hoeness, the former Germany forward and current Bayern Munich president, was sentenced to three and a half years in prison for tax fraud in 2014 in a case which reportedly led to 26,000 Germans opting to disclose unpaid taxes.

(cont.)

The Liebherr investigation is understood to be focused on all those who received payouts from his estate and there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by his daughter but, as she was the biggest beneficiary, any retrospective tax bill would potentially have significant implications for Southampton. The club, with a valuation of £200 million, is Liebherr’s biggest asset in a portfolio worth an estimated £300 million and a large tax bill would increase the pressure on her to sell.

Liebherr has been seeking new investment in the club for more than a year and negotiations over a proposed £190 million sale to the Lander Sports Development are continuing, although the Premier League has expressed concerns about allegations of corruption in China against the owner, Gao Jisheng.

Depending on the result of the German investigation, Liebherr may be forced to consider selling for a knockdown price. Southampton declined to comment last night.

Selling the club for a knockdown price would be bad for Katerina, but possibly good for the club i.e. any potential investor would have more money to invest in the team/ stadium etc.

Fair point, although I guess it could have the effect of attracting 'less rich' investors too.

The report in The Times is a bit more speculative than the note on not 606 implies. The report says the investigation is about the split in the number of days spent in Switzerland and Germany not being as reported to the German authorities. Depending on the outcome of this investigation the estate may have to pay more tax, and if it does it may have a knock on effect on the sale of the club if Katrina has to sell the club for a knock-down price to pay the tax bill.

Lots of assumptions in the article, no facts.

Seems a bit speculative to me.

Obviously depends on German Law , but can a case be brought six years after someone dies ? Bearing in mind Marcus is no longer with us I'd have thought there would be some difficulty in presenting "evidence" when he's not around to answer the allegations against him?

And if the estate has been passed on, can the tax duty be passed to others, especially if they are not resident in Germany ?

Business as usual, Kat.

Fair point, although I guess it could have the effect of attracting 'less rich' investors too.

As we are/were pretty close to selling to Lander, I don't really see that much will change.

I'm hoping that this may attract an investor who was potentially put off by the price (which I guess would be a concern in itself...).

Edited by SKD

That's a pretty big loss of value in a short period, wasn't Katharina placed in the top five of the richest premier league club owners only a year ago? Also wasn't the Mali group valued at £2 billion only a few years ago? I also doubt that Markus would have left his businesses to Kat if he didn't have faith in her ability to keep them running and flourishing, if things have gone that pear shaped in only six years then it's one hell of a job of mismanagement!

That's a pretty big loss of value in a short period, wasn't Katharina placed in the top five of the richest premier league club owners only a year ago? Also wasn't the Mali group valued at £2 billion only a few years ago? I also doubt that Markus would have left his businesses to Kat if he didn't have faith in her ability to keep them running and flourishing, if things have gone that pear shaped in only six years then it's one hell of a job of mismanagement!

or rather she was never worth that?

or rather she was never worth that?

As I have always maintained. The "press" valuation given to M Liebherr was just an extrapolation of the value of the other branch of the Liebherr family. It's like the old "Send reinforcements, we're gong to advance" becoming "Send 3 and 4 pence we're going to a dance" joke.

Liebherr is worth Billions, she is not. Her own personal portfolio is a lot less. Been saying it for years.

No idea, no detail in yet. Just a breaking strap from sky news. Probably something about making it easier for the big clubs to carry on spending and getting bought by whoever.

Lol. If Lander really are dodge, this might be doing us a favour.

Interesting that it was a unanimous vote- stating the bleeding obvious it means we voted for a change which would effectively prevent our proposed investment going ahead. Unless the deal was done prior to the rule change being implemented.

The Premier League were unable to block Gao / Lander's ownership bid because he was not convicted of a crime, so they are amending their rules to expand the list of disqualifying events for future ownership bids.

I'm a little worried that Lander were able to sneak past the PL gates before they were closed.