Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

This.

The word 'invest' is overused and largely misunderstood by a lot of people. Think of it from your point of view - if you invest, what do you want back? In short, all investors want more out than they originally put in. Not many clubs have owner who are willing (or able for that matter) to bank roll them, they have to balance the books. We are lucking in that we have found prudent and competent owners who run and manage the club properly.

I get that and I am a very big fan of how the Liebherrs have ran the club; they've stayed in the background, only comment when absolutely needed, and let people get on with their jobs without interference.

However, it is clear that to push on we need fresh investment. No-one buys a football club to make money (the only way to become rich from it is by being very rich in the first place) but we do need another body to put money in, attract new sponsors and potentially open up new markets (the USA and South-east asia seem to be the ones with serious growth).

When you look at the Arnautovic deal for a £25m fee and £26m contract, and realise that's a sixth of KL's rumoured value on the whole, then it becomes more obvious. The football club now is one of KL's biggest assets and perhaps she doesn't have the wealth readily available to fund the next step; hence why she's looking herself to find someone who does.

I do however have big reservations over Lander; if they're struggling to buy the club or raise the funds needed, then are they likely to have the funds needed in future? I'm not so sure.

I get that and I am a very big fan of how the Liebherrs have ran the club; they've stayed in the background, only comment when absolutely needed, and let people get on with their jobs without interference.

However, it is clear that to push on we need fresh investment. No-one buys a football club to make money (the only way to become rich from it is by being very rich in the first place) but we do need another body to put money in, attract new sponsors and potentially open up new markets (the USA and South-east asia seem to be the ones with serious growth).

When you look at the Arnautovic deal for a £25m fee and £26m contract, and realise that's a sixth of KL's rumoured value on the whole, then it becomes more obvious. The football club now is one of KL's biggest assets and perhaps she doesn't have the wealth readily available to fund the next step; hence why she's looking herself to find someone who does.

I do however have big reservations over Lander; if they're struggling to buy the club or raise the funds needed, then are they likely to have the funds needed in future? I'm not so sure.

But you're still not talking about investment in any understood meaning of the word. You're talking about a sugar daddy (or sugar corporation) who would put money into buying players with no realistic prospect of ever seeing that money again. They would do this just for the pleasure of seeing Saints break into the top six, or maybe even the top four.

Why would anybody do that given it would cost many, many millions of pounds to buy the sort of superstar players required and to pay their over-inflated wages week after week? And if you did find someone, and FFP allowed them to make that "investment", what happens when they get tired of losing all that money or some other misfortune forces them to pull out? We're not going to generate the income required from attendances, mechandising and TV to cover that. You're left with a club with players on unaffordable wages and I think we all know how that ends.

The only way an owner could 'invest' in a club for players is commercial revenue, Liebherr invested a wack of money on staplewood as thats not part of FFP and she has slowly been getting it back.

It really isn't that simple. How do you think Chelsea manage their loss year after year after year ? Owners can inject cash up to 30 million a season now providing they have a "break even plan" for the future (tomorrow is always tomorrow right !). Player purchases can now be budgeted over the length of the contract and future commercial revenue and player sale increases taken into account to "balance" it all out. At the end of the day big clubs lose a packet every season and their owners make it up, or promise to do so one way or another. When your owner has no money you are doomed to increasing mediocrity until you fall out of the trap at whatever level you've fixed it.. Saints need more readies, isn't that the reason that KL gave for seeking further investment, ie a sale to a not so well known Chinese entity?

Read the Swiss Ramble, complex but you'll see some stuff you'd not really believe possible.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Would you class a Monkey Chicken Petting Zoo has stadium or training ground redevelopment?

will it be built in the harbour underwater? If yes, then its a fully blown stadium, otherwise its just a training ground...

Where does all this "push on" nonsense come from? We won't be pushing on. Ever. We are already competing at the top of the "best of the rest" level and we'll never move into the top six. It requires hundreds of millions.

I'm happy where we are. Sure it needs continuing investment to stay where we are, but in reality that means carrying on largely as we are, with owners (whoever they are) not taking money out of the club.

However, it is clear that to push on we need fresh investment...to fund the next step;

you mean its clear we need an owner willing to saddle us with greater debt...to get us to 7th place ion a regular basis?

Where does all this "push on" nonsense come from? We won't be pushing on. Ever. We are already competing at the top of the "best of the rest" level and we'll never move into the top six. It requires hundreds of millions.

I'm happy where we are. Sure it needs continuing investment to stay where we are, but in reality that means carrying on largely as we are, with owners (whoever they are) not taking money out of the club.

I think "push on" in this context means competing with our peer group at the least and maybe have the occasional foray to Europe or Wembley. People see that the teams around us are spending cash on players and we aren't.

The window has some way to go and we have a track record at coming out of it in good shape. Don't see why this year should be any different.

we've just gone through a golden period in our history. I don't see that we need to push on, I see us needing to desperately try and replicate some of that again.

We need to find real youth talent again and again and again. We need to acquire the best player in the Dutch or Scottish league and find that international class defender stuck in Athletico's reserves. More scouting, more watching games, more work behind the scenes to find talent. We need a little more power, steel and single minded ruthlessness (not cloggers, just win at all costs type) in combination with real skill merchants in the final third. We have become a little second best in places and slightly devoid of real top notch ball playing. Maybe we need to cut our losses on one or two players that have not set the world on fire, and fill that squad with more talent. At the moment we only seem to buy when a gap opens up in the squad. It's not simple or cheap to move players on that you don't want, but that's how we can make progression. Upgrading rather than settling for what we have and what has come through. If Targett doesn't become one of the best left backs in the next couple of years, move him on. Let's not keep him because its cheaper, lets look to upgrade.

It's all about finding and nurturing the right players. The talent is everything not the spend. Yes we will need to fork out, but £150m a season is a fair amount to play with.

None of this requires a sugar daddy, it just requires great scouting and a burning desire from our management and staff to find and sign up the right players. They key therefore for me is can the current owner and her management team continue to drive this. It starts from the top. there must be a desire.

Edited by Chez

But you're still not talking about investment in any understood meaning of the word. You're talking about a sugar daddy (or sugar corporation) who would put money into buying players with no realistic prospect of ever seeing that money again. They would do this just for the pleasure of seeing Saints break into the top six, or maybe even the top four.

Why would anybody do that given it would cost many, many millions of pounds to buy the sort of superstar players required and to pay their over-inflated wages week after week? And if you did find someone, and FFP allowed them to make that "investment", what happens when they get tired of losing all that money or some other misfortune forces them to pull out? We're not going to generate the income required from attendances, mechandising and TV to cover that. You're left with a club with players on unaffordable wages and I think we all know how that ends.

But no football club owner goes into it making money. I'm not saying we need a huge change, but it is clear KL feels she cannot push us on any further realistically. Finding an investor who can put money into the club and open up markets could help us do that.

I'm very happy with the club where we are, and didn't say I was not happy. But if the club is talking of qualifying for the Champions League in the near future, say in 5/10 years, then we need to find someone who can help us financially.

Again the word `investment' keeps being used. But what does that mean to you? What are you expecting from the next owner - to give us cash that they never want back?

I agree the word 'investment' was the wrong word to use. It's just a word that football fans the world over bandy around, when what they really mean is to get the owner or someone to chuck money down a bottomless pit. I think I used this word as way of an explanation to people, who have been wondering why our supposedly billionaire owner has not been forthcoming with money to spend on team strengthening. Not that I necessarily agree with chucking money around, with no tangible return. For what it is worth I see Man City have already spent £219m( I have not used the word investment) this window, with Chelsea threatening to match them, where does this leave FFP?

Just as well Leicester had Ranieri at the helm and an owner who did believe. They did it without hundreds of millions but with a positive attitude.

Pellegrino's first team talk on your logic would be galvanising - yeah boys, we're never going to make top six so stop dreaming about that rubbish, top half is good enough....

Should invigorate new signings and existing players alike...

Just as well Leicester had Ranieri at the helm and an owner who did believe. They did it without hundreds of millions but with a positive attitude.

Pellegrino's first team talk on your logic would be galvanising - yeah boys, we're never going to make top six so stop dreaming about that rubbish, top half is good enough....

They had a freak combination of factors all falling into place for them. If I was putting money on it, they wont make the top 6 again for another 10 years.

His team talk will largely along the line of we can win this game, which we can. What we can't do is compete with clubs like Man Utd, spending £170m on 2 players over a full year.

All of the top 6 (and Everton) have European football. The last time that was the case, two of them slipped up. At least one of them will do so again, guaranteed. Liverpool again? Arsenal with Europa League? Spurs playing at Wembley, effectively a neutral venue?

All of the top 6 (and Everton) have European football. The last time that was the case, two of them slipped up. At least one of them will do so again, guaranteed. Liverpool again? Arsenal with Europa League? Spurs playing at Wembley, effectively a neutral venue?

Are we the best of the rest though?

Is Leicester a top 6 club?

No apparently Everton are one of the big 7 now and 8th makes you the best of the rest. Next season after the big 14 we will be the best of the rest again.

Let's hope we don't become the best of the rest after all the Premier League teams. If we do, there will still be posters claiming we can't possibly afford to compete with them. :x

Let's hope we don't become the best of the rest after all the Premier League teams. If we do, there will still be posters claiming we can't possibly afford to compete with them. :x

And no matter how we do there will be posters looking for something to beat the club up over.

we've just gone through a golden period in our history. I don't see that we need to push on, I see us needing to desperately try and replicate some of that again.

We need to find real youth talent again and again and again. We need to acquire the best player in the Dutch or Scottish league and find that international class defender stuck in Athletico's reserves. More scouting, more watching games, more work behind the scenes to find talent. We need a little more power, steel and single minded ruthlessness (not cloggers, just win at all costs type) in combination with real skill merchants in the final third. We have become a little second best in places and slightly devoid of real top notch ball playing. Maybe we need to cut our losses on one or two players that have not set the world on fire, and fill that squad with more talent. At the moment we only seem to buy when a gap opens up in the squad. It's not simple or cheap to move players on that you don't want, but that's how we can make progression. Upgrading rather than settling for what we have and what has come through. If Targett doesn't become one of the best left backs in the next couple of years, move him on. Let's not keep him because its cheaper, lets look to upgrade.

It's all about finding and nurturing the right players. The talent is everything not the spend. Yes we will need to fork out, but £150m a season is a fair amount to play with.

None of this requires a sugar daddy, it just requires great scouting and a burning desire from our management and staff to find and sign up the right players. They key therefore for me is can the current owner and her management team continue to drive this. It starts from the top. there must be a desire.

This has been a golden period in our history but this is also a golden post. Struggling to find a sentence or statement that I don't wholeheartedly agree with and speaks for my views as a fan. One of the best I've seen on here over the years.

Great sentiment. But the club will continue to sell any talent if they're any good.

If you added stop selling the club to potential signings as a stepping-stone I would wholeheartedly agree.

Great sentiment. But the club will continue to sell any talent if they're any good.

If you added stop selling the club to potential signings as a stepping-stone I would wholeheartedly agree.

but we aren't at the top of the football pyramid, so we are effectively a stepping stone to a player aiming to reach the top of the pyramid. Anyone thinking otherwise has their head in the sand.

Or, are you saying that when we recruit, we shouldn't be saying to the player that `if he does well for us for a few years and then get an offer from Man U we wont stand in their way'? Are we giving that line to players now? Does that help us get better players? Did we manage to sign Wanyama and VVD because we said exactly that? If we hadnt said it would they have gone elsewhere to a club that did?

I notice that Rogers revealed that he had said exactly that to Moussa Dembélé. Come here, play well for two seasons and then the floor is yours son.

How you retain talent is very difficult. Perhaps things have gone too far and players now don't think a side will stick together, so they will always jump at a move. Perhaps only a new owner and management team that make the players believe that things have now changed and that the club really is looking to keep a team together (like Spurs are trying) and will pay what it takes to do so. However, can that even be done without taking on greater debt.

Edited by Chez

Interesting point of view but also disingenuous. Think you might be on your own with that idea.
Not alone. I rank Pearson as the best motivator of players we've had. Adkins and Poch close, yes, but he had a passion that saved us from relegation before he was ridiculously sacked.

But you can't manage a top PL team on passion alone. What he does do is generate a great team spirit, which possibly was the basis of Leicester's success. He did it with us, but the Dutch duo killed it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

but we aren't at the top of the football pyramid, so we are effectively a stepping stone to a player aiming to reach the top of the pyramid. Anyone thinking otherwise has their head in the sand.

Or, are you saying that when we recruit, we shouldn't be saying to the player that `if he does well for us for a few years and then get an offer from Man U we wont stand in their way'? Are we giving that line to players now? Does that help us get better players? Did we manage to sign Wanyama and VVD because we said exactly that? If we hadnt said it would they have gone elsewhere to a club that did?

I notice that Rogers revealed that he had said exactly that to Moussa Dembélé. Come here, play well for two seasons and then the floor is yours son.

How you retain talent is very difficult. Perhaps things have gone too far and players now don't think a side will stick together, so they will always jump at a move. Perhaps only a new owner and management team that make the players believe that things have now changed and that the club really is looking to keep a team together (like Spurs are trying) and will pay what it takes to do so. However, can that even be done without taking on greater debt.

Of course you're right. I'm saying that maybe we should sign a few established players, and wring the last few decent years they have left. Lawrie was a master of that, mixing them up with a conveyor belt of young talent who learnt so mch from the experienced pros.

I get the impression that we buy players as commodities, with the end game always to be to sell them on for a handsome profit.

I get the impression that we buy players as commodities, with the end game always to be to sell them on for a handsome profit.

I agree. Business first, Trophies second, but I guess in this day and age and with the amount of money involved that is essential. Regarding buying old heads, I am not sure you can get away with it as much as you could. I still think Jimmy Case was one of our best signings, but wonder if he would have had enough in his legs to be effective at the same age in the current game? Putting to one side that hes a total ****, would you have taken John Terry for example?

Returning to the ownership, I still think the most important aspect is leadership. I was not a Nik Nak fan, but whatever he said and did always made me believe that even though we were not the biggest club, we saw ourselves becoming one and we would be doing everything in our power to be one. If that meant giving players big contracts to ensure they didn't get their heads turned, he would do that. Whether that would have worked when Lallana got the chance to go to Liverpool I don't know, but the current leadership has to reignite that feeling that the group really are going places together and to leave now would be tantamount to treason...

I agree. Business first, Trophies second, but I guess in this day and age and with the amount of money involved that is essential. Regarding buying old heads, I am not sure you can get away with it as much as you could. I still think Jimmy Case was one of our best signings, but wonder if he would have had enough in his legs to be effective at the same age in the current game? Putting to one side that hes a total ****, would you have taken John Terry for example?

Returning to the ownership, I still think the most important aspect is leadership. I was not a Nik Nak fan, but whatever he said and did always made me believe that even though we were not the biggest club, we saw ourselves becoming one and we would be doing everything in our power to be one. If that meant giving players big contracts to ensure they didn't get their heads turned, he would do that. Whether that would have worked when Lallana got the chance to go to Liverpool I don't know, but the current leadership has to reignite that feeling that the group really are going places together and to leave now would be tantamount to treason...

There were special circumstances around his transfer but a few more players like Steve Davis wouldn't go amiss. We were never going to make money on him; but he's offered us 5 solid seasons and valuable experience.

There were special circumstances around his transfer but a few more players like Steve Davis wouldn't go amiss. We were never going to make money on him; but he's offered us 5 solid seasons and valuable experience.

Exactly where I'm coming from. 1 or 2 Jonny Evans/Davis type signings.

I agree with this. One thing Saints have always had to a degree was a soft underbelly which is where winners like Keegan and Shilton coming in made a huge difference. I would have liked a Roy Keane figure here just for his drive (as well as his under-rated ability to be a one man midfield at times) to instill that into people. I think to some degree VVD has it, and Clasie actually should as well, and I think with our younger players a lot of that would rub off on them so they go out there with that attitude that you describe. I think that's why Poch has done so well, as much as his pressing and the fitness he instills. I would have taken Terry because he is first and foremost a defender and I think that that would help (among others) Stephens who would then, I hope, iron out that slight lack of attention or whatever it is that affects his positional play. That and using his left foot more and we could have someone like Mark Wright on our hands. While it was good that we had Koeman for a while, when players have to look him up to know how good he was it slightly detracts from his 'wow factor' that someone more current e.g. Terry still has. It's the only reason Gerrard got a job, isn't it?

So yes, I'd like a couple of old heads with a couple of 2-3 year deals to be able to play but also to be able to teach things that aren't necessarily coached, but passed on through experience learned.

Can't agree that the club buys players with the intention of selling them on. Every club has to work within the system as it is, which has allowed a small number of wealthy clubs to operate at a different level to the rest. Financial Fair Play, which might have been intended to level the playing field has entrenched the position of the wealthy few because it requires income from player sales and profit from commercial activities for a club to spend on wages or in the transfer market. Southampton has used one route to overcome the limitation on what it can spend by investing in the Academy to produce home grown players. As we've seen, some hold a place in the first team and others are sold which provides money to strengthen the squad from outside.

A few players are sold because the club wants to sell them; that may be due to players such as JRod this year, who aren't likely to achieve or hold a first team place. A few are sold just for the profit when the income is so high as to allow the squad to be improved despite the loss of the player. Others are sold because the player is of such quality that he believes he can earn more by moving to one of the wealthy elite clubs and lets Southampton know that he will not extend his contract here. In those cases a judgement has to be made about when to let such a player go for a good fee or see his value drop to zero at the end of his final year. That doesn't make Southampton a 'selling club' but is simply sensible management of the situation we are in. Had the club refused to sell Mane for £34m we could have had two more seasons out of him but he would be leaving next May for nothing. If players were only bought to sell at a profit, VVD, who cost £13m would now be with Liverpool and Southampton would be some £50m better off. Instead we still hold his registration, through until 2022, and it is entirely in the clubs hands whether they let him go, if and when an offer is made that is too good to refuse. Another 3 years out of VVD is perfectly feasible.

Board changes and potential new ownership, or part-ownership, suggest the club is seeking a way of moving forward towards the elite group. Owners can no longer pump money into a club in the way that raised Chelsea and Man City to their current level; clubs must try to increase their turnover through commercial income. If investment from China, or anywhere else, enables the club to earn more revenue internationally, then, as the turnover increases, more can be spent on the team. If this works here, it will be to the fans' benefit if the club becomes more successful.

At the moment we are a top-ten Premier League club but not one that has been there for very long. We need to became safely established where we are, or better, in order to make the Southampton brand more widely attractive. The Virgin Media sponsorship already looks like a step forward with our club featuring in a TV advert. Only when the turnover rises, will £30m or more become the level at which we buy players instead of when we sell them, but also, if we can compete for trophies and in the Champions' League, players won't be so easily tempted to leave. We should be following this investment interest closely and keeping our fingers crossed that the board, and Katherina, can make the right deal.

Edited by Professor

Can't agree that the club buys players with the intention of selling them on. Every club has to work within the system as it is, which has allowed a small number of wealthy clubs to operate at a different level to the rest. Financial Fair Play, which might have been intended to level the playing field has entrenched the position of the wealthy few because it requires income from player sales and profit from commercial activities for a club to spend on wages or in the transfer market. Southampton has used one route to overcome the limitation on what it can spend by investing in the Academy to produce home grown players. As we've seen, some hold a place in the first team and others are sold which provides money to strengthen the squad from outside.

A few players are sold because the club wants to sell them; that may be due to players such as JRod this year, who aren't likely to achieve or hold a first team place. A few are sold just for the profit when the income is so high as to allow the squad to be improved despite the loss of the player. Others are sold because the player is of such quality that he believes he can earn more by moving to one of the wealthy elite clubs and lets Southampton know that he will not extend his contract here. In those cases a judgement has to be made about when to let such a player go for a good fee or see his value drop to zero at the end of his final year. That doesn't make Southampton a 'selling club' but is simply sensible management of the situation we are in. Had the club refused to sell Mane for £34m we could have had two more seasons out of him but he would be leaving next May for nothing. If players were only bought to sell at a profit, VVD, who cost £13m would now be with Liverpool and Southampton would be some £50m better off. Instead we still hold his registration, through until 2022, and it is entirely in the clubs hands whether they let him go, if and when an offer is made that is too good to refuse. Another 3 years out of VVD is perfectly feasible.

Board changes and potential new ownership, or part-ownership, suggest the club is seeking a way of moving forward towards the elite group. Owners can no longer pump money into a club in the way that raised Chelsea and Man City to their current level; clubs must try to increase their turnover through commercial income. If investment from China, or anywhere else, enables the club to earn more revenue internationally, then, as the turnover increases, more can be spent on the team. If this works here, it will be to the fans' benefit if the club becomes more successful.

At the moment we are a top-ten Premier League club but not one that has been there for very long. We need to became safely established where we are, or better, in order to make the Southampton brand more widely attractive. The Virgin Media sponsorship already looks like a step forward with our club featuring in a TV advert. Only when the turnover rises, will £30m or more become the level at which we buy players instead of when we sell them, but also, if we can compete for trophies and in the Champions' League, players won't be so easily tempted to leave. We should be following this investment interest closely and keeping our fingers crossed that the board, and Katherina, can make the right deal.

The trouble is, aren't we jeopardizing being safely established if everything is put on hold because the club is up for sale ie strengthening the squad.

Having a sleepless night for various reasons.

The above article by Jeremy Wilson can be regarded as the club's official position on VVD, the takeover and transfer activity.

He obviously has the inside track on SFC affairs and is probably used for "authorised" leaks.

We should take this article seriously, as opposed to random comments by so called ITK's

It does not say that VVD will definitely not go but the club's intention is clear.

Having a sleepless night for various reasons.

The above article by Jeremy Wilson can be regarded as the club's official position on VVD, the takeover and transfer activity.

He obviously has the inside track on SFC affairs and is probably used for "authorised" leaks.

We should take this article seriously, as opposed to random comments by so called ITK's

It does not say that VVD will definitely not go but the club's intention is clear.

Good spot it wasnt on the one yesterday.

The trouble is, aren't we jeopardizing being safely established if everything is put on hold because the club is up for sale ie strengthening the squad.

Unfortunately this may be a problem but perhaps there is no good time to do this. The comment in the Telegraph article does indicate that the Lander investment could have stalled although it might be for reasons outside control of Lander or the club. If this deal falls though I suppose the club would start again to find suitable investors given that this does seem to be the chosen strategy.

Chinese company Lander Holdings risk missing chance to buy controlling stake in #saintsfc - @SamWallaceTel

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/30/chinese-company-lander-holdings-risk-missing-chance-buy-controlling/

I won't shed a tear if this deal falls through. Still, I was worried that Lander were simply too broke to finalize the transaction so the article is a little more encouraging on that front.