• Romeu
    • Hoijberg
    • JWP
    • JRod
    • Redmond
    • Tadic
    • Austin
    • Davis

Probably the most nervous I've been at a saints game for ages , just watching the game back now with a cider and sore throat! Although we didn't play bad over all I think we didn't really look like scoring until Austin came on , Martina needs a rest! Can't really fault anything else apart from our slow build up at times !?

For me, this evening created a wonderful football memory.

I was there to watch Southampton beat Internazionale Milan.

Fairly and squarely.

We were better than them at the San Siro and we were better than them again this evening. We deserved to win tonight and most pleasing was the entire team's energy in the second half to prove their superiority by putting the ball in the net.

Over time I will forget the missed penalty, the potential red card, the fouls on VVD from every corner, the time wasting Italians, followed by the time-hurrying-up Italians, but I will remember the joy the of the equaliser and the delight of an OG from the short-arsed, lairy git that was playing full back for Inter.

Tonight MY team beat Inter Milan.

I'm chuffed to nuts, and I reckon when I wake up in the morning my first thought will be, "we beat Inter Milan". And I'll smile some more.

Enjoy the ride, I know I am.

Cracking night. Atmosphere best all season, singing all around the ground. Stuck a few quid on saints to win when 1 nil down as looked the better team, I'm assuming the wrist slitters at half time weren't there. We are a good team. Semi finals at least beckons. VvD is a beast, best defender I've seen at at st Mary's for a while. Make him captain next season.

Also how dirty are Inter? Disgusting team.

Wow! That was the perfect tonic after the spawny win Inter got off us at theirs (still baffled how we didn't win that).

Even better win after the shenanigans from Inter before the penalty, anyone with half a brain could see what the slimy buggers were up to, that was an Italian masterclass in disruption........and it worked: that said Tadic should be nowhere near the penalty spot ever again when we are awarded one he must have missed far more than he has scored over the time he has been with us.

As has been said already James Ward-Prowse was superb tonight, always showing for the ball, always looking for an effective pass. Romeu plays like he would like to punch someone at any minute, but is dominant in his position, I always thought he was short changed by RK, as a player his education shows through. Hojbjerg was the only weak link in midfield especially second half with his duff powderpuff passing and bloomin passing it backwards repeatedly when there was a forward pass on.

Once again Maya had a cracking game, I will readily hold my hands up and admit I have been a fan of his for a long time, the guy reads he game so well (when he has made a rickett its invariably when he has had a brain fart and over analysed the situation in front of him). Virgil is immense, it's when he decides to go for an amble up field is almost as if he has just gone "Yoshi hold the fort while I show these buggers which way we are playing". Sam McQueen that boy just gets better and better, I just wish he would be a tad more confident when faced with defenders and believe in himself that he can do em with his ability.

i have seen better games at SMS over the years, but this one was a bit special, as regardless of where they are in their league, how much of a pickle they are in with the manager, or the fact they have had to leave out some expensive players (thems the rules) they were the seeded team in our group and tonight Southampton beat the famous, the world over, Inter Milan right before my very eyes................. 6 years ago on the same night we were playing Dagenham & Redbridge in the league: what journey!

Historic result for the club against a European giant.

1st half poor and frustrating from us but credit to Puel for demanding more at halftime. Not a classic performance imo but our drive & persistence paid off when it looked like we would never beat the superb handanovic

Fantastic. It seems like every few weeks we get a new marker for "look how far we've come since -10 in League 1". Deservedy beating Inter at SMS is something we could never have imagined 6/7 years ago.

VVD was immense (again) despite constant manhandling from their defence, he is just SO SO good. I don't think it's hyperbole to say he is one of the best CBs in Europe right now. His consistency is unbelievable.

As others have said, JWP had his best game today. Looks like he can fill that Steven Davis shaped hole that will appear in the not too distant future. He should also be taking pens...

I actually gave MoM to Yoshida, I thought he was so solid today. Think about last season if someone had told you we'd start with a back 4 including McQueen, Yoshida and Martina - we'd be terrified! But Puel has shown such belief in the squad and has been repaid deservedly.

Only negatives for me are the lack of cutting edge up front which is still an issue, and JRod who, sadly, does not look anywhere near the player he was. I personally think we miss Pellé's influence up top - if only we had a striker in a similar mould in top form and scoring regularly at a decent level... Gallagher anyone?

Anyway, brilliant, brilliant night. Had to give up my ticket for work commitments but it was so worth it for all the positive comments from neutrals in the pub I was in in Kent - even from an Everton fan!

The ref absolutely bottled it for the whole game - the behaviour at corners from Inter was unbelievable. How can you fail to blow the whistle when a player is hauled to the ground right in front of you?

One if not two of their players should have been sent off over their behaviour when the penalty was awarded.

However.....

Atmosphere was simply brilliant. I usually sit in the family stand with my son but last night I was in the Kingsland, standing and singing with everyone else. I wish the Chapel end did the same tbh. Although it was great to see most of the ground react to 'Stand up if you love the Saints'

The performance from the team was the kind of performance I would like to see more of, in terms of digging deep and refusing to give in after a dire first half. I have no doubts that the fight back was led by Virgil who simply refused to accept what was going on.

What we saw from Inter was a typical team looking for a 1-0 with minimum effort. It amused the hell out of me to see their time wasting tactics change once we went ahead.

However none of that matters - we beat Inter Milan at home.

Of nights such as these a dreams made

What a result. One for the ages. One to tell the grandkids about. Every single player written into Saints history. Puel got lucky though - wtf was he thinking resting players for Hull City. Absolutely ridiculous management despite the result. Alpine totally justified in his half time comment. And Tadic must never take another penalty. Just so poor from the spot.

Personally i thought Jrod looked ok and don't think he needs to go out on loan. We've got plenty enough games to have need of him.

I don't think Austin sub changed the game it was just coincidental. Getting a slightly scrappy goal from a corner changed the game.

I disagree. Austin in the game makes the defense focus on him because he is always a threat inthe box. This changes the D and opens up space for Redmond/Tadic/etc. He gives us a needed threat on corners, crosses, and really anything in the goalie box. This opens up the channels for Redmond/Tadic to attack from outside in.

I disagree. Austin in the game makes the defense focus on him because he is always a threat inthe box. This changes the D and opens up space for Redmond/Tadic/etc. He gives us a needed threat on corners, crosses, and really anything in the goalie box. This opens up the channels for Redmond/Tadic to attack from outside in.

Sorry Charlie but I don't think you had much impact when you came on last night at least Jrod forced a save out of the keeper.

Fantastic. It seems like every few weeks we get a new marker for "look how far we've come since -10 in League 1". Deservedy beating Inter at SMS is something we could never have imagined 6/7 years ago.

VVD was immense (again) despite constant manhandling from their defence, he is just SO SO good. I don't think it's hyperbole to say he is one of the best CBs in Europe right now. His consistency is unbelievable.

As others have said, JWP had his best game today. Looks like he can fill that Steven Davis shaped hole that will appear in the not too distant future. He should also be taking pens...

I actually gave MoM to Yoshida, I thought he was so solid today. Think about last season if someone had told you we'd start with a back 4 including McQueen, Yoshida and Martina - we'd be terrified! But Puel has shown such belief in the squad and has been repaid deservedly.

Only negatives for me are the lack of cutting edge up front which is still an issue, and JRod who, sadly, does not look anywhere near the player he was. I personally think we miss Pellé's influence up top - if only we had a striker in a similar mould in top form and scoring regularly at a decent level... Gallagher anyone?

Anyway, brilliant, brilliant night. Had to give up my ticket for work commitments but it was so worth it for all the positive comments from neutrals in the pub I was in in Kent - even from an Everton fan!

Totally this. I'm surprised how little love Yoshida is getting he was immense last night so many well timed tackles, blocks and interceptions and strong in the air. VVD gets all the plaudits but I had Yoshida down as my MOM last night.

Missed the whole game and coverage.. been in hospital with the other half after some worries with baby!

Thankfully Mother is well, just a small infection and baby is cooking nicely with nine weeks to go. Had no signal in the hospital, so a great result to cap off a stressful night.

Hey Monk been there myself.

Hope everything us alright with Monk Junior and Mrs Monk.

Wow. What a result. I am absolutely buzzing with that. We didn't make things easy for ourselves but Inter set up to frustrate us. Handanovic is an exceptional keeper. Won them the game in Italy and was very good again last night.

Virgil is the second best CB I've ever seen in a saints shirt and if he keeps it up, he'll nick the number one spot from Toby. He's absolutely dominant and was easily MOTM. Special mention to JWP though, that's one of his best games for us.

Unfortunately Jay seems a mile off the pace atm. He needs to get it together. Shame as there's a very good player in there somewhere.

Anyway, historical result. COYR

What a result. One for the ages. One to tell the grandkids about. Every single player written into Saints history. Puel got lucky though - wtf was he thinking resting players for Hull City. Absolutely ridiculous management despite the result. Alpine totally justified in his half time comment. And Tadic must never take another penalty. Just so poor from the spot.

I agree, fantastic result but I think Puel got lucky. Rodriguez is nowhere near the level needed. If it's game time he needs let him have 90 mins against Crawley in CheckaTrade trophy next week.

Fonte lack of appearance in Europe is strange, fair play to Yoshida he has not less us down.

McQueen find of the season, for me he is ahead of Targett now and I'd be tempted to start him at Hull and allow Bertrand more time to get his fitness back.

The result is all that matters for the history books and gives us a great chance to progress to the knockout stages. Be'ersheva seem to have lost their way after a good start.

Missed the whole game and coverage.. been in hospital with the other half after some worries with baby!

Thankfully Mother is well, just a small infection and baby is cooking nicely with nine weeks to go. Had no signal in the hospital, so a great result to cap off a stressful night.

Puts things into perspective. Glad mum and baby ok.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Epic Night. Little old Saints, who I have supported through thin and thin for 52 years beating the mighty Inter Milan (and outplaying them twice). Hard to define our 'first team' now with this squad rotation but that is how it should be. As others have said, I thought that JWP was outstanding last night with honourable mentions to Maya and of course VVD. JWP's body language was that of someone in control and comfortable in his role. The only downside was the performance of JRod - a shadow of his former self. Lets hope that game time and a few goals restores his self belief.

One further comment - who was the idiot that decided to close the M27 going west (and link to M3) at the Airport junction at the time when the match ended. Why not wait for half an hour until the traffic had dispersed? For those of us with long distances to travel after the game it was not appreciated - and its not the first time it has happened.

For me, this evening created a wonderful football memory.

I was there to watch Southampton beat Internazionale Milan.

Fairly and squarely.

We were better than them at the San Siro and we were better than them again this evening. We deserved to win tonight and most pleasing was the entire team's energy in the second half to prove their superiority by putting the ball in the net.

Over time I will forget the missed penalty, the potential red card, the fouls on VVD from every corner, the time wasting Italians, followed by the time-hurrying-up Italians, but I will remember the joy the of the equaliser and the delight of an OG from the short-arsed, lairy git that was playing full back for Inter.

Tonight MY team beat Inter Milan.

I'm chuffed to nuts, and I reckon when I wake up in the morning my first thought will be, "we beat Inter Milan". And I'll smile some more.

Enjoy the ride, I know I am.

Perfectly summarised my feelings too and I suspect most true Saints fans. The afterglow this morning is still warm !!!

We could have had three penalties when inter player hold onto VVD.

I think JWP was bloody brilliant today, best game I've seen him played. The midfield in general was pretty poor. VVD, god damit what a player!

Good summary.Exactly as I saw it too.

Just got back from the game.

The goal we conceded was unlucky and a great strike. Forster might be a little disappointed, but no doubt it was a great strike and understandable that he didn't keep it out.

Ward-Prowse's positivity on the ball and wanting to get the ball forwards to feet was good to see. Then you get his set pieces. He's a must start for me in important games because of the set pieces.

Van Dijk had a stormer and I felt he could have had at least three penalties. The referee bottled it all game, as did the assistants. The penalty we got looked like it was given for nothing, for what was ball to arm (yet to see a replay). But the aftermath was appalling. The referee failed to control Inter and they delayed the penalty being taken for ages. He should have given them about 3 yellows during the squabbling and red card for the elbow.

I really liked the look of McQueen again. Good performance from him. Yoshida was surprisingly good and positive in possession, I actually thought Yoshida was great today. No one had a bad game, I thought everyone that played had a good game. The stats show quite clearly how dominant we were.

I want to add again... Tadic much more dangerous today when he found himself on the left. I wish that's where he played, rather than the right. Although he shouldn't be taking any penalties for us from now on in my opinion.

EDIT: VVD MOTM. 10/10 from him.

And I almost forgot. Thought VVD was fouled in the build up to their goal

One more thing. I love Fonte and what he's done for us. But it's clear now VVD steps it up another notch when he has the captains armband. I think he's the best CB in the world right now after tonight's performance, the complete CB.

Totally agree, great post except JWP mom for me, great performance. VVD is always good too.

JWP made some cracking efforts on goal that were saved by handanovic

as if he suddenly got a good shot on him

VVD, Forster, Bertrand, Tadic, Austin, Redmond, Romeu are all on form and excellent - it makes room for players like Martina, McQueen, JWP, Clasie and Hojbjerg to show what they are capable of, get experience, knowing that they are in a team with 8 v solid players.

There's room for some bad games for individual players. I hope the same can be true of Reed, Gallagher (eventually) and Gardos..!

I'm one very happy happy Saints fan this morning. Don't mind admitting i was despondent at half time, i thought we were lacking any cutting edge first half. I thought Jrod just didnt look right and i said to my son watch Tadic miss this pen.....why oh why he is allowed to take them is beyond me.

Second half we came out all guns blazing, much quicker tempo, more direct and VVD led the team fantastically. I have always admired JWP and last night i felt vindicated in my defence of this player, he was outstanding.

Again Yoshi has done everything asked of him and played a blinder. I have my suspicions about Fonte not yet starting a Europa game and i think January might be interesting.

Hats off to Puel, the guy has done very little wrong since coming here and has given the whole squad belief in themselves.

What a morning to wake up and be a Saints fan!!

Its a

That was a game of 2 halves if ever there was one.

Thought we were pretty poor first half. We were so slow, lacked energy & a number of players were playing poorly. Jay Rod really struggled, Romeu misplaced more passes in 45 minutes than he has all season, Tadic was as frustrating as ever, worst ive seen Redmond all season, Martina has such poor body position when defending.

On the flip side, VVD, JWP & Yoshi were very good.

Pleased with the win & think we can get even better!

I thought Jrod just didnt look right and i said to my son watch Tadic miss this pen.....

Careful. I said the same but Always SFC seems to think that we're all liars, or something. Hello Always!

Good to wake up this morning and remember a goodish second half and a win rather than a loss to a bunch of cynical players and dodgy ref.

Electric atmosphere last night, and a game I will always remember for a whole host of reasons.. proud to have been there and getting back to Hertfordshire at 1 pm was well worth the drive. I was still buzzing when I got in...

VVD was immense but I thought Yoshi had a superb game, he was calm and collected at all the right times. Cuco looks tired to me which I suppose is to be expected given his game time of late, McQueen gets better and better. I would like to see him give and then go behind the full back a few times like Bertrand does, but that will come.

Romeu excellent, JWP excellent match too and Hojberg although having a few misplaced passes ran the midfield. Redmond was lively all match and Tadic kept his head up well despite his penalty miss. JRod looks like he is carrying some excess timber at the moment, but I'm sure it will come right with some more game time.

A very strong Inter line up on paper but they weren't up to much really with only 2 shots (including the goal) I can recall. We outplayed them and that is something I thought I would ever write.

Loved Claudes celebrations after we scored. That was fist pumping of the highest order.

Well done lads, You delivered!

Not a whinge or anything like that, as I/we've all been supporting Saints long enough to know how it works, but I look at some of the sports pages today.....taking the Mail's football section, the articles go.

Utd, Utd, Utd, Utd, Utd, Arsenal, Zlatan/Utd, Utd, Andy Carroll, Andy Carroll, Simone Zaza, Man City, Yaya Toure, Edwards/Liverpool, SAINTS vs Inter (admittedly 5 articles on the trot)

Careful. I said the same but Always SFC seems to think that we're all liars, or something. Hello Always!

Good to wake up this morning and remember a goodish second half and a win rather than a loss to a bunch of cynical players and dodgy ref.

Morning DT, how`s the hindsight this morning ? ;)