• Romeu
    • Hoijberg
    • JWP
    • JRod
    • Redmond
    • Tadic
    • Austin
    • Davis

Yoshida was really good and has been in the vast majority of games he has played this season.

So much more confident in him stepping in for Fonte when he will inevitably need too now - compared to last season.

Koeman really did isolate players and give them no chance to recover and get better.

Personally i thought Jrod looked ok and don't think he needs to go out on loan. We've got plenty enough games to have need of him.

I don't think Austin sub changed the game it was just coincidental. Getting a slightly scrappy goal from a corner changed the game.

Fair enough, different people different opinions. Personally I didn't think he looked ok and think he (and, hopefully, us) will benefit from going out on loan. Anyway we won so happy days!!

Only got to see the 2nd half, but what a half. Anyone criticizing JWP tonight needs to go lay down and take their mess he was fantastic tonight . VVD was well VVD we will have a job keeping him.Redmond was a constant thorn .Rom just keeps getting better. Again Yoshi starts over Fonte for me this season , I know he's the player most complain about but fact is his performances this season have been way better than Fonte. McQueen is gunning for Bertrand he's already sniped Targett ( who 8 really rate). Pellegrini was my 1st choice to replace Keoman followed by just about everyone else on list over Puel. He looks another step up .Our play at times is breathtaking.

A few on here need to take a long hard look at themselves. Disgraceful to call themselves supporters. Just as well the players didn't throw the towel in and grafted out a famous victory.

I swear some of the trolls are pompey. Take that you ****s, you can stick your crummy draw with AC up your sisters' asses!

First and foremost, proud of the team and of the fans... St Mary's sounded like a proper cauldron. Heart still beating hard....

Something wasn't quite right in the first half, really flat - missing a CAM . Second half was brilliant....

Wouldn't be fair to single out players as this was one for the club - all in together... but VvD is really immense

Brilliant night. Deserved win!

McQueen, JWP and Hojbjerg excellent but Van Dijk the outstanding player by a distance. He is ridiculous.

Should go through now and should go to Prague looking to overhaul them at the top of the group.

Outstanding response after a little bit of a disjointed first half, although we were always the better team throughout the match. (over both matches, to be honest).

Inter played very similar to Chelsea at the weekend, players behind the ball, allow us to play in front of them, but cut of the channels. We needed to be quicker and somewhat more direct, which is how we started the 2nd half. Virgil was unlucky not to have scored just before, as it was a great save from Handanovic - but he got the luck he deserved (and the team). We kept pressing them after that, forcing them into more mistakes and making it a lot more difficult for them through the middle. We took advantage of a fair few loose balls and we totally unsettled them, you could tell.

The 2nd goal was the result of more direct and quicker play, we got down the side and put a terrific ball into the box (Mcqueen I think). But it was very comical defending from Nagatomo, he wouldn't do that again if he tried a million times - I'll take it though!

We closed the game out very professionally, well managed by the team and also Puel with the substitutions which I think changed the game in our favour.

JWP was my MOTM, similar performance to the one he put in at the San Siro - he ran that midfield and used the ball better than anyone else in there. Mcqueen outstanding, he's come from no where and has seemingly jumped ahead of Targett. Hojburg grew into the game, but was very guilty of taking too long over a pass and then mucking it up as Inter had players back. I like to see him in a 'rampaging' midfield role, as I think he's excellent running with the ball.

So, 7 points it is. No idea how the hell Sparta are sat top with 9 after what I saw at St Mary's. Prague will be a very interesting away game.

Cracking win and result, but everything up to 70mins was s**t, atmosphere, performance, energy, creativity from us.

Half decent Inter turn out helped make it a bit of an occasion.

We got away with it, but why the f**k did we rest players for tonight instead of Hull.

A good win and one which will live long. But we need to put things in perspective as Milan were very poor and our first half performance wasn't great. We moved the ball far to slowly and we need someone in our midfield 3 who can take the ball forward and beat a player.Whatever puel said at half time worked and looked much better especially when Austin came on. I do feel that hull will be a tougher game on Sunday but hopefully pretty much full strength for that one. Win the group and see where it leaves us.

Cracking win and result, but everything up to 70mins was s**t, atmosphere, performance, energy, creativity from us.

Half decent Inter turn out helped make it a bit of an occasion.

We got away with it, but why the f**k did we rest players for tonight instead of Hull.

I was working this evening so couldn't be there to comment on the atmosphere. But I got home just after half time and I could clearly hear OWTS in Bitterne Park. And that was before we scored.

What a result, even if the first half was a bit naff.

Positives

JWP

Virgil

Yoshi

Romeu

Negatives

Dominating possession and doing little with it for the first hour

J Rod looks rustier than a 30 year old MG Midget.

A few sloppy moments which almost let them back in.

Tadic's penalty. Dreadful from such a good player.

Thought Yoshi was decent for a change - 2 important clearances and no dodgy back pass!

Virgil was immense, and SM had a decent game again. Romeu was a rock as usual, Hoj did well too.

Sad for Jrod - it just isn't falling for him ATM. Cuco didn't have his best game, nor JWP.

Was worried we'd lose at HT but the dirty cheats got what they deserved...for a change.

Wish Charlie had started, but Penalty excepted Tadic did ok.

Just don't let him take one again?

Ey? MoTM for me...

Just got back from the game.

The goal we conceded was unlucky and a great strike. Forster might be a little disappointed, but no doubt it was a great strike and understandable that he didn't keep it out.

Ward-Prowse's positivity on the ball and wanting to get the ball forwards to feet was good to see. Then you get his set pieces. He's a must start for me in important games because of the set pieces.

Van Dijk had a stormer and I felt he could have had at least three penalties. The referee bottled it all game, as did the assistants. The penalty we got looked like it was given for nothing, for what was ball to arm (yet to see a replay). But the aftermath was appalling. The referee failed to control Inter and they delayed the penalty being taken for ages. He should have given them about 3 yellows during the squabbling and red card for the elbow.

I really liked the look of McQueen again. Good performance from him. Yoshida was surprisingly good and positive in possession, I actually thought Yoshida was great today. No one had a bad game, I thought everyone that played had a good game. The stats show quite clearly how dominant we were.

I want to add again... Tadic much more dangerous today when he found himself on the left. I wish that's where he played, rather than the right. Although he shouldn't be taking any penalties for us from now on in my opinion.

EDIT: VVD MOTM. 10/10 from him.

And I almost forgot. Thought VVD was fouled in the build up to their goal

One more thing. I love Fonte and what he's done for us. But it's clear now VVD steps it up another notch when he has the captains armband. I think he's the best CB in the world right now after tonight's performance, the complete CB.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Just got back from the game.

The goal we conceded was unlucky and a great strike. Forster might be a little disappointed, but no doubt it was a great strike and understandable that he didn't keep it out.

Ward-Prowse's positivity on the ball and wanting to get the ball forwards to feet was good to see. Then you get his set pieces. He's a must start for me in important games because of the set pieces.

Van Dijk had a stormer and I felt he could have had at least three penalties. The referee bottled it all game, as did the assistants. The penalty we got looked like it was given for nothing, for what was ball to arm (yet to see a replay). But the aftermath was appalling. The referee failed to control Inter and they delayed the penalty being taken for ages. He should have given them about 3 yellows during the squabbling and red card for the elbow.

I really liked the look of McQueen again. Good performance from him. Yoshida was surprisingly good and positive in possession, I actually thought Yoshida was great today. No one had a bad game, I thought everyone that played had a good game. The stats show quite clearly how dominant we were.

I want to add again... Tadic much more dangerous today when he found himself on the left. I wish that's where he played, rather than the right. Although he shouldn't be taking any penalties for us from now on in my opinion.

EDIT: VVD MOTM. 10/10 from him.

And I almost forgot. Thought VVD was fouled in the build up to their goal

What a great read that was, refreshing to hear such a balanced account. Thank you!

Missed the whole game and coverage.. been in hospital with the other half after some worries with baby!

Thankfully Mother is well, just a small infection and baby is cooking nicely with nine weeks to go. Had no signal in the hospital, so a great result to cap off a stressful night.

Just back from the game. Makes up (maybe not fully) for not seeing us score in the san siro. A few thoughts on individual players:

- What makes VVD a potential world star is that when the chips are down, he stands tall and does something about it. Whether it's defensively or hauling himself up front to make something happen, tonight isn't the first game he's performed heroics.

- Yoshida is a good defender, it's a shame he is prone to lapses otherwise we'd have a third quality CB.

- I felt McQueen could have been tighter for their goal, but overall he impressed me. Lots of good decision making and sound defending, considering he was a winger until recently (nearly had the best autocorrect oversight ever then when it changed winger to woman).

- JWP my motm simply because VVD always plays well whereas normally I think JwP is poor. Thought he was also good in Milan - always offering support, good range of support and showing a level of tenacity that has been missing for a while.

- Rodriguez has lost it. Austin wasn't particularly amazing when he came on yet his mere presence changed the game for us. Partly credit to him, but also partly because J-Rod is no longer a spritely forward who can terrorise defences.

- I like Hojbjerg, thought he was class at the start of the season, and definitely prefer him to clasie, but tonight he was woeful. How anyone can put him in a bracket with VVd and JwP is beyond me. Yes, he made some purposeful runs at times but he must have made more stray passes than everyone else put together (and that's saying something considering we weren't great tonight!) I'd add the caveat that playing alongside Martina can't be easy, Cuco is always so hesitant in everything he does - must be hard to know whether he's coming or going when trying to play him the ball!

- Tadic wasn't at his best but without him I'm not sure we'd create a chance ever again... Need to get Boufal up to speed asap.

Edited by mrfahaji

A fairly dire first half and we didn't look up for it, with wayward passing and no sense of urgency during some passages of play. Our defending was poor also on occasions and could have been punished had Inter been better. Their goal was not unexpected and was poorly defended. Having won a fairly soft penalty, Tadic's was a very poor effort. Having seen the match highlights just now, the argy bargy between the teams is clarified. Candreva was unsportingly chivvying up the penalty spot, a yellow card offence. McQueen spotted it and remonstrated against him, whereupon Candreva elbowed him. To his great credit, Mcqueen didn't fall to the ground clutching his head like an Italian football would have, but Candreva shouldn't have remained on the pitch.

I suspect that Puel read the team the riot act during the break, because they came out and began playing far more purposely, more competitively, with better passing and quicker movement off the ball. The substitutions were once again spot on from Puel, replacing a largely ineffective Rodriguez with Austin and adding the additional grit and endeavour of Davis. From then on, the match swung strongly in our favour and Inter couldn't live with us and it was only a matter of time before we would score. It was lovely to see MOTM Van Dijk score and intense pressure produced the second with an own goal. From then on, the result was never in doubt.

This was the archetypal game of two halves. When it looked at half time that we would get nothing, it finished with us looking value for more than the two goals. The crowd was great tonight, the refereeing often a joke.

Thankfully walking away from the stadium, it had turned into a night to remember, the first half almost forgotten in the euphoria of a famous victory. Even from several hundred yards away, the stadium was rocking with the chants of the many who had stayed to celebrate.