JWP

Ewell

Showed his class tonight, great work rate, superb delivery from dead balls and also

A couple of decent shots from distance that troubled the keeper! This was a coming of age performance and I fully expect him to kick on and replace the ineffectual Classie as a starter.

Are there still haters after that performance? Surely not!

Showed his class tonight, great work rate, superb delivery from dead balls and also

A couple of decent shots from distance that troubled the keeper! This was a coming of age performance and I fully expect him to kick on and replace the ineffectual Classie as a starter.

One swallow doesn't make a summer he needs to constantly perform like tonight to really impress. He was awful against Sunderland in the cup a week ago. He won't replace Clasie because Puel is rotating the squad a first 11 is now just a thing in the minds of saints fans.

Having said that JWP has improved this season. I think Puels system is helping. Under Koeman JWP had to play as either a holding DM or a 10 style AM neither of which suit him. Now he gets to play as a more traditional central midfielder and it suits him better.

These loons that slag him off have moved on to Forster now.

Forster isn't as good as people make out imo. That's not me saying he's a poor keeper but I do think we could improve in that area.

As for JWP, he was fantastic last night but finding that consistency has always been a problem. Hopefully he kicks on from last night.

I honestly didn't notice him (though I did notice how poor Hojbjerg was) - I'm guessing what happened was the commentators were talking about him a lot.

Definitely improving. Outstanding game last night. Very unlucky not to score I thought.

JWP does get a bit if stick from some on here, but a good run of games would surely see him get a regular spot ...

Last night's performance was his best for a long time...(and he wasn't the only player to miscue with his shot either)....

I honestly didn't notice him (though I did notice how poor Hojbjerg was) - I'm guessing what happened was the commentators were talking about him a lot.

Funnily enough I wondered the opposite - whenever I stream games I find Ward-Prowse to be very frustrating and generally poor. Thought he was good in the San Siro (though should have scored), and last night he was excellent. I thought perhaps he is the sort of player you appreciate more when you see them live!

But it sounds like actually, he just happened to have two good games against Inter. Signs of encouragement though.

He was ok in the first half and "controlled" the game well, but his passing was too cautious to control it in a meaningful way.

In the second half he seemed to make a conscious decision to drive forwards more, both physically himself and with his use of the ball and he worked really hard to tie down the right flank after Davis came on.

It was, overall, probably an 8/10 from him but nothing to go overboard about IMO. If he can produce that level of performance against half-decent Premier League teams regularly, then great!

These loons that slag him off have moved on to Forster now.

Whilst I won't slag the bloke off as i'm happy to have an England international between the sticks again, he is making decisions that are starting to cause caution. Twice against Chelsea he made two routine saves but whilst a good keeper will palm the ball away from danger he pushed it straight back into the box, and luckily we were on hand to clear. He did the same again last night in the second half when he made a good save down to his right but sent the ball spinning back across the face of goal which again came to nothing luckily. He has to take a share of responsibility for their goal too i'm afraid, should never have been beaten at the near post like that, its the kind of error we saw all too often with Kelvin.

Whilst I won't slag the bloke off as i'm happy to have an England international between the sticks again, he is making decisions that are starting to cause caution. Twice against Chelsea he made two routine saves but whilst a good keeper will palm the ball away from danger he pushed it straight back into the box, and luckily we were on hand to clear. He did the same again last night in the second half when he made a good save down to his right but sent the ball spinning back across the face of goal which again came to nothing luckily. He has to take a share of responsibility for their goal too i'm afraid, should never have been beaten at the near post like that, its the kind of error we saw all too often with Kelvin.
i wonder if he has been watching and taking note of the keeping in Forum matches lol...if only I could dig out a certain goal against my team of heroes....................only kidding BP Edited by OldNick

Best performance in a Saints shirt so far. He gets some stick on here but it's so easy to forget that he's only 22. Everyone forgets his age because he became a first team regular at such a young age. Full marks for him last night...Outstanding performance.

Forster isn't as good as people make out imo. That's not me saying he's a poor keeper but I do think we could improve in that area.

As for JWP, he was fantastic last night but finding that consistency has always been a problem. Hopefully he kicks on from last night.

I will keep this very brief.

Agree..

Best performance in a Saints shirt so far. He gets some stick on here but it's so easy to forget that he's only 22. Everyone forgets his age because he became a first team regular at such a young age. Full marks for him last night...Outstanding performance.

Oh please, not the age thing again.... he is not 18 any more. Now is his time to be the finished article...

Not a big fan of JWP, just doesn't do much for me BUT last night he was exceptional, the best game I have ever seen him have in a Southampton shirt.

More performances like that are needed, Blackmore and Merrington were saying similar on Solent at the start of the Sunderland Cup match, but if you are only as good as your last performance then well done, excellent stuff JWP.

Oh please, not the age thing again.... he is not 18 any more. Now is his time to be the finished article...

In central midfield at 22? I don't think so, 25-27 more like.

He needs more consistency but he's clearly had a jump in improvement this season whether that is Puel effect or more competition from the likes of Hojberg who knows.

likewise. Apart from a decent shot, well saved, I saw nothing from him to explain the fawning on here. As previously stated many times, happy to give him plenty of time to fulfil his potential, but don't see a first choice midfielder yet at all.

likewise. Apart from a decent shot, well saved, I saw nothing from him to explain the fawning on here. As previously stated many times, happy to give him plenty of time to fulfil his potential, but don't see a first choice midfielder yet at all.

Was always making himself available for the ball, particularly for McQueen. Was looking for forward passes but also kept possession well. Showed tenacity, put himself about. Defended well and I remember one good clearance he made when under pressure. Generally pretty good deliveries as well, which while I don't think should be used to excuse poor overall play, are unquestionably a good weapon to have when he's in the side.

I'll be the first to say "JWP did nothing, WHAT A SURPRISE!", but he was our best midfielder yesterday.

**** me , I can't believe some of the pony on here . He was ok against a very average side , it certainly wasn't worthy of the hard ons some seem to have . Nowhere near the class of OR or Davo , it seems that by not being shiete is now barnstorming performance . By the same measure , Yoshida is the new John terry because he did put in a fantastic display . JWP did OK , nothing more

He was ok in the first half and "controlled" the game well, but his passing was too cautious to control it in a meaningful way.

In the second half he seemed to make a conscious decision to drive forwards more, both physically himself and with his use of the ball and he worked really hard to tie down the right flank after Davis came on.

It was, overall, probably an 8/10 from him but nothing to go overboard about IMO. If he can produce that level of performance against half-decent Premier League teams regularly, then great!

I agree although plainly you meant to type a "5" and accidentally hit an "8" (otherwise why is 8 ok? Is excellent 5487984466468?)

JWP had one of his best games, but he was not great.

Needs to work on his rugby tackles though, his attempt to stop the Milan player break away near the end was frankly embarrassing.

You wouldn't be saying that had he got away and scored an equaliser!

JWP did ok against Inter, and it was probably his best performance in a Saints shirt. Considering he only played average however, just shows what a disappointment he has been throughout his Saints career. One really mediocre performance draws people to claim he was exceptional. Fair play in trying to protect and big up our youngsters no matter how poor they are though, that's proper support to be fair.

JWP did ok against Inter, and it was probably his best performance in a Saints shirt. Considering he only played average however, just shows what a disappointment he has been throughout his Saints career. One really mediocre performance draws people to claim he was exceptional. Fair play in trying to protect and big up our youngsters no matter how poor they are though, that's proper support to be fair.

My thoughts exactly.

As poor as PEH was in both Milan games,he's shown more in the limited games he's played than JWP has done in 4 years.You can see the makings of a good player. JWP is just average in so many aspects of the game .One paced,safe passing all the time,weak and even his famed dead ball delivery is a bit of a myth.I think he needs sending out to the championship to toughen him up a bit.Then we'll see whether he makes it or not , personally I don't think he will . He will end up another Surman

My thoughts exactly.

As poor as PEH was in both Milan games,he's shown more in the limited games he's played than JWP has done in 4 years.You can see the makings of a good player. JWP is just average in so many aspects of the game .One paced,safe passing all the time,weak and even his famed dead ball delivery is a bit of a myth.I think he needs sending out to the championship to toughen him up a bit.Then we'll see whether he makes it or not , personally I don't think he will . He will end up another Surman

Who to be fair (Surman) has had a pretty fair career. No doubt JWP has improved a bit this season, but posts 43 and 44 sum it up for me. Hojbjerg has so much more in his locker.