Hull vs Saints Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 days and about 15 hours rest and we're at it again. I assume it's back to the Premier league team. Fonte, Bertrand, Davis, Clasie and Austin all to start, one would imagine. Possibly Boufal too.

Hull are, TBH, sh*te. Since winning their opening two, they've lost every League game but for a 90th minute equaliser at Burnley. Their last home outing was a 2-0 defeat by Stoke. Without meaning to sound cocky, we should win this and have an excellent recent record against the Tigers. Won our last 4 matches I believe and on our last trip up there Wanyama scored early on from about 40 yards.

Pretty sure that would be the team but with Redmond on the bench in place of Jay. Nathan needs a rest and Jay needs more minutes. A good game to get some in.

As poor as Hull are, it's a long trip up there straight after a Europa game, and we'll still have to be on our game to win. Squad rotation is sensible, using Premier League games to give someone currently well below par (i.e. Rodriguez) a run out is a recipe for disaster.

Would prefer to play Boufal up front instead of Rodriguez, then IF we get a decent lead bring on Jay for Tadic and drop Boufal back. My thinking is that Boufal is capable of beating his man and creating something from nothing, but he's currently too much of a risk to play deeper as he has a tendency to lose the ball and expose us on the break. If he's going to lose it, let him lose it in the opposition's third.

Pretty sure that would be the team but with Redmond on the bench in place of Jay. Nathan needs a rest and Jay needs more minutes. A good game to get some in.

If he needs minutes, he should play for the U23s. It's arrogant to think we're good enough to win games carrying an absolute passenger, which, sadly, Rodriguez is.

It's been two and a half years since his knee injury - at what point do the club accept that he's just not able to play at anywhere near the required standard anymore, and merely blocking the path into the squad of a young up-and-comer?

I'm gutted for him, but football isn't sentimental - the attacking options in our squad have been compromised by the club's misplaced faith in a player who is barely fit for purpose. We're a forward short. In my humble opinion.

100% agree qwerty. The only thing that very slightly marred last night for me was seeing JRod so obviously struggling. The mind is definitely willing but I fear the body is not up to this level. At what point do the club say that's it? The end of this season I suspect.

I know we are a bit short at the moment but is Clasie really worth persevering with. He is not a long term solution to any problem........

Long term he's certainly the most at risk.

I only agreed with the team above as Claude normally switches the shuttle midfielders.

He started him vs Chelsea & City, so can't see him being worried about playing him vs Hull.

I know we are a bit short at the moment but is Clasie really worth persevering with. He is not a long term solution to any problem........

You really do have a downer on this lad don't you? Every one of our players has a stinker every third game or so and if you like to be realistic about our other midfielders. Prowse can't tackle to save his life and Holberg hits about 4 out of every 10 passes wildly. Clasie can tackle, and can hit accurate passes. He lacks stamina and maybe his effectiveness becomes less as the game moves on but there are plenty in that category including Tadic, Redmond and Austin that you seem to ignore, which is a main reason we find it so difficult to score from open play.

May I respectfully suggest you stop demonising Clasie and study what he actually does during a match and then maybe you will understand why Puel and quite a few others on this forum do not agree with you and find your eternal carping about him irksome and mindless.

If he needs minutes, he should play for the U23s. It's arrogant to think we're good enough to win games carrying an absolute passenger, which, sadly, Rodriguez is.

It's been two and a half years since his knee injury - at what point do the club accept that he's just not able to play at anywhere near the required standard anymore, and merely blocking the path into the squad of a young up-and-comer?

I'm gutted for him, but football isn't sentimental - the attacking options in our squad have been compromised by the club's misplaced faith in a player who is barely fit for purpose. We're a forward short. In my humble opinion.

i agree with this, have Rodriguez on the bench at Hull then give him the full 90 mins on Wednesday night v Crawley at St Marys, will help build fitness and confidence while the rest of the squad are away on international duty.

The fact we are able to bring back into the starting line up Bertrand, Fonte, Davis, Clasie, Austin, Boufal possibly as fresh legs is great and should allow us to fall into the tiredness of Thursday / Sunday fatigue.

plenty of tickets left for this game for anyone who fancies a trip up.

Suspect the team will be:

Forster

Martina

Fonte

VVD

Bertrand

Davis

Romeu

Classie

Boufal or Tadic

Austin

Redmond

I would agree with this, but VVD has put in so many minutes and Yoshida is in form that maybe you give VVD a rest for Hull and give Yoshida the start. Or am I overthinking this?

I don't care that we've got the international break coming up, I still think Martina needs to be rested. major credit to him for how hard he's played in the congested run, and there have been good spells to be sure, but i don't think he's any more of a plus than putting Yoshida out there for a game, or Stephens or Valery -- who is probably not ready but what do i know.

For what it's worth: Curacao have a friendly in the Netherlands over the break (against a soft eredivisie club side) so hopefully he'll have a restful break, compared with playing two matches on hellish CONCACAF pitches. all the same, I still hope he's on the bench for Hull. expect he's right back into the side when we come back and Cedric is still a doubt.

You know he had surgery on an unrelated injury about a month ago, don't you?

You know he had surgery on an unrelated injury about a month ago, don't you?

As well as a head injury about 20 minutes into a league cup game that would've helped him regain some sharpnesss the other week. Calls for us to just give up on him are ridiculous, nobody knows whether he's going to be the same player he was before his injury until he has a decent amount of game time to regain some confidence and lose some rust, which he hasn't been able to get because of constant injuries that are not related to the original serious one.

As well as a head injury about 20 minutes into a league cup game that would've helped him regain some sharpnesss the other week. Calls for us to just give up on him are ridiculous, nobody knows whether he's going to be the same player he was before his injury until he has a decent amount of game time to regain some confidence and lose some rust, which he hasn't been able to get because of constant injuries that are not related to the original serious one.

Indeed after he joined us from Burnley it took about 6 months before he found his feet. His game thrives on confidence

So with squad rotation it seems that some would advocate you can play as poorly as you like and still get a game just to make up the numbers. What a strange concept.

Only for as long as we stay in 4 competitions. If you play like Caulker did against Liverpool or half the team against Sheffield Utd, you will soon find yourself without any game time.

Looks like it's going to be cold, wet and windy

Gale force winds, not great conditions for us. I think it will be a very tough game, was impressed when I saw them play Leicester first game of the season.

You really do have a downer on this lad don't you? Every one of our players has a stinker every third game or so and if you like to be realistic about our other midfielders. Prowse can't tackle to save his life and Holberg hits about 4 out of every 10 passes wildly. Clasie can tackle, and can hit accurate passes. He lacks stamina and maybe his effectiveness becomes less as the game moves on but there are plenty in that category including Tadic, Redmond and Austin that you seem to ignore, which is a main reason we find it so difficult to score from open play.

May I respectfully suggest you stop demonising Clasie and study what he actually does during a match and then maybe you will understand why Puel and quite a few others on this forum do not agree with you and find your eternal carping about him irksome and mindless.

What on earth are you dribbling on about ????

You seem to have thirst for trolling on here and to cap it all appear to have got the wrong person!

The polite way to describe your post is twaddle!

Now buzz off and leave me and others alone please.

Thanks

It's often said that there are no easy games in the Prem. and talking about "must win games" always sounds very dramatic, :scared: but the truth of the matter is that if Saints are to establish themselves in the Prem. ..then even after beating Inter Milan..games like this must give 3 points ..or else we'll have an uphill task against the likes of Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal who are yet to come.