Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For Best CBs.

St Landrew

I can't believe so many people are going for Dave Watson. A top player when he was a few years younger, but when he played for us he was old and slow - so much so that Lawrie (despite his love of class players in the latter stages of their careers) moved him on after a year or so.

McGrath and Wright for me, but honourable mentions for Gabriel, Nicholl, Richards and Killer.

I have to go for Tony Knapp and Jimmy Gabriel - Tony was a great reader of the game, a strong tackler and great header of the baal as well as a real leader. Jimmy, well one of the best all round defenders I have ever seen and a quality footballer in every respect. Both served us well for many years/games and rarely missed through injury despite being tough players.

(I would really like to have included Mel Blyth who transformed our defence when he arrived from Palace but I will have to put him as third choice).*

Jim Steele, Chris Nicholl, Dave Watson, Mark Wright, Claus, Monkou, Dean Richards, Killer, Calum Davenport...

Dave watson and Mark Wright for me

With the obvious exception of Davenport (which I assume was a joke!), a great line-up. I'd give an honourable mention to Neil Ruddock too - if nothing else for his last minute pen vs. Newcastle (when he got stripped down to his jock strap by the crowd!) - and Mel Blyth.

My heart says Jim Steele for his MoM performance on 1 May 1976, Dave Watson was probably one of the greatest english centre halves I've seen, Wright was an immense talent, but I have never quite forgiven him for the way he legged it to Derby, Clause was different class for so many years. Based on their impact for Saints...

...Screw it, I'll go for Claus and Jim Steele.

well i guess these choices are based on how long we've all been supporting saints. My first real memory of a good centre back was ken monkou. Since we've had richards, claus and killer. Oh and perry. Snicker.

Choose two? Richards and killer, though i'm sure wright, ruddock et al were brilliant too.

John McGrath

With either Michael Svennson - never has an injury to a single player been more costly- or Jim Steele,especially for 1/5/76.

For this to be a 'greatest' Saints team it has to embody the greatest spirit of Southampton;that is the team spirit of The Alehouse.And no one brings that quality more than John McGrath.

Jimmy Gabriel by the way would be a first choice sub who could play CB,midfield,and if needed centre forward.

Watson was better before he joined us. Jimmy Gabriel was a brilliant player but lacked a little height. I've seen all the CBs mentioned here, but there are two standouts, Svennson to attack the ball and big Mark Wright to sweep up. I think they might even have been pretty close to being the best pair in the top division, let alone the club.

The one and only Big John McGrath...heart and soul on his sleeve every week..

Another CB please, or would you like me to put you down for a nomination of his constant CB partner, Jimmy Gabriel..?

I'll happily do so, as both together were quite an effective pairing. :)

Nominations close late this evening, and the vote will begin a little after that. That is... if I remember to do it. Busy afternoon/stroke evening. Those that haven't posted, get your nominations in please.

Just let go of your social life and concentrate on what really matters in life. :-)

Dave Watson and Chris Nicholl, Mark Wright close third

They played together for us just before,and during the early Keegan era.Surprisingly they didn't strike me as a particularly reliable duo especially away from home.

I agree. Both excellent centre backs, especially Watson, but as a combination they weren't so great. I think they had shared weaknesses, lack of pace being a key one, which made them considerably less effective as a pairing.

Like so many others on here, I'd find it impossible to look beyond Watson and Wright as the ideal.