HULL 2-Saints 1 Post match

Ohio Saint

1) screwed up my accumulator

2) too much passing, almost as if we try and walk it in, no drive and not clinical enough- we don't stretch the pitch and balls into the box has been sh*te

3) goals still a problem, we need to get lucky breaks to score almost- has been the case with last 4 games with a john stones error, nagatomo OG and today a penalty.

4) Forster- almost every game feels like any shot on target if it isn't blocked by one of our defenders is a goal- guess you can't blame him for todays goals but I cannot remember a time where Forster has made a save where its kept us in the match- or where we have gone 'wow'.

5) Does Europa league take its toll? 5 changes from thursday though i don't see any reason to be really

6) we only turned up the heat when we were losing which suggests lack of motivation

7) batman will take a dump on his hand

8) never bet on saints to win

This team has so few goals in it - not just today but even games we have won should have been by more. This is becoming the main issue in every game and it desperately needs addressing in January. We must make more backwards passes than any other team and the final ball is just pathetic. Such a frustrating game and should have been won well ahead of letting them back into the match. Much work still needed.

Everything you say is what everyone was saying before the season started. The Board have been complacent and now they need to wake up.

Lots of possession, do very little with it. Just like against Inter first half. Boring football to watch, lack of urgency going forward, too much sideways/backwards 'easy' ball, no movement up front, we play like statues in the opponents half. No one wants to make a run, give a forward option. Best I have seen saints play for years was at home to Arsenal on Boxing Day, 30 odd % possession and 4 goals...

Playing to a system, not to our strengths.

We will be fine, but we could be better than we are currently - 442 is a much better formation than the diamond forces us to. Clasie offers little, never scored, never likely to. Lots of posters on here had concerns about our forward options for this season, sadly being proven correct so far. We are toothless, playing the system we are doesn't help either imo. Play Austin/Redmond as a pair playing off of each other, not as isolated entities. Just my thoughts...

Our forward line needs renewal. Less men, more quality.

A pretty disgraceful post from a loud mouth perhaps who thinks money grows on trees

Support the team they cannot always win every game especially as they did really well on Thursday I dont expect the team is particularly happy playing in Hull after beating Inter on Thursday

Revised target for this season - 40 points.

That's the target for clubs like us every season anyway? That's the target for everyone bar the top 7.

After the 40 pts, depending on where we are in the season, then you can add a revised plan- and everything else becomes a bonus.

I think if I could choose, I would take 13th to 17th place and a cup win every season

1) screwed up my accumulator

2) too much passing, almost as if we try and walk it in, no drive and not clinical enough- we don't stretch the pitch and balls into the box has been sh*te

3) goals still a problem, we need to get lucky breaks to score almost- has been the case with last 4 games with a john stones error, nagatomo OG and today a penalty.

4) Forster- almost every game feels like any shot on target if it isn't blocked by one of our defenders is a goal- guess you can't blame him for todays goals but I cannot remember a time where Forster has made a save where its kept us in the match- or where we have gone 'wow'.

5) Does Europa league take its toll? 5 changes from thursday though i don't see any reason to be really

6) we only turned up the heat when we were losing which suggests lack of motivation

7) batman will take a dump on his hand

8) never bet on saints to win

Can we change it to someone doing it on his face?

giphy.gif

Quote from build-up: Sorry, but have a bad feeling about this one. Firstly, it's going to be bitterly cold and windy, so might as well leave Tadić at home.

And it will be hard to avoid a post-Inter hangover.

Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bugger

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

That's the target for clubs like us every season anyway? That's the target for everyone bar the top 7.

After the 40 pts, depending on where we are in the season, then you can add a revised plan- and everything else becomes a bonus.

I think if I could choose, I would take 13th to 17th place and a cup win every season

You better watch what you say. You will be put on the 'troll' list. Remember 'Double Plus Good!'

A pretty disgraceful post from a loud mouth perhaps who thinks money grows on trees

Support the team they cannot always win every game especially as they did really well on Thursday I dont expect the team is particularly happy playing in Hull after beating Inter on Thursday

No need for personal abuse.

And why is it "disgraceful"? Not a term I'd associate with football analysis and discussion. You got another agenda?

Professional footballers should be delighted to play anywhere in the league, especially after putting Inter to the sword.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've only beaten Burnley Swansea and West Ham so far. We're mid table 10th-15th nailed on at the moment.

yep, agree with that.

This we will fight off being dragged into a relegation scrap until we are out of europe where another little run in the league will see us about 13th

just an appalling lack of goals (as so many predicted but were slated for it)

Should have been out of sight in the first half.

Looks like our traditional winter blip has started slightly earlier this season.

Time for the pragmatists to handover the forum to the overreactionists for a few days I guess.

Out of sight suggests we were creating chances . We weren't. Other than a couple of half-chances in the final few mins of the first half, we were comfortable, nothing more.

It's disappointing that we still don't seem to be able to start with Boufal, the man signed to bring penetration/creativity in a game that should be perfect for him. It's November FFS, and if it's fit enough to come off the bench then he must be fit enough to start.

It's disappointing that we still don't seem to be able to start with Boufal, the man signed to bring penetration/creativity in a game that should be perfect for him. It's November FFS, and if it's fit enough to come off the bench then he must be fit enough to start.

said on the commentary that he was in the initial starting 11 but was changed in the build up for tadic

You better watch what you say. You will be put on the 'troll' list. Remember 'Double Plus Good!'

Not troll though its the truth.

Difference is you say it as if we want 17th every season and you would be content with it.

Even this season despite winning the league pretty sure Ranieri said they want to reach 40 pts first.

I'd love for us to finish top 7 again, but I think we can all agree we won't finish higher than 6th this season and it is also a very unfair expectation to put on Claude Puel- for this season purely would love cup runs (omg the Europa) and midtable mediocrity I think- before regrouping and really going for it for the 2017/18 season.

What I love about Saints is that we can go any where and any stadium expecting a result, because that's what the success of the past 3 years have done, and if that continues i'll be glad- unlike the 90s where a pt was almost a win.

Doesn't he have AFON soon as well?

Suspect he'll start after the international break. Question is whether he sacrifices Redmond or Tadic to do so or tries to accommodate all three.

Not troll though its the truth.

Difference is you say it as if we want 17th every season and you would be content with it.

Even this season despite winning the league pretty sure Ranieri said they want to reach 40 pts first.

I'd love for us to finish top 7 again, but I think we can all agree we won't finish higher than 6th this season and it is also a very unfair expectation to put on Claude Puel- for this season purely would love cup runs (omg the Europa) and midtable mediocrity I think- before regrouping and really going for it for the 2017/18 season.

What I love about Saints is that we can go any where and any stadium expecting a result, because that's what the success of the past 3 years have done, and if that continues i'll be glad- unlike the 90s where a pt was almost a win.

Of course the Board would love to finish above 17th. However, I don't think they would be that disappointed if we finished 16th and 17th for the next 10 years as this means the money keeps rollng in.

Out of sight suggests we were creating chances . We weren't. Other than a couple of half-chances in the final few mins of the first half, we were comfortable, nothing more.

Fair point. Badly articulated on my part. What I meant was "we had the opportunity to be out of sight given how much time and space Hull gave us but for some reason we decided not to step up a gear or two in order to take advantage of the situation"

Maybe he isn't good enough, he's not played at this level before and not every import makes the grade in the PL as we have seen in the past? Maybe he is not strong enough physically and they are building up his strength, stamina and speed before giving him too much exposure?

Very worrying. Struggling to score goals regularly. Summer transfer business haunting us now. We made a profit why didn't we sign a striker?

Maybe our target players were too expensive and the Board decided to take a chance on what we had already, especially on Jayrod.

Suspect he'll start after the international break. Question is whether he sacrifices Redmond or Tadic to do so or tries to accommodate all three.

Two of those three plus Austin in any given game, I'd assume. Redmond in the most need of place-threatening pressure.

said on the commentary that he was in the initial starting 11 but was changed in the build up for tadic

I missed that.

Maybe he isn't good enough, he's not played at this level before and not every import makes the grade in the PL as we have seen in the past? Maybe he is not strong enough physically and they are building up his strength, stamina and speed before giving him too much exposure?

These were my thoughts. Boufal seems, hate to say it, a bit lightweight. Too easily bullied or knocked off the ball, hopefully a matter of time to get used to the step up. He's certainly creative though, tricky and draws plenty of fouls with quick feet.

Seems to be the story of our recent matches, plenty of possession > poor decision making in the final third > more chances than the opposition > but the opposition score with virtually every on target chance which they get i.e. Man City, Chelsea, Milan x 2 and today. The opposition of whichever level are more ruthless and clinical with the few chances that they get than us, that is the difference.

Two of those three plus Austin in any given game, I'd assume. Redmond in the most need of place-threatening pressure.

Problem is Redmond is our only real option with pace. Unless you're starting Long who's a square-peg-in-a-round-hole and not particularly pacy with the ball at his feet, it'll be very easy for teams to squeeze up on us.