HULL 2-Saints 1 Post match

Ohio Saint

Why would we be knackered? Its only the start of October and most players have been rested a fair bit so far already.

Knackered is pushing it but the Europa League schedule is tough and does get the better of practically every team that can't afford a huge squad of megastars. We've done well to handle it so far but can forgive being off the pace now and again.

Knackered is pushing it but the Europa League schedule is tough and does get the better of practically every team that can't afford a huge squad of megastars. We've done well to handle it so far but can forgive being off the pace now and again.
The only two players that I'm worried about them playing too much so far are Romeu and VVD.

Always disappointing to lose but on reflection I thought we were a tad unlucky today. I accept we perhaps should have gone for the jugular in the first half but overall there is no doubt we deserved to get something from the match. It was just one of those games where we probably didn't quite get the run of the ball whereas Hull scored two good goals against the run of play and apart from that did very little offensively. It was a smash and grab really and we've won matches ourselves in the same manner - it happens. I don't think we should be overly critical of the manager or the team as they put a shift in after a tough game three days ago and created the better situations but in the end it was Hull's day. There are no easy games, every team has some qualities and yes, Hull took the points on this occasion but we were undoubtedly the side that showed far more quality. In football luck plays a part and today they had more than us - we fought back after the shock of conceding the two quick goals and created chances but didn't get the rub of the green. Not the end of the world and I'm sure the players are as disappointed as we are but they put the effort in so we can't ask for more than that.

Yea I agree that the "sky is falling" in posters are plain stupid, but everyone has different ways of handling defeat. I can be quite irrational for a spell until I calm down and sober up. Also I think posters, or some of them, just let off steam, while others don't feel the need. I would have taken beating Milan and losing today at the start of the week, so I can't moan, but I still feel this season could be a memorable one had we been more adventurous in the last window and that is frustrating me.

cant argue with any of that, although I'm sure some will.

To let Mane AND Pelle go was risky, to keep Jay Rod because of a fluke vs Sunderland was a strange call and to rely on Long who had an unusually high scoring return last season was a gamble.

We have creative players in Tadic, Boufal and Redmond, we have one goal scorer in Austin. Thereby lies the problem, plain and simple.

it MUST be addressed in January.

To let Mane AND Pelle go was risky, to keep Jay Rod because of a fluke vs Sunderland was a strange call and to rely on Long who had an unusually high scoring return last season was a gamble.

We have creative players in Tadic, Boufal and Redmond, we have one goal scorer in Austin. Thereby lies the problem, plain and simple.

Just as well that's not what we did!

Let's face it, the Saints approached the game thinking it would be a relatively easy win and the early penalty was the worst thing that could have happened. It just increased the complacency. The first half was used as a training exercise in passing instead of killing off the game. In Snodgrass they have a player we don't have, one who can change the course of a game. Deserved all we got! A load of rubbish and mid-table mediocrity is about all we can now expect from this season with the lack of goal-scoring potential on hand. Will now be crucified by Liverpool with 4 ex-Saints players. Won't they love that!

Reed has lost his magic touch this summer with signings and managerial appointment, going on the cheap.

Puel has no plan B, cant motivate the players and is generally a **** manager.

And god knows why Claise still gets a game...

Im glad to see the utter melt is back in town. is it wrong to wish a stroke on someone so they cant use a keyboard?

anyhow can t quite beloeve we lost this. I think they were totally over confident after taking the lead and took it for granted that they would win. hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard and all that jazz.

once we got stung we uppd our game, created hances and were frankly unlucky we didnt grab an equalizer. lets hope they learnn a lesson from this.

As others have said, we could've easily scored 3-4 goals. At the end of the day, shit happens. If we'd played like Hull had today, then I'd be despondent.

Talking about shit, I have to defend Batman here. When he said "if we dont win, I will take a dump in both hands and clap. will post a picture to prove it" I think he meant if we were to go 2-0 up. I'm sure he'll let us know if that's correct, otherwise we can expect to see the picture soon.

Agree with most people, really disappointing result and we're probably going to end up around mid-table somewhere with some decent cup runs; but this isn't a bad thing with Europe and decent Cup runs thrown in there. It's time to build up over the seasons and start some stable improvement as it's what we've been crying out for. Less selling in summer and more all-round squad improvement with an identity to the way we play. It's not all bad.

I've been out but heard the result. Is it safe yet, has Alpine vented and shown himself a twit again?

He's been around with the usual drivel but has had a lot of competition tonight !

If you fancy trawling through this thread then I suggest that you keep a bottle of vodka by your side or even a few happy pills cos you sure as hell are gonna need them :)

Don't hold your breath mate. We're still waiting for him to post evidence of him eating his own faeces after he promised he would do it if we qualified for the playoffs in 2007.

Haha, he has studiously avoided mentioning that post today. Pretending he doesn't wish he hadn't written it.

Puel keeps saying we have a "young team" not used to playing every three days, but its not really true in the league, is it?

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-11-06/claude-puel-post-hull-city-2-1-southampton-reaction

Today Redmond was our youngest player (22) and he has well over 100 career apps.

Seven of our starting XI were over 25 and the others were (Redmond aside) VVD, Clasie and Romeu - all experienced for their age.

Many of these players played European or Intl football before joining us.

Just seems a strange thing to continually underline. Today wasn't a lesson for a young team at all.

These were my thoughts. Boufal seems, hate to say it, a bit lightweight. Too easily bullied or knocked off the ball, hopefully a matter of time to get used to the step up. He's certainly creative though, tricky and draws plenty of fouls with quick feet.

I thought Boufal showed more creativity and flair in his 20 minutes than any other player on the pitch. He was one of the positive things about today.

So Shearer and Murphy think Hull thoroughly deserved the result. Well I thought they were one of the worst sides I've seen in a long time. We brought the result on ourselves. They were entitled to the win by virtue of their two goals to our one but they didn't deserve it.

Always disappointing to lose but on reflection I thought we were a tad unlucky today. I accept we perhaps should have gone for the jugular in the first half but overall there is no doubt we deserved to get something from the match. It was just one of those games where we probably didn't quite get the run of the ball whereas Hull scored two good goals against the run of play and apart from that did very little offensively. It was a smash and grab really and we've won matches ourselves in the same manner - it happens. I don't think we should be overly critical of the manager or the team as they put a shift in after a tough game three days ago and created the better situations but in the end it was Hull's day. There are no easy games, every team has some qualities and yes, Hull took the points on this occasion but we were undoubtedly the side that showed far more quality. In football luck plays a part and today they had more than us - we fought back after the shock of conceding the two quick goals and created chances but didn't get the rub of the green. Not the end of the world and I'm sure the players are as disappointed as we are but they put the effort in so we can't ask for more than that.

Sorry but don't think you can put it down to luck when the kind of pattern we saw in this game is becoming a recurring theme. You are right that we controlled the game but it was telling that most of our clearest chances came after we went behind and actually started chasing a goal. We need to show that kind of intensity earlier to kill these kind of games.

We are also too reliant on Austin now who seems the only player who is currently hungry for goals. Too many of the rest seem content to play safe in possession. If we can't get more from Rodriguez, Redmond and Tadic in terms of goal threat, it will need to be addressed in January.

I agree it's not all doom and gloom as we are dominant in many games but we do need to learn and improve in the attacking third of the pitch.

So Shearer and Murphy think Hull thoroughly deserved the result. Well I thought they were one of the worst sides I've seen in a long time. We brought the result on ourselves. They were entitled to the win by virtue of their two goals to our one but they didn't deserve it.

They often love to favour the team who wins, regardless of the pattern of play. "Deserved it for their charactor" etc etc. Had the game pattern and flow been completely identical other than Hull's 2 goal, and had just won 1-0, they'd be saying we deserved to win by 4 or 5 and that Hull were absolutely dreadful.

Puel keeps saying we have a "young team" not used to playing every three days, but its not really true in the league, is it?

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-11-06/claude-puel-post-hull-city-2-1-southampton-reaction

Today Redmond was our youngest player (22) and he has well over 100 career apps.

Seven of our starting XI were over 25 and the others were (Redmond aside) VVD, Clasie and Romeu - all experienced for their age.

Just seems a strange thing to continually underline. Today wasn't a lesson for a young team at all.

Does he mean average age or that this team is still growing?

Would give Puel the benefit of the doubt there, he probably meant a newly formed side, still adapting to his coaching and Europa schedule etc.

As the season goes on, it's clear there will be 3 sections to the league. Annoyingly the 'top 6', as the media like to call it, are all firing, and that is their own mini league unless by some miracle someone goes on a run of wins from below. Then we're in the race for 7th, about the best we can hope for, with the likes of Everton, probably Leicester and others, then the turd at the bottom, Swansea, Stoke and perhaps one or two others. Despite our proximity to the relegation zone, I'm still not worried.

Thankfully I was working through today's game so could separate myself from it, but it sounds just like an off day. Sort out the goalscoring problem and we power up the league. Unfortunately we have to make do with what we have until at least January, so let's hope Puel can get it sorted with the players we have. Hopefully the international break gives some players a chance to get fitter and recover from injury.

Bringing Boufal on too late cost us the game. A second goal, or at least more attacking intent to push them back would have made a huge difference. I am not buying tiredness after Milan, when Boufal is lounging on the bench for over an hour. That will probably turn out to be our worst result of the season and was completely avoidable. We create loads of chances too - just struggle with putting them away. Midfield in general is very wasteful in front of goal.

Agree with others I'm not buying the tiredness excuse that seems to be churned out, we rested a number of players against Inter with no travelling midweek and a short one hour flight up to Hull. This was a classic Saints shlte performance that we've had many times before (losing at Norwich, Burnley etc)

Listening to Dave Merrington does my head in don't think I'll bother tuning in to Solent again.

Fingers crossed for an injury free international break with some of the squad getting some rest, I fear we'll go down the table by the end of the month, very tempted to put my Liverpool ticket on the ticket exchange can't face watching a certain defeat against the ex-saints greedy bastard 4.

interestingly i seem to remember lots of posts saying we should be targeting a win against inter milan and not worry about hull in the league as much. funny reading the wetting after that happens.

i would imagine the usual suspects would still moan if they won every game.

We're a good team with a pretty slick passing game and generally a great defence. Cedric and Long to return soon, hopefully. This was a very frustrating afternoon, but it once again showed me how much quality we have. I'm still very condifent it'll be a great season.

An extra striker in January would be lovely though.

interestingly i seem to remember lots of posts saying we should be targeting a win against inter milan and not worry about hull in the league as much. funny reading the wetting after that happens.

In fairness those people were talking about us playing with a stronger first eleven vs Milan. We played a rotated side and still won, which was great.

But the rotated back first eleven should have given a better account of themselves yesterday being that half of them didn't play on Thursday.

Peul prioritised the game we lost.

Not really sure where you're seeing a contradiction because there isn't one.

THIS !!

Knackered or not it still comes down to the fact we are not clinical enough. This happens week after week. If only we had players like Rickie, Beattie and Marians who used to know where the goal was when we were not such a successful team. I was in envy of Diago Costa's performance for Chelsea earlier in the week and we have just got to find somebody of that ilk. I know we will not pay the fee or the wages but there must be somebody out there that the black box can find hidden away?

Yep, seemed like a bit of a lazy and rushed post match analysis. They castigated Swansea's lacklustre performance vs Man Utd and yet, from what I saw, Hull were equally lacklustre for 60 minutes of the game. (Yes, we were lacklustre too, albeit whilst dominating proceedings).

Hey ho...the fickle world of football punditry... at least it was in keeping with the fickle world of internet football forum opinions :)

Knackered or not it still comes down to the fact we are not clinical enough. This happens week after week. If only we had players like Rickie, Beattie and Marians who used to know where the goal was when we were not such a successful team. I was in envy of Diago Costa's performance for Chelsea earlier in the week and we have just got to find somebody of that ilk. I know we will not pay the fee or the wages but there must be somebody out there that the black box can find hidden away?

I think we've got one and he's called Charlie Austin.

5 in 10 in the Premier League suggests he's on track to surpass Pelle and Mane from last season, potentially ending up with more than the pair of them put together.

It's the rest of the front line we have issues with but we clearly have someone who "knows where the goal is".

This seems to be the story in every game we play, lots of possession and missed opportunities.

I like Puel but he does seems to only have one way playing and is reluctant to change things, plus his determination to keep playing Clasie who is regularly underperforming is a bit odd.

I think we need a couple of additions in the January transfer window one of which is a striker with a bit more creativity about him and who can complimemt Austin who does lack decent service at times.

So let me get this straight. One of the forum plumbs is going to sh*t on himself in a daft self-inflicted wager??

The other forum plumbs must be airing their PVC onesies as we speak ;-)

Given that he plans to cup it in his hands and then clap, the sh*t's going to hit the fan.

Agree with others I'm not buying the tiredness excuse that seems to be churned out, we rested a number of players against Inter with no travelling midweek and a short one hour flight up to Hull. This was a classic Saints shlte performance that we've had many times before (losing at Norwich, Burnley etc)

Listening to Dave Merrington does my head in don't think I'll bother tuning in to Solent again.

Fingers crossed for an injury free international break with some of the squad getting some rest, I fear we'll go down the table by the end of the month, very tempted to put my Liverpool ticket on the ticket exchange can't face watching a certain defeat against the ex-saints greedy bastard 4.

Puel emphasised in his after match interview 2 things : Concentration and intensity. It is not physical tiredness per se, it is the ability to maintain your highest level as the games come thick and fast !

I mentioned earlier that Thurs/Sunday matches have taken their toll on league positions for most teams in the past and we do not seem to be an an exception !

Noticeable also how well Chelsea and Liverpool are doing without any European involvement !

Keep the faith !

This is very true. Tadic is a concern. As reflected in all his penalties he has a mental issue with scoring goals. He has apparently mentioned that he 'prefers' assisting... he really is a skilful player but the end product is lacking. Get someone to look inside his head because he has the skill. He really has to take the responsibility on his shoulders to score goals.

At the risk of some idiot on here saying I have a thing against Classie he is not quite there and will also never score - Davis has faded and the game is mostly just too quick for him now, a decent player buy fading fast now and again is very unlikely to score like the other two he is goal shy in many ways.

We have too many players hiding when it comes to putting the ball in the net and they need to be aware that everyone has to pitch in.

On balance you have to say the European match team looks a better side, however the psychology side needs a look at. If everyone sees their role as assisting only we have a problem....

Puel emphasised in his after match interview 2 things : Concentration and intensity. It is not physical tiredness per se, it is the ability to maintain your highest level as the games come thick and fast !

I mentioned earlier that Thurs/Sunday matches have taken their toll on league positions for most teams in the past and we do not seem to be an an exception !

Noticeable also how well Chelsea and Liverpool are doing without any European involvement !

Keep the faith !

It's also a bad mix with complacency when you're playing Hull. After the away tie in Milan we had to go to the Etihad, definitely a tougher set of circumstances. When you're up against Man City the players know they can't afford to be anything other 100%, whereas going 1-0 up against lowly Hull, you can see how subconciously they might have taken their foot off the gas, and as a result lost the concentration levels required.

I still feel angered that we somehow conspired to lose to such a woeful side, especially having lead. We really should have put them to the sword in the first half but we didn’t take enough risks to make this happen. This isn’t a new thing, but quite often we can rely on our excellent defence to take the 1-0 or at least get a point, for example Leicester and Man City away games.

I don’t think there is a singular reason but rather a combination of things that mean we often struggle to kill off such games:

- We really only have 1 natural finisher in Austin. We seem pretty reliant on him and he really could do with his fellow attackers and midfielders chipping in every now and then, even if it’s just getting in the box so that he is harder to mark.

- Our final ball, mainly our crossing, is as big a problem as the finishing. This includes our free kicks and corners. They seem to either hit the first man or sail out for a throw on the opposite side. For all of our talents we don’t seem to have anyone with a ‘wand’ of a left/right foot. For example, Snodgrass has his limitations but the accuracy of his left foot was the difference yesterday – his finish for the first and delivery for the second. Tadic does some brilliant stuff but often his striking of the ball, whether crossing or shooting lets him down. But then if he had that in his locker as well then he probably wouldn’t be with us!

- We aren’t brave or quick enough in possession a lot of the time. I think this is partly the way Puel wants us to play and partly the midfield personnel. Clasie in particular is far too happy to play it safe. I really don’t like him and Davis in the same side. Too similar and too lightweight. Although that may be a little harsh on Davis, as I do like him as a player.

My other frustration when chasing a game is the like for like changes. Why Boufal for Tadic? It would be nice to see them get more minutes together on the pitch. And then J Rod for Redmond, did we really need 3 possession recycling midfielders on the pitch in the last 10 minutes of the match?

Very frustrating yesterday but all in all we are a good side and I’m sure we will end up having another good season. We will get results like this from time to time. A club of our size is always going to have some weaknesses I suppose.

He's been around with the usual drivel but has had a lot of competition tonight !

If you fancy trawling through this thread then I suggest that you keep a bottle of vodka by your side or even a few happy pills cos you sure as hell are gonna need them :)

Thanks, I'll just have a scan down from here then, or can I use a read to justify a nice Barossa Shiraz? [Er.. not at this time of day.]

Actually noted and agreed with your point about Puel's comments on Concentration and Intensity: perhaps trying to pace themselves over the season?

I'm still waiting for JWP, Romeu or Davis to blast one in from distance (I'm assuming Tadic from short range..) to give teams something else to worry about, which was why Boufal's goal against Sunderland was so heartening. Oh well, it's a lovely day and I'm far more upset about the result yesterday of my women's team so I'll leave the depressives to it.

[quote=Adkins' Bus;2418391

- We really only have 1 natural finisher in Austin. We seem pretty reliant on him and he really could do with his fellow attackers and midfielders chipping in every now and then, even if it’s just getting in the box so that he is harder to mark.

At this point of time, I would say even Austin is missing a hell of a lot of chances which you would expect him to stick away.

As others have said, we could've easily scored 3-4 goals. At the end of the day, shit happens. If we'd played like Hull had today, then I'd be despondent.

Well said. Play that game yesterday 10 times. Saints win 7 of them. 2 draws. 1 Hull win.

Just like Man City 1 Middlesbrough 1 on Sat. Man City were even *more in control* at 1-0 than Saints were but somehow didn't manage to win it.

Saints/Hull stats

Poss 66/34

Shots 19/6

Shots On Target 7/2

Corners 10/1

Man City/Mboro stats

Poss 71/29

Shots 25/5

Shots On Target 7/3

Corners 8/2

The best team does not always win. Always painful but no need to SACK THE BOARD! MANAGER OUT! WE NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY! blah blah blah.