HULL 2-Saints 1 Post match

Ohio Saint

You mean people disappointed with the result and the performance?

I suspect he's simply observing that certain forum members post 'disappointment' after a defeat yet never post 'enjoyment' after a victory. That said, it's their prerogative to only focus on the negatives if that's what they want to do.

We have struggled to score from midfield for 3-4 seasons now.

I don't think its down to the forwards, Zlatan has just had a goal drought and he is a quality striker.

We need goals from other areas i.e midfield.

I'd take Hatem Ben Arfa on loan (subsidised wages) from PSG with an option to buy.

Have him top of the diamond and Davis/Hojberg as the shuttlers as they both go forward as their first instinct

and 5 points off 6th place.

also...

Top half the table

2nd in our EL Group with 2 games to go

beat Inter Milan at home

last 8 in the EFL Cup

good season so far.

lousy result today

Could see this coming. Coming off a very emotional win Thursday. A string of 5 games in 15 days or so. Tired players, thin squad. The International break in the players view..

tried to coast through this game. it didn't work out.

Yep, exactly as I see it. It's a tough schedule and I said to a mate on Thursday after we beat Inter "We will go and lose to Hull now"

Happens a lot in football. Still at least fat fritzel will be happy with the result, I bet he's laying in a pool of baked beans whacking himself off with a picnic bar up his arris !

I was disappointed with the result today , just as I was disappointed losing against Norwich,Cardiff,Villa,QPR,Sunderland & Sheff Utd under Poch & Ron.

Overall I'm perfectly happy with last 8 of league cup , beating Milan & being second in Europa league , so I'm not going to wet my pants because we're mid table in the premiership . We ain't going to win it or finish top 4, top 6 is going to be ****ing hard to achieve seeing as Liverpool & Chelsea are so much better than last year, so is a poor performance in Hull really worth wetting the bed over . I'm happy with Puel & how the seasons gone overall. I'm sure they'll be another game that we don't deserve to win but pinch it like they did today , that's football

So is this the start of our famed pre-Xmas slump that we've decided to start slightly early this year? International break probably a good thing to provide a rest, but there's still much to do on the training pitch - particularly when it comes to the last passage of play in front of goal. Our corners are awful - the manner in which the ball is delivered is crying out for players running onto the ball - but they all move too soon and so are almost static when the ball comes to them. Poor technique and coaching surely?

17 shots and 10 corners...as usual we get into good positions but we are not clinical enough up front, not one of our midfielders look like scoring anywhere near ten goals a season, our final ball or crossing often lacks quality and our corners generally are ****. Today you also have to question the two defensive lapses which has cost us an easy 3 points. A depressing and deflating result against an abject Hull side.

Our European campaign seems to have caught up with us. Was bound to happen sooner or later.

And nothing wrong with that. Perfectly happy with midtable this season as the price to be paid for playing in Europe. That said it will be interesting to see how we play when the EL breaks for just over two months - to see how far performances are a product of personnel, formation or fixture congestion.

Reed has lost his magic touch this summer with signings and managerial appointment, going on the cheap.

Puel has no plan B, cant motivate the players and is generally a **** manager.

And god knows why Claise still gets a game...

Alps me ol' mucker.... Genuine question sir... Why do you only post this kinda stuff after a defeat rather than during a decent series of results? I'm not suggesting for one moment that you shouldn't be able to express such opinions, I'm just curious about your choice of timing each time.

I thought the players who did not start against Milan were, on the whole, our worst ones.......

Davis, Fonte, Bertrand were all awful and thought Clasie and Tadic were poor too.

Trouble with Austin is, he's just not clinical enough. Seems to need too many chances to score from open play and after that where on earth are the goals coming from?

Right now I would start McQueen ahead of Bertrand, have Boufal in place of Tadic, JWP in place of Davis and Pierre instead of Clasie.

We really, really do need a proper striker in the January window. We're far too lightweight and poor up front and Long, before his injury, appeared to have reverted back to his pre-Saints form.

Still, reasonable season so far. Could, and should, have been better in the League and if we had a proper striker we would have won in Milan and pretty much already qualified for the knock out stages.

I suspect he's simply observing that certain forum members post 'disappointment' after a defeat yet never post 'enjoyment' after a victory. That said, it's their prerogative to only focus on the negatives if that's what they want to do.

They don't post disappointment though, they post because they are happy we lose as they have no idea what to do

when we win

The fat one from Austria and that dik head Robbie in particular are over the moon

I was disappointed with the result today , just as I was disappointed losing against Norwich,Cardiff,Villa,QPR,Sunderland & Sheff Utd under Poch & Ron.

Overall I'm perfectly happy with last 8 of league cup , beating Milan & being second in Europa league , so I'm not going to wet my pants because we're mid table in the premiership . We ain't going to win it or finish top 4, top 6 is going to be ****ing hard to achieve seeing as Liverpool & Chelsea are so much better than last year, so is a poor performance in Hull really worth wetting the bed over . I'm happy with Puel & how the seasons gone overall. I'm sure they'll be another game that we don't deserve to win but pinch it like they did today , that's football

This.

Reed has lost his magic touch this summer with signings and managerial appointment, going on the cheap.

Mate do us all a favor. Log out and jump off a bridge. Cheers.

This. Mid table mediocrity beckons this season, I reckon. I want us to go full pelt in all the cups.

We do need to get in a quality striker though, preferably in January.

Booooooom!

And Mane who scored for Liverpool. Don't forget, we didn't really score at all today. Not from open play anyway.[emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought we played very well today except in the final third where we missed Mane and Pelle. Redmond is not an upgrade on Mane. He is a good replacement for Juanmi, being played out of position. The club's decision to sell our 2 best strikers and not buy a decent replacement has made life very difficult for Puel.

LDH making sense for the second time today.

Disappointing that we dominated the game but lost !

History tells you that playing on Sunday following a Europa league match on Thursday has an effect. Newcastle, Everton, Fulham and Swansea all suffered, Wigan and Birmingham were actually relegated !

Anyone who expects a top six finish as well as reasonable cup runs is (IMHO) way overly optimistic !

The manager and players are doing their best but given that we are playing up to 3 times a week we have to be realistic ! No doubt we will have high spots and low spots in the coming months and I can live with that !

Unfortunately the overreaction on this forum to any defeat can be embarrassing (verging on moronic !) and really gets me down at times, I suppose I should ignore it but for some reason I keep coming back !

Grrr....

History tells you that playing on Sunday following a Europa league match on Thursday has an effect. Newcastle, Everton, Fulham and Swansea all suffered, Wigan and Birmingham were actually relegated !

Anyone who expects a top six finish as well as reasonable cup runs is (IMHO) way overly optimistic !

The manager and players are doing their best but given that we are playing up to 3 times a week we have to be realistic ! No doubt we will have high spots and low spots in the coming months and I can live with that !

Unfortunately the overreaction on this forum to any defeat can be embarrassing (verging on moronic !) and really gets me down at times, I suppose I should ignore it but for some reason I keep coming back !

Grrr....

Very good post

Grrr....

Spot on, though this is the first game where the hangover has really shown. I've been very impressed by our recovery from midweek games, with that 1-1 against City, 3-0 over West Ham, 1-0 over Swansea. A point at Leicester was good too, and we played with plenty of energy.

We had to dig deep against Inter, and I'd imagine it was tiring mentally and emotionally as well as physically. However, I do worry today was complacency as much as or more than tiredness, basking in the Inter victory and strolling into a game against poor opposition, strolling into a 1-0 lead...

Edited by DuncanRG

Any way you look at it, that was a bad loss. We needed more of the aggression and purpose we saw in the second half on Thursday after the first goal today to press home the advantage.

And the obvious lack of a cutting edge is getting serious. I hoped JRod would return to form, but he hasn't, or Long would find his shooting boots, but he hasn't, or Boufal would prove what a good buy he was, but he reminds me of Gaston.

The midfield provides little goal threat and we've relied on a solid defence, which now isn't so solid.

Hope we get players back from injury after the break (and no more injuries!). We've got a tough run coming up.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Sorry are we all meant to be pleased?

Not at all. It's just that I find the 'sky is falling in' 'our season is over' mentality that some have rather tiresome. Usually from those that only really post on here in quantity when we lose, as if to simply wind things up. You hit the nail on the head in an earlier post when you said that we went into the season a striker light. Not a lot we can do until January. A reasoned judgement I would say and one based on a bit of thought and not part of some self-centered wind-up/trolling.

Nope not me pal, but when you make such a bold and stupid statement then let's see if he's a man of his word eh!

Don't hold your breath mate. We're still waiting for him to post evidence of him eating his own faeces after he promised he would do it if we qualified for the playoffs in 2007.

One thing everyone seems to forget after a horrible afternoon like this one. It's football. It's the premier league. Every single game can go either way. There's a ton of luck in the game. Anyone watching that would know that Saints by far the better team. If you replayed the game 10 times we'd win 6 and draw 2-3. Yes, we were low on chances today, but that hasn't overall been a feature of our season. You can't create a whole narrative about how feeble our transfer policy/board/Puel are based on one game. If anything, the result shows how hard it is to manage Europa + premier league. Puel and the team have been trying hard to juggle both. It doesn't always work. But often it will. Watch for a thrilling match against Liverpool. We'll bounce back.

6 shots on target one cleared off the line in injury time shows despite being knackered Saints could have come away with 3 points !!

It's disappointing but more to do with playing in europe this season IMO

Why would we be knackered? Its only the start of November and most players have been rested a fair bit so far already. Edited by Sour Mash

Not at all. It's just that I find the 'sky is falling in' 'our season is over' mentality that some have rather tiresome. Usually from those that only really post on here in quantity when we lose, as if to simply wind things up. You hit the nail on the head in an earlier post when you said that we went into the season a striker light. Not a lot we can do until January. A reasoned judgement I would say and one based on a bit of thought and not part of some self-centered wind-up/trolling.

Yea I agree that the "sky is falling" in posters are plain stupid, but everyone has different ways of handling defeat. I can be quite irrational for a spell until I calm down and sober up. Also I think posters, or some of them, just let off steam, while others don't feel the need. I would have taken beating Milan and losing today at the start of the week, so I can't moan, but I still feel this season could be a memorable one had we been more adventurous in the last window and that is frustrating me.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

We definitely looked tired, too many games in a row on 3 days rest. Bad breaks on some shots. One cleared off the line, a few diving saves made on Austin, and other chances just missed. They have 2 goals on 3 SOG's (something like that). Matches like this happen.