Forster

Edmonton Saint

In the last 6 games we have now conceded a goal from the oppositions first shot on target( and in many cases the only shot on target in the match). On some occasions like today and last Sunday we have conceded from the first two shots on target.. This is getting a bit worrying for me as a keeper is in the side to make saves and this is something Forster seems to struggle to do( one clean sheet in 13 home games now) This inability to keep any opposition shots out and the lack of cutting edge up front is the reason we are going to be in a mid-lower table scrap this season. If McCarthy wasn't injured, I'd be pushing for him to start for a while.

Forster has to take the blame for most goals scored against us. He's been shocking, slow reactions and really poor, even with his goalkicks. Dave Watkins doesn't seem to be addressing the problems. In fact our goalkeepers seem to losing their previous strong points.

Important to identify goals where he might have done better. Doesn't matter if it's the opposition's first or 50th shot if there's nothing he could do to stop it.

He has made a couple of big saves this year, but could have done better for one or two. Only thing that really bothers me is his reluctance to come off his line. That'll cost us at some point.

Important to identify goals where he might have done better. Doesn't matter if it's the opposition's first or 50th shot if there's nothing he could do to stop it.

He has made a couple of big saves this year, but could have done better for one or two. Only thing that really bothers me is his reluctance to come off his line. That'll cost us at some point.

It's already cost. Bournemouth away last season sticks out.

He's a top ten keeper for a top ten team. No better or worse than that. It's been a common theme of his Saints career that the opposition don't need many shots on target to beat him.

He's a good organiser and presence, though, and that shouldn't be discounted among the many clean sheets he's kept where he's had nothing to do.

My bugbear with Forster is how poor he is in coming off his line and how many goals seem to be conceded without him so much as bothering to put a dive in. It's probably not the case, but it feels at times like he's only ever going to make saves if the shots are straight at him.

Fraser just seems to be a bit static in his overall play. Granted he's never been the quickest off his line but given his size, he doesn't seem to command his area that well either. Thought some of his play last season was really good but seems to have gone backwards this season by comparison. Just seems out of sorts to me.

Edited by Strangely Brown

He's never really been a keeper that you think " how the **** did he save that " ( except Arsenal away last year) , equally he never makes complete howlers. I always seem to think " could be have got that" , with nearly every goal he lets in. I'm sure he couldn't have done , but he does look pretty static when he lets one in . His peno attempts are woeful as well . The thing you can never tell unless you're a top pro or coach is how many efforts are missed or screwed up because he's such a big bloke who fills up the goal.Because of this its maybe best to go with our keeper coach who has a good reputation in the game. If Watson rates him, that's good enough for me.

I like FF as he's a model pro and decent guy, but I must admit that there are doubts surrounding him. As the OP suggests, he seems to be letting a lot of shots passed him and I don't recall many matches where he's made a string of saves (Arsenal away last season is the only one that springs to mind) unlike say Tom Heaton, who must surely be ahead of him in the England pecking order now.

I agree that his lack of coming off his line to deal with through balls etc. is also worrying, he almost seems glued to the goal-line at times! Let's hope that he discovers some form again soon and comes good, but I don't think he'll ever be a top-draw goalie unfortunately.

He is too big a unit to get down to the ground quickly, also if he were to have just stood still for the last 3 penalties against us he could have caught them.instead, he moves left or right about a second before the ball is even kicked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree I've not been impressed with him this season, other English keepers Heaton and Pick fords

Should have said other English keepers have looked better. We need him to find form for the Liverpool game as he'll be facing a lot of low hard shots (worth a tenner on Courtinho to score anytime)

Forster has managed it before I recall a superb performance at Arsenal but it's been a while since he's been a match winner and whenever we concede a penalty you know he'll get nowhere near it.

I like the look of Mccarthy so at least we have a decent back up once he is fit.

I like FF as he's a model pro and decent guy, but I must admit that there are doubts surrounding him. As the OP suggests, he seems to be letting a lot of shots passed him and I don't recall many matches where he's made a string of saves (Arsenal away last season is the only one that springs to mind) unlike say Tom Heaton, who must surely be ahead of him in the England pecking order now.

I agree that his lack of coming off his line to deal with through balls etc. is also worrying, he almost seems glued to the goal-line at times! Let's hope that he discovers some form again soon and comes good, but I don't think he'll ever be a top-draw goalie unfortunately.

FFS, engage your brain.

Burnley are a worse team than us who will face far more shots against them and finish lower than us. I guarantee you this.

We are very good at managing the amount of decent chances we concede so you are unlikely to see Forster, or any other Saints GK at the moment, make a "string of saves" in many matches.

Lets not suffer from bad memory here, Forster is an excellent keeper and been doing a great job in the past for us. That said, obviously he's not been at his best so far this season.

I'm sure he can find his form again. A much bigger concern is that we're scoring too few goal rather than let some in now and then.

We are very good at managing the amount of decent chances we concede so you are unlikely to see Forster, or any other Saints GK at the moment, make a "string of saves" in many matches.

While I agree with this statement, I would at least like to see Forster making 'some' unexpected saves from time to time. But he just doesn't.

Look at the two goals Hull scored yesterday. Neither of them were unstoppable, right-in-the-corner screamers, but Forster got nowhere near either of them. The second one it looked like he didn't even make a proper attempt at a dive. It's not the first time this season either. It seems that any half decent shot on target at the moment is more than likely to go in.

He's a very big chap, and while that may be of benefit in some situations, perhaps he's just too heavy and not agile enough to make the kind of 'worldy' saves that other keepers make.

Serious question - can anybody actually remember the last time you found yourself saying something along the lines of 'Brilliant save Fraser'. Arsenal away last season I think it was for me, and that's worrying when he's supposed to be an international keeper.

While I agree with this statement, I would at least like to see Forster making 'some' unexpected saves from time to time. But he just doesn't.

Look at the two goals Hull scored yesterday. Neither of them were unstoppable, right-in-the-corner screamers, but Forster got nowhere near either of them. The second one it looked like he didn't even make a proper attempt at a dive. It's not the first time this season either. It seems that any half decent shot on target at the moment is more than likely to go in.

He's a very big chap, and while that may be of benefit in some situations, perhaps he's just too heavy and not agile enough to make the kind of 'worldy' saves that other keepers make.

Serious question - can anybody actually remember the last time you found yourself saying something along the lines of 'Brilliant save Fraser'. Arsenal away last season I think it was for me, and that's worrying when he's supposed to be an international keeper.

pretty sure he made a very good save against Burnley

Gets down slowly to shots, doesn't command his box and is slow off his line.

He's not a bad keeper, but wouldn't say he's one of the best around either.

This lacks of saves argument has come up before with Gazza and Stek - we must have one of the highest shots to goals conceded ratio's over the last 2-3 seasons.

Forster has to take the blame for most goals scored against us. He's been shocking, slow reactions and really poor, even with his goalkicks. Dave Watkins doesn't seem to be addressing the problems. In fact our goalkeepers seem to losing their previous strong points.

Bl00dy Dave Watkins. If Dave Watkins is still at the club after the international break I will not be happy!

Ooh, look at this, the same criticisms Stekelenburg was getting last year - who incidentally was the best keeper in the League in the first month with Everton and has since been stuck behind a defence that doesn't protect him again with identical results.

Forster needs to come off his line more quickly on occasion and is a tiny bit dodgy at getting down to stuff in the corner sometimes, but he's excellent overall, not getting dropped and he doesn't deserve to be. We keep getting beaten by "first shots" because teams happen to be sticking their chances away. For all the skill involved, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Marshall made a few decent saves, but Hull also cleared a ball from their goal-line which bounced off a Saints player in the 6-yard box and looped over the bar - no keeper was stopping that one and all his work would have been undone from a fluke he had no control over - that's just the nature of it.

Edited by The9

I think two things need to be looked at:

1) As someone stated we have the 3rd/5th least goals conceded record in the league. Whether that means our defending is top notch, we aggressively close down, or another reason, it likley means that either an exceptional shot OR set piece is required to score against us.

2) Base the fact when Steck was in goal with pretty much the same defense our goals scored against was much worse (I dont have the numbers to hand).

Either way Forster is still an integral part of a strong defensive unit, who are dealing with more and more games, and also a changing back four.

What I think is more concerning is our ability to convert. We have the fourth highest shots on target, but yet struggle to actually score them. Do we have issues with shot placement, do we just hit straight at the keeper. I think its this problem which needs addressing more than the defense.

We are better at snuffing out half-chances so it seems when we do concede a shot on target it often goes in. Half of the shots that Heaton has saved are shots we would have prevented from happening with decent defending.

Points about being glued to line and sometimes to slow to get down to shots are valid points though.

He's going through one of his 'invisible' phases. Rest him for a few games. Thought he could have done better with their 2nd yesterday (ie take another step before diving), but he certainly has issues getting down quickly

It is his kicking that worries me the most. He really is poor at that and inevitably gives possession away. Steak in this regard was brilliant. Mind you Frasers ball skills mean that Pep will never sign him, so that is one club off the list. I agree his form is not the best at the moment, and he is spilling more shots than he should, but I emphasise form here. He is capable, although I think some other teams have worked out he is vulnerable to shots low down close to his body.

It is his kicking that worries me the most.

This is his worst attribute (along with coming off his line) and yet it barely ever costs us.

Comparatively we have far more issues than Forster. He is a key player and one of the top 5 or 6 in the league in his position.

If we had a striker anywhere near that we would be excellent.

Yeah he's always been slightly overrated by many IMO

Slow off his line, stays on his line too often, kicking not great, doesn't dominate the area (which he should given his size). His main attribute was his shot stopping and even that hasn't been there this season. I think our defence cover up for a lot of his inabilities. I like him but he isn't 'top 10' premier league standard as a few have stated

Cant believe this thread or the negative Fraser reaction. ffs grow up

I'm not one to get in individual players backs but in recent weeks FF's form does seem to of dipped.

It happens, accepted. It wasn't so long ago he was keeping clean sheets week in week out so I'm not panicking.

I'm not one to get in individual players backs but in recent weeks FF's form does seem to of dipped.

It happens, accepted. It wasn't so long ago he was keeping clean sheets week in week out so I'm not panicking.

Agreed, no need to panic. Puel was clearly disappointed with FFs distribution at the Inter game, particularly in the 2nd half.

• 2 weeks later...