Saints vs Liverpool - Build Up

Lighthouse

hear hear, can't stand the little judas rat and hope he gets a torrent of abuse on Sat like he deserves. Last game was bit too timid as I recall, hopefully won't be the same this time and he will crumble under the pressure.

He didn't get any abuse in the first game because he didn't get near the ball for most of the game, same story the second time. The third time they stuffed us so everyone was a bit quiet. The "shrug" to the Northam after the League Cup game last season should get him lined up for a ton more abuse, but people have short memories.

He didn't get any abuse in the first game because he didn't get near the ball for most of the game, same story the second time. The third time they stuffed us so everyone was a bit quiet. The "shrug" to the Northam after the League Cup game last season should get him lined up for a ton more abuse, but people have short memories.

I certainly hope so. If I remember rightly, his sister was rather smug on twitter after the 6-1 defeat.

Being an absolute cun* must run in the family.

I'd go with

------------Forster------------

Cedric--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

------------Romeu------------

----Hojbjerg--------Davis----

Redmond---Austin------Tadic

Doubt it, more likely

Martina--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

----Clasie--------Davis----

Redmond---Austin------Boufal

Reasoning:

Cedric not match fit;

Holberg is an attack MF not defensive, need to stop their pacey runs so Clasie;

Tadic rested to recuperate (maybe 15/20 mins if we are still in it).

Can someone help me, basically I have a windows Nokia Lumia phone 930. However it will not allow me to have access to any of the videos and I'm signed in on the os with my username and password. Does anyone else have similar issues?

You bought the phone from an antiques shop?

We will need to score goals to win this & at least two, I just don't see us doing that at the moment especially against a flying Liverpool side, mane will score against us it's inevitable

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This is gearing up to be a vintage saints win imo. I worry more about our arrogant displays against the lesser teams.

I just see their tempo/high-press causing us BIG problems.

Even if Lallana/Coutinho missing, Mane/Firmino/Sturridge will be a nightmare.

Need to take our chances tomorrow.

If fit......

----------Forster-----

Cedric-Fonte-VVD-Bertrand

-----------Romeu-----------

--------Davis---PEH

-Redmond----------Tadic

------------Austin-----------

Subs. GK, Yoshida, Mcqueen, Clasie, JWP, Boufal, Jay Rod/Long

Doubt it, more likely

Martina--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

----Clasie--------Davis----

Redmond---Austin------Boufal

Reasoning:

Cedric not match fit;

Holberg is an attack MF not defensive, need to stop their pacey runs so Clasie;

Tadic rested to recuperate (maybe 15/20 mins if we are still in it).

I'd go with

Cedric--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

----Hojbjerg--------Davis----

Redmond---Austin------Tadic

I think this in essence highlights a problem.

Our fan base understand where the front three should be playing, Puel doesn't. We all have Redmond on the right and Tadic on the left (Austin central ) for 433. If Boufal plays it should be left, so once again agreed. And if Rodriguez plays it should be on the left. The main one for me is Tadic. He is so much more effective on the left than the right.

I laughed that a couple of posters have put a template for a diamond 442 (which we certainly aren't playing). It's a 4321/433 no doubt.

My team is

---------Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

----------Romeu

-----Clasie------Davis

--Redmond-Austin-Rodriguez

My game plan is to try to hit Liverpool on the counter. Liverpool are going to be pressing high, looking to be on the front foot. I think Rodriguez in particular might get space to get in behind. Palace looked extremely dangerous on the break against them.

Edited by FriendlySaint
typo.I meant 4321

Our fan base understand where the front three should be playing, Puel doesn't. We all have Redmond on the right and Tadic on the left (Austin central ) for 433. If Boufal plays it should be left, so once again agreed. And if Rodriguez plays it should be on the left. The main one for me is Tadic. He is so much more effective on the left than the right.

I laughed that a couple of posters have put a template for a diamond 442 (which we certainly aren't playing). It's a 4321/433 no doubt.

My team is

---------Forster

----------Romeu

-----Clasie------Davis

My game plan is to try to hit Liverpool on the counter. Liverpool are going to be pressing high, looking to be on the front foot. I think Rodriguez in particular might get space to get in behind. Palace looked extremely dangerous on the break against them.

Liverpool beat palace 2-4. Pardew put that down, in part, to palace sitting back and allowing Liverpool to attack. The point is Liverpool are strong in attack and much weaker in defence. Putting as much pressure as possible on their defence seems like a sensible game plan, especially if a Lallana and Coutinho are out.

Attack, Attack, Attack would seem the best policy for this one. We all know LFC are good at going forward/in and around the opponents box but not so when needed to defend - no surprises given the midfield and attackers they have are in the main attack minded. We still might not have enough but it'll be a good game!

My team is

---------Forster

----------Romeu

-----Clasie------Davis

Is this an appropriate game to be giving Rodriguez some match practice? The way he looks at the moment, I can't see him getting in behind any defence.

Is this an appropriate game to be giving Rodriguez some match practice? The way he looks at the moment, I can't see him getting in behind any defence.

Apart from in Milan where he did on about 5 different occasions..... Unfortunately for him, he could finish or find that bit of quality in the final 3rd.

Liverpool beat palace 2-4. Pardew put that down, in part, to palace sitting back and allowing Liverpool to attack. The point is Liverpool are strong in attack and much weaker in defence. Putting as much pressure as possible on their defence seems like a sensible game plan, especially if a Lallana and Coutinho are out.

I'm not suggesting sitting back. Liverpool are relentless. We are probably going to be on the back foot because of how they play. Only slightly though and I reckon we will have a chance to counter in an open game. I'm not suggesting sitting back on purpose. I'm talking about giving ourselves the best chance of hitting them on the counter constantly in an open game.

Apart from in Milan where he did on about 5 different occasions..... Unfortunately for him, he could finish or find that bit of quality in the final 3rd.

Ok, we opened them up and he was in space, but when people say "getting in behind", it makes me think of either outsprinting the defence to latch on to a ball or dribbling past them. Not sure Rodriguez did either of those. If it was just his finishing that was lacking then I'd see it as a confidence issue, and would be optimistic about him regaining form. While I haven't lost hope entirely, it's more concerning that he looks heavy legged and lacking any sort of sharpness (which may be down to lack of match fitness, but equally may be a permanent result of his injury).

Ok, we opened them up and he was in space, but when people say "getting in behind", it makes me think of either outsprinting the defence to latch on to a ball or dribbling past them. Not sure Rodriguez did either of those. If it was just his finishing that was lacking then I'd see it as a confidence issue, and would be optimistic about him regaining form. While I haven't lost hope entirely, it's more concerning that he looks heavy legged and lacking any sort of sharpness (which may be down to lack of match fitness, but equally may be a permanent result of his injury).

Inter parked the bus against us with a deep line. Liverpool will most likely play a very high line.

Jay is a player who thrives on confidence, you can tell he's unsure as he seems to want to take an extra touch etc. I remember when he first joined us and it took him until the Spurs home game to notch his first goal, he grew from that and gained confidence. He's a streaky player, can go on runs of 6 games with a goal and then back that up with 6 without.

Jay is a player who thrives on confidence, you can tell he's unsure as he seems to want to take an extra touch etc. I remember when he first joined us and it took him until the Spurs home game to notch his first goal, he grew from that and gained confidence. He's a streaky player, can go on runs of 6 games with a goal and then back that up with 6 without.

So you think the only difference between Jrod then and now is confidence?

So you think the only difference between Jrod then and now is confidence?

I think the biggest difference is Poch. He generally got the best of out our players and is so at Tottenham it seems. Personally I think this was due to the confidence he gives players.

Who knows what would have happened had JRod not been injured (probably wouldn't still be here now), but I doubt he would have been the same player he was under Pochettino. Look at Lallana and Lovren under Rodgers compared to Poch or Klopp.

We are going to get smashed 4-1 :)

I think we may well do if we insist on playing it out short from the back. We'll screw up under their high pressing and gift them a goal or two.

Tomorrow is a game to go long and attack them quickly before they can get numbers back. Come on Claude, prove that we can play in a different way to the lumbering, slow, boring sideways backwards style we seem to be adapting :(

I'm not suggesting sitting back. Liverpool are relentless. We are probably going to be on the back foot because of how they play. Only slightly though and I reckon we will have a chance to counter in an open game. I'm not suggesting sitting back on purpose. I'm talking about giving ourselves the best chance of hitting them on the counter constantly in an open game.

Sounds like we're perfectly set up to play that way already to me.

Did he imply that if Dortmund bought Mané, they would not sell him that cheap? I believe that Mané's next step will be Barcaleona or Real Madrid and his transfer fee will be higher than that of Suarez or Bale.

Dortmund are a bigger, richer and more prestigious club than Saints and the kind of club you can jump straight to Real/Barcelona from, so probably true.

I assume there is no confirmation yet that Lallana and Courtinho are actually out?

Has Forster featured in any of the training photos?

I hate Liverpool, their glory hunting fans stuck in the 80s, our mercenary players who leave to play there, the needy victim status which characteristics sum up the whole city , state funded cruise terminal built to take business from Southampton , would love to win this but unfortunately I don't think we are strong enough.

Klopp (sort of) admits they got Mané for cheap from Southampton:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/18/jurgen-klopp-dortmund-sadio-mane-mistake-liverpool

Suggesting that he was being sold cheap, as many did, was received with ridicule by many on this forum. From what I've seen of Pool this season Mane is the ignition for most of their attacking play, just as he was for us. If we can keep him quiet Saints are a chance.

I assume there is no confirmation yet that Lallana and Courtinho are actually out?

Has Forster featured in any of the training photos?

I hate Liverpool, their glory hunting fans stuck in the 80s, our mercenary players who leave to play there, the needy victim status which characteristics sum up the whole city , state funded cruise terminal built to take business from Southampton , would love to win this but unfortunately I don't think we are strong enough.

there is a bit of video from Thursday with Forster kicking a ball around.

Suggesting that he was being sold cheap, as many did, was received with ridicule by many on this forum. From what I've seen of Pool this season Mane is the ignition for most of their attacking play, just as he was for us. If we can keep him quiet Saints are a chance.

Klopp isn't saying we sold him cheap, and we didn't. Just whining saps on here say we sold him cheap.

Even if he scores 55 goals this season it still doesn't mean we sold him cheap, we didn't.