Hampshire CCC 2017 Season

Weston Saint

Went to the game yesterday. Whoever decided that we should bat first needs their head examining. Rain overnight, humid morning but with a good forecast for the rest of the day. That's screaming out to bowl first, especially having failed to defend 330 the other night. I wonder if the Glamorgan game was playing on their minds.

It's also pretty evident that we've still got a weak white ball attack. Abbott's great but I'm not sure he's really a great white ball bowler. Dawson was tidy as ever but Edwards and Crane looked unthreatening. Unfortunately with those two you are going to leak runs and if the ball's not doing much, you're onto a hiding for nothing. They could have chased 370 yesterday, let alone 270.

As for the batting, the first hour and a half was embarrassing. Fair play to Bailey and Abbott for saving face. The less said about Vince, Alsop and McManus' shots the better. I really want to give the youngsters a chance but McManus has to be the weakest one-day keeper batsman in the group. I don't know about their various fitness/health issues but Carberry and Topley have to find a way into the side.

Shambles

First, we were without one of our strike bowlers when Fidel went off with a shoulder injury and unlikely bowl again this match. Secondly the ball went soft and slightly out of shape so less effective.

Much better today so far. All out having only added 117 for 8 wickets.

Now we have to back it up with our batting!

So it looks like we're going to lose this game because of our first day bowling performance, soft ball or whatever.

We really have to find a solution to our inefficient bowling against old stick in the muds like Cooke and Ballance because we'll not get another get out of jail card again this season.

Correction: First line should read We have lost this game.....

Ian Holland playing for 2nds

Last game 192 for 2nds against Kent

Few weeks ago in 2nds against Essex 5/46, 109, 4/90, 89 and at the beginning of the season 4/29

He was in the squad of 13 but they seem to have bottled it.

Wasn't he pretty awful when he got some first team experience during the RLC games ?

For me the big disappointment is Topley, he was a real prospect when we signed him a couple of years back but he just doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same player since his season long injury.

Edited by Window Cleaner

As someone remarked the other day, we have suddenly become a shambles. Can't bat and can't bowl.

OK so maybe we can bowl a bit. Wicket must be pretty tricky down at Taunton, probably explains why we chose to bat first on it, didn't want to get caught on a potato patch batting 4th.

Epic win, well bowled chaps.

Oh and well done to the batsmen who managed to make 293 on what must have been a turnip field yesterday.

Obviously a wicket that turned excessively to advantage their bowlers backfired on them and left a potential bank holiday crowd tomorrow with nothing to watch. Might they get a sanction for that?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Epic win, well bowled chaps.

Oh and well done to the batsmen who managed to make 293 on what must have been a turnip field yesterday.

Obviously a wicket that turned excessively to advantage their bowlers backfired on them and left a potential bank holiday crowd tomorrow with nothing to watch. Might they get a sanction for that?

Indeed. Great win down there - things are looking up.

So Warks at the Rose Bowl today. No Vince or Dawson because they're with the England Lions just now. Is that really necessary? Really? Is it some sort of invented measure to even up between counties with internationals and those without.

Carberry gone already, Adams not off the mark having faced 12 balls. Looks like it could be down to Rossouw and Bailey because with Ervine down to bat at 5 it's not looking very solid after them.

And it goes from bad to worse, Rossouw and Bailey are now both back in the pavilion and we're 32/3, why do we elect to bat each time and find ourselves in ridiculous positions. We'll not do a "Taunton" every time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

So Warks at the Rose Bowl today. No Vince or Dawson because they're with the England Lions just now. Is that really necessary? Really? Is it some sort of invented measure to even up between counties with internationals and those without.

Carberry gone already, Adams not off the mark having faced 12 balls. Looks like it could be down to Rossouw and Bailey because with Ervine down to bat at 5 it's not looking very solid after them.

And it goes from bad to worse, Rossouw and Bailey are now both back in the pavilion and we're 32/3, why do we elect to bat each time and find ourselves in ridiculous positions. We'll not do a "Taunton" every time.

Only 14 CC1 matches and they can't schedule Lions matches in between? Shows what a joke domestic cricket is. Also not allowing substitutes if someone is injured.

I'm looking at the team & I see Ian Holland. Never heard of him. Click on his link. F*ck me another Australian...he's 26..and he's played 1 first class game! I'm sorry..I don't care if the guy score two hundreds and takes 20 wickets...that's just a ****take.

250 run partnership so far for Adams (102) and Ervine (157).

Can we dare to dream that Hampshire might even win the Championship? The bookies currentky have us priced as 4th favourites at 13/2. Win this one and we'll be in pole position and those odds will shorten.

Can we dare to dream that Hampshire might even win the Championship? The bookies currentky have us priced as 4th favourites at 13/2. Win this one and we'll be in pole position and those odds will shorten.

With only 8 teams and 2 going down, and not much to choose between most of them, it's not inconceivable that a team could go into the last match with a chance of being champions if they win, and relegated if they lose. :?

Mason Crane and Liam Dawson are both included in the England T20 squad for next weeks 3 games v. South Africa. the first one on June 21st at the Rose Bowl.

Nice for them, but it leaves Hampshire seriously short of spin options next Monday at Old Trafford in our next 4 day game. This is offset by Lancs captain and only run scorer, Liam Livingstone, also selected.

Cue whinge from our resident "French Critic". ;)

Mason Crane and Liam Dawson are both included in the England T20 squad for next weeks 3 games v. South Africa. the first one on June 21st at the Rose Bowl.

Nice for them, but it leaves Hampshire seriously short of spin options next Monday at Old Trafford in our next 4 day game. This is offset by Lancs captain and only run scorer, Liam Livingstone, also selected.

Cue whinge from our resident "French Critic". ;)

We have Brad Taylor as another spin option. Lets not forget Ervins as well:)