Hampshire CCC 2017 Season

Weston Saint

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/cricket/hampshire_cricket/15176954.CRICKET__Hants_overseas_star_to_miss_first_four_matches/?ref=mac

Hampshire overseas signing George Bailey will miss the start of the season - to get married.

The Australian, who had a brief spell with Hampshire in 2013, re-signed on a two-year deal in November.

He will miss Hampshire’s first three Specsavers County Championship matches, against Yorkshire at Headingley (April 7-10) and the Ageas Bowl (April 21-24) either side of a visit from champions Middlesex (April 14-17).

Bailey will also be unavailable for the Royal London One-Day Cup opener against Kent at Canterbury on April 27.

:mcinnes:

All set for the season with a strong line up

Openers

Michael Carberry (Left)

Jimmy Adams (Left)

Tom Alsop (Left)

Upper Order Batsmen

James Vince (Right)

Rilee Rossouw (Left)

Will Smith (Right)

George Bailey (Right)

Sean Ervine (Left)

All Rounders

Liam Dawson (Right bat – Slow left arm)

Asher Hart (Right bat – right medium)

Gareth Berg (Right bat – right medium fast)

Wicket Keepers

Lewis McManus (Right) (Alsop is a Wicket Keeper to cover)

Bowlers

Fidel Edwards (Right Hand Fast)

Kyle Abbott (Right Fast Medium)

Reece Topley (Left Medium Fast)

Brad Wheal (Right Fast Medium)

Ryan Stevenson (Right Fast Medium)

Mason Crane (Leg Break)

Brad Taylor (Right off-break)

Chris Wood (Left medium) Injured shoulder at present

All with the squad except Fidel Edward who is returning tomorrow and George Bailey who will arrive after his wedding and misses the first 3 Championship games.

My only concern is our three openers are all left handed. Good middle order and bowling mix.

Opening game against Yorkshire next week!

Adams

Carberry (Alsop has not been in form so I would give him time to get his form back)

Vince

Rossouw

Dawson

Ervine

McManus

Berg

Abbott

Topley

Edwards

Do not think we need a spinner at Leeds and Topley will give us left hand bowling alternative.

What do others think?

Openers

Michael Carberry (Left)

Jimmy Adams (Left)

Tom Alsop (Left)

Upper Order Batsmen

James Vince (Right)

Rilee Rossouw (Left)

Will Smith (Right)

George Bailey (Right)

Sean Ervine (Left)

All Rounders

Wicket Keepers

Bowlers

Mason Crane (Leg Break)

All with the squad except Fidel Edward who is returning tomorrow and George Bailey who will arrive after his wedding and misses the first 3 Championship games.

My only concern is our three openers are all left handed. Good middle order and bowling mix.

Adams

Carberry (Alsop has not been in form so I would give him time to get his form back)

Vince

Rossouw

Dawson

Ervine

McManus

Berg

Abbott

Topley

Edwards

Do not think we need a spinner at Leeds and Topley will give us left hand bowling alternative.

What do others think?

Whilst rejoicing at his return, is Carbs up for 4 day matches so soon?

Maybe Will Smith to open initially, so there's your right/left option?

Whilst rejoicing at his return, is Carbs up for 4 day matches so soon?

Maybe Will Smith to open initially, so there's your right/left option?

At the Forum today they seemed to suggest Carbs would be fine to play.

I don't think Topley has done a huge amount of bowling this preseason so think they will be careful with him initially. Wheal was in good form late last season and could get early chances.

Openers

Michael Carberry (Left)

Jimmy Adams (Left)

Tom Alsop (Left)

Upper Order Batsmen

James Vince (Right)

Rilee Rossouw (Left)

Will Smith (Right)

George Bailey (Right)

Sean Ervine (Left)

All Rounders

Wicket Keepers

Bowlers

Mason Crane (Leg Break)

Adams

Vince

Rossouw

Dawson

Ervine

McManus

Berg

Abbott

Topley

Edwards

What do others think?

Do you think we'll gamble with both Topley and Edwards given they've not bowled much pre-season? I'd say Wheal is more likely to play.

Also, who drops out when Bailey gets back? Adams looks the most likely but then does Dawson or Roussow open?

Do you think we'll gamble with both Topley and Edwards given they've not bowled much pre-season? I'd say Wheal is more likely to play.

Also, who drops out when Bailey gets back? Adams looks the most likely but then does Dawson or Roussow open?

Roussow has opened before in his career - good to have options.

Topley didnt bowl today and didnt seem to appear in any of the Barbados matches either so will be interesting to see if he does tomorrow at Hove. Either way he must be unlikely to play the first Championship game. I reckon he will be eased back in the 50 over comp as isnt reliable enough fitness wise over 4 days.

No sign of Topley during the MCCU game or either of the games at Hove so can rule him out for the Yorkshire game.

Looks like Edwards has picked up an injury this morning too, had to be replaced mid over.

Usual drivel with the bat after getting back into the game well after lunch.

How much longer does Adams get?

In fact it looks like same old,same old.Good start,had them at 152/7, the long tail wag gives them a reasonable total and then

Adams and Vince fail with the bat early on exposing the middle order long before it should be exposed.

So 320 to win in 2 days then, someone tell Vince that he doesn't need to get them all in the first over...

If they bat sensibly (big if) then we have a chance...great bowling effort today.

Even if we lose as is likely, it is clear we are a better bowling team than last year which would represent some consolation.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Middlesex looking fairly solid at the moment. Wonder how we'd have done with a fully fit Edwards this innings though. Middlesex collapse after lunch and win by 6 wickets coming up.

Think we probably would have won if Fidel played the whole game

But draw with the Champions is not a bad result we are currently second in the Table

Good start, lots of signs of hope. But I wonder if Vince will last the season as captain or even be worth his place in the team. A talent unfulfilled is always a sadness and we've had too many of those: Bates, Briggs, Woods. Come on you Hawks

Good start, lots of signs of hope. But I wonder if Vince will last the season as captain or even be worth his place in the team. A talent unfulfilled is always a sadness and we've had too many of those: Bates, Briggs, Woods. Come on you Hawks

George Bailey takes over as 4 day skipper after the next match. So put your Voodoo Doll away.

Topley set to play tomorrow and hopefully bowl his first ball for Hants First XI.

I think Root and Bairstow are available for Yorkshire so will be a tough game. Hants missing Roussouw also, who is replaced by Alsop.

Went to first two days of Middlesex game. Abbott bowled very well on first morning for no reward. Was reasonably impressed with Wheal who perhaps needs a touch more control but looks quick and dangerous. Carberry was leaving well. Gutted he didn't make his 100. Much more positive to date.

It's a pity that slow scoring at the top of the order puts such pressure on the no.8 batsman to score an extra bonus point that he gets run out.

Could it be that the wicket isn't any too easy this morning? I mean you'd not think that getting 70ish from about 25 overs would be any too hard would you, but it seems that we got pinned down by some pretty tidy bowling this morning. We'll see what happens when Abbott and Topley get at it eh.

New ball due in 19 overs. If we can get a couple early so they are 5 down when the new ball arrives we have a great chance of forcing a result.

We'll see but right now the match seems to be slipping away again, same as last Monday really.

Or maybe not, got that elusive first wicket of the day, unfortunately it's not Ballance.

Ah well, still a good start to the season though. A win and two nearly wins. Makes a change from hoping for rain to save us as at times last season.

Imagine if Edwards hadn't got injured. A 3-0 start would have been a possibility, against arguably the two best teams.

And what is it with Saints, and now Hants, with injuries? :?