Hampshire CCC 2017 Season

Weston Saint

Middlesex are comfortably below us and also won't get anything out of this game, so I think we'll be fine. We've also still got to play Warwickshire, who look utterly hopeless and just want the season to end. They could be relegated this week depending on how the other games finish.

You're probably right, I'm still traumatised by Worcestershire stealing the County Championship from us in '74 when our game against Yorks got totally rained off and they had a shady 1 day slog game on the 3rd day and got 10 points.

You're probably right, I'm still traumatised by Worcestershire stealing the County Championship from us in '74 when our game against Yorks got totally rained off and they had a shady 1 day slog game on the 3rd day and got 10 points.

You Bar Steward!! Fancy making me relive that having forgotten about it for the last ....... week or so. :scared:

It was worse than that. Worcester played at Essex. Won the toss, bowled and managed to bowl them out and get 4 bonus points. There was no play on days 2 & 3 so they beat us by 2 points.

Not only was the Yorkshire game rained of, but the last day of the Somerset match, which preceded it. We were about to win that by an innings. A fact confirmed to me, over a beer, that day by I.T. Botham.

What really rankled was Norman Gifford coming on the radio and saying that whilst he was sorry for us, Worcester deserved to win the title. Conveniently forgetting that we had stuffed them a few weeks earlier, by a innings, in 2 days. :x:x:x

I am in no way a bitter person, but I still regard Worcester with the same contempt I give to The Skates and cold callers.

You Bar Steward!! Fancy making me relive that having forgotten about it for the last ....... week or so. :scared:

It was worse than that. Worcester played at Essex. Won the toss, bowled and managed to bowl them out and get 4 bonus points. There was no play on days 2 & 3 so they beat us by 2 points.

Not only was the Yorkshire game rained of, but the last day of the Somerset match, which preceded it. We were about to win that by an innings. A fact confirmed to me, over a beer, that day by I.T. Botham.

What really rankled was Norman Gifford coming on the radio and saying that whilst he was sorry for us, Worcester deserved to win the title. Conveniently forgetting that we had stuffed them a few weeks earlier, by a innings, in 2 days. :x:x:x

I am in no way a bitter person, but I still regard Worcester with the same contempt I give to The Skates and cold callers.

Then I have confused myself. Didn't some other team win the Championship because they had the last day slog that was permitted in the rules of the time and we had nothing at all? Seem to remember being in Honiton at the time, although why I'd be there stumps me completely. Still I spent time in strange places in the 70s so it's entirely possible.

To rub salt in the wounds I think it was 0 points for a draw in those days. So for a washout both teams got a grand total of 0 points. Complete idiocy.

Almost as insane as the points system in this league: http://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/41074513 (The team batting second can't get maximum batting points if they bowl out the other team cheaply, or in this case, declare early.)

Well I never, with Essex at 40 for 6 our score yesterday looks better than respectable. And to think those archibiased Essex commentators on Solent thought they'd done a fantastic job to get us out for less than "par for this pitch 300" . Solent need to get guest commentators to knock off the bias a bit, it's most annoying.

Well I never, with Essex at 40 for 6 our score yesterday looks better than respectable. And to think those archibiased Essex commentators on Solent thought they'd done a fantastic job to get us out for less than "par for this pitch 300" . Solent need to get guest commentators to knock off the bias a bit, it's most annoying.

And Kevan James and the Old Gits from Hospital Radio don't show any Hampshire Bias? Ever?

You do post some utter bilge. Don Topley is the father of our absent opening bowler and is probably the most un-biased commentator on the circuit.

And Kevan James and the Old Gits from Hospital Radio don't show any Hampshire Bias? Ever?

You do post some utter bilge. Don Topley is the father of our absent opening bowler and is probably the most un-biased commentator on the circuit.

Not Topley, the other bloke from Radio Essex, a regal pain in the bum that bloke.

I remember when we had Alan Mullally guest commentating. He was being genuinely offensive to the Durham commentator bragging that his record collection cost more than a house in Durham, and how everyone up north is broke. (it may look funny written down, but it was atrocious to listen to even as a Hampshire fan) I complained and he's never been back on since. I'd like to feel I had a small part to play!

I remember when we had Alan Mullally guest commentating. He was being genuinely offensive to the Durham commentator bragging that his record collection cost more than a house in Durham, and how everyone up north is broke. (it may look funny written down, but it was atrocious to listen to even as a Hampshire fan) I complained and he's never been back on since. I'd like to feel I had a small part to play!

TBF the Durham commentator, Martin Emmerson, probably deserved it. Probably the biggest WUM on the circuit.

It was so sad when they were relegated instead of us, last year. A fact that he still hasn't got over and not helped by the fact he commentates on Sunderland as well, so is quite a bitter little man. Mind you, he can turn his bile on Notts now.

Great idea to get rid of Carberry wasn't it...see Benny Howell is doing really well another released player.

How White keeps his job baffles me.

By "doing really well" do you mean scoring only his 2nd FC century in over 60 matches and that in the first championship game he's had for over 13 months.

Carberry had not scored a run for us since the beginning of the season and has been replaced by a promising youngster. Something we just had to do. He is the first, of presumably several who will retire or be eased out.

There are many things to beat Hants up over. Those are not 2 of them.

12 for 4 and will lose this game now surely. Our batting lineup has no bottle. Given the early stage of the match enforcing the follow on didn't seem necessary.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I was there on Wednesday and it was in my opinion the right decision at the time we beat the bat so many times in their second innings

Our batting is just inept and has been all season

Having a day rained off (well done, Edgbaston's world-class drainage system, once again :rolleyes: ) might actually have worked in our favour. We now know exactly what we need to stay up, after Somerset were bowled out for 236. They can now only get a maximum of 20 points from their game against Middlesex, which means that we only need 8 points to be safe.

If I'm George Bailey tomorrow, I'm choosing an uncontested toss and bowling first. Get 9 or 10 wickets to ensure 3 bowling bonus points, and then make sure we don't lose. Thursday will be a washout as well, so it's effectively a two-day game. Surely we can't lose in that situation... :uhoh:

Can Warwickshire declare to stop us getting bonus points (like Surrey vs Lancs)?

By the way live stream on Warwickshire site.

They could have, yes, but that would have been no benefit to them. They are already down.

As it currently stands, it looks like it will be between us and Middlesex (by the way, have you seen the wicket down in Taunton? To say it's a pitch to ensure are result is an understatement - wouldn't be surprised if a complaint come in from Middlesex....). Its in our hands, with 3 bowling points a draw is enough to keep us safe. If we go down, it will be (as it pretty much has been all season) due to our failures with the bat.

They could have, yes, but that would have been no benefit to them. They are already down.

As it currently stands, it looks like it will be between us and Middlesex (by the way, have you seen the wicket down in Taunton? To say it's a pitch to ensure are result is an understatement - wouldn't be surprised if a complaint come in from Middlesex....). Its in our hands, with 3 bowling points a draw is enough to keep us safe. If we go down, it will be (as it pretty much has been all season) due to our failures with the bat.

The man from the ECB is there to inspect the pitch and will give his decision at the close.

93-7 and it looks like we are going down, which would be 100% deserved. Think that is fair enough (and to say that with our bowling line up really says a lot!). Can't remember a side give up as badly as Hampshire have in the last month of any sporting season (Abbott and Edwards aside). A huge clear out is needed and i reckon we need to recruit up to 4 new batsmen to make us competitive. Pathetic.

93-7 and it looks like we are going down, which would be 100% deserved. Think that is fair enough (and to say that with our bowling line up really says a lot!). Can't remember a side give up as badly as Hampshire have in the last month of any sporting season (Abbott and Edwards aside). A huge clear out is needed and i reckon we need to recruit up to 4 new batsmen to make us competitive. Pathetic.

agree, they only have themselves to blame if/when they go down so no crocodile tears from the players, coach or anyone. Feel sorry for Abbott and Edwards, that’s about it.

Deserve to go down IMO.

A few batters have been absolutely disgraceful this season: how do Adams and Ervine still get a game?

Massive clearout needed in the summer. Alsop and Weatherley have asked for opportunities and been terrible.

Only Abbott and Berg have performed over 6/10 this season which is why we will be relegated.

112 for 9 now. As a batting unit they have absolutely no bottle.

To have already crowned champions Essex and already relegated Warwickshire in our last two games was the ideal run-in and to not even draw one of those games is pathetic. I know a poster elsewhere in this thread disagreed but I felt enforcing the follow-on last week was a real **** up and allowed Essex back into the game.

Abbott has been outstanding and the rest of the bowlers have also had good seasons, even Dawson has done well but that has been to the detriment of his batting. Abbott and Berg have also bailed us out with the bat regularly.

I don't know their contract situations but I think the time has come for Adams and Ervine to move on. They've barely got into double figures for the last month or so and unfortunately Alsop hasn't done well either. In his defence he was mucked about a bit earlier in the season and it's not ideal to keep wicket and bat in the top 3. Vince has flattered to deceive yet again.

I'd give Fidel Edwards another year as he's been very good in the last few games. There is an argument for not bothering though as he'd probably be too old for Division One in 2019 if we managed to come straight back up. The lack of young seamers coming through is a massive concern...we don't have a single home grown seamer in the squad and I'm not aware of any in the 2nd XI or Academy.

Giles White has to go, they seem to find a new job for him every few years but it's time for someone from outside to sort things out.