Hampshire CCC 2017 Season

Weston Saint

Rested, I'd have thought. Both have bowled 128 overs in 4-day cricket already this year!

Because Wheal and Edwards have picked up injuries I'd guess. Anyway those that we do have available today need to tighten up a bit. Not a bad start but now Kent are getting on top of it a bit. Wood has gone for a fair few already, Topley is a bit better and the new lad Holland isn't off to the best of starts, giving away 17 in his first over.

Looks like we won't win today, our first defeat of the season then. Their 8th wicket pair clubbed our bowling for a packet in the last few overs and we've been behind the rate all innings. Bailey, Vince and Dawson all looked promising but they got out when it mattered that they didn't.

Pathetic performance. Pathetic crowd. Team stuffed with Kolpacks. No thanks.

Vince, Alsop, Dawson and Carberry aren't Kolpaks though are they and they're the ones who are all out before we get to 35.

Poor bowling and even poorer batting apparently and there was me thinking that we'd got past that, obviously not.

Vince, Alsop, Dawson and Carberry aren't Kolpaks though are they and they're the ones who are all out before we get to 35.

Poor bowling and even poorer batting apparently and there was me thinking that we'd got past that, obviously not.

Couldn't care less about how good they are. In fact most of them are brilliant, it's just sad to have a team packed with them,. It's not the quality that concerns me. If this is the future of Hampshire, forget it. We may even win the Championship with this team, and I can't believe I'm saying this after 37 years of supporting them...but I wouldn't care less.

Couldn't care less about how good they are. In fact most of them are brilliant, it's just sad to have a team packed with them,. It's not the quality that concerns me. If this is the future of Hampshire, forget it. We may even win the Championship with this team, and I can't believe I'm saying this after 37 years of supporting them...but I wouldn't care less.

37 years so that takes you back to the start of the 80s when most of our best players were Johnny Foreigners. Richards, Greenidge, Roberts, Marshall M, Warne and 2 Smiths, all icons of Hampshire cricket really. County cricket has always been made more attractive by overseas players (unless you're a Yorkshireman I suppose) . Jeez Hants would probably have been awful to watch without our foreign stars.

Anyway today's result will probably depend on how long Bailey and Ervine can stick around. They're getting into their bowlers quite well just now and if they can take us to say 170 at a good rate we might get away with the 34/4 start.

Edited by Window Cleaner

You surprise me!

Last nights team

Carberry - England Test Player

Alsop - England Lions

Vince - England Test

Bailey -

Dawson - England Test

Ervine - England qualified due to period playing in England

McManus -England Under 19's

Berg

Abbott

Crane - England Under 19's

Topley - England IOD & T20

Only complaint......none were born in Hampshire.

I see from the result on Cricinfo that we lost according to the DL rule by 89 runs. That would mean that if terminal rain was forecast for about 2 hours into our innings we needed 235 runs off of 30 overs. Nigh on 8 an over from the start, tall ask really so I suppose that's why our top order folded,chasing an impossible total for a DL win.

I see from the result on Cricinfo that we lost according to the DL rule by 89 runs. That would mean that if terminal rain was forecast for about 2 hours into our innings we needed 235 runs off of 30 overs. Nigh on 8 an over from the start, tall ask really so I suppose that's why our top order folded,chasing an impossible total for a DL win.
It is all about wickets taken. If Hamshire had scored the 146 runs for 2 wickets they would have won by 3 runs.

That is what was annoying us at the ground. There was no need to take risks. 4.78 runs per over to that time! However they played as if no weather interruption which was correct but poor batting was our downfall

It is all about wickets taken. If Hamshire had scored the 146 runs for 2 wickets they would have won by 3 runs.

That is what was annoying us at the ground. There was no need to take risks. 4.78 runs per over to that time! However they played as if no weather interruption which was correct but poor batting was our downfall

How can that be if Middlesex were about 180 for 2 after virtual the same number of overs? They scored regularly at about 6 an over with a fairly even fall of wickets after about 180 so for us to win at 146/2 would have been a bit of a travesty then.

How can that be if Middlesex were about 180 for 2 after virtual the same number of overs? They scored regularly at about 6 an over with a fairly even fall of wickets after about 180 so for us to win at 146/2 would have been a bit of a travesty then.
that is how DL works

Strong squad for Somerset tomorrow, with Rossouw and Edwards back - surely it's time to drop McManus and have Alsop keeping? Tough call between Berg and Edwards for the final bowler spot - wicket taking and expensive Edwards, or economical Berg, who can bat?

Squad: Adams, Topley, Ervine, Dawson, Alsop, Bailey, Berg, Vince, McManus, Rossouw, Crane, Edwards, Abbott.

Strong squad for Somerset tomorrow, with Rossouw and Edwards back - surely it's time to drop McManus and have Alsop keeping? Tough call between Berg and Edwards for the final bowler spot - wicket taking and expensive Edwards, or economical Berg, who can bat?

Squad: Adams, Topley, Ervine, Dawson, Alsop, Bailey, Berg, Vince, McManus, Rossouw, Crane, Edwards, Abbott.

Well given Somerset's record so far this season in this competition we might need to look at restricting their run rate a bit.

I'd definitely go for Edwards but I'd not drop Berg either. Think Crane and perhaps Adams will miss out.

Edit: Nearly right, Topley and Adams don't make the starting XI today.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Not so great now though. Bowlers getting hammered by Trego, who, IIRC ,is in great form just now.

Out for 55, which is a relief after his recent big ton. Also, that Surrey game was mad - 22/5 then a guy with no first class hundreds hitting 165no off about 140 balls, with great support from Elgar. That's the concern, Dean Elgar still there. 145/4 not bad though so far. Let's hope Van De Merwe has an off day at fifth wicket down!

Fortunately for Hants Rossouw is on form today because the rest has looked a bit fragile. Still coasting to a win.

Although Jamie Overton bowled a much better spell and with his pace (90mph plus) and height it takes clusters of wickets. His first three overs Rossouw and Vince took for 40 which did the damage from Hants. Reminds me of an early career Harmison - when he's good he looks fantastic but can be dreadful. Hope for England's sake he finds consistency. Craig isn't quite as quick with the ball but a more refined cricketer.

As well as Vince and Dawson played, they got out playing ridiculous shots that they didn't need to play - Vince has never played a successful scoop shot in a match as far as I can remember - which left us potentially 30 runs short of where we should have been had they continued as they were. Although you could blame the 22 extras and a couple of misfields for the defeat, I think it is as much down to the last 5 overs failure thanks to 2 moments of stupidity. The Glamorgan batsmen certainly weren't going to give us similar gifts and the wides and no-balls helped them along nicely. Topley looks worryingly expensive and erratic for an international class bowler. 2 big games coming up now.