Fonte to see out career with Saints

Marsdinho

Serious question... would anyone be overly bothered if he was replaced next season? Great servant for us, but feel like it's time for us to move on and get someone younger in that position to replace VVD when he leaves.

Serious question... would anyone be overly bothered if he was replaced next season? Great servant for us, but feel like it's time for us to move on and get someone younger in that position to replace VVD when he leaves.

We may need Fonte around to help blood in the VVD replacement in the Jan / Summer window.

We may need Fonte around to help blood in the VVD replacement in the Jan / Summer window.

VVD will not be sold in January. I can 100% guarantee you that.

Hasn't LeG already said he'll be made captain next year and be sold off to Barca the year after?

Love it how people go mental over loyalty when a player leaves, but as soon as a players form dips they want shot of him. Forget the fact that he's still a decent player, joined us in League 1 and has risen up the ranks with us. Lets just **** him off.

Laughable.

Love it how people go mental over loyalty when a player leaves, but as soon as a players form dips they want shot of him. Forget the fact that he's still a decent player, joined us in League 1 and has risen up the ranks with us. Lets just **** him off.

Laughable.

We have a "Fonte has dipped and should be shipped out" discussion every year.

Laughable.

It's not that at all.

It seems he would like a move to united and given his age, I don't blame him.

Do I think we could do better? Yes, especially given our recruitment in that position over the last couple of years. Fonte's been a fantastic player for us over the last 6 years, but sometimes it's the time is right to move a player on (Look at Lambert).

Laughable.

We pretty much 'stayed loyal' to Lundekvam and Dodd, look how that panned out. He needs replacing next summer.

We pretty much 'stayed loyal' to Lundekvam and Dodd, look how that panned out. He needs replacing next summer.

Of course he needs replacing, but cutting his time on the pitch whilst we blood a new player is the way to do it, not just moan like **** that some other team showed an interest and that he might be interested and that his form has dipped and he has a few more wrinkles and grey hairs so we best ship him out.

I'd love for a player like Fonte to do what Kelvin did. Finish up here and do his coaching badges if that's what he wants.

Laughable.

A bit simplistic more like. We can't just cut a player who's under contract as we'll owe them compensation. Players get the best of both worlds: they can rail for a move when they feel they've outgrown the club while they can sit tight and pick up a paycheque should their form dip.

Yes & that is a lovely plan in theory. But we all know what will happen when the big boys come knocking in the summer.

We do have a track record of selling our players, in fact it's partly how we sell the club to those considering joining, but we have also shown more of a trend in recent years of hanging to those for a year once teams are interested. Schneiderlin, Wanyama & Mane all had clubs interested in Summer 2015 and we didn't sell. Given Van Dijk's recent new contract, I imagine we won't sell him unless we receive an offer way beyond what we value him at and have identified a suitable replacement.

(Possible exception if we end up having a disastrous season, getting relegated or flirting with relegation, but I'm going to assume that doesn't happen...)

A friend of mine who claims to be ITK said that fonte to United is already agreed and will happen in January. The same guy told me chambers was off to Arsenal the January before it happened..

I wouldn't actually be that bothered if he went. Yes he's been superb for us but we can improve on him. It's the dressing room and his leadership that we will probably miss the most IMO

A friend of mine who claims to be ITK said that fonte to United is already agreed and will happen in January. The same guy told me chambers was off to Arsenal the January before it happened..

I wouldn't actually be that bothered if he went. Yes he's been superb for us but we can improve on him. It's the dressing room and his leadership that we will probably miss the most IMO

Probably explains why he's being left out a bit - get the team used to playing without him. Man U is a bad move for him, and for them

If true, you would expect a replacement has been sorted.

Laughable.

This.

Seems like some people think its a piece of cake of replacing him as well. He's one of the best centre backs in the League imo and thats why United want(ed) him.

Fonte's form has definitely dipped but you could say that about a few since Puel arrived

Bertrand, Long, Forster, Cedric and Davis all look off the pace compared to last season. Even Højbjerg is getting worse rather than better imho

What utter rubbish! You are talking about players who have either suffered long-term injuries and making their way back to full fitness or are being asked to play sometimes three games per week. How can you possibly link any perceived changes in their form with Puel?

Why? Nobody is going to give a sh*t if Fonte is cup tied.

If I had captained the team to European football after sticking with us thru our journey and didn't get to play 1 minute of it I'd be rightly ****ed off and would be looking to leave at my earliest opportunity!

Can't blame Jose for being interested when the reports of interest from Man U came along. He knows Luke Shaw very well and at Man U they could have sat next to each other on the bench. Oh, and then there's the money. No one should be critical of a player wanting to earn as much as he can during a short career. Unfortunately, because fans naturally feel a close relationship to the players they support its difficult to understand that loyalty by players is temporary at best. Rightly or wrongly, the episode last summer did sour the feelings towards Jose for a lot of fans and although he's still well worth his place in the side, people are beginning to see the decline of an aging star. The fact remains he has been a fantastic servant for Southampton, all the way back to being in the Johnson's Paint Trophy winning team in 2010. If an approach did come from Man U or any club offering a payrise it would be a nonsense for him to show no interest but its hard to see the club releasing him this side of next summer and by then his value to another team might be much lower. The Magic Man in the Sky doesn't really play any part in this.

Fonte's form has definitely dipped but you could say that about a few since Puel arrived

Bertrand, Long, Forster, Cedric and Davis all look off the pace compared to last season. Even Højbjerg is getting worse rather than better imho

What utter rubbish! You are talking about players who have either suffered long-term injuries and making their way back to full fitness or are being asked to play sometimes three games per week. How can you possibly link any perceived changes in their form with Puel?

Because he is a Twa t

I agree, but just can't see it happening in January. Saints don't allow key players to leave mid-season.

If I had captained the team to European football after sticking with us thru our journey and didn't get to play 1 minute of it I'd be rightly ****ed off and would be looking to leave at my earliest opportunity!

Or he knows he doesn't have it in him to play 3 games in a week and knows he is going to miss out somewhere. He may well have wanted to play at the San Siro but I can't imagine he was all that excited about a trip to Be'er Sheva. Luckily he is a professional and is unlikely to throw his toys out in such a manner. Nobody better than Saints will be looking to sign him.

It's Lambert all over again. Love him, love what he's done for us, would be glad to see him see out his career and move behind the scenes (ala Kelvin), but at the same time recognise his best days are just behind him and he will need to be replaced soon, so if he does move on he will go with our best wishes.

No hard feelings whatever happens, but we are already at the stage where we need to think about his replacement whether he stays or not. A solid CB pairing has been a Saints speciality for a long time, we shouldn't risk that.

Fonte's form has definitely dipped but you could say that about a few since Puel arrived.

And,significantly, they all played in the Euros and missed much of preseason. Your comment on Hobjerg is based on one game.He was fine until then

So, Fonte's "God" cant help kids with bone marrow cancer, or any of those poor souls that perished trying to cross the med, or those kids left behind in war torn Syria...but he'll make sure Jose moves to Utd, gets a nice pay rise and signing on fee....

Absolutely spot-bollock-on.

The god squad footballers (and there lots) are probably one of things I like least about the game. People believe different things, fine, but dickheads being paid £100k a week to play football don't need to bleat on about it like that knobber Sturridge.

Mind you, if I was being paid £100k p/w to knock a ball around, I'd probably believe in a flying spaghetti monster and all his noodly godness too.