Lowest goals scored for five years

Mr X

'Long and Tadic contributed 18 goals between them last season - so far this season it's just a single goal. I would say a big part of the problem lies here, rather than the like for like debate'

And there, bedwetting morons, is your answer.

Didn't we have another manager last season or did I just dream it? We've lost a couple of very good players too.This just might have a bearing on how Long and Tadic play?

Do fu_ck off you utter melt.

Of the names mention by Minsk how many of them have scored more than Austin? None, nada, zip, zilch but saying that I'd want Saints to get Berihino in Jan'.

And there, bedwetting morons, is your answer.

You can always tell when someone is losing an argument, or who doesn't really have much of an argument at all, as they start to use foul and abusive language....... but, anyway.......... pray tell, who is bedwetting and who are the morons? Anybody who dares to have an opinion different to yours?

As for the rest of your post..... seeing as you made such a big point that none of the players I mentioned have scored more goals than Austin (thus far) this season does that mean, in your mind, Saints should never sign any striker other than Costa, Aguero, Lukaku, Ibrahimovic or Defoe? Of course, there are also Hazard and Sanchez who could be played up front, and some guy called Mane......

Plus, should we really count penalties anyway? I mean, unless your name is Tadic, they should be buried every time. So, unless players being compared have had the same number of penalty opportunities to score from it isn't really fair, is it? So, let's look at goals scored from open play in the prem: Austin 3; Benteke 3; Bony 2; Negredo 1; Berahino (the onof the four you would like us to go for in January) 0 - that last part kind of negates all the previous comments re goals scored by the way. But anyhow...... maybe, just maybe, if any of the aforementioned players had been in our starting 11 since the start of the season, they may have scored far more than Austin has; they may not, nobody knows - but had we signed one of them, or any other striker, we would have had more options.

I said this on another thread and you ignored it so will repeat it here..... This season we play with 3 up front - the tip of the midfield diamond is often further forward than the forwards. That means, to cope with a match every 3 or 4 days, we should have at least 6 players available for those 3 positions. At least 4, most often 5, forwards are utilised during each and every match. However, seeing as we bought Boufal knowing he wouldn't be available for the first few months that has never been the case - and that is without going into the doubts over JRods and Charlie's fitness/stamina. IMHO, we absolutely, definitely, should have bought one more forward during the summer window or, at the very least, not let Gallagher go out on loan for the season (although I believe the club were right to loan him out).

We have been handicapped since the season started. We had room in the squad, we had the money (or should have had given the profit we made) but the board failed to deliver. Honestly, I think it shocking that during a couple of very big matches our only attacking option from the bench has been a 19 year old with zero minutes of premier league experience.

Obviously a very emotive subject depending upon people's favourites. Factually, Tadic, Austin, Redmond has been our strike force of choice and it just isn't effective in the Premier League. Those three players must shoulder the lion's share of the blame as in most matches they get plenty of time on the ball but fashion very little from all their possession. It's a cop out to blame Holberg, Davis and Ward prowess for not contributing enough and shying away from the unpalatable truth for many that our strike force isn't good enough at this level.

Of course more constructive debate than "told you so" is needed but don't hold you breath for reinforcements to arrive anytime soon if Kat and her boys are focused on selling up and cashing in their chips.

You could argue though, from the games I've watched all 3 (or at least 2 of) have had at least 4 good chances each this season to score and only one goal to show for it.

Plus we're 10th after losing to Hull, just a few extra goals off top 6.

Clearly are good enough for this level.

You could argue though, from the games I've watched all 3 (or at least 2 of) have had at least 4 good chances each this season to score and only one goal to show for it.

Plus we're 10th after losing to Hull, just a few extra goals off top 6.

Clearly are good enough for this level.

Hull who we are just 3 points ahead of in 3rd from bottom spot.

Look he is clearly a talent but looking at his stats this is his 5th season at Liverpool and only once in five seasons has he managed to register more than 17 league appearances... what's the point in the club splashing out on a guy that is so injury prone he wont be available for two thirds of most seasons we already have Jrod for that.

You can always tell when someone is losing an argument, or who doesn't really have much of an argument at all, as they start to use foul and abusive language....... but, anyway.......... pray tell, who is bedwetting and who are the morons? Anybody who dares to have an opinion different to yours?

As for the rest of your post..... seeing as you made such a big point that none of the players I mentioned have scored more goals than Austin (thus far) this season does that mean, in your mind, Saints should never sign any striker other than Costa, Aguero, Lukaku, Ibrahimovic or Defoe? Of course, there are also Hazard and Sanchez who could be played up front, and some guy called Mane......

Plus, should we really count penalties anyway? I mean, unless your name is Tadic, they should be buried every time. So, unless players being compared have had the same number of penalty opportunities to score from it isn't really fair, is it? So, let's look at goals scored from open play in the prem: Austin 3; Benteke 3; Bony 2; Negredo 1; Berahino (the onof the four you would like us to go for in January) 0 - that last part kind of negates all the previous comments re goals scored by the way. But anyhow...... maybe, just maybe, if any of the aforementioned players had been in our starting 11 since the start of the season, they may have scored far more than Austin has; they may not, nobody knows - but had we signed one of them, or any other striker, we would have had more options.

I said this on another thread and you ignored it so will repeat it here..... This season we play with 3 up front - the tip of the midfield diamond is often further forward than the forwards. That means, to cope with a match every 3 or 4 days, we should have at least 6 players available for those 3 positions. At least 4, most often 5, forwards are utilised during each and every match. However, seeing as we bought Boufal knowing he wouldn't be available for the first few months that has never been the case - and that is without going into the doubts over JRods and Charlie's fitness/stamina. IMHO, we absolutely, definitely, should have bought one more forward during the summer window or, at the very least, not let Gallagher go out on loan for the season (although I believe the club were right to loan him out).

We have been handicapped since the season started. We had room in the squad, we had the money (or should have had given the profit we made) but the board failed to deliver. Honestly, I think it shocking that during a couple of very big matches our only attacking option from the bench has been a 19 year old with zero minutes of premier league experience.

I appreciate that you don't really know much about how football clubs work so it's easier just to bleat about not spending gazillions but hey ho, let's try to keep things simple.

Saints are/were NEVER going to buy the likes of Bony, who I rate and who I wanted Saints to go out and get, due to his massive wages. Benteke would never suit our system and cost way too much. Negrado, meh. Defoe, FFS. Berihino, fast, mobile, suits us.

So, to be clear, Austin, purchased to replace Pelle has scored more than the players you mention and only one less than Pelle had at this stage of last season. Redmond has scored as many as Mane at the same stage but our lack of goals come from the fact that Long/Tadic have yet to really make their mark.

Sturridge looks like he's now on the market and no doubt you're be bleating in we don't go in for him at around £30m, £120k a week salary and a sicknote to rival Darren Anderton.

I appreciate that you don't really know much about how football clubs work so it's easier just to bleat about not spending gazillions but hey ho, let's try to keep things simple.

Saints are/were NEVER going to buy the likes of Bony, who I rate and who I wanted Saints to go out and get, due to his massive wages. Benteke would never suit our system and cost way too much. Negrado, meh. Defoe, FFS. Berihino, fast, mobile, suits us.

So, to be clear, Austin, purchased to replace Pelle has scored more than the players you mention and only one less than Pelle had at this stage of last season. Redmond has scored as many as Mane at the same stage but our lack of goals come from the fact that Long/Tadic have yet to really make their mark.

Sturridge looks like he's now on the market and no doubt you're be bleating in we don't go in for him at around £30m, £120k a week salary and a sicknote to rival Darren Anderton.

I think it's fair to say, having read many of your previous posts, that I easily understand how football clubs work as well as you do - quite possibly more so.

We wouldn't have had to buy Bony, Stoke have him on loan.

I believe Benteke would have given us another option and, if Crystal Palace could do so, why couldn't we have afforded him? Although, I do admit that CP probably did over pay for him.

Negredo would have also offered us something different - experienced, mobile, can put away chances - I am sure he would have scored far more playing fr us than for 'boro and would have been a very handy option to have as cover until Boufal found his again. Again, 'boro have him on loan, so he wouldn't have cost much to bring in.

Defoe, I only added because he fit your criteria of having scored more goals than Austin thus far. - I notice you decided to ignore the mention of players who have.

Berahino, I was calling us to sign all summer. And you have also said you would like us to sign him. So, do we need to sign someone or not? Make your mind up.

Again, yes Austin was probably signed to eventually replace Pelle. Possibly Redmond is also Mane's replacement. Neither of the two currently at Saints are (at this moment in time) as good as those they replaced. Call me old fashioned, but I thought the way to improve a squad is to buy better than those they are replacing??

I am also fully aware that Shane Long and Dusan Tadic are not performing as well as last season. Perhaps that's because of extra matches? Hence why we should have a, slightly, bigger and better squad? And yes I know Shane has been injured, which again shows that we should have more depth to the squad given the Boufal injury and doubts as to JRod's fitness.

As for Sturridge - no thank you.

But again, the names above are just that I threw in off the top of my head. It is not my job to identify players for Saints to purchase, or loan. There is a team of well paid guys to do that. However, as a fan, I feel that I have a right to point out where and when I feel those running the club have let us down.

One more thing that you continually ignore, we are allowed a squad of 25 players over the age of 21. We only named 23, which includes: Pied (out for the season); Isgrove (1 Premier League appearance and way off being good enough); Jack Stephens (5th choice CB, has only made 1 first team appearance, and also not Premier League standard); Stuart Taylor (3rd - or is he 4th? - choice 'keeper who has only made 7 first team appearances in the past 7 years and who is often overlooked in favour of Harry Lewis). As I have repeatedly said, we certainly have room in the squad for another attacking player.

I am not advocating for us to spend 'gazzillions' on players ala that lot down the road - it's you who think we should only target the likes of Aguero, Costa, Lukaku or Ibrahimovic - but we absolutely should have a better striker than Olomola on the bench when playing the likes of Inter Milan and Chelsea!

It's the way we lost is more important. Hull had a goal difference of -18 I believe, the worst in the league.

We created next to f all against them.

That is the biggest worry.

According to the stats we had 19 attempts on goal (7 on target) against Hull. Creating isn't our problem finishing is. Hull had two attempts on target and scored both.

somehow play boufal and tadic at the same time, is the only thing i can think of and redmond benched. boufal created quite a few chances for us against hull after he came on. him and tadic creating, austin scoring should be the answer IMO. No idea WTF is with j rod, but redmond isnt creating enough or scoring enough IMO also doesnt look like him and boufal can play togather too well, they just seem to get in each others' way.

I'm surprised we didn't hang on to young Sam Gallagher.I understand the thinking that he needed games to improve but bearing in mind the fitness of JRod and Austin it would have prudent to keep him.Might have saved us some money too.

He's only on loan mind

Yep! but we could do with him now.

I thought when I first saw him play he was a promising prospect.

Best thing he can do is stay at Blackburn, keep getting games and experience, then come back next season ready to compete for a place.

No point in him being here now, he wouldn't get the game time he needs.

:lol:

yeah he scorers a few goals for Blackburn so lets get him back asap as he is now the answer to all our problems.... much better that he stays were he is and carries on progressing right now.

Where did I say he was the 'answer to all our problems'?

I know he's on loan for the season to Blackburn,all I'm saying is its a pity we didn't keep him here instead of messing about with JRod and lets be honest I will be very surprised if Austin plays all season and Long does pick up injuries. I don't get this sending good players off to other clubs to improve,cant they do that here?

Where did I say he was the 'answer to all our problems'?

I know he's on loan for the season to Blackburn,all I'm saying is its a pity we didn't keep him here instead of messing about with JRod and lets be honest I will be very surprised if Austin plays all season and Long does pick up injuries. I don't get this sending good players off to other clubs to improve,cant they do that here?

Said with a great deal of hindsight. The lad is getting regular first team football at Blackburn he wouldn't have got that this season at saints baring an injury catastrophe.

The only reason people are mentioning Sam is because we are having a bit of a goal drought if we were scoring a few more no one would even be mentioning him.

Said with a great deal of hindsight. The lad is getting regular first team football at Blackburn he wouldn't have got that this season at saints baring an injury catastrophe.

The only reason people are mentioning Sam is because we are having a bit of a goal drought if we were scoring a few more no one would even be mentioning him.

Quite. Had he been another Rashford or Shearer for that matter he wouldn't be at Blackburn in the first place.

Austin is our only Premier League level scorer, that is the issue (if there really is one since we are #10 in the PL). He is scoring and will likely get his 15 goals. The issue is that Long/Tadic/Redmond aren't really scoring. Also I don't think we can rely on Jrod, in fact I'm not sure if he will ever fully come back. Its pretty obvious that the players know this, and just keep trying to feed Austin.

People have to realise and accept that we were always going to give JRod this chance to come back. We stuck by a player through a rough injury and spent a load of money in the process, so we were always going to see it through to the end and this includes a period where he is trying to get match fit. So it's no good going on about how we should have bought someone in because he was a risk, that's not how it works. There will be an end game for JRod and the Saints, he will either become an effective player again or he will move on. But a club of our size was always going to go through the period we are now in trying to bring him back and we just have to accept that.

somehow play boufal and tadic at the same time, is the only thing i can think of and redmond benched. boufal created quite a few chances for us against hull after he came on. him and tadic creating, austin scoring should be the answer IMO. No idea WTF is with j rod, but redmond isnt creating enough or scoring enough IMO also doesnt look like him and boufal can play togather too well, they just seem to get in each others' way.

won't happen but I'd play Tadic in no10, just behind Austin, with Boufal and Redmond either side of them.

Alternatively, when we don't have the ball, swap Austin and Redmond so instead of Austin dropping to L/RW Redmond does and Charlie stays central

According to the stats we had 19 attempts on goal (7 on target) against Hull. Creating isn't our problem finishing is. Hull had two attempts on target and scored both.

Don't let the facts get in the way of an opinion that we "created f all" though. :D

We had the best two chances of the game in the last 2 seconds alone.

People have to realise and accept that we were always going to give JRod this chance to come back. We stuck by a player through a rough injury and spent a load of money in the process, so we were always going to see it through to the end and this includes a period where he is trying to get match fit. So it's no good going on about how we should have bought someone in because he was a risk, that's not how it works. There will be an end game for JRod and the Saints, he will either become an effective player again or he will move on. But a club of our size was always going to go through the period we are now in trying to bring him back and we just have to accept that.

I absolutely get that and appreciate that the club are standing by him. Moreover, I desperately want him to be the player he was 2 years ago however likely that may be. However, to my mins, given the way the past two seasons have gone (last season especially) he should have been treated more like a development player - giving him time to build his fitness, sharpness and confidence. The problem is, though, that this is not just about JRod. The club also knew that Boufal wouldn't get a full league 90 minutes in until late November (if he even manages it by then). They let us go into the first half half of the season with only 5 first squad forwards - 1 of which had fitness doubts, another is really a creative midfielder and yet another had only ever played as a winger prior to this season. All in the knowledge that we would effectively be playing 3 up front this season (thus utilising at least 4, usually 5 forwards each match) while having to play twice a week, virtually every week, until the new year. I really don't see how anyone can not see that we should have had at least one more forward in the squad.

What relevance does the strength of Italy's squad have to the discussion?

The relevance of my comment is that Austin would not have been picked for Italy ahead of Pelle. The obvious implication there being that Pelle is the better player; thus we have accepted a downgrade with the replacement - ditto if Redmond is Mane's replacement.

Austin would not have been picked for Italy ahead of Pelle. The obvious implication there being that Pelle is the better player

One manager's opinion. We wouldn't have sold Pelle if we didn't think we had an adequate replacement. Also, Pelle isn't being picked for Italy any more.

I don't think the issue is the Pelle for Austin swap. They are close and both good players. Some may think Austin is better some think Pelle, but in reality they will both produce about the same and both play roughly the same style. This isn't the issue. The production from our other forwards is. We need to get another striker scoring. I'm not sure Redmond will ever be that player, but if Long gets fit perhaps he can fill the void. JRod is a wild card at this point. I view Boufal a lot like Redmond, a very good all around player but not necessarily a scoring striker.

In my opinion, the other issue we have is that only Austin seems to be able to score in the air. Our other forwards seem too small to go up against the opposing backs. Austin is always around the crosses, but everyone else gets muscled away. In fact on corners our two best options are Austin and VVD. This plays into the "great in the open field" concept of the team (Redmond/Tadic/Boufal), but weak when it really comes to scoring in the box.

One manager's opinion. We wouldn't have sold Pelle if we didn't think we had an adequate replacement. Also, Pelle isn't being picked for Italy any more.

Pelle threw his toys out the pram after being subbed off. The manager said he wouldn't pick Pelle again after that. Pelle has played very well for Italy and would be in the team otherwise.

Re: goals

The way we play the front three have a lot of freedom and are expected to contribute the goals. They are being fed constantly. Whilst I do think the midfield three, whoever they may be, ought to chip in occasionally..the main place we are looking for goals is from the front three. It would also be nice if the defence, or a play from midfield, could chip in occasionally from set pieces at least. Right now Austin and Redmond have 8 of our 12 goals in the league.

This brings me to the next point. Tadic. People can whine all they want about if Austin is a replacement for Pelle or not. If Redmond is a replacement for Mane or not. End of the day Austin and Redmond have contributed 8 goals between them in the league. Austin has 8 goals in 9 starts this season in all comps! That's a great return. I wonder how often a player has 8 goals in all comps for us by this stage of the season. Very rare.

I'm not particularly happy with Redmond. But it's the manager who chooses his position and at least he has 3 goals so far. He's also working hard defensively. The front three do interchange (particularly Austin and Redmond).

Tadic on the other hand has 1 goal and no assists in 863 mins according to the stats. Bring the Europa into the equation and it's 1138 mins for 1 goal, no assists. That's surely not anywhere close to good enough. If one player gets stick it should be Tadic for his lack of goals and end product. Austin is playing great (hope he can keep it up), Redmond I'd like an improvement from, Tadic a big improvement from.

Another thing I want to say is concerning Rodriguez. He has played 250 mins in PL+Europa combined and 2 goals. I personally think he looks a real danger with his movement when he plays. He has potential to bag 10+ goals this season if he gets game time and stays injury free. I'd like to see him get more game time over Tadic (if Puel is insistent in only playing Tadic on the right). This gives the option of moving Redmond to the right, Rodriguez on the left, Austin central. They can interchange however much they like too. I reckon having Rodriguez and Austin in the same side for a few games could be interesting. Our best two finishers and natural goal scorers in the squad in my view. Both good in the air too.

Boufal we can see his goal scoring record isn't fantastic from his stats. Bar the wonder goal..he's a good dribbler and likes to take a man on. But I'd like to see him playing closer to the striker, instead of so wide. Then he'd get more opportunities to score. Right now I'd rather see Rodriguez in the side over him, just for the goal threat.

The worry with Tadic is he keeps playing on the right. Under all our managers he's struggled on the right. Almost all his end product for us has been from the left side. Even in the Europa game the cross he put in that led to the pen was from the left. If I'm manager if Tadic plays it's always on the left. He's so much better on the left.

The answer to our woes could literally just be moving Redmond right, Tadic left and playing Austin central (occasionally interchanging with whoever he wants) if he wants to stick with the same front three. This will automatically mean more chances to Austin. Tadic is much more creative from the left, and Redmond will be from the right.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Re: goals

The way we play the front three have a lot of freedom and are expected to contribute the goals. They are being fed constantly. Whilst I do think the midfield three, whoever they may be, ought to chip in occasionally..the main place we are looking for goals is from the front three. It would also be nice if the defence, or a play from midfield, could chip in occasionally from set pieces at least. Right now Austin and Redmond have 8 of our 12 goals in the league.

This brings me to the next point. Tadic. People can whine all they want about if Austin is a replacement for Pelle or not. If Redmond is a replacement for Mane or not. End of the day Austin and Redmond have contributed 8 goals between them in the league. Austin has 8 goals in 9 starts this season in all comps! That's a great return. I wonder how often a player has 8 goals in all comps for us by this stage of the season. Very rare.

I'm not particularly happy with Redmond. But it's the manager who chooses his position and at least he has 3 goals so far. He's also working hard defensively. The front three do interchange (particularly Austin and Redmond).

Tadic on the other hand has 1 goal and no assists in 863 mins according to the stats. Bring the Europa into the equation and it's 1138 mins for 1 goal, no assists. That's surely not anywhere close to good enough. If one player gets stick it should be Tadic for his lack of goals and end product. Austin is playing great (hope he can keep it up), Redmond I'd like an improvement from, Tadic a big improvement from.

Another thing I want to say is concerning Rodriguez. He has played 250 mins in PL+Europa combined and 2 goals. I personally think he looks a real danger with his movement when he plays. He has potential to bag 10+ goals this season if he gets game time and stays injury free. I'd like to see him get more game time over Tadic (if Puel is insistent in only playing Tadic on the right). This gives the option of moving Redmond to the right, Rodriguez on the left, Austin central. They can interchange however much they like too. I reckon having Rodriguez and Austin in the same side for a few games could be interesting. Our best two finishers and natural goal scorers in the squad in my view. Both good in the air too.

Boufal we can see his goal scoring record isn't fantastic from his stats. Bar the wonder goal..he's a good dribbler and likes to take a man on. But I'd like to see him playing closer to the striker, instead of so wide. Then he'd get more opportunities to score. Right now I'd rather see Rodriguez in the side over him, just for the goal threat.

The worry with Tadic is he keeps playing on the right. Under all our managers he's struggled on the right. Almost all his end product for us has been from the left side. Even in the Europa game the cross he put in that led to the pen was from the left. If I'm manager if Tadic plays it's always on the left. He's so much better on the left.

The answer to our woes could literally just be moving Redmond right, Tadic left and playing Austin central (occasionally interchanging with whoever he wants) if he wants to stick with the same front three. This will automatically mean more chances to Austin. Tadic is much more creative from the left, and Redmond will be from the right.

Would that be the same Tadic who has created the second most goal scoring opportunities in the PL this season (27) the reason he has no assists has more to do with his team mates finishing than Tadic's end product.

Would that be the same Tadic who has created the second most goal scoring opportunities in the PL this season (27) the reason he has no assists has more to do with his team mates finishing than Tadic's end product.

Exactly, he's 6th in the entire league for key passes per game (i.e. passes which create an effort on goal), behind only Payet, Silva, De Bruyne, Willian and Firmino. He's also played more games than those around him, so he's 3rd overall in key passes total behind Payet and David Silva. He's up to 31 now.

If he was playing with a striker like Aguero or Costa he'd have about 4 assists (De Bruyne has 6, Silva has 2). As it is Charlie Austin is "only" 9th in goals scored - and I bet he's top in goals per £ paid including transfer and wages (though Antonio has scored the same number from 4 more starts).

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/6335/Stages/13796/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2016-2017 (Detailed, Key Passes, Total)

Edited by The9

Different sort of chances he creates from the right in my view. The trajectory of the ball, whip, angle .. makes them harder to convert. He creates more clear cut chances from the left that are easier to convert because of the ball flight, curves/spin and different pace of the ball in (being a left footed player). That's how I feel. When I picture him creating from the left they are inviting and clear cut chances. Chances created, or goal scoring opportunities created, is very vague in my view.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Had a look through the stats myself. Findings here, you might find interesting - http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/southamptons-wasteful-finishing-is-holding-them-back

Can't argue with much of that, this is an interesting sentence: "For contrast, Arsenal – who have scored twice as many goals – have created 15 fewer goal scoring opportunities.".

We've created 15 more chances than the pin-up boys of creativity ARSENAL.

• 4 months later...
As I noted in another thread, by now we've caught up with the amount of goals scored in our record-breaking 2015/2016 season: the exact same amount of goals scored after 29 games:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2419&stc=1

We do seem to miss a lot of chances, but it's time to change the story of this season.

Last season Mane went on a huge run of form towards the end of the season, who do we reckon it'll be this year? Austin coming back? Redmond?