Ronald Koeman Interview.

rickylambert

He might be open about his own ambitions, Everton's place in the world, stuff about the 1994 WC qualifying campaign, Barcelona, his relationship with Jose, Van Gaal, Pep, the state of Dutch football, etc etc etc. Plenty to cover even if he doesn't mention us.

Koeman was on a Dutch talkshow on Sunday and they asked him a few things about what happened. He just said what we already heard, he wanted to stay and like finish his current contract, the club wanted him to extend his contract but he didn't had a good feeling about that offer so the club wanted him to go basically and then Everton came along with a better offer. He also had doubts about extending with Southampton because he had the feeling it could only go worse in terms of results.

That's basically all he said about it.

Here's what he said to the question: "Why did you leave Southampton?"

"The main reason was we did not agree on the terms of the final year of my contract. I mentioned to the club I wanted to stay and to go into the last year of my contract. They came back with an offer (of a new deal) and I was really disappointed with it. Everton came knocking people and you start to listen to the club, to the project and to the people. I felt it was a good time to move because it was almost impossible to keep that level at Southampton.

"The main reason was we did not agree on the terms of the final year of my contract. I mentioned to the club I wanted to stay and to go into the last year of my contract. They came back with an offer (of a new deal) and I was really disappointed with it. Everton came knocking people and you start to listen to the club, to the project and to the people. I felt it was a good time to move because it was almost impossible to keep that level at Southampton .

Let's see if the team can make Ron eat those words by the end of the season, if that's not motivation for the players to get into the top 6 at least I don't know what is, should be an interesting game when we play them at St Mary's on the 27th

"The main reason was we did not agree on the terms of the final year of my contract. I mentioned to the club I wanted to stay and to go into the last year of my contract. They came back with an offer (of a new deal) and I was really disappointed with it. Everton came knocking people and you start to listen to the club, to the project and to the people. I felt it was a good time to move because it was almost impossible to keep that level at Southampton.

Seems fair enough. Everyone works for money at the end of the day and what he says about us finding it almost impossible to be 6th again is true.

You thought he was going to say it was a fantastic contract offer but wanted to leave anyway?

Of course not...Just didn't expect him to describe it as "very disappointing." Also suggests he could have been persuaded to stay if the finances were right, whereas I thought he was nailed onto leave last summer/ not sign a new contract.

On top of that, it makes him look far from the "football puritan" he claims to be throughout the interview, truly concreting his 'money grabbing' status- i.e. We knew he joined Everton because of the money now we know he left Saints because the money wasn't good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course not...Just didn't expect him to describe it as "very disappointing." Also suggests he could have been persuaded to stay if the finances were right, whereas I thought he was nailed onto leave last summer/ not sign a new contract.

On top of that, it makes him look far from the "football puritan" he claims to be throughout the interview, truly concreting his 'money grabbing' status- i.e. We knew he joined Everton because of the money now we know he left Saints because the money wasn't good enough.

I think you're hearing want you want to hear.

Did you know he was "very disappointed" with our contract offer? Quite interesting I thought, sorry to bore you though.

I appreciate Koeman's honesty about the contract. This is better than other players proclaiming that they left for higher ambition.

When you consider he probably knew Pele and Mane were going without adequate replacement and Fonte's future was uncertain, you can understand fully his sentiment. And there was not enough money on the table to compensate.

I harbour him no ill-will. Puel is proving all his fears were correct.

When you consider he probably knew Pele and Mane were going without adequate replacement and Fonte's future was uncertain, you can understand fully his sentiment. And there was not enough money on the table to compensate.

I couldn't say I have no ill feeling towards him, but that's just because I'm a football fan. I can understand why he left, the ill feeling comes on joining Everton.

Here's a rarity, someone agreeing with Alpine. Anyone who went into meltdown with the summer player departures should be the last ones to slag Koeman, sounds like he's actually onboard with you.

In an ideal Koeman-world he'd probably have liked to have seen out his last year (never would have happened) and then moved onto, the likes of, Arsenal/bigger than Everton. It doesn't take a genius to realise the board were miffed at Koeman's reluctance to give more youth a chance, knocking back the 'Southampton Way'. So they may have just called his bluff, particularly once Everton got linked, and offered him an extended contract (that he didn't want) with, possibly, a not very flattering pay rise. His "disappointment" may have been that we forced the issue.

I enjoyed RK's time here, he was never gonna stay much longer but as usual didn't end the best way.

More in the DM today described the Saints contract offer as "really disappointing"

Seems to be our way right now - wanting to pay lemonade money for champagne

TBF his expectations were rising so he was probably expecting a significant pay rise but at a new club next summer, as he was already planning his next move when his contract finished. Perhaps our offer was more than his current contract but not in line with his expectation? Don't forget he was being linked with jobs like Arsenal so to commit to us he would be expecting a lot, and TBF he was right as he got that sort of money at Everton.

I don't hold him responsible and I don't think the club are responsible. It was a natural point where he had outgrown us , in his opinion, as his stock was high and he was plotting his next contract as he was abou to enter he last year of his current one. I really believe he would have stayed and seen out his contract but it wasn't a position that the club would entertain so he had to go.

Can't understand the animosity towards him. As always he seems to be telling the truth from his perspective and his story has been consistent!

More in the DM today described the Saints contract offer as "really disappointing"

I basically read the situation that he felt he'd taken it as far as he could and was never going to sign a new contract anyway.

This isn't really surprising is it? He wants players who are at their peak playing for the team right now - typically 27-29 year olds. Les and Co thinks this is terribly shortsighted and we have to develop players to get best value and continue with our model - if that means coming 9th/10th this year and then having a more concerted push up the table next year when players like Boufal and Redmond having improved.

It's naive to think that a club of our size can consistently compete for the top 4 and European places - we simply don't have the resources. Having said that, a competitive team that does well in cup comps and has a good run in the league every other year is pretty impressive stuff.

Essentially they are setting us up for the best chance to win something - probably the league cup at some point in the coming years (hopefuly this year).

I think Koeman was looking after his CV and had seen two seasons of achievements and was eager to not see that get tarnished. He was swayed to join Everton because of the money involved and a fair chance of finishing top eight again to further enhance his CV. He could easily move somewhere else at the end of the season if the right offer comes along. Koeman clearly strung the whole 'signing a new deal out' as long as possible to see what was around in the close season and that turned out to be an offer from everton. Koeman is not daft he knows within just ten games now a manager could be under the pressure from the sack.

I have been known to be a bit cynical, but I don't think he was being 100% truthful with his reasoning. No doubt he was disappointed with the financial offering but I suspect there was also the issue of Saints aim to produce a larger percentage of squad players from within, and both he and the Board realised he wasn't prepared to give them a chance, so it was convenient for both parties when the Everton offer came along. Fair play to him for getting us into the top 6, but the opposing views meant the parting of the ways was inevitable.

I think Koeman was looking after his CV and had seen two seasons of achievements and was eager to not see that get tarnished. He was swayed to join Everton because of the money involved and a fair chance of finishing top eight again to further enhance his CV. He could easily move somewhere else at the end of the season if the right offer comes along. Koeman clearly strung the whole 'signing a new deal out' as long as possible to see what was around in the close season and that turned out to be an offer from everton. Koeman is not daft he knows within just ten games now a manager could be under the pressure from the sack.

I'd agree with that. He's looked at if he could push us on again and concluded no, he couldn't, which would blot his CV so moving to Everton and improving them,which shouldn't be too hard to do, improves his CV. This is simply all about Ron wanting the Barca job.

The board faced an "Alan Ball" situation. How to get rid of a popular (with the fanbase) manager. Answer offer him a poor extension knowing he would walk. In the case of Ball make him feel he is not valued.

Interesting analogy which I hadn't considered before, but yes it does look a bit like that.

Thanks for your input you doom mongering fat bellend !

:mcinnes:

The Telegraph said Southampton offered Koeman £86,000 per week. That is hardly "lemonade money"! Everton offered more, but Saints still offered him one of the biggest managerial wages in world football.

The board faced an "Alan Ball" situation. How to get rid of a popular (with the fanbase) manager. Answer offer him a poor extension knowing he would walk. In the case of Ball make him feel he is not valued.

I think we have to look at Koemans CV in that he doesnt stay anywhere long and there is no point in getting him to sign a new contract only to leave a year later. I dont think any Saints fan thought he would stay any longer than 3 seasons. Someone offering him double money would obviously be a head turner !

Koeman is now the 5th highest paid manager in the world I believe?

I doubt we're paying lemonade money to the champagne of Van Dijk, who signed a new 6 year deal.

The reason Everton are my most hated club in the Premier League is not actually because of Koeman (though, as with Pochettino, it's never easy to watch a manager leave you and have more success elsewhere), but because of the absurd behaviour of the Everton fans in the wake of his departure. Showed themselves to be a quite pathetic, delusional group.

The reason Everton are my most hated club in the Premier League is not actually because of Koeman (though, as with Pochettino, it's never easy to watch a manager leave you and have more success elsewhere), but because of the absurd behaviour of the Everton fans in the wake of his departure. Showed themselves to be a quite pathetic, delusional group.

That's Merseyside for you.

I was more upset at Bally leaving us than Koeman. He did a fantastic job for us, and gave the place a real lift after the Branfoot era.

This is the reason why we should despise them.

I'm fairly sure we weren't going to match "top 10 manager wages in the world" no matter how much he wanted to stay. It was also fairly obvious we weren't going to get stuck with a lame duck manager so weren't going to allow him to run the last year down, so it was new deal or leave.

I appreciate Koeman's honesty about the contract. This is better than other players proclaiming that they left for higher ambition.

I'm not sure "really disappointed" is necessarily "honest" tbh.

"Lots less than Everton offered" or "I went for the money" is honest - but his actual "disappointed" comments are open to interpretation depending on how much you think he was worth paying and how much you think we should have offered. Saying he knew it would be difficult to maintain last season's level is probably the most honest bit - and there are plenty on here who now expect that every year nevertheless.

Edited by The9

I'm not sure "really disappointed" comes underis necessarily "honest" tbh.

"Lots less than Everton offered" or "I went for the money" is honest - but his actual "disappointed" comments are open to interpretation depending on how much you think he was worth paying and how much you think we should have offered. Saying he knew it would be difficult to maintain last season's level is probably the most honest bit - and there are plenty on here who now expect that every year nevertheless.

might not be all about cash.

:mcinnes:

The Telegraph said Southampton offered Koeman £86,000 per week. That is hardly "lemonade money"! Everton offered more, but Saints still offered him one of the biggest managerial wages in world football.

I think we all know that offer was irrelevant as soon as the club decided Vic, Mane and Pelle would be sold and another summer of rebuilding would commence.