2017-18 Kit Thread

The9

I absolutely love next seasons kit. I think the club have done very well by choosing this kit and the launch was brilliantly executed.

As has been pointed out on Twitter - if you apply a negative filter to the away shirt it shows up as red and white stripes. I think that's a very elegant piece of work.

The home shirt is a great throwback to the '80's kits and I can see this flying off the shelves.

That home shirt really is class. Love the stripes on the arms, really adds to the retro shirt feel.

Looking further ahead now that we've finally got the shirt fans have wanted for years, what sort of kit will we go for 2018/19? Would love a modern take on the 76/77 cup winners shirt, would make us stand out from all the other Red and White striped teams.

That was just awful - clearly 1980s Liverpool. Whereas this is 1980s saints through and through. The club have listened and will reap the financial rewards IMHO.

As the club are clearly listening to the fans about the kit at last, can I get my request in early for 2018/19 please Mr SFC?

The new gear is great and a shame it will only last a year, so as we'll no doubt go back to stripes next time, how about the colours we wore for the first half century as a team playing in stripes?

2li7d3o.jpg

As the club are clearly listening to the fans about the kit at last, can I get my request in early for 2018/19 please Mr SFC?

The new gear is great and a shame it will only last a year, so as we'll no doubt go back to stripes next time, how about the colours we wore for the first half century as a team playing in stripes?

2li7d3o.jpg

If only you had posted this a few months earlier, we might have got it this year. Love it!

Home kit is what many have hoped for, and been crying out for over a few seasons/decades, me included.

It's the dog's b0ll0cks of Saints home shirts, one I associate with a period of great one touch football, just hope the new manager and team do it justice.

Only criticism from me is the sponsors logo, which would have been improved as an outline as per the away shirt rather than the blob.

Away shirt - will reserve judgement until I see it, first sight good, but would have like the 1980's classic of navy blue and sky. Improvement on last seasons effort no doubt. Perhaps the club are giving away free 'negative specs' to watch the matches its worn in.

As a third kit perhaps a yellow effort in case we reach a cup final.

Well we got what we wanted with the early 80s kit, hopefully it'll stick around for a few years. But yes agree with you that we should also have switched back to navy shorts.

Mixing a 1980's shirt with 1880's shorts makes no sense whilst a return in future to original kits (ignoring sash and squares kit) I can see might have some appeal. But lets quit while we are ahead. The 17/18 home and away kits are awesome.

Anyone else think the away one is ghastly?

I'm not hugely keen tbh, missed opportunity to fully retro-up the away kit in the old school navy/sky, and I don't get the logic of the second successive black away shirt even if it is sort of negative colours of red and white. It's alright though. Love the home shirt.

Edited by The9

Well we got what we wanted with the early 80s kit, hopefully it'll stick around for a few years. But yes agree with you that we should also have switched back to navy shorts.

They're contracted to replace every shirt style every summer - it's been over 10 years since we had a kit that was planned to last more than one season (the flybe own brand kit with the thick black stripe down the sleeve). I say "planned" as the 2009 home Umbro flybe home shirt only stuck around due to administration and the 2011/12 yellow aap3 away only stuck around for 2012/13 because there was only one match the white away could be used for, they even stopped selling it in summer 2012.

And I agree with the previous point that navy shorts is for a separate retroing, as it doesn't go with the early 80s kit.

Who's going to start the sweepstake for the Hummel Denmark kit revival. I'm going 2020 after two more "standard" stripey seasons after this.

Then the Pony tick revival in 2026 is going to be effing epic.

That Pony tick revival sounds painful I hope they find a cure by 2026.

I loved the pony tick kit at the time... it was the first I owned.

Only now do I realise how ghastly it was.

That said, confusingly, I still attach fond memories to it.

Funny, I thought the Pony tick was generally considered a terrible kit at the time and yet has weirdly aged well, even though it has all the hallmarks of a kit which shouldn't have done. The red one I mean, the blue one is still a monstrosity!

I loved the pony tick kit at the time... it was the first I owned.

Only now do I realise how ghastly it was.

That said, confusingly, I still attach fond memories to it.

There are some good reasons for that.

Depends what they do with the back of their shirts - if they go with a white panel we'd wear black, if they go with a black panel we could wear the home shirt or an alternate kit. Don't know what they're going to do because the only back of the shirt shot shown so far has stripes, which (apparently) they're not allowed.

I've just read somewhere that Newcastle are going to have red numbers. Would have thought they'd either have black or white numbers if they were having a plain back, so maybe red numbers does suggest stripes after all?

I've just read somewhere that Newcastle are going to have red numbers. Would have thought they'd either have black or white numbers if they were having a plain back, so maybe red numbers does suggest stripes after all?

They've showed the back of the shirt (with the new Prem numbers too) - begs some questions about the plain back/panel edict if a team can get away with it purely because they weren't a Prem side when designing it. Personally I'd make them have a white panel for matches, and only flog the striped ones to the fans.

newcastle-united-17-18-kit-features-all-new-red-premier-league-kit-font%2B%25284%2529.JPG

Edited by The9

Daily Mail seem to be inferring we have the best home kit this seaosn.

Who's telling them that? And isn't their job to report, not just make judgements? Why are they not sharing this with us?

Sports direct Selling it for £49.99 but saying retail price £54.99

http://www.sportsdirect.com/football-shirts/premier-league-football-shirts/southampton-football-shirts

Dont forget you can get 10% off with a ST.

Dunno about everyone else but as a rational consumer I'll buy from whoever's the cheapest - and if it's just a 10% ST discount that brings it to the same cost, I'll go wherever's cheaper to get to.

Won't be taking up the online offer; even I don't care about the cartoon poster, I'm a kit loser not a poster collector. It's because I've got no guarantee the sizing will be the same as last year, though there's no particular reason to think it isn't, I'd rather try one on. Also, I am fatter. :D

Edited by The9

They've showed the back of the shirt (with the new Prem numbers too) - begs some questions about the plain back/panel edict if a team can get away with it purely because they weren't a Prem side when designing it. Personally I'd make them have a white panel for matches, and only flog the striped ones to the fans.

newcastle-united-17-18-kit-features-all-new-red-premier-league-kit-font%2B%25284%2529.JPG

Are newly promoted teams exempt from the rule change for one year? That could be a possible explanation.

Or, the Premier League have delayed the rule change again.

Are newly promoted teams exempt from the rule change for one year? That could be a possible explanation.

Or, the Premier League have delayed the rule change again.

There are those two possibilities and that Newcastle are going to sell these and wear compliant shirts, I doubt too many fans would complain (I would ;) ).

Is it me or does the white bit look like an apron or bib...?

Does a bit. It's because the white bit stops at the red shoulders, should go all the way over the top. Beggars belief that so-called design people can't see an obvious way to improve the kit (which is overall excellent).

That home shirt really is class. Love the stripes on the arms, really adds to the retro shirt feel.

Looking further ahead now that we've finally got the shirt fans have wanted for years, what sort of kit will we go for 2018/19? Would love a modern take on the 76/77 cup winners shirt, would make us stand out from all the other Red and White striped teams.

My absolute favourite

Anyone know when this new one goes on sale to juniors?

In the (relatively) modern era, one of my favourites was our Uefa Cup shirt in 2003/4. Thought the slightly narrower stripes were good. Sunderland have gone for narrower stripes and on screen at least I think they look smart.

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/06/sunderland-17-18-kit.html

Does a bit. It's because the white bit stops at the red shoulders, should go all the way over the top. Beggars belief that so-called design people can't see an obvious way to improve the kit (which is overall excellent).

I should think the desire to change the shape of the actual material and desire to not have to match the line on the front with the line on the back probably drove this. The shoulder bit provides a break in that.

I think the one Matty has is about 2 sizes too big for him. The one on Benali looks like the greatest thing I've ever seen. :D

Edited by The9

So when does the 18-19 kit thread get started?

Already covered that above. *My* rule, for myself - but I think a decent catch-all, is that there's no point doing anything until something comes out that applies to the 2018/19 kit - like a rule change, or a UA design for 2018/19. Might be earlier than last year if any of the World Cup qualifiers are wearing UA.

My absolute favourite

Anyone know when this new one goes on sale to juniors?

Same time as everyone else, assuming they don't have any at the moment because they haven't been delivered, and they get it in stock in time.

At least we're not with Nike...

DCyPbW6XkAUfBM3.jpg:orig

Also, what kit are Swansea going to wear on the opening day? Their home is white and their away kit is red

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrW9FSHSJ7HN9mjeIf8YoCO1c02gXcd1XJO3kC-lLFT7gvapZC

Guessing that as, like us, they haven't changed kit brand, they'll wear last season's blue away but with the new sponsor on it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzFUNFVS1bOYDvHO7gcr3vN2y3x_xvu_RWx2YWV1U5X_uLCOPIdw

Or quickly throw together a new third. Basically they'll have the same problem we had in 2012/13 with the red pinstriped aap3 Umbro kit and a white away. We ended up in yellow a lot.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-06-28/southampton-201718-training-wear-on-sale-soon

I actually don't like it very much, especially not the red badge. There will probably be something worth having though.

Training kit on sale from midday tomorrow. Which makes sense given that the cardio stuff and tests are starting this week.

Edited by The9