2017-18 Kit Thread

The9

I did notice the kits against St Gallen were suspiciously lacking a left arm Prem badge even though they had the right arm one...

It is nonsense that they expect to sell the logo as an add-on extra. It should come as an integral part of the replica shirt.

It is nonsense that they expect to sell the logo as an add-on extra. It should come as an integral part of the replica shirt.

The NEXEN logo is part of Man City's.

They're not charging any more for them anyway, it's the same cost as two Prem badges:

"The Virgin Media sleeve badges will be available in the Stadium store and Westquay store when purchasing Premier League badges. Fans may choose either two Premier League badges or one Premier League badge and a Virgin Media logo for the same price of £6 (badges only), or £18 when purchased with a name and number. "

Mind you, the only reason they've done that is because they've already sold a load of shirts with two Prem badges on.

I'm amused that the second post on this thread mentions the sleeve sponsor thing yet it takes them 9 months to bother to tell the fans.

The NEXEN logo is part of Man City's.

They're not charging any more for them anyway, it's the same cost as two Prem badges:

"The Virgin Media sleeve badges will be available in the Stadium store and Westquay store when purchasing Premier League badges. Fans may choose either two Premier League badges or one Premier League badge and a Virgin Media logo for the same price of £6 (badges only), or £18 when purchased with a name and number. "

Mind you, the only reason they've done that is because they've already sold a load of shirts with two Prem badges on.

I'm amused that the second post on this thread mentions the sleeve sponsor thing yet it takes them 9 months to bother to tell the fans.

Hold on so as well as spending £50+ on a replica shirt you're telling me grown adults also actually PAY the club to advertise their sponsors!?

Hold on so as well as spending £50+ on a replica shirt you're telling me grown adults also actually PAY the club to advertise their sponsors!?

If you didn't already know that you're on the wrong thread. See also any clothing with a brand on it and carrier bags when they used to give them away before the law change.

Poor thats its the same sponsor, i would have expected a separate deal to maximise revenue.

I also find it strange that sponsors are missing from shop training gear in recent seasons.

We might have signed an exclusive deal which didn't allow for a second sponsor (it wasn't allowed when the deal was signed), and only been able to sell the space to Virgin Media.

As for the training kit, they have to do something to make the player-worn stuff different from the replicas or you get nobheads selling it as authentic all over eBay...

Edited by The9

Team shirts ...

Yeah, last years were skintight, had a different pattern on the material and an extra panel under the arms. Haven't seen any decent pics of the new ones to see where the differences are for the new one yet.

Actually pics 15 and 18 here seem to suggest a similar diagonal vent panel under the arms on the new matchworns too - there are a couple of seams that aren't on the replicas in the red bits around the armpit: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-07-16/gallery-st-gallen-southampton-pre-season-friendly

Edited by The9

Just seen Sunderland's new kit- hideous IMO. So glad we don't have thin stripes like that.

Really? Don't get me wrong, I love our kit and wouldn't change it, but I really like Sunderland's too. Reminds me of our 2003 UEFA shirt which is one of my favourite Saints shirts.

Really? Don't get me wrong, I love our kit and wouldn't change it, but I really like Sunderland's too. Reminds me of our 2003 UEFA shirt which is one of my favourite Saints shirts.

I think Sunderland's new shirt is bloody awful - didn't like the Saints UEFA Cup shirt much either tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't like custom fan kits, fakes, mockups, etc.

FWIW there's absolutely no UA news whatsoever meriting a 2018/19 thread at the moment, haven't seen a single 2018 UA kit yet showing any new design features.

Can't even be bothered to check if this season's Bournemouth third kit is based on an existing style or not. I don't recognise the collar, but it's been a while:

17SotonThird3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Can UA terminate the sponsorship contract because of our relegation?

If they have such a clause in the contract then yes. But no such details have ever been revealed and I struggle to recall an example of that happening with any other club.

What is more likely to be in the contract is a reduction in the amount they pay if we go down. I don't see why relegation would mean they'd want to end the deal entirely, teams in lower leagues than the Championship get sports companies deals.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It might be that UA could pull out of football kits and reach an agreement to end the contract early. Saints are their flagship club in England at the moment and UA probably are not too happy with our current situation. We have seen contracts terminated early in the past - our deal with Admiral in 91 was meant to last 4 or 5 years and ended after two seasons.

It might be that UA could pull out of football kits and reach an agreement to end the contract early. Saints are their flagship club in England at the moment and UA probably are not too happy with our current situation. We have seen contracts terminated early in the past - our deal with Admiral in 91 was meant to last 4 or 5 years and ended after two seasons.

I thought (pretty certain) Admiral went Pop!

So what colour is our new 4th kit going to be for the Newcastle trip?

Our home kit doesn't clash enough with their home kit to warrant a kit change, especially if red shorts are used.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-02-19/u23-highlights-premier-league-2-southampton-under-23s-newcastle

Edited by Matthew Le God

I don't like custom fan kits, fakes, mockups, etc.

FWIW there's absolutely no UA news whatsoever meriting a 2018/19 thread at the moment, haven't seen a single 2018 UA kit yet showing any new design features.

Can't even be bothered to check if this season's Bournemouth third kit is based on an existing style or not. I don't recognise the collar, but it's been a while:

17SotonThird3.jpg

Oooh, I'm surprised. Personally I love a properly commissioned custom kit, and fan mockups (when done well) are great fun.

I guess it goes back to being a smaller person and drawing my own kits in school books! Any footy video game that allowed me to do similar was always my favourite.

Plus - my Subbutteo collection is entirely comprised of odd and unusual kits. Think we have discussed in the past the actual kits we own too.

It's a sickness. Lol.

I'd agree with you but the-word-on-the-street is there's another on the way.

So what d'ya think, orange, turquoise, pink....?

It's not live on tv so I'm expecting us to wear what the U23s wore against them last week, which was what MLG shared above.

Oooh, I'm surprised. Personally I love a properly commissioned custom kit, and fan mockups (when done well) are great fun.

I guess it goes back to being a smaller person and drawing my own kits in school books! Any footy video game that allowed me to do similar was always my favourite.

Plus - my Subbuteo collection is entirely comprised of odd and unusual kits. Think we have discussed in the past the actual kits we own too.

It's a sickness. Lol.

Don't get me wrong, I like throwing together mock-ups of actual kits from actual rumours and information (I prefer the FC12 FM template, for the record, nice clean lines), I just cba with all the nonsense with "what would x's kit look like with y's branding on it?" because it's completely pointless. If it's an actual kit that might exist, I'm all for someone putting together a decent version of what it might look like.

I did all the kit designing scribbles in school and painting Subbuteo teams too.

• 2 weeks later...
So what colour is our new 4th kit going to be for the Newcastle trip?

Our home kit doesn't clash enough with their home kit to warrant a kit change, especially if red shorts are used.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-02-19/u23-highlights-premier-league-2-southampton-under-23s-newcastle

I'd agree with you but the-word-on-the-street is there's another on the way.

So what d'ya think, orange, turquoise, pink....?

Looks like it's all red then, that'll please the Chinese.