2017-18 Kit Thread

The9

I suspect I may have my work cut out keeping this on the front page for the next 7-8 months, but here goes...

Barring any kind of Cortese-esque strops or general balls-ups, it's Under Armour for another 6 years. We will change both shirts in the summer, but not the sponsor, as they're in for another two years as well. So basically all that's going to change is the pattern and style of the home kit, and the design of the away.

With that in mind, here's the Colo Colo Under Armour shirt for 2017... which may or may not be a current template or might be a new one... but is the first 2017 UA design I've seen.

colo-colo-local-2017-6.jpg

http://todosobrecamisetas.com/2016/11/camiseta-under-armour-de-colo-colo-2017/

Oh yeah, and the other thing we know is that from next season all Premier League kits will have plain backs - no stripes on the back any more. :/

Also edited to add the news that sponsors will be allowed on the sleeves in the Premier League from next season as well - believed to be only one sleeve, with the other retaining a Premier League logo.

Edited by The9

If they managed to bring out a decent winter coat which was waterproof, fleece-lined and warm, with a hood and zippable pockets (like last season's blue/orange adidas one) I'd get one, but the plain black thing they want £90 for looks useless and doesn't have pockets, which is an absolute ar5e-pain.

I haven't bought any of the training jackets, too slim fit to get anything under them after September, and the walk-out jacket with the white sleeves is just a little strange. That said, I've got all three colours of the training tees, they're really nice, sensible fits and decent value.

As far as the kit goes, I've bought two home shirts, an away shirt and socks, the Sports Direct alt. white socks (in case we wear them in the cup) and a pair of shorts I'm never going to wear for any reason, so mustn't grumble about those. :D

Edited by The9

FWIW I'd be completely on board with the Patrick homage, if they made the stripe wide enough on the back it would cover off the new plain back regulations too. I think Virgin Media might appreciate the opportunity for people to see that there's a sponsor on the home shirt as well.

In addition, with 7 years' worth of kits to flog us they're going to have to use all the style call-backs and design cues they can get.

Year upon year, I hope for a comeback of this: (please God, make it happen this time :adore:)

B95kSvsIAAAq-nq.jpg

Tbh with the amount of love this kit gets from our fans i'm seriously surprised it hasn't yet made a comeback. I'd hedge a bet that it would be the highest selling shirt we've ever made.

As per everyone else, why this kit design hasn’t made a comeback I don’t know. 2017 please Saints, make it happen!

It would most definitely be THE best selling kit since for years!

Remember that video full of utter guff and nonsense that UA and the club made for this season's kit launch? UA banged on about how the history and culture of the team were so important to them, and before they did anything else they did loads of research to learn all about what the design of a team's kit actually meant to them, which the important bits with historical cues were, etc.

And then they unveiled #braraised, which not only was a desperately poor generic marketing gimmick (particularly in light of the design itself), it had no relevance to the history and culture of Saints or the red and white.

If they actually *had* done even a modicum of the research that they claimed, you'd expect something looking very much like this to be nailed on.

Does this count as "stripes" on the back? Would look terrible if it was a full red back with a fat white stripe on the front. Lovely kit though if we can have the white on the back too.

I don't think the specific regulations for next season have been officially released yet, but as long as there's a plain area wide enough to fit two numbers on a bit of red or white at the side wouldn't be a problem. This season's Stoke shirt that's meant to meet the new regs has stripes at the bottom anyway.

We could have exactly that design with a broad(er) white stripe on the back with red side panels and meet the rules.

Remember that video full of utter guff and nonsense that UA and the club made for this season's kit launch? UA banged on about how the history and culture of the team were so important to them, and before they did anything else they did loads of research to learn all about what the design of a team's kit actually meant to them, which the important bits with historical cues were, etc.

And then they unveiled #braraised, which not only was a desperately poor generic marketing gimmick (particularly in light of the design itself), it had no relevance to the history and culture of Saints or the red and white.

If they actually *had* done even a modicum of the research that they claimed, you'd expect something looking very much like this to be nailed on.

Quite, though they've got 7 years to release it at some point. I'd be surprised if we didn't also get another sash, probably in 2020 as a 10 year retro thing. They've already remade it as a retro kit without the Umbro logos after a whole 5 years! :o

Tbh with the amount of love this kit gets from our fans i'm seriously surprised it hasn't yet made a comeback. I'd hedge a bet that it would be the highest selling shirt we've ever made.

It's been on sale in the shop for a couple of seasons now. They've not shifted that many

It's been on sale in the shop for a couple of seasons now. They've not shifted that many

That's because it's a crappy retro remake which isn't particularly faithful to the original (though still better than the awful Score Draw cotton remake of the 2000s) - who wants to buy an overpriced unbranded remake when you can either get an original or have the club wearing it as their current kit?

As you might have guessed, rubbish remakes of classic kits REALLY annoy me disproportionately. Original or don't bother as far as I'm concerned. :D

Year upon year, I hope for a comeback of this: (please God, make it happen this time :adore:)

B95kSvsIAAAq-nq.jpg

As per everyone else, why this kit design hasn’t made a comeback I don’t know. 2017 please Saints, make it happen!

It would most definitely be THE best selling kit since for years!

I've never bought a football shirt I don't like. Last one I bought was the sash, think the one before that was the blue flame ZDS final one. I'd put in my paid order right now if this was available next season

I've never bought a football shirt I don't like. Last one I bought was the sash, think the one before that was the blue flame ZDS final one. I'd put in my paid order right now if this was available next season

Echo this, exactly. I have the sash shirt in a drawer and also the green away kit from last season (as I wanted something to do running in and my sash shirt from a few seasons ago has shrunk … )

That's because it's a crappy retro remake which isn't particularly faithful to the original (though still better than the awful Score Draw cotton remake of the 2000s) - who wants to buy an overpriced unbranded remake when you can either get an original or have the club wearing it as their current kit?

As you might have guessed, rubbish remakes of classic kits REALLY annoy me disproportionately. Original or don't bother as far as I'm concerned. :D

Sadly I was the one who bought that - which explains why I'm mildly impressed with the current repro.

My grandson is wearing my son's which we bought him from Crediton Sports Shop. They were agents for Patrick and gave us some complimentary tickets for a drink in the hospitality Lounge at the Dell where we were served by Ted. Magic moments. The whole kit was the best we had imo.

Sadly I was the one who bought that - which explains why I'm mildly impressed with the current repro.

I bought one from eBay from a deliberately vague listing on the offchance, and it sat in a drawer for 5 years... before I sold it on eBay. The new one is a lot better, but it's still a guff remake rather than an original.

The last kit we had before sponsors!

Not necessarily - that might be one of the ones for a tv match after the club already had sponsors for non-televised games. That kit had three different sponsors - I'd say the previous one was the "last kit before we had sponsors" as it was never sponsored.

Then again, we didn't have sponsors for all but one match with the sash kit either (Saints Foundation logo under the badge for one game), so...

• 1 month later...

Something else (from November) that'll be different next season - Prem clubs will be permitted an additional sponsor on the right sleeve of the shirt. Depending on the details of the current Saints deal this might or might not get us some more money, though some clubs have exclusive sponsorship deals so won't be able to take advantage of it.

Originally reported by the Daily Mirror on Nov 12, apologies for the moronic tone of the reporting, but target audience and all that: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-given-go-9248842

B95kSvsIAAAq-nq.jpg

Agree 100%. So much marketing potential too! I heard that one of the main reasons this hasn't made a comeback is because of poor sales of the retro version, which is an odd reason to base a kit design on imo.

Probably because all our stuff looks utter ****e.

I'd like to echo that. Absolutely horrific kits that must have been designed by committee and even worse tracksuits, that I can only think must have been designed by a child. I don't think it will be possible to produce something worse, so there's the silver lining.

UA stuff is massively overpriced as well which doesn't help...

If you gave me this seasons shirt I wouldn't wear it. No chance. The worst designed saints kit ever, including the pony abominations. The good thing is, it can only get better. You simply could not design something as bad as that again...surely.