2017-18 Kit Thread

The9

• 2 months later...

Nothing in the thread because there's no news, which isn't really a surprise when you consider:

1) We will be into the second year of a 7 year Under Armour deal - no speculation

2) We will be into the second year of a 3 year Virgin Media shirt sponsorship deal - no speculation

3) None of the 2017/18 shirts leaked so far are made by UA

4) None of the leagues with "one brand" deals have a deal with UA either (eg MLS adidas, Chinese league Nike).

5) The one club that usually gets a shirt leak who were wearing UA (Spurs) will be switching to Nike.

Fluminense joining UA is about the only shirt news for the last 9 months or so, and it's hardly a big deal.

Would be nice if we could get this season's white shirt made for next season though...

Had a bit of a rake around, here are a couple of other 2017 UA kits, Grulla Morioka (no, me neither, Japanese apparently) seem to have a new design - with different shaped armpit panels, different collar and the UA logo on the shoulder.

17GRULLAMORIOKA1.jpg

17GRULLAMORIOKA4.jpg

Also Omiya Ardija (also J-League) have a new shirt for 2017, but you'll probably recognise this one, it definitely isn't a new style:

17OmiyaArdija2.jpg

The red one above looks like the Wales Rugby shirt from a few years ago! I quite like our current home kit, not too fussed on the Black number - but I tend to alternate on Home and Away kits year on year so like you would like the white or would be nice to see a return to Yellow and Blue.

Never been particularly enamored with the Keegan era shirt (but then its not my era of watching Saints), personally I would love to see us move to a sash permanently as it would distinguish us from the likes of Stoke, Sunderland et al.

Well i told one of many UA bods at Wembley, we wanted a proper red and white stripe kit and yellow away kit...... sneers

And they'll tell you they want a shirt that'll sell loads which means it has to change enough every season to encourage people to buy the new one, and that no-one buys yellow away kits.

Permission to orgasm please sir :)

Also, I bet you like the third one better now...

I doubt UA will give us a "wing collar", they tend only to make them with round or v necks as it's the modern way - but they do make them sometimes.

I actually prefer it without the black piping

Fair enough. I like the more original feel with the piping, also the size of the white area is narrower and more faithful to the original.

I've also just done one with the multi-stripe effect from an old Spurs/AZ shirt in the middle of the white panel and that looks interesting (the club has also been using a 5-stripe design cue in a lot of marketing and on this season's kit, so it's kind of a shout out to that too) - but for some reason I can't upload another pic directly at the moment.

If someone can just flag up the first time these appear on Twitter as a leak rather than something I chucked together in twenty minutes to make this thread more interesting, that'll be great, thanks. I call this one "One Step Beyond".

;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=2394&d=1488902462

FWIW I'm using .psd files from the Slovakian FC'12 Football Manager template (Megapack of brand "templates" here): http://fmslovakia.com/downloads/kitpacks/fc12-templates-megapack/). They did me a Saints 3rd psd 'specially and I've used that as the base, mixed with the collar from one of the Admiral shirts, and Macron 1 (old Villa kit) with a slight overlap for the black piping and the middle white "stripe". Works a lot better in PSP than Paint.net due to the layers.

southampton_patricUAstripek.jpg

Edited by The9

Interesting to see how weird the stripes look with the asymmetrical Virgin Media logo - probably why the home shirt this season has the big white area, to distract from the clunky logo making the stripes look uneven or off-centre.

I think that's the only kit which would make non-stripes acceptable. I prefer the black piping, I find black (or white on dark colours) trim gives a shirt a sleek and clinical look. In the same vein, it's why I like black shorts on light stripes as we do, but on dark stripes white shorts often look good (e.g. Milan).

Although, just a thought... the club currently sell the Air Florida kit in the retro store - I have it - how inclined will people be to buy the new kit if it is virtually the same as one they may well have already purchased?

Edited by mrfahaji

Being pedantic, the white front is probably too wide.

Although then again it might have to be to comply with next season's ridiculous plain back ruling.

It is, that's why it was amended in the third pic (the first two were WIPs).

attachment.php?attachmentid=2393&d=1488901516

The back might have to be a single colour, would be nice if they could get some red up the sides though - depends on the size of the numbers in 2017/18 which are rumoured to be a new font to match the Premier League rebrand from last summer.

Whether they use the number font from the Champions sleeve badges or not remains to be seen:

2016-17-premier-league-sleeve-patch-1.jpg

u18premierleaguelogo-a151-3210840_613x460.png

Seeing as the 1 doesn't even match across the two designs it's difficult to make any assumptions. There's also this:

premier-league-2-4x3-2226-3185677_613x460.jpg

Edited by The9

Although, just a thought... the club currently sell the Air Florida kit in the retro store - I have it - how inclined will people be to buy the new kit if it is virtually the same as one they may well have already purchased?

You could make the same argument about stripes every season.

Anyway, here's 0-9 from the Premier League website - not in bold. The 1 matches the later version and is widely used on the site - though I think the bold version might be more likely for a shirt font. The 2 and 8 seem to match - though none of this confirms they'll actually change the numbers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2396&d=1488924610

Edited by The9

Two questions from me!

1) is there potential for kit to be released in say May this time- as in previous years either the sponsor or kit make was unknown till like July anyway

2) Also- are prem clubs now allowed sponsors on sleeves? I wonder who we might adopt for that if we do it!

Can you try it with the VM logo colour reversed?

Bit of a pain in the bum actually, seeing as the logo itself is already in the template and a colour switch will probably introduce some ugly jaggies (colour overlay is the usual colour changing method but in this case just makes the whole shape one colour without the lettering). Suppose they went with a white outline on the black kit this season, so maybe I can use that, if I cba.

Bit of a pain in the bum actually, seeing as the logo itself is already in the template and a colour switch will probably introduce some ugly jaggies (colour overlay is the usual colour changing method but in this case just makes the whole shape one colour without the lettering). Suppose they went with a white outline on the black kit this season, so maybe I can use that, if I cba.
Shame. That does sound like a PITA. I do think it would look classier.

Two questions from me!

1) is there potential for kit to be released in say May this time- as in previous years either the sponsor or kit make was unknown till like July anyway

2) Also- are prem clubs now allowed sponsors on sleeves? I wonder who we might adopt for that if we do it!

1) They *could*, but since 2009 we have usually stuck to June/July even when we haven't changed supplier (not that that's happened much, 2012/13 was the last time we kept both kit brand and sponsor, and look what happened THEN. (https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?37736-New-Kits-2012-13)

2) From next season, yes, and I'm guessing if we haven't signed a deal with VirginMedia with wording preventing secondary sponsorship we'll find someone decent, if not we might be able to use it for someone like Mary's Meals or Saints Foundation until the Virgin deal ends in 2019.

Edited by The9

Shame. That does sound like a PITA. I do think it would look classier.

I'll see if I can find some alternative logo colours online and just slap one of those on it. Might even be able to invoke a colour swap, I don't get into PSP in much detail tbh.

EDIT: There's a white with red text version online, shouldn't be a problem.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTck2wd-OyvSyG0ZKj0dgjgB8cHKvMmtpHdUDSkLvdDnIiFwI-Yo2_Unz0

Edited by The9

I'll see if I can find some alternative logo colours online and just slap one of those on it. Might even be able to invoke a colour swap, I don't get into PSP in much detail tbh.

EDIT: There's a white with red text version online, shouldn't be a problem.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTck2wd-OyvSyG0ZKj0dgjgB8cHKvMmtpHdUDSkLvdDnIiFwI-Yo2_Unz0

That would be an instant improvement to any shirt. It's just a matter of taste but to me that is better looking and easier to see than two lopsided red blobs. Thanks The9.

I know I only have half a story here sorry, but...

I had lunch with the Sponsorship Manager a couple of weeks back, and he said he saw the 17/18 kits back in November and liked them both a lot. Unfortunately he wouldn't give me any indication of the designs or even away colours (despite me begging!)

But it is all done and signed off and ready to go, so it does make you wonder why we always have to wait until June/July!?

I know I only have half a story here sorry, but...

I had lunch with the Sponsorship Manager a couple of weeks back, and he said he saw the 17/18 kits back in November and liked them both a lot. Unfortunately he wouldn't give me any indication of the designs or even away colours (despite me begging!)

But it is all done and signed off and ready to go, so it does make you wonder why we always have to wait until June/July!?

Cheers for the insight.

Try this: if he can't tell you what the new kits look like, simply ask him to tell you what they *don't* look like. That way he can't get into trouble... :)

Edited by trousers

Fantastic, I'd be chuffed with this. Any chance of the badge central and UA logos on the sleeves, Patrick style? Obviously leaving space for PL badges.

Rumour is it only needs one PL badge as clubs are allowed sleeve sponsors from next season... There's a new UA design on this thread that shows their logo on the shoulders, I could probably do that from scratch as I don't have a template for it (and maybe create the collar in the same style), but it'll have to wait until this evening if I get the chance.

Never a fan of that shirt at the time or since, but your mock up looks better than the original.

Probably because I removed red band with the excessive Admiral logos up the sleeve - which incidentally are against the current rules. IIRC you're only allowed one shirt supplier logo within the band along the shoulder from the collar to the cuff, so the repeating admiral logo (or a UA equivalent) wouldn't be allowed.

Probably because I removed red band with the excessive Admiral logos up the sleeve - which incidentally are against the current rules. IIRC you're only allowed one shirt supplier logo within the band along the shoulder from the collar to the cuff, so the repeating admiral logo (or a UA equivalent) wouldn't be allowed.

An end to Adidas three stripes running down the sleeve then ?

All regulations and allowing of advertisements is an incredible change in shirt design from years gone by. Remember the uproar over Jimmy Hill's Coventry's Talbot shirts in the late 1970's ?