2017-18 Kit Thread

The9

An end to Adidas three stripes running down the sleeve then ?

All regulations and allowing of advertisements is an incredible change in shirt design from years gone by. Remember the uproar over Jimmy Hill's Coventry's Talbot shirts in the late 1970's ?

No, the adidas stripes run precisely within those parameters and count as one logo per sleeve (even when the lines are broken, suspiciously). These are existing rules.

Those Coventry Talbot shirts would still be banned under the existing regulations (as would the team name) - their massive T is bigger than the 250cm squared allowed, and so was the word Talbot. As it happens I had more of a problem with the replacement shirts, which were sky blue on the front with white side panels, and plain white on the back. They played Man City on The Big Match and City's home kit was Sky and away white, they wore white having seen the front of the shirt, but when Coventry turned around they were both white shirts. Crewe have a similar thing this season, mainly white on the front gradated from red, and red on the back.

CoventryCity_02.jpg

Away kit here too!

talbot-coventry4.jpg

And here's Crewe's with a red back:

artell1232-3615734_1600x900.jpg

There's something on the new sponsor regulations here - seems to imply that the 250cm^2 size is only allowed if there's no other sponsor on the shirt: http://www.sports.legal/2016/11/premier-league-clubs-shirt-sponsorship-a-new-trick-up-their-sleeves/

The other thing affecting Saints this season was the shirt sponsor for Europe was only 200cm^2 so the player shirts used the smaller sponsor as seen on replica women's home shirts and youth/kids' shirts. Plus of course the all red backs, which we will have to get used to in the Premier League from the summer.

Edited by The9

Probably because I removed red band with the excessive Admiral logos up the sleeve - which incidentally are against the current rules. IIRC you're only allowed one shirt supplier logo within the band along the shoulder from the collar to the cuff, so the repeating admiral logo (or a UA equivalent) wouldn't be allowed.

Would that rule out the 93-95 Pony shirts with the big tick?

Looking at photographs of the Keegan era Patrick shirts I have realised there is a variant relating to the side stripes. On some shirts the stripe extends all the way under the arm to join the cuff. But on others it ends at the armpit. I have checked my own replica Rank Xerox shirt from 1982 and the stripe ends at the armpit. This in on short sleeves only, on the long sleeves the stripe always extends to the cuff.

Would that rule out the 93-95 Pony shirts with the big tick?

Yes, and the logo size rule must have come in generally around this time, as those shirts (Saints and West Ham) went away in 1995, England's Euro 96 socks had to remove the repeated Umbro logo from around the top (UEFA regulations), and replace them with a single umbro logo, which presumably was part of a change in kit regulations more widely adopted by the Premier League soon after.

Again the adidas three stripes don't count as a logo in that context (probably as it's impossible to define that those three stripes around the top of the socks are an adidas device but three stripes on a kit elsewhere aren't the same thing), only the trefoil and the "triangular" adidas equipment sign they introduced in the early 90s which is now their logo on football shirts. Pretty difficult to argue the same for a massive Pony tick on a third of the shirt (even more obvious on West Ham's shirts where there was no partial stripe noise below it).

Looking at photographs of the Keegan era Patrick shirts I have realised there is a variant relating to the side stripes. On some shirts the stripe extends all the way under the arm to join the cuff. But on others it ends at the armpit. I have checked my own replica Rank Xerox shirt from 1982 and the stripe ends at the armpit. This in on short sleeves only, on the long sleeves the stripe always extends to the cuff.

Interesting note - I can only recall replicas with the single colour sleeve.

Matchworn short sleeves definitely up to the cuff here:

southampton.jpeg

Can't get clearer than this - it even looks like stripes ;)

an-undated-file-picture-of-southamptons-kevin-keegan-picture-id79053515?s=594x594

a22e6370d20792511836ac891817c777.jpg

Away long sleeve underarm:

11714-zoom.jpg

Not sure on this one, but it looks to be a single colour underarm:

7843a043adeccee123826dd4c4834b59.jpg

Not on the replica here:

process?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia2.ftbpro.com%2Fpost_image%2Fimage%2F296592%2Ffile.jpg&filters%5Bresize%5D%5Bw%5D=912&filters%5Bresize%5D%5Bh%5D=516&filters%5Bresize%5D%5Bgravity%5D=Center&filters%5Bquality%5D%5Btarget%5D=80&type=.jpg

382eb482da1d2cdf2a5e6aae17d702c7.jpg

or away replica here:

375887d1376076620-request-southampton-1980-84-keegan-channon-et-al-away.jpg

Can't really tell here (I bet that was deliberate too) but the illustration shows only single colour sleeves:

patrick.jpg

Edited by The9

Etc

southampton-football-player-mick-mills-pictured-pointing-during-a-on-picture-id563479739

Still trying to find an "arms up" matchworn pic which proves some of the matchworns don't have the stripes under the arms but haven't seen one yet...

1981:

southampton-v-manchester-united-david-armstrong-jumps-for-joy-after-picture-id183950817

Edited by The9

Ok that's enough of that... here's something else. A pic of the rare, unsponsored, special all red alternate shirt for West Brom (also, red socks).

CHARLIE%2BGEORGE%2BSouthampton%2B1980-81.JPG

And the sponsored, with white socks version worn at... Brighton?

19160-zoom.jpg

Note also Mark Wright's shorts have a Patrick logo whilst Charlie George's don't.

Not sure what we've got on the link below, 15th September 1982 vs Norkopping in the UEFA Cup, but looks like a third sponsor/unsponsored version of the plain red shirt. Getty Images won't allow sharing though.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/mark-wright-of-southampton-in-action-during-their-uefa-cup-news-photo/106556687?

Edited by The9

Hasty conclusion to that is that the matchworn Patrick homes all had white under the arm to the cuff (or at least I haven't been able to find an "arms up" pic without white showing), whilst replicas had a single colour sleeve without the white (or light blue in the case of the away) stripe.

Also that we've had more plain red alternate kits than you'd think in that 1980-85 period for playing against teams in blue and white stripes.

Bit of evidence of the new "sleeve sponsor" Premier League rules:

manchester-city-becomes-first-premier-league-team-to-sign-sleeve-sponsor-3.jpg

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/03/manchester-city-becomes-first-premier-league-team-to-sign-sleeve-sponsor.html?utm_source=notification

Of course City won't even be wearing that shirt next season, so can't make any assumptions about the location of the sponsor either.

Someone should really tell them they've spelt tyre wrong.

The level of geekery on this thread makes the social outcast and freaks down at Games Workshop seem normal.

'Kin weirdos.

Would it be a surprise to know that I used to paint Blood Bowl figurines when I was a kid? Nope. Made loads selling them a couple of years ago though. :)

As rumoured, there IS a new name and number font for next season. Tbh it isn't very exciting.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/354250

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/03/all-new-2017-18-premier-league-kit-font.html

all-new-2017-18-premier-league-kit-font%2B%25282%2529.JPG

all-new-2017-18-premier-league-kit-font%2B%25283%2529.jpg

"there will be five approved colourways: white with black details and black, navy, red, and yellow; all with white details"

Glad they've got rid of those gaudy gold numbers, anyway.

Edited by The9

Out of interest , who are these players, or are they just models

I think I recognise the 2nd player, cant remember his name, played left back in his occasional appearances I think.

Well the first fellow is obviously keanu reeves

• 3 weeks later...

A "new" design for Sao Paulo... that's 2013/4's Spurs collar and the same print as currently on the match-worn Saints kits.

sao-paulo-2017-home-kit-2.jpg

Meanwhile their away shirt is basically this season's Spurs home collar and shoulder design, with some uuuuuuuuugly stripes.

under-armour-sao-paulo-2017-kit-2.jpg

Edited by The9

• 5 weeks later...

Heard they did an advert at St Mary's last night, which involved the players being filmed in the new kits.

Rumour has it the stripes will be broadly seen and there will be no complaints about the choice of away colour.

Rumour has it the stripes will be broadly seen and there will be no complaints about the choice of away colour.

Wide stripes then? hmmmmm.

Under Armour are not afraid to be a bit out-there with their designs, so something a bit different could be on the cards I wonder.

Heard they did an advert at St Mary's last night, which involved the players being filmed in the new kits.

Yellow/Blue? Given the demand, I would imagine we will see the white EFL cup kit in some capacity, wouldn't even mind that being our home kit!

I think UAs quality of gear has been poor compared to adidas and pricing just doesnt match the brand.

This seasons home kit has made it into the top 5 worse kit designs in our history.

any chance they might wear it in the last home game of the season? I think Liverpool are doing that this year.

As things stand, next season we will be UA's only PL club, with Spurs gone to Nike, and it looks unlikely that they will get another high profile club. I do wonder if UA's interest in this country might start to wane? I did see a rumour though that they are after Manchester City.

As things stand, next season we will be UA's only PL club, with Spurs gone to Nike, and it looks unlikely that they will get another high profile club. I do wonder if UA's interest in this country might start to wane? I did see a rumour though that they are after Manchester City.

better than New Balance. or JD.

Am I correct in assuming the back will be solid red next season?

I liked it on the Europa shirt this season.

It'll be solid *something* due to the rule change. Whether the design will incorporate a wide enough "stripe" to accommodate two of the new font Prem numbers, dunno yet.

any chance they might wear it in the last home game of the season? I think Liverpool are doing that this year.

Saints have tended not to recently but they can if they want to, especially this season with no change in sponsor or kit brand.

Yellow/Blue? Given the demand, I would imagine we will see the white EFL cup kit in some capacity, wouldn't even mind that being our home kit!

I don't believe there was a white kit as part of the shoot.

I think UAs quality of gear has been poor compared to adidas and pricing just doesnt match the brand.

This seasons home kit has made it into the top 5 worse kit designs in our history.

I don't think there's any difference tbh. My Adidas shorts came pre-unstitched, so I'd hardly say it was a bastion of quality. Also, I think you underestimate Under Armour rather a lot, they've got loads of high profile sponsorships with American personalities and a huge growing market share already.

Edited by The9

Question on the 'plain backs' - does the entire back of the shirt have to be one colour, or just panels behind the name/number?

For example, if we have a Rank Xerox style kit, would the red 'stripes' still be able to run up the side of the shirt on the back?

In my view the introduction of plain backs is a sad one, it's half the shirt! I also think the back of our home shirt this year looks really smart, whereas the same can't be said about the front!

Question on the 'plain backs' - does the entire back of the shirt have to be one colour, or just panels behind the name/number?

For example, if we have a Rank Xerox style kit, would the red 'stripes' still be able to run up the side of the shirt on the back?

In my view the introduction of plain backs is a sad one, it's half the shirt! I also think the back of our home shirt this year looks really smart, whereas the same can't be said about the front!

Ridiculous one in my view. What purpose does it serve ? Possibly more marketing space to carry a logo ?

Out of interest where does the rule come from, is it an edict from UEFA or have the PL/FA dreamt this crap up on their own?

Ridiculous one in my view. What purpose does it serve ? Possibly more marketing space to carry a logo ?

Out of interest where does the rule come from, is it an edict from UEFA or have the PL/FA dreamt this crap up on their own?

Premier League directive. Just like only horizontal lines brushed onto all BPL pitches next season. No more fancy designs.

I thought it was to make the numbers easier to read, presumably for people watching on television. Also brings the Premier League with UEFA.

Not that I think that's a good enough reason.

Based on Stoke's kit this season which they designed knowing about the rule (before the Prem backed off it this season realising they hadn't actually told the clubs in time for the design process), it's just the panel behind the number, so we could have a broad stripe with the numbers on, and two smaller stripes at the side.

Premier League rule to assist with number identification based on the UEFA rules that have been in place for years - though I haven't actually seen the specific regulations yet.

In fairness, I know many doubt his 'ITK' credentials, however that does tally up with The9 stated earlier in the thread... of course he could have just taken from there... I guess we will wait and see.

You think....