Saints 0-0 Liverpool - Reactions

Dalek2003

MotM vs Liverpool (Home 2016/17)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (Home 2016/17)

Fonte not happy in his interview, says we were poor and need to do better with the quality we have but says everyone worked hard ! Few fans on Rawk moaning we parked the bus , others asking them what they expect as they keep taking our best attacking players and having lost our last two league games we'd hardly go toe to toe with them !

Fonte not happy in his interview, says we were poor and need to do better with the quality we have but says everyone worked hard ! Few fans on Rawk moaning we parked the bus , others asking them what they expect as they keep taking our best attacking players and having lost our last two league games we'd hardly go toe to toe with them !

How come we could go toe to toe with them last season but out of the question this season?

How come we could go toe to toe with them last season but out of the question this season?

We played for a draw at Anfield, got hammered 6-1 at home in the cup and were complete turd against then for 60 minutes at home in the league last season, they are a better team this season then they were last to.

Boufal has to do a lot more than now and again beating a few players going nowhere. What sums him up for me, when Austin had a brilliant first touch and was forced wide desperately looking for a Saints player, the nearest, Boufal hadn't even bothered to make a run into the penalty area. This summed up what is wrong with Saints attacking. Only Austin makes the runs and effort, neither Boufal or Redmond make runs in support. I can accept that Long didn't have 90 minutes in him but Rodriguez, Long and Austin look a much more powerful attack as we looked much better with only two of them on the field. They will try and get into the box and compete with defenders, without that we are just powderpuff.

We were one light in midfield with backs to the wall. Davis is not a player that competes physically, I felt that a midfield of Hoijbjerg, Romeu and Reed would have been more competitive and might have made it a lot more difficult. The team was too lightweight and needs to be physically more imposing.

This was a good result. I'm sure everyone would have taken it before the game started. Agree with all those that lament the shocker at Hull. If we had taken three points there, I'm sure most would be very happy at the Saints' position. No attacking intent shown today so there were never going to be any goals scored. Still lacking a really potent striker though. Charlie looked like a cart-horse. This has to be addressed in the transfer window if the club is serious about improving on mid-table mediocrity (or relegation concerns) let alone progressing in any other competitions.

We really need to be beating the league leaders to emulate last season?

I'd argue we need to be much more on front foot at home against anyone including the top teams if we have ambitions of repeating recent league positions.

Very glad Fonte is unhappy at scrapping a draw against an on form but certainly not unbeatable liverpool side.

I'm not so sure the game plan was to sit back and play for a draw. I think Saints just didn't have the same quality in midfield that Liverpool has. As a consequence, Saints never created a platform from which to create chances. I also thought Liverpool were really good when they didn't have the ball, closing down quickly and turning us over.

At least puel has pretty much ditched the diamond. Now just needs to stop moving Austin wide left or right

We're playing the same way we have all season.

Boufal has to do a lot more than now and again beating a few players going nowhere. What sums him up for me, when Austin had a brilliant first touch and was forced wide desperately looking for a Saints player, the nearest, Boufal hadn't even bothered to make a run into the penalty area. This summed up what is wrong with Saints attacking. Only Austin makes the runs and effort, neither Boufal or Redmond make runs in support. I can accept that Long didn't have 90 minutes in him but Rodriguez, Long and Austin look a much more powerful attack as we looked much better with only two of them on the field. They will try and get into the box and compete with defenders, without that we are just powderpuff.

I know what incident you're on about and Boufal was being held back for a long time whilst trying to get into the box. Very frustrating.

I remember a time when we would have taken the positives, not got too high, not got too low, drawn a blue line under it and moved on.

Forster's best game of the season

Bertrand's best game of the season

Cedric's best game of the season

Long looked fit and quick

Clean sheet against the free-scoring league leaders

Boufal looks like he could be a player that gets bums off of seats

We've played Utd/City/Arse/Dippers, we now have a run of games against teams around us and below us, hopefully we will pick up enough points to keep station in mid-table and progress in Europa. Hard to get excited about watching us park the bus at home but I'll cut Puel some slack, he really lacks a cutting edge so suicide to go toe to toe with Liverpool.

That was a horrible watch in horrible weather, pleased with the point but disappointed when we had the ball on the counter we didn't do anything, there were opportunities to shoot and we didn't. Couple of neat tricks from boufal, looked like he was trying too hard as he's the new boy, similar to mane when he joined. He will come good but feel we need another striker, thought Austin was poor today but as he had a new baby a few days ago it's understandable.

Solid defensive performance

Clattenburg putting in a predictable performance, summed when he thought he was at Twickenham with the first half advantage he played in Liverpools favour, VVD defends well............. "Here you go boys have another go at that from here".

Highlight might well be the sparkly new PA speakers dangling from the roof........... Pitch perfect audio for the first time since the Stadium opened.

Solid defensive performance

Clattenburg putting in a predictable performance, summed when he thought he was at Twickenham with the first half advantage he played in Liverpools favour, VVD defends well............. "Here you go boys have another go at that from here".

Highlight might well be the sparkly new PA speakers dangling from the roof........... Pitch perfect audio for the first time since the Stadium opened.

That was disgusting. Once you've given advantage and they eff it up then it's their problem. Calling it back was awful reffing.

That advantage decision from Clattenberg was disgraceful, how he had the audacity to do that God only knows.

Interesting stat on MOTD, first time since 2004 we have failed to register a **** on target, presuming they mean the Premier League. Just strange to see how we were the team taking our time for throw ins and free kicks etc.

I thought we were dominated and only got a point due to their poor finishing. They had 4 or 5 great chances and we only created 1. Lucky. We are so boring to watch

what goes around comes around we've had several games this season when we've been the better team and come away with nothing (or only a point) nice to have the boot on the other foot once in a while

A great hard fought draw, with a bit of luck that 'pool were as inaccurate as we are these days. Well done fellers. Special mentions for VVD and Forster. We were better upfront when Long came on..And a mention for some skilful touches from JayRod at the end.

At the end of the day a point and a clean sheet against the in form team is a decent result. However we never really threatened them and never looked like taking a shot let alone a goal. We seriously lack creativity and goal threat and that will catch up with us eventually.

Still yet to see that Puel pressing that was talked about when he was appointed.

Hoping for the high speed counter attacking with seamless defence as well .

I miss the last few seasons where we were more effective than Liverpool. Sadly we have gone backwards as much as they have gone forwards .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

There has been a lot of praise for Puel on here but I don't see how he's playing to the players' strengths. Austin thrives on crosses into the box but we don't play with enough width, Redmond is being played out of position and not showing signs of adapting, Tadic has been taken away from the left where he has been most effective and we continue to play with 3 midfielders without any attacking threat whatsoever. It's not surprising we are struggling to score goals.

.............Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

......Hojbjerg Romeu

Redmond Boufal Tadic

.............Austin

I hope we see that team at some point in that formation and start using Austin and Long tactically depending on the opposition. We are rock solid defensively but we have to start showing more attacking intent if we want to get near the top 8 in May

And who do you propose we start with instead? Messi?

Utterly utterly clueless. Clearly has never actually been to a home game in years, if ever

What a silly reply. I like Redmond, but he does need to be dropped the way he's playing. Yesterday was his worst game in a Saints shirt, everything he touched either went out of play or straight to a Liverpool player.

Davey boy Davey boy you've made a stinker there son.

Still yet to see that Puel pressing that was talked about when he was appointed.

We do press. It's just our defence pressing against our own penalty area. We've been blessed over the last few years with managers who like to attack, play expansive football and win games, it was only a matter of time before we got one who despises those things.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Don't care how we did it, not losing to the bindippers a good result. Possibly a bit of luck involved with them missing some sitters but at least we didn't gift them anything.

I'm not worried about the lack of opportunities at the other end - the goals will come. The team defended against a very aggressive attack today and didn't concede.

We were one light in midfield with backs to the wall. Davis is not a player that competes physically, I felt that a midfield of Hoijbjerg, Romeu and Reed would have been more competitive and might have made it a lot more difficult. The team was too lightweight and needs to be physically more imposing.

Puel clearly wanted us to keep bodies back. You could see Davis and Hojbjerg holding back and Fonte/Van Dijk, when they could, taking responsibility for pushing forward and trying to get a couple of bodies with them. That said, their interview made it clear that we wanted to get on the ball more. Don't know how much of that backs-to-the-wall mentality was planned.

Don't care how we did it, not losing to the bindippers a good result. Possibly a bit of luck involved with them missing some sitters but at least we didn't gift them anything.

I'm not worried about the lack of opportunities at the other end - the goals will come. The team defended against a very aggressive attack today and didn't concede.

I don't know, some of their chances did come from our mistakes. We rode our luck.

what goes around comes around we've had several games this season when we've been the better team and come away with nothing (or only a point) nice to have the boot on the other foot once in a while

Fonte does not agree with you though

. Is he a bed wetter?

. Is he a bed wetter?

Where does doddisalegend reference bedwetting? Bizarre.

Personally agree that it is quite nice that the team who had all the chances, didn't take one and then dropped points is not us for a change. We gained a decent point so happy days.

Good post biscuits, it was a tough, tough game, yes we had some luck but they only had 2 shots on target as we defended well.

The majority on here predicted a mauling so a decent result all things considered

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

The draw is a good result and they could easily have battered us, in that respect the game plan worked. What concerns me is the lack of confidence to go forward, had they scored a goal, we didn't really look like creating anything. Okay you could argue we may have changed our game plan but it did feel a bit negative to play that way at home. Liverpool will beat a lot better teams than us away from home this season, but worse teams will give them a game, gamble a bit more going forward and maybe even get a win!

If Redmond could back up his arrogance and small talk on the pitch with better performances, that would be great too. Hopefully Long will give us something extra. Would hate to be a striker in this team atm, you have to feel for Austin a little bit.

If Redmond could back up his arrogance and small talk on the pitch with better performances, that would be great too.

Stuff like this shows that media pundits are worth paying - they know how good Redmond is and a lot of us don't. He was pretty poor going forward last night but so was everyone.

Stuff like this shows that media pundits are worth paying - they know how good Redmond is and a lot of us don't. He was pretty poor going forward last night but so was everyone.

I think he is a good player, but just want him to be more consistent. Okay circumstances of playing against Chelsea and Liverpool may not have played to his strengths, but to be a really good player, sometimes you need to be able to make a bigger impact in those games in order to change the direction in which it is going. However agree, the whole team struggled going forward.

. Is he a bed wetter?

:lol:

Did I say anyone was bed wetting

I'm merely pointing out that we've had plenty of games were we haven't got what we deserved this time we got something despite being second best and we could easily have been humped on another day. I'm happy about that but if you and Jose want to be upset about it that's up to you.

Edited by doddisalegend