Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg - so far

Heisenberg

I don't think any of us have seen him play that well before. Even in his last game for the U23s, he looked anonymous. Against Everton, he seemed to grow in confidence as the game wore on and in the 2nd half especially was the best midfielder on the pitch. An absolute revelation. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Looked good yesterday, you have to think that having the whole new job + new country + new house + heavily pregnant wife may have affected his last year or so. I think with PEH, Romeu and Lemina we have a very good midfield that can be mixed and matched based on the opposition.

His decline under Puel was rapid. Felt at the time that Puels sideways/backwards demands didn't suit his natural instincts and style, particularly after learning at Bayern.

Yesterday he was back to the Pierre we saw early on, head up looking to get forward quickly.

Hopefully we can squeeze a player out of him after all

He played under Pep a manager whose team has more backwards passing than any other team in team in the PL by a long shot so I doubt it was an issue seeing as he was coached by the worlds best possession football manager in Germany.

I am not sure I agree with this. In my very humble opinion where he came unstuck under Puel was his forward passing, not the stuff in the other directions. Far too much of it was intercepted. Yesterday he kept it shorter and more simple. The direction of which was back, forward and sideways - everywhere. He certainly didn't play well under Puel, but the sideways/backwards stick used to beat Puel with is a red herring. Agree with you about hopefully squeezing a player out of him. If he can replicate yesterdays display it will feel like a new signing. Well shall see.

His passing was the problem it went down hill as the season went on it felt like the harder he tried the worse he got until even a simple 5yard pass seemed to be beyond him.

Behaviour economics - regression to the mean - suggests he will not play as well in next game. Give him a run. Be great if he came good. He has shown it in flashes and was very good on Sun.

This theory rather assumes no one will get any better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This theory rather assumes no one will get any better

I think its more that if they do get better their mean performance will increase - there will still be good and bad spells through that increase though.

That said i think that whilst players do improve with experience it seems more that certain managers "get more out of some players" than other managers do. So we may see a jump in his average rather than a steady increase if he likes how the manager wants him to play/feels the manager trusts him etc

Not really sure what im going on about

I think its more that if they do get better their mean performance will increase - there will still be good and bad spells through that increase though.

That said i think that whilst players do improve with experience it seems more that certain managers "get more out of some players" than other managers do. So we may see a jump in his average rather than a steady increase if he likes how the manager wants him to play/feels the manager trusts him etc

Not really sure what im going on about

no no i understand what you are saying. Essentially PEH will either get better, maintain that level of performance or get worse depending on a number of ever changing variable factors. In summary we need to play him again to find out?

Don't think you could have watched it in that case. It's an honest and open interview with little sign of media schooling.

These bits in the Echo openly defy the media training!

“After that, I knew if I kept on going and doing what I do best, and I know I’m not allowed to say it, but Southampton FC wouldn’t be the club for me and I know eventually I’ll succeed somewhere else."

“It’s just step by step and the most important thing right now is to play football and, if it’s not at Southampton, then it’s somewhere else. I know I’m not allowed to say it from a club perspective but this is how it is."

I always really enjoy his interviews as he is mature way beyond his years. If he keeps that passion and determination then he will be a success wherever he goes. Having viewed both the CA and PEH interviews, it seems to me that: a) there is a palpable frustration with the manager, and, b) a lack of respect for his authority. Charlie was quite forthright in that he used phrases like "out in the cold," and "the manager has a big decision to make" when referring to PEH's MOM performance. And now PEH has been quite strong in his opinions too. Add in the Boufal antics after he scored the other week, and I think this shows MP has a problem. Personally, I do not like MP's post-match interviews where he downright refuses to give praise to individuals. Footballers get frustrated when they are not playing of course, but it is very rare that they have the bravery to vent these frustrations so publicly. Having said that, it is now up to both CA and PEH to make themselves indispensable to the team.

These bits in the Echo openly defy the media training!

“After that, I knew if I kept on going and doing what I do best, and I know I’m not allowed to say it, but Southampton FC wouldn’t be the club for me and I know eventually I’ll succeed somewhere else."

“It’s just step by step and the most important thing right now is to play football and, if it’s not at Southampton, then it’s somewhere else. I know I’m not allowed to say it from a club perspective but this is how it is."

Sounds like he is open to a move to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like he is open to a move to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We already knew that though. He admitted when he signed that he saw us as a career stepping-stone.

He's got a long way to go to prove himself worthy of a big money move yet though. He was very good on Sunday, but one swallow does not a summer make. He will need to show that level of performance consistently over a season or two before he starts attracting champions league suitors.

We should probably play him a bit more...

What on the back of one decent performance against Everton? Sounds straight out of the Forster book of contract negotiation.

Edit. I read that as pay him a bit more rather than play him a bit more. ..doh

Edited by doddisalegend

What on the back of one decent performance against Everton? Sounds straight out of the Forster book of contract negotiation.

Whereas continuously selecting players that aren't getting results whilst ignoring those who do perform when given a rare appearance is straight from the Roy Hodgson book of picking an England team...

I don't think any of us have seen him play that well before. Even in his last game for the U23s, he looked anonymous. Against Everton, he seemed to grow in confidence as the game wore on and in the 2nd half especially was the best midfielder on the pitch. An absolute revelation. Let's hope he can keep it up.

Don’t manager also who made about Six changes every game regardless of how well the team played or individuals did.

I hope MP doesn’t fall into the same trap. Under Black’s influence this might happen...

Whereas continuously selecting players that aren't getting results whilst ignoring those who do perform when given a rare appearance is straight from the Roy Hodgson book of picking an England team...

He isn't exactly replacing players that haven't performed though is he? Romeu, Davis and Lemina haven't been our problem this season none of them deserve to be dropped either.

Another good performance tonight. Romeu and Lemina were also good.

What does this mean for games which aren't as difficult as City away? Is it Lemina plus one of Romeu/PEH? Is it all 3? What happens to Davis?

One thing which does need to happen is consistency of squad selection outside of multiple games inside a week, otherwise there will be no chemistry in the middle of the park.