Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg - so far

Heisenberg

Negative? It's a question mate

Play the post not the poster?

Well, if I look down the list of threads that you have started I see a pattern. I could call it the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, or the Alpine Leading Question and You Inevitably Know Where This is Going Technique. The conclusions I draw I shall keep to myself, out of basic politeness.

As for Hojbjerg, I think he's doing fine for his first season. A few mistakes, and occasionally he's surprised by the physicality and speed but I don't think that's a longer term issue.

His most frustrating game was at home to Inter, he gave the ball away constantly. You could tell he was even getting ****ed off with himself.

I think he struggles a bit physically at the moment, but that's not because he's a 'small' player - get him beefed up a bit and he'll be the next one in demand. He's destined for big things in the future, but we're seemingly the best place to nurture his talent.

PEH is a victim of this 'rotation' system that Puel is operating. Players need games especially in a new league at a new club.

Out of interest how many starts does he have compared to other CMs in the league? In all competitions I mean. With the added games he probably isn't far off playing just as much as others.

I would have played Clasie in the pivot role last night & moved Hojbjerg further forward.

I think he travels with the ball better than Clasie. (And I'm guessing Clasie would have to run less too which would suit him).

He deserves some love after his best game yet as a Saint.

He certainly played further forward yesterday. He tried a Tadic impersonation even, playing some clever passes to open space. I hope Puel encourages him to do that more often.

He and JWP seem to be developing a good understanding on who goes forward and who stays back and when. That bodes well for the future. It's a shame that JWP can't finish. Clasie and Davis don't seem to work that well together. Clasie doesen't offer anything going forward.

Anyway, great job by him on both sides of the ball.

He deserves some love after his best game yet as a Saint.

He certainly played further forward yesterday. He tried a Tadic impersonation even, playing some clever passes to open space. I hope Puel encourages him to do that more often.

He and JWP seem to be developing a good understanding on who goes forward and who stays back and when. That bodes well for the future. It's a shame that JWP can't finish. Clasie and Davis don't seem to work that well together. Clasie doesen't offer anything going forward.

Anyway, great job by him on both sides of the ball.

I actually thought he was a bit wasteful and lost the ball a fair amount yesterday. I like that he drives from midfield but he quite often holds on to the ball a bit to long and gets caught in possession. I like him a lot but still room for improvement yet.

Started the season so well and won the player of the month award but seems to have been downhill ever since?

Poor game again today imo and just wandering if he's better than we had in JWP and Reed/Davis?

Young guy and "guaranteed to improve" etc but not been overly impressed so far

Thoughts on him?

Agreed with the OP, but there's that thing about form being temporary and always expected he'd find a way back from his slump - though he's still not quite at his early levels he's already showing he's up to the task.

Thought he was absolutely atrocious against Inter, painful to watch towards the end, looked clumsy and nervous. But last night he looked like a totally different player, light on his feet, agile, quick across the ground and creative. He still gave the ball away a few times very sloppily, particularly near the end when he passed it straight to Coleman (i think) to allow them to attack again, but it did look like tiredness had crept in. The Hojbjerg of last night will be a very good player.

Yes credit where credit is due - looked like the PEH from the first few games

Perhaps Puel has removed some restraints and told the lads to express and attack more?

Did we have a crisis meeting after Prague I wonder?

I suspect we spent most of Friday afternoon and Saturday reminding the players how to pass the ball quickly and move forward into space. I think a lot of the criticism of Martina is unfair when he's clearly getting games away in the EL precisely because he's a more defensive player which comes at the cost of Cedric's delivery.

It's also VERY obvious that the instructions to the wide defenders away in Europe are to play safe and not get us in a position to get caught on the counter, plus playing possession across the back is a good way to timewaste without getting bookings.

Also, until the late Be'er Sheva winner, scoring an equaliser against Sparta would have made absolutely no difference to the result we needed in the final group game - though it would have given us the opportunity to win the group and avoid the seeded sides.

Edited by The9

Thought he was absolutely atrocious against Inter, painful to watch towards the end, looked clumsy and nervous.

Yeah, that was his nadir, but he'd been showing signs of a few of those in the games leading up to it. Even yesterday he had a fair few touches which ran away from him and "second touch is a tackle" was a fair assessment for a couple of those. But you can see he's got a big upside, good workrate, skilful on the ball, strong, decent at regaining possession. I suspect he's the permanent Davis replacement a year or two down the road and he's a good "Saintsy" signing.

:lol:

Only in your head mate

O hello mate, nice "week" off?

These kind of talks are fairly common practice and you must have noticed a tempo and more direct style yesterday?

Would almost be odd if they hadn't meet to discuss that Prague performance and Hull?

O hello mate, nice "week" off?

These kind of talks are fairly common practice and you must have noticed a tempo and more direct style yesterday?

Would almost be odd if they hadn't meet to discuss that Prague performance and Hull?

I`m sure it was discussed as all games will be... win, lose or draw but to label it "Crisis" would be the bit in your head... your usual overreactional stuff

• 1 month later...

Romeu was poor when he was in and out of the side.

PEH is poor when he is in and out of the side.

Players, especially midfielders, need a run in the side to build up a head of steam.

I don't want anyone sacked and I'm not one of the complete and utter c@#*$ who boos they're own players ...

but Puel needs to play the best side imo.

And PEH in a run of games will show his class.

*Hopefully.

He didn't take very kindly to being substituted, went straight down the tunnel kicking out at a water bottle to which Fonte quickly lept of his seat to follow him down the tunnel and then Bertrand followed a few moments later.

As said above, the lad needs a run of games. You can see that the constant rotation is causing us to be disjointed and none of our midfield can seem to get into any kind of rhythm as they are constantly being rotated.

He is also being played in so many different positions he probably does not know what he is meant to be doing.

We need a settled team - not this constant rotation crap.

He didn't take very kindly to being substituted, went straight down the tunnel kicking out at a water bottle to which Fonte quickly lept of his seat to follow him down the tunnel and then Bertrand followed a few moments later.

Sometimes his own reaction to himself when he has fluffed a ball, I think shows he knows he is better than what he is serving up.

Need to keep reminding ourselves that he is only 21

• 3 months later...
They are both good players and their day will come you trolling clown, Glasgow.

This is the only forum on the world wide web that doesn't have any trolls. How more times does that have to be spelled out? Ask the mods; they will confirm this is the case.

This is the only forum on the world wide web that doesn't have any trolls. How more times does that have to be spelled out? Ask the mods; they will confirm this is the case.

Sorry Trousers, temporary loss of my senses thinking Glasgow is a troll. Thanks for the wise up.

Seems to be down the pecking order now.

£30m+ on him and Boufal. Not happened for either of them this season. Shame

Pretty sure I read something about him being injured a couple of weeks ago. I know he was on the bench, but could be an added factor for lack of game time.

Pretty sure I read something about him being injured a couple of weeks ago. I know he was on the bench, but could be an added factor for lack of game time.

Makes sense. Hadn't heard that

Appreciate the sensible reply. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in Hojberg, I get the impression he is mature guy with a first class attitude, the sort that will learn every day and be stronger after disappointments, the opposite of the Osvaldo type. Next season could be a lot better and the next one captain us into the Champions League or a Wembley win. Hey ho, dream at Easter

I like him. He's young and a solid player. We have a lot of good, but not great, midfielders that other teams would love to have. Because of this he is in the "rotation", which limits his playing time. The depth here is one of our team strengths.

The problem is always to keep players happy when they are part of a squad but not getting a regular starting place. All players in this position will consider their options at the end of the season but they will not leave just to sit on somebody else's bench even for slightly more money. If they do move it will be because they know they will be a regular starter at a different club but no club can guarantee that and especially no club in the top 8 above us. OK, players may have options abroad but surely the EPL must be easily Europe's top paying league and this area is not the worst place to live even if not the most exciting. As for the "Koeman" factor that's just lazy journalism.

Can't see a mass exodus happening in the summer, Puel is building for the future (so he says) and players like 'Davo" are not getting any younger so the young players like Pierre & Jorde just need to keep improving and their time will come just like Yoshi who is now a first choice and red & white through and through.

He reminds me of Morgan when we first signed him.

I completly agree. Imo he'll develop to be better than Morgan who is, IMO, a similar player to PEH.

Easy to forget he is younger than JWP, who seems to get a lot of grace from some due to his age (however I suspect if he hadn't come from our academy he wouldn't). If you had to choose between PEH or JWP (for potential) it'd be PEH every day of the week.

I completly agree. Imo he'll develop to be better than Morgan who is, IMO, a similar player to PEH.

Easy to forget he is younger than JWP, who seems to get a lot of grace from some due to his age (however I suspect if he hadn't come from our academy he wouldn't). If you had to choose between PEH or JWP (for potential) it'd be PEH every day of the week.

According to some on the Mongboard we've not recovered from letting Wotton go.

The problem is always to keep players happy when they are part of a squad but not getting a regular starting place. All players in this position will consider their options at the end of the season but they will not leave just to sit on somebody else's bench even for slightly more money. If they do move it will be because they know they will be a regular starter at a different club but no club can guarantee that and especially no club in the top 8 above us. OK, players may have options abroad but surely the EPL must be easily Europe's top paying league and this area is not the worst place to live even if not the most exciting. As for the "Koeman" factor that's just lazy journalism.

Can't see a mass exodus happening in the summer, Puel is building for the future (so he says) and players like 'Davo" are not getting any younger so the young players like Pierre & Jorde just need to keep improving and their time will come just like Yoshi who is now a first choice and red & white through and through.

PEH did the interview in the Sponsors Lounge after the game. Came across as an educated, well spoken and dedicated (to the Saints cause)

Thought he had a very in and out day on the pitch but impressed with his demeanour off the field. Credit to the club

Thought he had a good game, but to expect a 21 year old to be fully at the races when he has been on the bench so much is a lot to ask. His failing is the odd wayward pass but then at his age it's forgivable even if it does gift a goal. The one thing is when you watch him mess up he does beat himself up over it. More game time and this will disappear, I think he does have a bright future.