Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg - so far

Heisenberg

JWP was bullied out of the game today. No one has done that for a while. PEH did OK but he's no Romeu yet.

He was out sped (JWP) as well as bullied. I don't know what his best position is - but it's not wide right midfield, no run and penetration and no midfield cover and defence.

PEH the only midfielder willing to take the ball in brave positions yesterday though. I think decision making will come with experience. Him and Boufal for example you cant knock their ability or their bravery on the ball but their decision making needs work and will get better. It's easy to forget how young they are.

He has a worrying attribute of making at least one really, really poor, underhit, scuffed pass a game that puts us in real trouble.

His passing is generally like that at the moment. It doesn't have much zip. It also requires the receiving player to take a touch to bring the ball under control rather than take it in his stride. He's better running with the ball - not sure he's suited to DM which in our setup puts a lot of emphasis on distribution skills. Rather he seems better suited higher up the pitch.

The strangest thing for me about PEH is that at the start of the season it was his passing that really impressed me. He rarely gave it away, his short passing was crisp and he even made successful long/through balls.

Now it seems like passing is his biggest weakness!

He, like almost all players ever, needs a good run in the team. I think there's a very good player in there

Agreed. I think he and Romeo would go on to form a superb CM partnership.

In the pre-season games the range and accuracy of passing on display by these two was something else entirely, a joy to watch. It just hasn't yet deliverd on that early promise, probably because it needs a run.

IMO, we should start playing next seasons team now, given we've f-all else to worry about.

Trouble is, Puel is seemingly allergic to playing players who play well in the next game - witness Clasie. Must be so puzzling for the squad. Effort rewarded with the bench. Continuity brings results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I think he and Romeo would go on to form a superb CM partnership.

In the pre-season games the range and accuracy of passing on display by these two was something else entirely, a joy to watch. It just hasn't yet deliverd on that early promise, probably because it needs a run.

IMO, we should start playing next seasons team now, given we've f-all else to worry about.

Not enough ability to cover ground quickly in there IMO.

Thats been our biggest midfield problem this season and a large reason we get easily counter attacked, big lack of pace and mobility in the middle of midfield.

Not enough ability to cover ground quickly in there IMO.

Thats been our biggest midfield problem this season and a large reason we get easily counter attacked, big lack of pace and mobility in the middle of midfield.

I think a lack of mobility is a team-wide problem. Watching Bertrand get the ball in acres of space and slowly make his way upfield, wondering what to do with it, is depressing. It's part on-the-ball mobility, part off-the-ball positioning as we're terrible at making ourselves available consistently. It's also why, IMO, we end up dicking around passing between CM and CB too much and also why our throw-in's are a waste of time.

Fix that, and the two at CM wouldn't have to be quite so mobile, as they'd use their passing ability to get the ball forward quickly, so pace is less a concern.

What he does do is provide an option for wide players or defense to play to.

He makes himself available. That's a positive, and he worked hard to provide that cover.

However, his ability to get round a man, or make a cutting pass which takes out an opponent or two, leaves a lot to be desired. Many times he just passes the way he is facing when he receives the ball, which is fine to get it moving, but relies on other players to provide the creativity/attack.

He gives the ball away far too often, and his body language suggests he has no idea what to do with himself when he is with the ball and nearing the opposition 18 yard box. He looks like a rabbit in headlights when he has possession in attack.

Davis was better on Saturday defensively, in terms of passing, and making himself available for passing it through the middle of the park.

Many times that the team was too stretched, so the only other option was a long ball.

Having said all that, he is playing as one of a defensive two. When he was in Germany I believe he played on the right of a midfield three (from videos I watched of his gametime when we signed him, no expert).

The only obstacle on his right side was the touchline.

Maybe a change of formation, with a 4-3-3, would suit him better, e.g. Davis--Romeu--Hojbjerg

However, his ability to get round a man, or make a cutting pass which takes out an opponent or two, leaves a lot to be desired. Many times he just passes the way he is facing when he receives the ball, which is fine to get it moving, but relies on other players to provide the creativity/attack.

It's weird, because at the beginning of the season, that was precisely what I thought he was good at. He seemed to have a very astute footballing brain for someone only 21yrs old.

Haven't seen him play for a while, but sounds like something's gone belly-up. Possibly the lack of games, which I reckon is also hampering Boufal's progress.

It's weird, because at the beginning of the season, that was precisely what I thought he was good at. He seemed to have a very astute footballing brain for someone only 21yrs old.

Haven't seen him play for a while, but sounds like something's gone belly-up. Possibly the lack of games, which I reckon is also hampering Boufal's progress.

He had one game (maybe Inter at home?) where he was terrible at everything but never stopped trying, but he was phased out after that for ages and is only getting a game now due to Romeu's suspension - he looks far less assured, loose with passes and not quick enough at closing down at the moment, but he still looks like he could turn it around with the right opportunities. He's been bypassed by Ward-Prowse for now, but how many games has he taken to start imposing himself?

Personally thought he was best of a bad bunch last weekend & he lost the ball less than Davis.............

He reminds me a lot of Romeu, Schniederlin & even someone like Mane who struggled initially with playing in the PL. As soon as they played regularly became a whole lot better & confidence grew.

You have to give him time. He has all the attributes of becoming a top player imho.

That said, he does look a little heavy, but you could say that about Romeu this time last year...................

Personally thought he was best of a bad bunch last weekend & he lost the ball less than Davis.............

He reminds me a lot of Romeu, Schniederlin & even someone like Mane who struggled initially with playing in the PL. As soon as they played regularly became a whole lot better & confidence grew.

You have to give him time. He has all the attributes of becoming a top player imho.

That said, he does look a little heavy, but you could say that about Romeu this time last year...................

Really id say Davis had a much better game.

I still think Hoj was bought as a long term replacement for Davis but right now looks way off being an upgrade on Davis and won't be replacing him any time soon.

Edited by doddisalegend

Really id say Davis had a much game.

I still think Hoj was bought as a long term replacement for Davis but right now looks way off being an upgrade on Davis and won't be replacing him any time soon.

So few people see Davis having a bad game, it's a miracle his team mates can pick him out on the pitch as his shirt must contain some kind of cloaking device. That said, he wasn't any worse that Hoj or JWP against City, he just wasn't any better either.

So few people see Davis having a bad game, it's a miracle his team mates can pick him out on the pitch as his shirt must contain some kind of cloaking device. That said, he wasn't any worse that Hoj or JWP against City, he just wasn't any better either.

He was a lot better than both of them, on the day.

Davis was very good in the first half. Second half display took a dip (which I guess most players did).

Personally I don't think Davis is good enough defensively to play in a 2 (for me his best position is in front of teh 2 holding midfielders, but he just doesn't score enough goals to warrant playing him there at the moment).

For that reason alone, I'd give PEH game time (he's 21, he's going to make mistakes and clearly isn't the finished article). If PEH had come through our academy some on here would be drawling over him. For me, he is better than JWP was at his age.

Davis was very good in the first half. Second half display took a dip (which I guess most players did).

Only Davis would be described as 'very good' in a half of football where we were pretty much battered across the pitch from start to finish. I might have given you 'decent' or 'did well', but 'very good' is absurd, especially when he got caught in possession more than once (incidentally, why is it that dawdling and having the ball nicked off you is never regarded as as big a sin as misplacing a pass?).

Only Davis would be described as 'very good' in a half of football where we were pretty much battered across the pitch from start to finish. I might have given you 'decent' or 'did well', but 'very good' is absurd, especially when he got caught in possession more than once (incidentally, why is it that dawdling and having the ball nicked off you is never regarded as as big a sin as misplacing a pass?).

I do actually recall him losing the ball by dawdling, agree it's very frustrating and he does it far too much. I think that's why using him as a defensive midfielder will cost us, because he always wants to take an extra touch and look for a way to turn out of trouble. A bit further forward it normally works but getting dispossessed 20 yards from your own goal is a problem. Before then he'd been playing well though, and after that he did a lot of things I thought were good.

Ok, "very good" is an exaggeration, but not a huge one as "decent" or "played well" would be fair. By contrast to say he "wasn't any better than JWP" is a ridiculous assertion and it's that level of disparagement which brings out an overreaction in others. I don't even think Davis is that good, if he is a starting DM or our main AM next season it means we haven't done the right business in the summer.

For me PEH's decision making is still a step behind what's needed in this league. Against City was a great example where he ended up left side of the Man City half just outside the box and delayed his next move and just lost the ball in a really promising position. I guess to eradicate this he needs regular game time consistently in order to get up to speed. He has some really great attributes, but he has some huge downfalls at the moment that for me put us in a dangerous position way too often.

To use a really unfair comparison, but the only one I can think of, I remember Guly's first game when the fans were already wound up because Pardew had just been sacked so weren't particularly patient with him, but I remember every time he got the ball he expected an extra second longer than he ended up getting, and he got tackled. I said to my dad that night you can tell he's come from Italy, because he's expecting a bit more than he's going to be allowed. That's how PEH feels at the moment to me, he just expects a little more than he's going to get.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not comparing Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Champions League winner, Danish international, Bayern Munich youngster, to Guly Do Prado.

PEH the only midfielder willing to take the ball in brave positions yesterday though. I think decision making will come with experience. Him and Boufal for example you cant knock their ability or their bravery on the ball but their decision making needs work and will get better. It's easy to forget how young they are.

good post. Both show glimpses of real talent, but neither are anywhere near finished articles. Up to manager, coaches and player to ensure they progress and not fade away.

• 4 months later...

Moved for the cash or just a hater getting some press ?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/agent-says-90-certainty-player-moved-southampton-money/

"I think he is a very stiff plays. I have said that I think it's great all he has achieved so far in his career. But to see him in the Premier League with his stiff movements, I must admit that it does not surprise me that he can not play in the league. He is too rigid movements".

• 2 months later...
One good game against abject opposition that stood off us - let's see him do it consistently against before better opposition before boarding the hype train.

I tend to agree - I watched him pre-season against Wolfsburg and he didn't look at all great (although that was a bit of a mish mash team). I was skeptical yesterday when I saw the team sheet, said on the match thread that he was too lightweight.

That said he was impressive yesterday, much better than I thought he was going to be, good energy as well, closed down all around the pitch.

But I'm still reserving judgement until I see him doing it against a bigger and stronger side. Good start though.

We were set up wrong to defend the throw-in from which they scored. PEH was marking the Everton player upfield from the throw-in point (a job that a forward should have been doing). Result was PEH was 15 - 20yds from where a CDM should be when Sigurdsson dipped his shoulder to send both VVD and Davis the wrong way and open up the position to get his strike away. Little things ...

**** opposition or not, he had a tremendous game yesterday. He won the ball back so many times and showed great desire and strength. With Romeu out he effectively was the main man and given that responsibility he really rose to the occasion. I never saw him a `destroyer' type, but if he can replicate that performance against better teams then he is going to be a real asset.

What I liked most about yesterday was his ball retention. He kept it very short and simple throughout the entire match, not once looking to play an eye of a needle type pass. His biggest failing to date has been his inability to pass to a fellow Saint. Time after time he has given the ball away trying to thread passes through congested final thirds. Perhaps he is just not good enough or cut out to do that. If that is not his role then maybe he can thrive. We shall see. Fingers crossed.

Seemed a lot more physical yesterday , was looking like the player he showed when he first signed !

His decline under Puel was rapid. Felt at the time that Puels sideways/backwards demands didn't suit his natural instincts and style, particularly after learning at Bayern.

Yesterday he was back to the Pierre we saw early on, head up looking to get forward quickly.

Hopefully we can squeeze a player out of him after all

His decline under Puel was rapid. Felt at the time that Puels sideways/backwards demands didn't suit his natural instincts and style, particularly after learning at Bayern.

Yesterday he was back to the Pierre we saw early on, head up looking to get forward quickly.

I am not sure I agree with this. In my very humble opinion where he came unstuck under Puel was his forward passing, not the stuff in the other directions. Far too much of it was intercepted. Yesterday he kept it shorter and more simple. The direction of which was back, forward and sideways - everywhere. He certainly didn't play well under Puel, but the sideways/backwards stick used to beat Puel with is a red herring. Agree with you about hopefully squeezing a player out of him. If he can replicate yesterdays display it will feel like a new signing. Well shall see.