VVD already on his way ???

alpine_saint

Our players know we will sell when the conditions are right for us and the player. I have absolutely no doubt our stance helps us attract good players to the club.

This. The best players want to play for the best clubs. We're good not the best.

VVD did not come here for the rest of his career. Neither did Mane, Lovren , Wanyama etc. The club knew that and I have no doubt that the players came here on the basis that they would get Premier league experience, develop as players and get a move to one of the big boys subject to the terms. There's nothing wrong with that and in return we get a good player for a short term and a profit.

This model gives us the ability to sign some very good and talented players. Our fan base need to recognise that we ain't Barca, Man Utd, or even Spurs or Liverpool.

This. The best players want to play for the best clubs. We're good not the best.

VVD did not come here for the rest of his career. Neither did Mane, Lovren , Wanyama etc. The club knew that and I have no doubt that the players came here on the basis that they would get Premier league experience, develop as players and get a move to one of the big boys subject to the terms. There's nothing wrong with that and in return we get a good player for a short term and a profit.

This model gives us the ability to sign some very good and talented players. Our fan base need to recognise that we ain't Barca, Man Utd, or even Spurs or Liverpool.

So we are here to milk some cash for the owners and trial players for the "big boys"

We should be happy just to be in the big league with the big boys - look where we were 7 years ago ffs

It's that acceptance from the fans that allows this bullshît to continue

So we are here to milk some cash for the owners and trial players for the "big boys"

We should be happy just to be in the big league with the big boys - look where we were 7 years ago ffs

So if we dont accept the way the world is .....what should we do ?

Yes there's acceptance by me. Acceptance of the reality of where we are. Acceptance of FFP. Acceptance that we have fans like you that have no grip on reality.

I haven't got time to get involved in a long exchange with you and others on this point but ask yourself how you feel we can attract and keep players like vvd who are clearly destined for the top even if we're never gonna hit the top. On that point actually read about and understand FFP. Fans completely overlook that but because of it wmwe will never be able to compete at the very top even if we had the cash and the ambition.

If you have time to watch a move take a look at layer cake. The big boys are Gambon, we're the fella who gets shot.

At the end of the day it's about what VVD wants more than what SFC wants. If he wants a move upwards we should know there's little we can do about it. We've already tied him to a long contract. We'll put a big price on his head. We'll already have a replacement in line. It's a shame he'll go but it's inevitable, and I'm sure he'll see out the season.

Markus "legacy" vs a women that inherited a business

Cortese was doing what was asked of him, 5 year plan and all that, box ticked. In the end she thought he was too expensive and spending all of her daddy’s money, so she called it in.

She is clearly on of a different business plan to Cortese’s, if we had carried on with him then we probably would be in the Champions League but we have paid good money for it.

She is happy to build it on a sound footing and then sell it and if it goes to these Chinese people, you would have to wonder if she was really that bothered after all.

VVD was immense on Saturday and "bigger" clubs would be negligent not to look at him. We would do well to keep him for the 17-18 season. I might be irritated if he follows the well-worn trail to Liverpool.

It has been mentioned already but one of the things that makes Saints attractive to potential recruits is the willingness to let them move on for bigger things at the right price. It's simply Saints' business model. I know that some "experts" like Martin Samuel are waiting for Saints to fall flat on their faces at some point a few years down the line so they can finally say "I told you so," but it has worked well so far.

Overall, it seems a little early for a melt down, even by the standards of this forum.

None of them would ever have left if Cortese was still here.

That front seven of Lallana, Lambert, Pelle, Austin, Tadic, Mane and Boufal could have been immense and we'd only then need three more frontline attackers in the squad but of course our board are too small minded to invest the £50m required. Gutless.

Yeah, what's the point., we should just by rubbish players no-one wants ffs.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Which is what we do by and large but occasionally we strike lucky and find a rough diamond in amongst the clinker. I doubt there's much conscious design about our recruitment efforts but because we concentrate on a market sector that most are not looking at we get lucky once in a while. Most PL clubs want players proven at this level, we can't afford to compete with them.

People seem to forget that we recruit quite a few players who attract no interest from other clubs.

Watch carefully the Matchday Uncovered footage keeping a special eye open on Mr Sturridge in the corridor after the game cosying up to a few of our players, yes, of course England pals but more to it than that? Not saying we could actually afford him but perhaps he is signalling that he might fancy life a bit further south.

Before you scoff, remember the big cuddles between Lallana & Gerrard in similar footage from the season prior to Lallana jumped ship.

Which is what we do by and large but occasionally we strike lucky and find a rough diamond in amongst the clinker. I doubt there's much conscious design about our recruitment efforts but because we concentrate on a market sector that most are not looking at we get lucky once in a while. Most PL clubs want players proven at this level, we can't afford to compete with them.

People seem to forget that we recruit quite a few players who attract no interest from other clubs.

Utter nonsense.

1) Which "rubbish players no-one wants" have we signed in the last few years?

2) How do you know the players we have signed weren't wanted by other clubs? Just because it isn't in the public domain, don't jump to conclusions.

Cortese was doing what was asked of him, 5 year plan and all that, box ticked. In the end she thought he was too expensive and spending all of her daddy’s money, so she called it in.

She is clearly on of a different business plan to Cortese’s, if we had carried on with him then we probably would be in the Champions League but we have paid good money for it.

She is happy to build it on a sound footing and then sell it and if it goes to these Chinese people, you would have to wonder if she was really that bothered after all.

You don't get it do you. Never have, never will.

Watch carefully the Matchday Uncovered footage keeping a special eye open on Mr Sturridge in the corridor after the game cosying up to a few of our players, yes, of course England pals but more to it than that? Not saying we could actually afford him but perhaps he is signalling that he might fancy life a bit further south.

Before you scoff, remember the big cuddles between Lallana & Gerrard in similar footage from the season prior to Lallana jumped ship.

There's drivel and there is drivel.

Seriously, well done.

:lol:

Why dont you organise a march or a season ticket give back protest....

Oh !!! you live in Glasgow, rarely do to games and obviously dont have a season ticket coupled with the fact that most of your suggestions are stupid and attract ridicule

There's drivel and there is drivel.

Seriously, well done.

He's seriously upped the drivel ante recently and for this he should be praised. It's very hard to produce this level of utter drivel on a regular basis.

The others that attempt do it, Alpine, Dalek, Glasgow and Robbie, should take a look at the standard of Charlie's drivel an aspire to it.

Its false economy to keep selling your best players, its going to hit you eventually,we've been lucky up till now.

What message does this send to the fans?

What message does this send to the players?

I understand players ambition, what I don't understand is why we don't make more of an effort to keep them.

1. The more we scout the luckier we get.

2. If player is determined to go it will be on our terms

3. Southampton.pton is a good club to go to because you are developed as a player but your ambition is not stifled although you would be expected to give us at least two seasons

Just my opinion.

Of course he's going to go this summer, he's the best center back in the league playing for a team who's highest finish in the last 30 years was 6th.

Why are you surprised enough to start a thread about it given the events of the last 3 summers? He'll go and we'll buy someone who'll flop or has the potential to be as good as him. Have you not noticed the pattern of the last 3 years? It gets mentioned by every article/commentator every time we play, Jesus Christ.

:lol:

Why dont you organise a march or a season ticket give back protest....

Oh !!! you live in Glasgow, rarely do to games and obviously dont have a season ticket coupled with the fact that most of your suggestions are stupid and attract ridicule

Nah thanks mate

I'll stick my head in the sand and thank Jesus everyday that we even have a club

We almost died 7 years ago

Edited by Heisenberg

He wont end up at Liverpool if the media love-in continues. Liverpool have taken players from us who were well thought of, but not considered among the best in the league at the time of the purchase - hidden gems rather than the crown jewels. He'd either have to drop off in form considerably (which would increase our chances of holding on to him) or Liverpool would have to break their record signing by lot more than their owners seem comfortable with.

We cannot compete with the top 6 financially. Our matchday revenue is a lot less and so is our commercial revenue. The current model is sustainable, and we seem to be a fixture in the top half of the table now. It gets frustrating to keep losing players, but I would much prefer this to where we were 6 years ago. Football history is littered with clubs who tried to 'buy' success (Leeds, Pompey, Blackburn etc).

I guess that we will lose VVD at the end of the season, as we lost Aldeveireld and Lovren. But we will get good money for him. He will be replaced (and the club already have options) and we move on. The good thing is that players want to come here. They know that they will get a chance - and some (Fonte, Davis) stick around.

At least he didn't specifically say he needed to leave to achieve his ambitions.

I wonder which former manager said that about one of his current players? Oh, yeah.

If we keep unearthing these players who turn out to be in such demand by ''bigger teams'', then we'll still be doing pretty well.

Same was said about Lovren, Toby, etc etc. People will sure fly out the ''it's just luck'' line, but i think it's pretty clear that it's nothing to do with luck and it's all to do with excellent scouting and recruitment.

The "Southampton way" would be fantastic if you're a shareholder or owner

But this forum is for fans and it amazes me that Saints fans care so little about our club being stripped each and every summer

Unless something changes soon (new owners) we will look back on this period as a serious opportunity missed

I was there when we went to Milan and finished 13th - it was amazing

So what's the solution you football business genius? How do you suggest we go about keeping all these players (against their will) and still manage to compete? Come on Bôllock brain, let's hear your grand plan...

Against their will? VVD just signed a new 6 year contract - is he desperate to leave a few months later?

Against their will? VVD just signed a new 6 year contract - is he desperate to leave a few months later?
So naive, if you think he signed that contract because he intends to honour it then you are far more stupid that I initially anticipated. If a big offer comes from say, Chelsea do you think he'll turn it down? Of course he won't, he will want to leave as will all of our players when the big teams come calling, so answer my question, how do you propose we keep all of these players and still manage to compete?

So naive, if you think he signed that contract because he intends to honour it then you are far more stupid that I initially anticipated. If a big offer comes from say, Chelsea do you think he'll turn it down? Of course he won't, he will want to leave as will all of our players when the big teams come calling, so answer my question, how do you propose we keep all of these players and still manage to compete?

You keep our best players by signing them to long contracts

VVD just signed a 6 year contract mate - he is not deaperate to leave

VVD is ambitious and will want to win trophies - he will only be desperate to leave if he feels he can't do that here

You keep our best players by signing them to long contracts

VVD just signed a 6 year contract mate - he is not deaperate to leave

VVD is ambitious and will want to win trophies - he will only be desperate to leave if he feels he can't do that here

LMFAO!! You're a deluded fool, he didn't sign that contract as a gesture of his long term loyalty to SFC, he signed it so that SFC gets a shed load of cash when his stock rises and the offers come in from the big 6. Your understanding of football is similar to that of my 12 year old daughters. I've got the measure of you now, thanks.

LMFAO!! You're a deluded fool, he didn't sign that contract as a gesture of his long term loyalty to SFC, he signed it so that SFC gets a shed load of cash when his stock rises and the offers come in from the big 6. Your understanding of football is similar to that of my 12 year old daughters. I've got the measure of you now, thanks.

No need to be rude mate - I haven't been rude to you?

Maybe read this >>> can't see any mention of your claims here? https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-05-07/van-dijk-signs-new-six-year-contract-with-saints

I have been told Saints players don't have BIG club release clauses so he's here for 6 years unless we decide to cash in again

Its pointless getting excited when one of our player's signs a long contract, all it means is that we command a higher fee for that player when he is sold the next season or the season after.

Apart from the elite clubs its the same for all of us, sad but true.

We either accept it or give up on the game.

My love for the money governed game is depreciating and its only my love for saints that keeps me interested.

Why do we just accept that our best players will move on?

What is frustrating is that it has become acceptable that they do.

I cannot remember a time when we have sold so many of our best players season after season.

If this the business model it will eventually crash and burn.

The academy has its work cut out bringing the players through, its not easy for a young lad to step up to Premier League standard.

When Brian Clough developed Nottingham Forest into such a good side, I don't remember there being a stampede of their players to leave to go to so called big clubs.

Saints are my club,I have a right to my opinion as do any other fans,its just frustrating to see a good player develop only to see him join the ranks of the departed.

I don't know what will happen with VVD all I know its not good to have this sort of speculation, half way through a season, on one of the best centre halves this club has ever seen.

Lets stop the name calling its childish,everyone has the right to an opinion.

Why do we just accept that our best players will move on?

What is frustrating is that it has become acceptable that they do.

I cannot remember a time when we have sold so many of our best players season after season.

If this the business model it will eventually crash and burn.

The academy has its work cut out bringing the players through, its not easy for a young lad to step up to Premier League standard.

When Brian Clough developed Nottingham Forest into such a good side, I don't remember there being a stampede of their players to leave to go to so called big clubs.

Saints are my club,I have a right to my opinion as do any other fans,its just frustrating to see a good player develop only to see him join the ranks of the departed.

I don't know what will happen with VVD all I know its not good to have this sort of speculation, half way through a season, on one of the best centre halves this club has ever seen.

Lets stop the name calling its childish,everyone has the right to an opinion.

Good post.

I only think VVD signed because Les said to him that you can go after a couple more years, don't think he would have signed otherwise.

However, Heisenberg raises the point, does VVD's new contract have a release clause? If not, then whilst we can hold him for the full 6 years, Les and Virgil probs have a mutual agreement, and that is the same with most our players, similar to Morgan's departure and Wanyama's this year.

And that is our business model, sign young promising players, improve them and sell them on for heavy profit.

If anyone's answer to keeping players is give them £100k a week, Leicester have done that with Vardy, Mahrez, Drinkwaters on £80k now, and others like Musa+Slimani also on high wages, its not working for them though is it, just looks like hunger has gone.

What our business model means is we get quality players on £50/60k without really overdoing it on wages, one thing I'll say is that maybe we could spend another £10-15m more this season, as I thought TV money would cover the wages, maybe we have stored that £15m for a rainy day!

----------------------------------

PS. What makes me laugh is how so many fans hate the money in football and that it is now a 'business, not a sport', or that 'fans are now customers', yet those same fans demand that more money is spent or that player X deserves a higher wage, only furthering the inequalities :lol: :lol: